Why Indian aircrafts have Italian flag painted on their tails ?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I heard otherwise ! they are considered Most racist people in the world.
No. The irish are more conservative in the region they live in but you have to look at there history to understand them. Soliditory between Indian nationalists and irish nationalists existed during the british period. when bhagat singh was in jail he quoted Terence MacSwiney and told him "I am confident that my death will do more to smash the British Empire than my release"

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
shameful and pitiful

no one is making any corrections .- for years

just like the indigenous americans who are actually of mongolian origin
being called indians for centuries

are we just like them ?

i hope NAMO will make the changes

cant depend on kangaress and their funny Hindi accents to do so

they dont even know what is originally indian - in fact are they ?

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
The irish are good people.
yes they are ....so we now go beggaring on them ?

let us stay absolutely clear of any confusion with anyone else.... nice guy or not

forget the tricolor winch might be confused as irish or whatever

i think we should have to use only CHAKRA of our flag , which is unique as well as signifies us......
let's go for the chakra symbol as EXPERT originally suggested
as indeed it is uniquely ours

and no one need be offended about that !!

Last edited:

kseeker

Retired
Correct me if I am wrong, I am not sure if the DFI forum discussions will have any kind of impact on the govt or even on armed forces of India.

Is there an official channel wherein one can file and sign on petition for a change with AIF in regards to this ?

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Ok, I asked this question in this thread however, that particular thread has it's own specific topic and I wouldn't want to derail that thread; hence, creating a new one !

Why Indian aircrafts have Italian flag painted on their tails ?

Italian flag

Flag painted on Tejas

Moreover, Italian flag on our ACs are bothering me :hair: :hair: :hair:

I understand that, it's IAF std scheme ! However, what's the rationale behind those (flag/emblem) colours ? Any thoughts ?

@Ray, @Decklander, @p2prada, @pkroyal, @pmaitra, @W.G.Ewald, @Kunal Biswas
belatedly, but better late than never,
i would like to
thank you for this good observation

indeed i had observed the same strange symbol that you have now pin-pointed,
a few months ago when i participated in an LCA thread on this
very same forum,

but you actually TOOK ACTION
and that makes all the difference !!!

there are a number of other strange phenomenon
regarding our nation ( hint hint )

and with people like yourself around,
we will identify these anomalies

and CORRECT THEM !!!!
now that would deserve a "jai hind"

Last edited by a moderator:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
So the answer to @kseekers question is: it's a fin flash, not a flag.
not to mention the "bulls eye" also on our IAF planes

they also are painted with non-indian , maybe italian or ( god forbid ) irish (?) mexican (?) looking colours ??
( tortilla air force ? heheheheheh ........ indeed WTH is going on ?)

next problem is does IAF sound lke italan air force , or irish or Israeli air force ??

so we should call it preferably by the sanskrit name from now on aryavarta vayu shakti ?
is that correct ? ...with initials AVS ....no longer IAF

kseeker

Retired
they also are painted with non-indian , maybe italian or ( god forbid ) irish (?) mexican (?) looking colours ??
( tortilla air force ? heheheheheh ........ )
:pound: :pound: :pound: that's awesome !

indeed WTH is going on ?
IAF has become a fan of western culture when it comes to defining the standards. They think that, whatever firangis propose is " Brahma Vakya " :tsk:

next problem is does IAF sound lke italan air force , or irish or Israeli air force ??
Israeli Air Force just sounds like Indian Air force (IAF; Hebrew: זרוע האוויר והחלל, Zroa HaAvir VeHahalal, "Air and Space Arm", commonly known as חיל האוויר, Kheil HaAvir, "Air Corps")

Italian air force is called as Aeronautica Militare; AM

Irish air force is referred as Air Corps (Irish: an tAerchór)

so we should call it preferably by the sanskrit name from now on aryavarta vayu shakti ?
is that correct ? ...with initials AVS ....no longer IAF
How about Bharatiya Vayu Sena (BVS) as referred in hindi ? I like the idea of sanskrit name as well :)

ninja85

guess they run out of orange colour or may be some "madam's" new idea.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
...and Chakra as well as it used to be earlier,

Evolution of the IAF Roundel over the years:
1)1933–1942
2)1942–1945
3)1947–1950
4)1950 – present

==================================================

In the wake of Independence, the RIAF aircraft still sported the British RAF markings - consisting of different variants of the Red-White-Blue Roundels and Fin Flashes. To differentiate themselves from the RAF markings, the first new national markings for the aircraft of the Royal Indian Air Force were approved by the Government of India in June 1948. The notification at that time stated:

These national markings are to be shown in roundels, consisting of Ashoka Chakra (wheel) on the wings and fuselage and a vertical tricolour flash on the fin.

The Chakra (wheel) which is to be of specified dimensions, will be in navy blue and will be painted on the upper and lower sides of the wings in the case of a monoplane aircraft and the upper side of the upper wing and lower side of the lower wing in the case of a biplane aircraft The chakras are also to be painted on both sides' of the fuselage, just behind the trailing edge of the wings

The tricolour flash which is to be shown on the fin will be so painted that the saffron colour is towards the leading edge and the green on the trailing edge of the aircraft.

Several aircraft were thereafter painted in these markings - Spitfires, Tempests, Dakotas, Tigermoths, Prentices, Oxfords. Several saw service in the Jammu and Kashmir Operations sporting these new markings.

A Mk XVIII of the AFS (India) Ambala in the post 'chakra' markings hastily applied over the earlier type 'C' roundel. Most Spitfires in the training role carried a double digit ID numeral under the cockpit. This aircraft is HS636 and is the first Spitfire in IAF service to carry a HS serial

However the markings were shortlived. No doubt the Ashoka Chakra markings were notoriously difficult to paint in the correct dimensions and getting them right must have been quite a task. After just about an year and half, the Chakra markings were replaced by the Saffron White Green Roundels that are still in use today. There was no change in fin-flash design or colours.

Indian Air Force :: Roundels (Independence and Chakra)

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
:pound: :pound: :pound: that's awesome ! IAF has become a fan of western culture when it comes to defining the standards. They think that, whatever firangis propose is " Brahma Vakya " :tsk:
Israeli Air Force just sounds like Indian Air force (IAF; Hebrew: זרוע האוויר והחלל, Zroa HaAvir VeHahalal, "Air and Space Arm", commonly known as חיל האוויר, Kheil HaAvir, "Air Corps") Italian air force is called as Aeronautica Militare; AM
Irish air force is referred as Air Corps (Irish: an tAerchór)
How about Bharatiya Vayu Sena (BVS) as referred in hindi ? I like the idea of sanskrit name as well :)
whooaaa ! a gentleman with knowledge of Hebrew ??
tell us more about yourself, in teh chat thread , if you can , if it's not state secret
meanwhile loads of respect from
(what i hope is a reasonable good-looking ) woman ! :romantic:
( hmmm - how old are you ? :namaste: )

Last edited:

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
@kseeker I have one solution. Why not file an RTI application regarding this to the Indian Air Force? Or you can ask your local MP to take this issue in the Parliament. I think all these questions will be answered in no time.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
@kseeker I have one solution. Why not file an RTI application regarding this to the Indian Air Force? Or you can ask your local MP to take this issue in the Parliament. I think all these questions will be answered in no time.
RTI is not applicable to security and Defence matters.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
RTI is not applicable to security and Defence matters.
Army won't answer online RTI queries
Arunav Sinha, Times of India Oct 25, 2013, 04.24AM IST

LUCKNOW: Fearful of threats to security, the Indian Army will no longer provide answers to RTI applications received online. The Indian Air Force (IAF) and the Indian Navy, however, maintain they have no problem in providing information sought by citizens in such a manner.

According to army officials, the issue of answering RTI queries filed online came under the scanner recently when a person sought details regarding the army's technical services division through the recently floated website rtionline.gov.in. The applicant had sought information from the Union defence ministry, which transferred the query to the army.

"We'll provide information on an RTI application only after receiving a signed copy of the application," said the army's central public information officer.

But the IAF and the navy do not see any threat from online RTI queries.

"As of now, the bulk of RTI queries we receive is either through the Prime Minister's Office or the ministry of defence," said Wing Commander S V R Moorthy, central public information officer, IAF. "Only a minuscule [number] of the RTI applications comes to us online and we've no problem continuing to receive them."

A public information officer of the navy, who refused to be identified, said: "After the introduction of the online system of filing RTI queries, we've witnessed a surge of 300%-400% in the number of applications received. Most of the queries come to us through the defence ministry and only a few applicants reach us online, and we've no problem with it."

While home ministry officials were non-committal when asked whether the online RTI mode will do them more harm than good, external affairs ministry officials said they had no problem. "As far as the online mode of seeking information under the RTI Act is concerned, we've no problem and will continue to provide information in the existing manner to those seeking it, until a new system is put in place," said an official dealing with RTIs in external affairs ministry.

According to RTI experts, the government website rtionline.gov.in allows citizens to file RTI applications online. A database of the people making requests is accessible, since payments are made through internet banking (by credit or debit card). This also helps in checking the genuineness of the applicants and in avoiding impersonation.

The website allows applicants to have a password-secured account, where they can see replies and also get them on their email accounts, so no third person receives the information.

kseeker

Retired
Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles