Why I am not leaving Pakistan

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Why I am not leaving Pakistan

The writer is an Australian national married to a Pakistani and teaches in a school

I remember watching "George ka Pakistan" and enjoying it. Obviously, as a foreigner residing in Pakistan, I could empathise with much of his experience and I liked the fact that his Urdu (at that stage) was worse than mine.

So it was with some sadness and, to be honest, a little anger, that I read George's farewell to a country that had granted him citizenship for no other reason than that he came across as a decent guy (I believe he probably is). Deluded Pakistan might be, but I think George's delusions are a bigger factor here. Or maybe mine are.

I must be the only person in this country who doesn't believe Pakistan is on the brink of collapse; civil war; destruction; uncivil war; or total annihilation (pick your preferred noun). I don't have the requisite ethos to expect people to believe me. I am neither a journalist nor a professional analyst; neither an Ivy League nor an Oxbridge graduate.

However, I have been following international news for a while now and I continue to find it both concerning and reassuring that the news has not changed much in that time. Gradual movements have occurred but the drama and upheaval predicted by headlines each day rarely has.

Take five minutes to go to Google archives, select any year from 1960–2011, and search Pakistan. The pages start looking like carbon copies of each other. "Oh my, Pakistan and India are threatening war again." "Did you know that women in Pakistan are dreadfully treated — says here, this woman was buried alive."

I am not intending to undermine the seriousness of Pakistan's problems. Many suffer unnecessarily; corruption is rife and many of the movers and shakers of the place seem childishly selfish and short-sighted. Welcome to development in the 21st century — it's a bummer.

However, the overall history of Pakistan suggests an ability to survive the difficulties of nation building and a slow and steady improvement of these problems. Furthermore, this country has 180 million people, most of whom are completely occupied with ensuring they earn enough income to cover their monthly expenses. These people get up every morning and go into fields, factories, houses, offices, hospitals and schools because it is the most certain option they have of getting that income. Each year, a greater percentage of people manage on that income, justifying that loyalty. Is it perfect? — hell no. Is it better than anarchy? — hell yes!

As regards the state of the state and civil institutions, I can understand the dismay and concern. There appear to be few politicians and political parties that do not swing for immediate gain, and ethics seem to exist only as a word. But creating functioning and independent civil institutions, and a populace that knows how to use them, is the longest and hardest part of creating a nation.

I live as part of Pakistan's least vulnerable social class and am untouched by a majority of Pakistan's fundamental problems. However, if I listen to my neighbour and read English papers, I am at a high risk of being taken out by a terrorist and/or political violence. (Statistically, and from personal experience, I am far more likely to be taken out by a Pakistani driver.) Without too much discipline required on my behalf, I stay away from military/police institutions and structures; I don't participate in religious processions; and, aside from the tourist trail, I don't visit mosques. Maybe I could write the US government a survivor's guide for Pakistan.

Some days I hate this country. I mutter prejudicial comments and decide that the problems of Pakistan can be summed up in the stupidity of its drivers; I glare at shop assistants and make sarcastic comments I know they can't understand. Some days I'm not a good person. But I never go so far as to claim I want to leave.

While I realise my situation differs dramatically from most Pakistanis, it does not, so much, from George's. Even after reading his farewell, parts 1 and 2, I couldn't understand what it was George expected from a nation — any nation. Complete security? Zero poverty? Political maturity? Constant affirmation of personal importance? Change countries if you need to, I used to regularly, but realise you do it for personal reasons and not because the country has failed you.

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
It must suck to live in Pakistan. I have no idea why anyone would want to stay there, especially foreigners.

prahladh

Respected Member
However, the overall history of Pakistan suggests an ability to survive the difficulties of nation building and a slow and steady improvement of these problems
lol. I see only improvement in screwing us from the back and letting off without any punishment.

Roby

She is married to a Pakistani - Hence she is a Pakistani citizen.
She should stay in Pakistan, there is no other options.

Blackwater

She is married to a Pakistani - Hence she is a Pakistani citizen.
She should stay in Pakistan, there is no other options.
I don't think so she will surrender her Ausi citizenship, though she can keep both nationality. It's allowed in pak

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I concur with Caitlin Malik and given the situation if i would've find myself in same circumstances as she is in, i would not 've moved out of pakistan and definitely not to to india.
Good! we dont need your kind over here. and by kind i dont mean muslim before you start ranting.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
It must suck to live in Pakistan. I have no idea why anyone would want to stay there, especially foreigners.
Some Australians have a thing for living in "the outbacks", where they like a slow, sedate life will very little resources, high manual labour, and mingling with the aboriginal locals. Perhaps it's the same thing that's keeping her from leaving Pakistan.

A smart thing to do would be to go back to Australia along with her husband...unless of course if that would mean taking his entire extended family of dozens of people along.

Oracle

Why am I not moving into Pakistan? Simple, because I know I won't get killed, can work, enjoy my freedom here and then abuse it too!:)
Who forced Mrs. Malik in writing such an article? Oh! I forgot the freedom women enjoy in Pakistan, my bad!

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Enough of the messenger-bashing and bickering. Either this thread proceeds on topic, or it's getting closed.

venkat

what DFI has got to do with this thread? why should i bother whether she stays or leaves TSP?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I presume the situation is worse in Australia, what with the floods and things like that.

Wise woman.

debasree

Country flag
What is the reason to post such a matter in dfi,we should discuss serious issues regarding defence of our country.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
what DFI has got to do with this thread? why should i bother whether she stays or leaves TSP?
Well, it does matter in a way - every incident of a faarin gora leaving TSP shows up the situation in TSP.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
We should rename the thread as housekeeping!! Needless to say, I don't expect Tarun to be kind the next time someone flames.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
In Pakistan they are furious over the release of Davis through the Sharia via the blood money clause and the fact that the victims family has taken the offer to be US citizens.

This is from a Pakistani source:

One can well imagine their anguish and anger that the US turned the tables on Pakistan through the ingenuous manner of using the blood money clause of the Sharia!!

Oracle

It's a victory for all - ISI, PA, Civilian Government. And a matter of honor for the US of A.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
lmao in one of the deleted posts here deluded ajtr was claiming that davis would be tried and sentenced to jail for his crimes because pakistan is strong country with high morals whereas Indians are docile and release all foreign people in fear. In response i said davis would be freed...its only a matter of time.

once again truth prevails over lies.

ganesh177

Country flag
.............................edit.........................

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles