Why Indians are so much obsessed with English Language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
You are the representative of 5% people in India, went to Christian Missionary school, lived in big house, environment more Western than Indian. Feel pride in saying better English.
Ray uses words which do not exists at all such as bigotism. His feeling proud about English is simply nonsense.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
I agree with Ray that learning three languages Mother tongue,Hindi and English is the best way forward for India.That way we are preserving our heritage as well as keeping in tune with the modern world.

Last edited:

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
I agree with Ray that learning three languages Mother tongue,Hindi and English is the best way forward for India.That way we are preserving our heritage as well as keeping in tune with the modern world.
Three languages are bit hard to learn , do not you think so?

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Three languages are bit hard to learn , do not you think so?
Yup its difficult but once a person has learnt 3 languages he can boast about his lingual skills.There is currently no better solution to learning 3 languages.Its the only way forward for now.Plus most of the alphabets and other things in our mother language and Hindi are similar(I am talking of Bengali).

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I fail to understand as to what my career has to do with the debate that is going on.

I understand your frustration at my having brought to light that you are very superficial in information, but exceptionally deft at name dropping and adept to using anecdotal tid bits (unverifiable since they are your own observations) that you pass with pretentiousness to be facts, as in the case of all in Dubai speak Hindi and having spoken to some Arabs in Hindi.

You are not even aware as to why the British Officers of the Indian army learnt and spoke Hindustani /Urdu and yet you brazenly pass off Even the British Officers commanded their troops using Urdu / Hindustani... as a sine qua non to justify your current hobby horse pursuit! Do learn to get into details before you expose yourself! I could have explained to you, but it is high time you slogged for [your supper instead of expecting to be spoon-fed all the time.

Not that I am obliged to give any explanation about my career, but just to set the record straight, I will have you to know that, in my time, it was essential to know the Regimental Language. I hope that suffices to douse the fires of curiosity that inflames and consumes you about my career profile and activities!

No one dislikes Hindi. Your rabid fulminations seems to have put blinkers on your eyes and you seem to have 'buttoned up' like a tanker, and hence blind to comprehend what is being discussed.

I sure would be keen to know the legal sanctions of the Official Languages Act and delighted if you file a suit. I will have the last laugh I assure you. Again, you seem to be wet behind your ears in legal matters. Please be advised, that do not get too clever by half. Bluff and bluster does not in any way impress me.

Since you raise it that Hindi is the language of the people and not English, it again indicates how little you know of India and how rabid and visionless and ill educated you are beyond your favourite hobby horse!

Hindi is a language of some people and is the Official language. It, under no circumstances, is the language of the people. Desist from pandering falsehood as a campaign to spread disinformation.

English is the current international via media in many fields and knowing the same assists India in the progress of the country. I am interested in the growth and progress of the country and not having the country being bogged down over feigned nationalism that does no one any good.
Ah not even worth a penny !! I bet.....

Ray sir, we have gone Viral, I hope you understand that....

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
@Peter England...

You have strange ideas...

India main ek language sikhane (likhane aur padane) ki problem hai aur aap teen teen ki baat karate ho.....

You indian elites are horrible... Ok enjoy this:

Last edited by a moderator:

Waffen SS

Ray sir no where says learn 3 languages. His view is extremely complicated and contradictory, purpose of his posts are lost in unnecessary amount of exclamation marks. I would suggest you sir please read "Dainik Statesman" newspaper, and write their some articles in Bengali about his view.

No one denies that we need to learn 3 languages, but what should be education medium?

Ray says to send children to English medium completely, is it possible? I have given UNESCO reports, all though none to avail.

I am also from WB, to me a WB student should learn Bengali as medium of instruction, Hindi as a link language through out India(you can learn Hindi a lot from TV and Bollywood:) ) and English as a second language in school later bolstered by Spoken English course to communicate with world, so what is wrong in my view?

PS- I think main Indian languages should 2 script. If you type Bengali word মাছ on internet, you will have very few results, why? Because Bengali script is too hard to type, so when we write then if we use traditional Bengali alphabet and when typing on internet then Roman such as "Machh then we can have internet pages in our language too in lots of amount.

As I said I dont see any necessity to convert deep Computer language to Indian languages.

I hope managed to clear all's confusion.
@pmaitra, @Kunal Biswas, @tarunraju what are your opinions?

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
@Peter England...

India main ek language sikhane (likhane aur padane) ki problem hai aur aap teen teen ki baat karate ho.....

Please also link that song from " Shagird" ruk ja ai hawa featuring Saira Bano and Joy Mukherjee.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
@Peter England...

I do not know why you are so angry with me.Even in bengali medium schools students learn english and hindi.(atleast in WB) They do.I think 3rd language is taught for 4 years and English for a longer time.Its already been done by the government.So whats the problem.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
@Bhadra Btw nice song.I appreciate it but what is the purpose of this.Also for your information my title is not ENGLAND.I share my title/surname with one of the members of DFI.My title is MAITRA(I even share the first letter of the name p and my first name is not Peter.Its a bengali word for sign/symbol)

I was just suggesting that India should have 3 languages as it would give us benefits of being modern and at the same time remind us of our heritage.3 languages are indeed taught in ISC,CBSE and in WB boards(albeit WB boards teach 3 languages only in name)

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Peter</a> the Great or Horrible ( No offense meant)

Since your avatar is a Brahma rishi I have nothing to say : ...

you know what the rate of literacy (means those who can read and write ) in India ?

Literacy in India is key for socio-economic progress,[ Very important statement for those mad men in the forum who ask what is relations between education and economic progress]

and the Indian literacy rate grew to 74.04% (fudged government figure) in 2011 from 12% at the end of British rule in 1947.[ Kind courtesy neglect of local languages and stress on English education]

Although this was greater than six fold improvement, the level is well below the world average literacy rate of 84% and of all nations [that does not mean they know English or three languages], India currently has the largest illiterate population.[ Kind courtesy English elites that abound this forum like parrots who consider that education is only English]

Look at this :

That could also be education.

You you do like the above you may like this :

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
@Peter the Great

you know what the rate of literacy (means those who can read and write ) in India ?

Literacy in India is key for socio-economic progress,[ Very important statement for those mad men in the forum who ask what is relations between education and economic progress]

and the Indian literacy rate grew to 74.04% in 2011 from 12% at the end of British rule in 1947.[ Kind courtesy neglect of local languages and stress on English education]

Although this was a greater than six fold improvement, the level is well below the world average literacy rate of 84% and of all nations, India currently has the largest illiterate population.[ Kind courtesy English elites that abound this forum like parrots who consider that education is only English]

Look at this :

First off why did you call me Peter the Great.I am not that great Russian king incarnated :rofl:.I know that India has a low literacy rate but why are you telling me these?I have said nothing about GOI educating Indians .I just opined that if possible Indians should learn 3 languages.If a person does not want to learn 3 languages its okay .However I personally think(not imposing my views on you) he would have great difficulties pursuing higher studies.I can give a personal experience here .My mother grew up during the wretched Jyoti Basu era.Her knowledge in English is quite low.She tells me that due to this fact she could not go for higher studies and become a doctor.While the WBJEEs or other JEEs can be given either in Hindi or English.Most of the books that you require for studies are in English.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
You know guys what is the state of Hindi in India :

or even better :

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
@Bhadra Btw nice song.I appreciate it but what is the purpose of this.Also for your information my title is not ENGLAND.I share my title/surname with one of the members of DFI.My title is MAITRA(I even share the first letter of the name p and my first name is not Peter.Its a bengali word for sign/symbol)

I was just suggesting that India should have 3 languages as it would give us benefits of being modern and at the same time remind us of our heritage.3 languages are indeed taught in ISC,CBSE and in WB boards(albeit WB boards teach 3 languages only in name)
Is your name something like Prateek?

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Bhadra ji a nice explanation.

We must understand from our commonsense that you or me can travel in auto-rickshaw, and we can communicate with Bihari driver in Hindi, not in English.

That said before you think of world, think of yourself, if you cant communicate with your average countrymen in Indian language then how and what will you gain from communication with rest of world?

That language, which people can understand, at least can speak, that language should be national language. And Hindi fulfills both, and English none.
@kseeker, @happy, @Singh, @rock127, @LurkerBaba, @arnabmit

Express your thoughts too.
Hindi already been spread to most of the parts of India is the most apt to make a national language.PERIOD.

As a Indian it's simply pathetic when we see some people prefer "English" to be a medium between 2 Indians from different parts in India and specially the language of former "Colonials". Also it's pathetic when people think that learning Hindi would mean that their own local language would diminish since their confidence in their own language is of low level.

Britishers must be so happy to see how their crappy language has been a world language and how Indians don't value their own main language to be a national language and hell bent in saying that their local language should be the national language.

Every Indian SHOULD KNOW that India has about 300 languages and 2000 Dialects so it's the fault of Indians if they can't choose a language which has been popular in most parts of the India.Indians SHOULD come out of their "my local language is the best" mindset.

That is how my and your ancestors sang. talked and wrote before many foreigners made us slaves and imposed their lingua franca on my ancestors and me and you.. and you all worship English...

I will prefer Kannada to English...
You prefer Kannada to English when speaking with someone from Bihari/North East?

I will prefer Telegu or Bengali among non Hindi languages.
Even I prefer EVERYONE in India to learn my local language and make it a national language but I think Hindi SHOULD be the binding language.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Dono jahan teri mohabbat mein har ke
wo ja raha hai koi shab-e-gam guzar ke
viran hai maikada khum-o-sagar udas hai
tum kya gaye ke ruth gaye din bahar ke
ik fursat-e-gunah mili, wo bhi char din
dekhe hain hum ne hausale parvar-digar ke
duniya ne teri yaad se begana kar diya
tujh se bhi dil fareb hain gham rozagar ke
bhule se muskura to diye the wo aj 'faiz'
mat puch val-vale dil-e-na-kardakar ke

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
@rock127

Sir , being an ardent fan of PD Tandon, I favor Hindi myself, I only said that instead of English, I would like to learn Bengali or Telegu as second language .

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
Dono jahan teri mohabbat mein har ke
wo ja raha hai koi shab-e-gam guzar ke
viran hai maikada khum-o-sagar udas hai
tum kya gaye ke ruth gaye din bahar ke
ik fursat-e-gunah mili, wo bhi char din
dekhe hain hum ne hausale parvar-digar ke
duniya ne teri yaad se begana kar diya
tujh se bhi dil fareb hain gham rozagar ke
bhule se muskura to diye the wo aj 'faiz'
mat puch val-vale dil-e-na-kardakar ke
Jogi re Hum to lut gaye tere pyar me jaane tujhko khabar kab hogi

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Thanks.

@rock127

Sir , being an ardent fan of PD Tandon, I favor Hindi myself, I only said that instead of English, I would like to learn Bengali or Telegu as second language .
Even I try to speak a bit of Bengali and Tamil when I speak with my Bengali/Tamil friends.If I go to their states ever then I would try to speak more of their local languages.They try to learn a bit of my local language since they already know Hindi.

What we need is a level of respect for each others language and make a consensus if there is a question on national language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles