Why Indians are so much obsessed with English Language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Does not matter. I have seen dark skinned Muslims claiming Persian and Arab descent. Inferiority complex.

And you are fair skinned?

Is that what you want to convey?

Is it because of foreign genes down the line because of invasion or other reasons or being shut out from the sun?

Are yo aware that there are dark skinned Arabs?

Why be so colour conscious?

Maybe an Albino would be your choice!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Answer my question rather than useless lectures. I did not talk or post about foreign words in Bengali , I simply asked is Turkish langauge as much indigenous to Bengal as Bengali? Is English langauge as much indigenous to Tibet as Tibetan itself? Yes or no, and do not beat about bush this time.
So to you the Turkish language is the be all and end all of the issue. right?

Are you of Turk descent?

If you cannot understand a simple post in English (sigh!), then one has little to console you with!

It is you who is beating about the Bush and acting like Sanjay Jha or like Rahul Gandhi parroting the same nonsense for all issues on the table!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If we can accept English as "Common" what prevents us accepting any other language including Hindi as common ?? Only our prejudices of being English educated ? and the rest being slaves ???

And pray tell me what has that English education given the country and society ?
@Bhadra.

Good point!

What has the English language given us?

Universal acceptability and jobs beyond our shores, in all economic strata - be the great academic giants or labour!

It has reduced the burden on India or providing jobs or else the unemployment would have caused a serious social issue!

A common language in India?

Which language?

Hindi?

Way less than 50% are Hindi speaker and the Hindi they speak are not mutually intelligible.

And why should non Hindi speakers accept Hindi?

If they did, then there would have not been the Anti Hindi agitation down South!

English belong to none and so neutral in fanning sub nationalist chauvinism!

Last edited by a moderator:

Waffen SS

This reminds me of the adage – cut off the nose to spite the face.

We have a distinct advantage of knowing English.
And it is being advocated that we get rid of this advantage just because the Chinese, Japanese, Germans, Patagonians, most of them, don't know English and only their own language
They can communicate in their own language because they have one language. In India, we have a whole lot of languages and we are not ready to accept any of the language as a sole language of India.
How many Chinese, Japanese, Germans, Patagonians who do not know English hold office in the international field? It is essential to know a language that has universality. Earlier, it was French and not it is English.
And who the hell saying here to stop English language education? :facepalm:

Let me give an example.
Hindi is the link language(not the National Language) in India and anyone who knows Hindi can navigate around India with very little problem and can even get jobs anywhere in India.
But if someone knew only his mother tongue, would that person be able to navigate around India or get a job?
Jyoti Basu made Bengali the sole language of instruction in Bengal. The result was that unemployment soared and people were unable to compete on an All India basis. Who suffered?
That was because English was not omitted in all India level, WB is part of India, if we need to change whole India needs to change not only WB. So dreaming of changing system only in WB and not in other part India is naive. It is simple.

Go back to pre Independence and even post independence. Because of knowing the Mother tongue, English and even Hindi, Bengalis were in jobs of administration on an all India basis, they were lawyers and doctors by the abundance and educationists by the droves. Why? Other was slow in acquiring these skills.
But today?
Who dominate the Central Services, and other professions?
And why the decline in Bengalis?
Because of ultra chauvinism of Jyoti Basu that we are Bengalis and we must only know Bengali. That bloke ironical as it maybe was steeped in the English language and was educated in England!
On the other hand, in Bengali, when unemployment hit the Bengalis hard, and because of Hindi films, a large number of semi literate Bengalis learnt to converse in Hindi and so can be seen all over India selling flowers, and working in semi skilled jobs. Gujarat, Maharastra , Kerala is full of such boys. In fact, one of my Kerala friends jokingly said that Bengali is the second language of Kerala!
Therefore, there is the necessity to know a language that has international and national interactivity, not only for intelligible communications, but also to acquire jobs, in all spheres of activity and profession.
But scratch the issue of a national language, the backs of each community is up!
The Dravidian Movement is an ideal example of rejection of Hindi as the language that can be imposed on India.
I am not calling hindi to be national language, please read my comments carefully before you say.

I am saying Hindustani in Roman script not Hindi in Devnagri script, Hindustani was official language of INA Government.

If Hindustani is made national language then all who knows this well will get jobs through out India, just like during British era those who knew English good got jobs through out India.

Because of ultra chauvinism of Jyoti Basu that we are Bengalis and we must only know Bengali. That bloke ironical as it maybe was steeped in the English language and was educated in England!
You dont know WB politics then for sure. :truestory:

It was Hypocrisy, CPM leaders issued that as you said, but sent their children to English medium schools, still you call it Chauvinism? Or Hypocrisy? As a result large un-employment and CPM gangstars recruited those semi-educated dissatisfied youth, when it became too bad then to give them job, "Shilpayan" drama started.

I just hate this kind of blind nationalism. WB still got burn marks from this language-loving nationalism which kicked out english from schools and colleges only to produce generations of students who are scared of english.

Am I allowed to call them Idiots?
Really? You know Bihari and UP immigrants are making Bengalis in WB minority? You know Bengalis are minority in Kolkata, Siliguri? How many shops now use Bengali language written sign boards?

We will be Indian not by eliminating our different language, just following unity in diversity, and that is when you settle in different area learn their language similarly when people from those area will settle in your state they should adopt local language.

The problem is Hindiwalas come and settle in WB but dont adopt Bengali culture atleast dont speak Bengali and all Indianistic Bengalis dont care about this.

If language jingoism is the problem, then this problem comes from Hindiwalas, not Bengalis or Tamil, Hindiwalas through out country try to force Hindi but Tamils only in Tamilnadu.

Santu

I stay in Bangalore.... I came across one situation in local bus. bus conductor didn't return 5 or 10 rupees to one girl.. Then she started arguing with conductor.. she is speaking in hindi and conductor was unable to understand what she is speaking.. now the funniest part is she started shouting at him yelling "dont you know hindi??dont u know hindi ? i dont know kannada... u speak in hindi" etc... i was like dumbstruck.. And this kind of behavior might be the reason for tamilnadu not to choose to teach hindi to their kids.. We people in south prefer to speak in local language than to speak in any other language.. its not wrong and it's wrong to abuse us cause we donno hindi :(

Srinivas_K

Country flag
I stay in Bangalore.... I came across one situation in local bus. bus conductor didn't return 5 or 10 rupees to one girl.. Then she started arguing with conductor.. she is speaking in hindi and conductor was unable to understand what she is speaking.. now the funniest part is she started shouting at him yelling "dont you know hindi??dont u know hindi ? i dont know kannada... u speak in hindi" etc... i was like dumbstruck.. And this kind of behavior might be the reason for tamilnadu not to choose to teach hindi to their kids.. We people in south prefer to speak in local language than to speak in any other language.. its not wrong and it's wrong to abuse us cause we donno hindi :(
Once we are going through the baggage and body check in Hyderabad Airport and the CISF guy is speaking in Hindi stopped my father and spoke some thing.

My father did not know hindi and he said surprisingly "you don't know hindi??"

Then I came back and said to him in a rough tone "Is it compulsory to know hindi here??"

Then that guy calmed down himself and soon our baggage check and body check is over, later my father went to him and told that He is a Superintendent in Customs, showed his identity card, then that smiled and said "ok Sir".

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
@Bhadra.

Good point!

Universal acceptability and jobs beyond our shores, in all economic strata - be the great academic giants or labour!

It has reduced the burden on India or providing jobs or else the unemployment would have caused a serious social issue!

A common language in India?

Which language?

Hindi?

Way less than 50% are Hindi speaker and the Hindi they speak are not mutually intelligible.

And why should non Hindi speakers accept Hindi?

If they did, then there would have not been the Anti Hindi agitation down South!

English belong to none and so neutral in fanning sub nationalist chauvinism!
Yes , those who fail to generate Jobs at home praise English so that their populations can be enslaved in English speaking countries..

The present day Pakistan adopted Urdu - a language not spoken by Punjabies, Kashmiries, Sindhies, Baluchies, Pathans and any other but only by UP and Bihar wala Muhajirs..

That is not bad and Pakistanis have not suffered any thing due to that.....

Knowing English as a second language is alright for elites like you but the language of governance and administration has to be the local language and continues to be so....

And what English do the educated Indians know ? They are trained in an English in Macaulay mould only to be fit as a clerk or a Babu to fill registers and type a draft....

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
@Waffen SS, you have some good points, but having something like "Hindustani in Roman script" is a little too far-fetched. Roman script is not phonetic. It cannot accommodate all the sounds and expressions of most Indian languages.

I do agree that we need a national identity of our own and a commonly unifying language, but which language that ought to be, is the big question. If it is any language commonly used today, it will not work. Sanskrit is a much-touted option in such discussions, but the Muslims aren't going to like that.

And it begs the question, do we really need to spend so much money, manpower, resources and time on reviving a language and propagating its usage right now? Is it the need of the hour?

Santu

Yes , those who fail to generate Jobs at home praise English so that their populations can be enslaved in English speaking countries..

The present day Pakistan adopted Urdu - a language not spoken by Punjabies, Kashmiries, Sindhies, Baluchies, Pathans and any other but only by UP and Bihar wala Muhajirs..

Knowing English as a second language is alright for elites like you but the language of governance and administration has to be the local language and continues to be so....

And what English do the educated Indians know ? They are trained in an English in Macaulay mould only to be fit as a clerk or a Babu to fill registers and type a draft....
Sir , In country like india , because of lack of common language it's hard to get co-ordinate. assume there are 3 DRDO labs working on some product which are located in chennai , agarthala and kanpur. co-ordination between them will not possible unless some one knows all the three local languages.. But one can ask a question that why cant we make one of our indian language as national laung and make others learn it , which is not posible india and we know reasons why. thus speaking choosing english is for work related thing is still good.

Eastman

Country flag
Do you know Xuangzang? Do you know that he visited India in 629-45 ? Do you know that he calls Bhaskarvarman as a brahmin and as a Shaiva? Even Samudragupta in fourth century AD knows a king of kamrupa who has varman as his title. Are you aware that Varman is brahmanic title( as per Shastras, a ruler should use that title)? Where is mention of Bodos or other tribals during that time?
Well maybe this is getting derailed but yet lets finish it up.
Well I suppose you have heard of Ghatotkacha the half demon son of Bhima (hindu mythology believe the native tribes were demons :heh:) Dimacha-Kacharis claims that they are descents of Ghatotkach, and ever heard of the Naga Princess Uloopi? one of Arjuna's wife? That is some thing of Mahabharata times (5000 BC maybe?)

Assam History is generally scripted from around 300 AD but that doesnot mean that the Land was uninhabited before that but historic literature are scarcely available.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
I just like to share my thoughts on this matter so if it offends any member please ignore it.Being an engineering student in jadavpur I think the importance of English has dawned upon me.If a student is not good in English it becomes very difficult for him to understand the concepts.He is forced to mug up the things without getting the meaning.
Also without English one cannot understand most of computer science theories as nearly 90 % of computer theory development has taken place in America.Say for example if one does not know proper English he will find it difficult to write programs in Java,C,Python(all written by Americans and Canadians like Ritchie,Gosling ) as these languages have their keywords and functions defined in English(basically their keywords are common English words like for eg goto,if,continue,break etc).A students logic and idea may be great but without a grasp of basic English he cannot do anything.Being proficient in English certainly helps in these matters.
As for vernacular languages being used its a good idea.Even I find it irritating to have to search the meaning of all the definitions and terms in net when I am reading a tech book.Sadly we cannot do without English as it is not possible to rewrite an entire programming language in vernacular.(It can be done but is strenuous and is quite difficult)The development of computer science and other engineering studies has gone so far translating them is a Herculean task.
For Germans and French using their own languages in school it is true.However even they study English and german or french programmers have to do their work in English only(germans have an advantage as English is a germanic language plus it has french words too due to French conquest of Britain in 1066) .If English is not used we would only remain backward in higher studies and names like Sundar Pichai:)salute:) who have made it big in the tech world would be less heard off.

(P.S. Just like to add that we Bengalis know that Bengali is not the official/national language of India:rofl:.)

Last edited:

Eastman

Country flag
@Pratap maybe you are taking the reference of this site History of Assam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
but my friend this site gives information of the historic kingdoms that prevailed in Assam and not gone deep into the native descendants at times.

another site for reference
Kingdoms of South Asia - Indian Kingdoms of Assam

The Kacharis belonged to the Dimasa Bodo Kachari group and called themselves descendents of Ghatotkacha, the son of the Pandava Prince Bhima.
I am not sure if Dimasa Karchari and Bodo Kacharis are the same but if you claim that they descent along or after the Brahmins then you are ignorant of Assamese History, Gosai-Brahmin-Kalita-Koch were the people who segmented the native population and positioned themselves as superior to the other people, to note to have a superior caste containing Gosai-Brahmin-Kalita-Koch their must be a general population to generalise themselves as superior caste to the others.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Then what is the problem that caused you to start the thread?

So, what is the beef all about?

And who says anyone is obsessed in any way for any language?

And could you reconcile with this with your above quote?

Why Indians are so much obsessed with English Language? We should throw this language and English medium education in garbage and replace it with Hindustani in Roman script. India's National language should be Hindustani, all schools should stop teaching English and replace it with Hindustani,
That was because English was not omitted in all India level, WB is part of India, if we need to change whole India needs to change not only WB. So dreaming of changing system only in WB and not in other part India is naive. It is simple.
If the whole of India did not change, then who asked WB to act the hero and change to the vernacular and cause misery to the multitudes in that State?

And why should they change something that is going on so well, just because of cosmetic nationalism?

Andhra has sent so many to the US for education and who have taken jobs there. They have relieved AP from the pressure of giving jobs. So., why should they agree to the idea of cosmetic nationalism?

And do you really think South India will take to Hindustani, as you advocate, with warm embrace?

Never forget the anti Hindi agitation that brought the nation to a halt!

I am not calling hindi to be national language, please read my comments carefully before you say.

I am saying Hindustani in Roman script not Hindi in Devnagri script, Hindustani was official language of INA Government.

If Hindustani is made national language then all who knows this well will get jobs through out India, just like during British era those who knew English good got jobs through out India.
Are you aware what is the difference between Hindi and Hindustani?

The Army used to use it earlier, but now is on Hindi.

Hindustani is a mixture of Hindi and Urdu.

Do you think that folks of your 'nationalist' bent of mind, who are aiming to form the next Govt, will accept that?

Think again!

You dont know WB politics then for sure. :truestory
\
It was Hypocrisy, CPM leaders issued that as you said, but sent their children to English medium schools, still you call it Chauvinism? Or Hypocrisy? As a result large un-employment and CPM gangstars recruited those semi-educated dissatisfied youth, when it became too bad then to give them job, "Shilpayan" drama started.
:
So, the ultra Bengalis were hypocrites!

So, what makes you feel that history will not repeat itself?

Their children will go abroad and earn huge sums, while the others slog the skin off their bottom?

That is Kejriwal logic!

Really? You know Bihari and UP immigrants are making Bengalis in WB minority? You know Bengalis are minority in Kolkata, Siliguri? How many shops now use Bengali language written sign boards?

We will be Indian not by eliminating our different language, just following unity in diversity, and that is when you settle in different area learn their language similarly when people from those area will settle in your state they should adopt local language.

The problem is Hindiwalas come and settle in WB but dont adopt Bengali culture atleast dont speak Bengali and all Indianistic Bengalis dont care about this.

If language jingoism is the problem, then this problem comes from Hindiwalas, not Bengalis or Tamil, Hindiwalas through out country try to force Hindi but Tamils only in Tamilnadu.
If Hindiwalas are coming to Calcutta and Siliguri and having Hindi boards, then why are you carping?

I thought you wanted the whole of India to chuck English out and have Hindoostani.

You want to eat your cake and have it too?

I kinow many Hindi speaking chaps, who speak, eat and live like Bengalis.

Dinesh Trivedi, Dalmia, Ahluwalia of the BJP and there are so many of them.

So, don't at one time be ultra nationalist and then switch to narrow regional chauvinism!

Eastman

Country flag
I am not sure if Bodos can be termed as Adivasi or not but what google says

Adivasi
ˌɑːdɪˈvɑːsi/
noun
a member of any of the aboriginal tribal peoples living in India before the arrival of the Aryans in the second millennium BC.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

I daresay that the Indians beyond our shores in English speaking nations are 'enslaved' in any way! If so, how?

What about those who are in Dubai and the Middle East where Arabic is the language, but the jobs they hold are working in English!

What about those in Scandinavian countries and In Germany and elsewhere, where there they work through English?

The present day Pakistanis speak Urdu, which is actually a language which came from UP. Heard of the Mohajir and their plight? And what is happening in Pakistan? Isn't there a resurgent subnationalism and the country is in its throes, apart from the sectarian war?

Knowing English is an advantage, and the English spoken by Indians are not elitist. or confined to the elite. That is the misconception! Laloo, Mayawati, Mulayam are now in the elite cadre. Why do they speak in what can be termed as 'Indian' English?

Who says the the English taught is in the MacCaulay mould? And they are all clerks and Babus?

I wonder if you feel that all of us on this forum that because we know English, we are all Clerks and Babus and only fit to to fill registers and type a draft...?

Where do you fit in?

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
To be what one wants to be is in his mind and not in his ancestry!

There are enough cases of people claiming to be Indians, who were traitors to the Indian cause!

I can say that Haldane was more Indian than many of us.

I have seen him and seen his fierce Indianess too!

He was not born an Indian.

Heard of Sister Nivedita?

She was Irish but in behavior a total Indian or so we are told!

Did not see her personally to authenticate that!
Sir, you have seen J.B.S.Haldane ? Must be some sight....Did he appear as smart & brilliant as he actually was ?

Waffen SS

Then what is the problem that caused you to start the thread?

So, what is the beef all about?

And who says anyone is obsessed in any way for any language?

And could you reconcile with this with your above quote?
We are against extra preference that is given to English some times neglecting mother tongue and English medium education, but not study of English,can you understand?

The extra obsession as I said is proved because many Indian parents feel pride that their children dont speak Indian languages, not sending children to mother tongue education, speaking English sentences in middle of Indian language are not example of obsession?

If the whole of India did not change, then who asked WB to act the hero and change to the vernacular and cause misery to the multitudes in that State?

And why should they change something that is going on so well, just because of cosmetic nationalism?
And you think I support that policy? WB Commie government did not want to change India, they wanted to make vote bank in WB. And stopping English education in Government school then sending their own children to English medium school is unacceptable. Changing India was just their excuse to create vote bank.

Andhra has sent so many to the US for education and who have taken jobs there. They have relieved AP from the pressure of giving jobs. So., why should they agree to the idea of cosmetic nationalism?

And do you really think South India will take to Hindustani, as you advocate, with warm embrace?

Never forget the anti Hindi agitation that brought the nation to a halt!
And what about Brain drain then? Can you imagine if those people of Andhra remained in India, how greatly we would be benefited? Hindustani is not Hindi, Netaji proposed it, and Southern states if Hindi is not imposed on them on state level, they will not do any thing.

Are you aware what is the difference between Hindi and Hindustani?

The Army used to use it earlier, but now is on Hindi.

Hindustani is a mixture of Hindi and Urdu.

Do you think that folks of your 'nationalist' bent of mind, who are aiming to form the next Govt, will accept that?

Think again!
I am well aware of that fact, infact Hindustani was mixture of Hindi-Urdu and Bengali, ok if Hindustani is too much Hindi oriented then we can use Hinglish(simple Hindi+English) in Roman script.

So, the ultra Bengalis were hypocrites!

So, what makes you feel that history will not repeat itself?

Their children will go abroad and earn huge sums, while the others slog the skin off their bottom?

That is Kejriwal logic!
Commies were not ultra-Bengalis and there is not Ultra-Bengalism in WB.

As I said Commies did that in a state level plus their hidden agenda was to create vote bank. Not to change system. Over all if English medium education is to be banned that it should be done through out India, people's children will go to local language school and Babus children will go to International Christian Missionary school, no.:tsk: :tsk:

If Hindiwalas are coming to Calcutta and Siliguri and having Hindi boards, then why are you carping?

I thought you wanted the whole of India to chuck English out and have Hindoostani.

You want to eat your cake and have it too?

I kinow many Hindi speaking chaps, who speak, eat and live like Bengalis.

Dinesh Trivedi, Dalmia, Ahluwalia of the BJP and there are so many of them.

So, don't at one time be ultra nationalist and then switch to narrow regional chauvinism!
As I said if Central Government works are done in Hindustani, then no problem, if Hindiwalas in WB speak Hindi among themselves no problem, but at least they can try to speak Bengali here locally.

When they come and settle here it is expect that they should adopt Bengali language, similarly if a Bengali settles in UP, then it is expected him to adopt Hindi.

I say each state to their respective languages, Bengalis will settle in UP and then will cry for Bengali is not acceptable, because Bengalis are not local of UP, similarly UP walas come here and continue to speak Hindi, no.

For more simple- No multilanguageism in any state.

In all states only 2 language will prevail 1) Local language(in WB Bengali, in UP Hindi, no matter what is your back ground) 2) Hindustani.
@Pratap I said to use Roman script because I think then we can search on Internet on our language apart from English, Roman scripts are easy to type as per present key board configuration, you can Search Google-Germany- Google will come in German. Devnagri script is too hard to type on Computer.

p2prada

Good point!

The biggest success story in India for the English language comes from Bangalore.

Bangalore wouldn't be where it is today had it not been for the English language.

English as the first language, Hindi as the second and a third vernacular language is what I was taught in school. Depending on the medium, there are schools which teach Hindi as the first and English as the second, then there are some where vernacular is the first language and hindi is the second, while English is relegated to third.

So, you can put your kid in any one of these schools. Such schools are available in plenty in India.

My kid will be going to an English medium school with Mandarin as a second language and Hindi as third (if available, or Hindi as a second and Mandarin as third). Other vernacular languages, he can learn at home and through immersion in society.

You can bet my pride won't come in the way of his/her education.

Apart from basic communication, language, to me, is about interest or incentive. Learning English and Mandarin will give you the ability to communicate with roughly 1/3rd of the world population who speak it on a first language basis. The two languages are spoken by the two most important economies of our time. It should easily cover half the globe if you include second language and third language populations as well. So, it will eventually help you communicate with almost anybody in roughly 20 or 30 years. This takes care of basic communication.

As for interest, of course, if you are interested in learning a particular language, then you can choose any language you want to learn, whether it is a globally important language or not.

As for incentive, if I am working a job which pays me 20 or 30K a month and this guy shows up and says learn this language and I will pay you 1L a month for the same job (think German), hell I will take it up.

If it was humanly possible, I would suggest learning every language there is.

As for Indian languages, it would be great if Indian languages are officially romanized like it is the case for Japanese, Korean and Chinese languages.

Romanization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bengali alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Romanization of Malayalam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Devanagari transliteration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

National Library At Kolkata Romanization is the most frequently used transliteration method for some of our languages, especially Sanskrit.

p2prada

Once we are going through the baggage and body check in Hyderabad Airport and the CISF guy is speaking in Hindi stopped my father and spoke some thing.

My father did not know hindi and he said surprisingly "you don't know hindi??"

Then I came back and said to him in a rough tone "Is it compulsory to know hindi here??"

Then that guy calmed down himself and soon our baggage check and body check is over, later my father went to him and told that He is a Superintendent in Customs, showed his identity card, then that smiled and said "ok Sir".
There is a universal belief that city-based educated people would know some levels of Hindi, at least enough to understand simple instructions.

Waffen SS

@p2prada education through mother tongue novel idea. Yes for economic purpose it may be less active but it is scientific.

Language is spirit of a culture, and education through foreign language will perish that.

This is why Scottish, Irish and Wales language almost ceased to exist.

No country ever became great by neglecting their mother tongue and education through foreign language is sort neglect.

If Germans, French can become modern by studying their mother tongue then we Indians cant? Why we Indians have to depend on a foreign language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles