Why Engineering is the Best Career Option?

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Welcome to DFI, @Sridevi.

That is the name of one of the most beautiful actresses of India.

Engineering? Well, any career is good as long as the skills have demand. Getting a degree in social studies will not get you anywhere, and if you are lucky, you can be a cookie distributor.
Social studies can get you a good job in JNU as a Commi/Marxist Terrorist without a gun. :lol:

These guys are in demand these days.

PS: On a serious note the demand today has evolved over the traditional Science/Engineer streams.

Science/Engineer is STILL a good choice.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Unfortunately Indian education system suppress creativity. You are left with second rate engineers.
You are a proven IDIOT and bring shame to a flag you are using.You are not a native Finn as we know but a Muslim immigrant living like a parasite on other country.

Microsoft and many other top notch companies hire engineers from India and literally today the world runs through the hands of Indian engineers since almost 97% of the world computers runs on Microsoft OS.US knows and that's why hires so much of Indians(in US and India) and the reason Indians are the richest ethnic group in US.Now top companies are headed by Indians including Microsoft.

Seems like you are STILL in shock that NOKIA is sold out to Microsoft and many of your 500 High IQ engineers lost their jobs.

Yun Ming

Microsoft and many other top notch companies hire engineers from India and literally today the world runs through the hands of Indian engineers since almost 97% of the world computers runs on Microsoft OS.US knows and that's why hires so much of Indians(in US and India) and the reason Indians are the richest ethnic group in US.Now top companies are headed by Indians including Microsoft.

Seems like you are STILL in shock that NOKIA is sold out to Microsoft and many of your 500 High IQ engineers lost their jobs.
Am I the only one troubled by the fact that a lot of asian ethnicities are unbileivably financially successful in the US/West?
At first glance it seems like we should be proud but on closer look it's proof of a major Brain Drain in Asia. The reason we do so well in foreign countries is because our people are filtered out. Only the smartest, most skilled people are granted residency in this countries making us look really good on statistics.

I am disheartened by this.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Am I the only one troubled by the fact that a lot of asian ethnicities are unbileivably financially successful in the US/West?
At first glance it seems like we should be proud but on closer look it's proof of a major Brain Drain in Asia. The reason we do so well in foreign countries is because our people are filtered out. Only the smartest, most skilled people are granted residency in this countries making us look really good on statistics.

If they had stayed back in Asia they would have competed for the scarce jobs in these countries two decades ago. This would have made sure that they were of no use anywhere.

Thankfully they migrated earlier and sent remittances and are now trained enough to go back and do something in their countries. I have read a lot of Chinese are already going back. Same is true for Indians.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned

That's true. People will go where they can have a better life. That should be disheartening for India.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Using this opportunity, I have few questions to ask.

Can NRI's get admission in Indian IITs ? If not Indian institutes, which are best Engineering schools with world wide acceptance ?

Which Engineering field is better as far as earning money and remaining more relevant in long term is concerned? Software Engineering ?

Thanks in Advance.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned

Can NRI's get admission in Indian IITs ? If not Indian institutes, which are best Engineering schools with world wide acceptance ?

Which Engineering field is better as far as earning money and remaining more relevant in long term is concerned? Software Engineering ?

Thanks in Advance.
Why would NRIs go to IIT when they can go to MIT? Lol.

pmaitra

Thanks in Advance.
IMHO, it is Computer Science and/or Information Technology, with the caveat that you have to have skills in specialized tools. Simply knowing Java and Oracle doesn't cut it anymore. Basically, you want to have skills that are in high demand and are not easily available in the labour market.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
You are a proven IDIOT and bring shame to a flag you are using.You are not a native Finn as we know but a Muslim immigrant living like a parasite on other country.

Haha, I take it you are not too familiar with the Indian IT scene and the outsourcing industry.

hit&run

Mod
Why would NRIs go to IIT when they can go to MIT? Lol.
I would have appreciated your suggestion without the 'lol'. :)

Nevertheless, thanks for your shout, I am now searching for MIT. BTW I was asking this for my son who will be now in class 8th this January.

hit&run

Mod
IMHO, it is Computer Science and/or Information Technology, with the caveat that you have to have skills in specialized tools. Simply knowing Java and Oracle doesn't cut it anymore. Basically, you want to have skills that are in high demand and are not easily available in the labour market.

Re: Specialization

In NZ people with average/below scores opt for apprenticeships in different specializations. Like Valve Engineering etc. They start soon after school, joining distant learning may be with few day at campus, with most of the part working for a firm and are paid for it.

It is quite popular this way and after 4-5 years, clearing online assignments and subjective paper they become engineers. It confused me a lot when I heard of it for the first time. Also I came to know the syllabubs is quite dumb down as compare to what bonafied students struggle with full time Engineering studies.

Further investigating I got different opinions that apprenticeships are good for larger interest for the country as it helps workforce objectives/skill shortage of governments and also the low middle income families but preferably/ideally people like to see their kids to study full time Engineering.

After reading your suggestion I think the ideal path should be full time Engineering Studies followed by Specialization ??

pmaitra

Re: Specialization

In NZ people with average/below scores opt for apprenticeships in different specializations. Like Valve Engineering etc. They start soon after school, joining distant learning may be with few day at campus, with most of the part working for a firm and are paid for it.

It is quite popular this way and after 4-5 years, clearing online assignments and subjective paper they become engineers. It confused me a lot when I heard of it for the first time. Also I came to know the syllabubs is quite dumb down as compare to what bonafied students struggle with full time Engineering studies.

Further investigating I got different opinions that apprenticeships are good for larger interest for the country as it helps workforce objectives/skill shortage of governments and also the low middle income families but preferably/ideally people like to see their kids to study full time Engineering.

After reading your suggestion I think the ideal path should be full time Engineering Studies followed by Specialization ??
Regarding your last sentence, which is a question, I can tell you that a majority of specialized tools are not offered as a specialization in colleges offering Bachelor's and Master's degrees. You have to specialize, but for that you have to do certification, on top of whatever degree you have earned.

The way I look at a Bachelor's or Master's degree is, it is important whatever you learn, but it is more important that you learn to learn something new. So, say you learnt Java. It is good that you learnt Java, but it is very good that you were able to learn something new, i.e., something you had not known earlier. I hope you are getting me.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Regarding your last sentence, which is a question, I can tell you that a majority of specialized tools are not offered as a specialization in colleges offering Bachelor's and Master's degrees. You have to specialize, but for that you have to do certification, on top of whatever degree you have earned.

The way I look at a Bachelor's or Master's degree is, it is important whatever you learn, but it is more important that you learn to learn something new. So, say you learnt Java. It is good that you learnt Java, but it is very good that you were able to learn something new, i.e., something you had not known earlier. I hope you are getting me.
You can be an engineer of the Atomic, though you can be an engineer who designs and maintains the sewer system. For me, the prestige to be a historian than a second.

pmaitra

You can be an engineer of the Atomic, though you can be an engineer who designs and maintains the sewer system. For me, the prestige to be a historian than a second.
This is more about what profession is most likely to get you a job. It is not about prestige. I can be a very good historian, but I need to put food in my stomach.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
This is more about what profession is most likely to get you a job. It is not about prestige. I can be a very good historian, but I need to put food in my stomach.
Then it all depends on the host country.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag

Thanks in Advance.
If your son has not relinquished his Indian citizanship, he is eligible for sitting in JEE-IIT.
http://m.timesofindia.com/home/educ...students-born-abroad/articleshow/45508987.cms

Otherwise, he has to compete for the quota reserved for foreign students and PIOs.

https://www.iitm.ac.in/content/foreign-national-admission-procedure

About the above TOI article crying because the Indians born abroad is not eligible for admission in IITs because they hold foreign citizenship. Is not it funny that those people or their parents did not bother to apply for Indian citizanship which would have been automatically granted, because they wanted to benefit in later days for ease of going abroad, is crying now because they cannot study in seats reserved for Indians only?

DingDong

Country flag

Thanks in Advance.
My guess is that you are seeking information about B.Tech/M.Tech (integrated)/Msc (integrated) programs. Your ward will have to crack the JEE like the rest of the IITians do.

There was another channel available until 2002 (the year when I got into IIT) called DASA but as per my knowledge IITs no longer admit foreign students in undergraduate courses because of several issues (unsatisfactory student performance, suicides).

All disciplines in IITs are equally good, allow your ward to select the subject of his/her interest.

In my view the undergraduate courses offered by IITs are one of the best. IITs not only teach subjects, here students are trained to become future leaders. They are trained to work under severe stress.

hit&run

Mod
I really owe it to both of you Gents and other members. Thanks a lot. I will further take these leads and do more research. I hope you guys be able to help me in future too. If you guys permit I may ask you guys more via PMs in future.

@Mods, I think I am sticking to topic in hand.

Regards.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
I really owe it to both of you Gents and other members. Thanks a lot. I will further take these leads and do more research. I hope you guys be able to help me in future too. If you guys permit I may ask you guys more via PMs in future.

@Mods, I think I am sticking to topic in hand.

Regards.
US universities are expensive, but easier to get into than IITs. Also, given they are better quality, it is not a bad option as it pays off in the long run. On the other hand, he can also go to mainland European Universities. France and Germany are much less expensive and can give more bang for the buck but he will need to learn the local language.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles