Why Indian are obsessed with Elephant?

kickok1975

Elephant, the animal deeply embedded into Indian culture

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I am so obsessed about Elephants that i have 72 Elephants in my own private zoo! All of us Indians are obsessed about elephants aren't we!! :D

Tomcat

elephents are symbols of power and prestieg among indians especially among the Landed aristocrats espcially in the south
i hope to onw a tusker later in life.

neo29

Lord Ganesh whom the hindu's consider an important figure among Gods has a head of an elephant. Hence the respect to elephants. But obsessed is a wrong word.

nimo_cn

Country flag
A more accurate way to say it should be Indians are fond of elephants.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Elephants are herbivorous ,so humans need not fear them .They were used as war elephants ie as cavalry in ancient and medieval times

Then they were also used for transport because a large part of the India was dense forests and full of tigers and leopards .Elephants could easily go through forested areas without any worry and fear

Today elephants are adopted by temples and are used for taking out procession , after being decorated ,on festival days

Amongst the 5 main Hindu GODS there is an elephant headed god ,Lord Ganesh

So yes Hindus love elephants . Even today in Indian cities some elephants can be seen and people feed them with bananas and sugarcane

Children and adults including Foreigners love elephant rides

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
It's one of our symbol animals. Back in the days in Kerala the more elephants you owned, the more respect you have..

Symbol of power..

In Kerala elephants were a big deal.. You see festivals with them in central stage.

Keralites take loving elephants to another level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iamanidiot

I have never seen a dragon being pissed off,but I have certainly seen a tusker getting of his rocker when he is off his rocker my best suggestion is to go to an higher elevation.The damn animals have fucking tempers and there are incidents of them killing their own mahouts if they are pissed off.The joke is they regret the killing and go into a depression for a lot of days.They are extremely intelligent creatures with an insanely good memory

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
I have never seen a dragon being pissed off,but I have certainly seen a tusker getting of his rocker when he is off his rocker my best suggestion is to go to an higher elevation.The damn animals have fucking tempers and there are incidents of them killing their own mahouts if they are pissed off.The joke is they regret the killing and go into a depression for a lot of days.They are extremely intelligent creatures with an insanely good memory
Ya, my father's friend was a mahout. His elephant killed him. Crazy thing is I rode on top of that elephant when I was a toddler.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I think the elephant should be India's national animal, not the tiger.

It represents India a lot better.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Tiger was chosen because the Indian subcontinent has its native species of tiger that's not found in any other region (whereas India's elephants are generic Asiatic elephants also found in south-east Asia).

Besides, it used to be a royal/high-class thing to own tigers, whereas elephants were considered more as cattle, because of the kind of heavy-duty jobs they were mostly used in.

kickok1975

Tiger was chosen because the Indian subcontinent has its native species of tiger that's not found in any other region (whereas India's elephants are generic Asiatic elephants also found in south-east Asia).

Besides, it used to be a royal/high-class thing to own tigers, whereas elephants were considered more as cattle, because of the kind of heavy-duty jobs they were mostly used in.
Elephant represent India better: Slow, humble, peaceful but strong and family oriented

Global Defence

New threads

Articles