Why does not the Indian Army use the AK 74

sydsnyper

Country flag
Hi Friends,

I am a new member and an avid reader of this form for some time now.

I have wondered as to why we never used the AK-74. After all it was the soviet counterpart of the lighter Nato 5.56 and some say it has better tumbling effect on targets than the 5.56.

The Last Stand

Country flag
@sydsnyper

It is the choice of IA to go for 5.56.

AK-74 is a weapon, not a caliber as you seem to misunderstand. The caliber that the AK-74 is chambered to fire is 5.45x39.

I believe the reason to go for 5.56 rather than 5.45 is that we bought M-4 variants a long time back and we already have lots of ammunition types and factories set up. The logistics train is already complicated, so they must have decided that 5.56 will do the job - there would be no sense in suddenly switching to a 5.45 mm weapon.

And IA has a heavier 5.56 round than other countries, tumbling and effect on target are more.

@Kunal Biswas can help you out with OFB rounds, and explain this.

Last edited by a moderator:

sydsnyper

Country flag
Do we know if we have any samples of the AK-74 in the services. I think I saw a photo of a jawan/para carrying one facing away on some thread in this forum. I could recognize the distinctive muzzle brake.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Marcos ( Navy SF ) use AK-103 in 7.62x39mm..

Do we know if we have any samples of the AK-74 in the services. I think I saw a photo of a jawan/para carrying one facing away on some thread in this forum. I could recognize the distinctive muzzle brake.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
The Ak-74 is not operational service with the Armed services. However a certain number of these rifles are captured from slain militants, from J&K in the North to the NSCN in the North East. They lie in peace, though the captured Ak-47s and AK-56s will usually be used by the Army in CI ops.

mikhail

Country flag
Do we need new threads for Newbie questions?
nothing is wrong about this question mate and personally i think this is a extremely valid one!i myself was going to ask the same question to Kunal sir a few days ago but chose not as i did a little research myself and found out something like what Kunal sir told us here in the net.but i do agree that we don't need an entire thread on this as it can be asked in the chit chat thread itself.

mikhail

Country flag
@DivineHeretic, do militants use AK-74? As far as I know, they use the Type 56.
mate afaik,the jehadi tangos don't have access to the AK-74 variants as they are significantly more expensive than the dirt cheap Type-56 which they use.but some of them are also equpped with PKM machine guns.
same goes with the north eastern militant group but they do have access to the Norinco made M-16 clone variants which they use in good nos. but still Type-56 remains their weapon of choice.i hope i have satisfied your query somewhat.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
7.62x39mm are more available in the region than 5.45x39mm..

So the choice is simple for tangos..

mahesh

Country flag
is it mandatory that a class of soldiers should equip with only a particular type of guns in a given group ?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
The Ak-74 is not operational service with the Armed services. However a certain number of these rifles are captured from slain militants, from J&K in the North to the NSCN in the North East. They lie in peace, though the captured Ak-47s and AK-56s will usually be used by the Army in CI ops.
47s and 56s are also used by JK Police. Many captured.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
@DivineHeretic, do militants use AK-74? As far as I know, they use the Type 56.
Sorry for the very late reply, but yes, militants do use Ak-74 rifles. Maybe not so in the North (I couldn't find a source to back up my claims about J&K) but most definitely in the North East.

@mikhail

The following are excerpts from SATP.

June 3: State Police will seek custody of the six persons including four GNLA militants, who were arrested by the Assam Police along with a huge consignment of arms and ammunition from Gorchuk area of Guwahati on June 2, DGP N Ramachandran said . Four GNLA militants include one Pintu Marak, who is the brother-in-law of GNLA Commander-in-Chief, Sohan D Shira .The consignment of arms and ammunition included one AK 74 assault rifle, one Berretta .32 pistol, 25 shells, 400 rounds of AK 74 ammunition, 500 rounds of 9 mm pistol ammunition, 20 rounds of ammunition of .32 Berretta pistol.

June 2: SFs arrested four GNLA militants including Pintu Marak, brother-in-law of GNLA 'commander-in-chief' Sohan D Shira, and two Nagaland-based arms smugglers from the Guwahati city's Tetelia area. SFs recovered one AK-74 (grenade launcher) rifle, 25 grenades, one Barrette pistol and more than 900 live ammunition from their possession."The militants confessed that the consignment was procured from Myanmar and was being taken to Garo Hills through Nagaland and Assam. The weapons were concealed in secret chambers built inside the vehicle," Guwahati SSP Apurba Jibon Barua informed the media.

The ASEAN smuggling route makes it possible for the millitants to have access to quite a vast spread of weapons. It is quite common to find the American M-4s, Uzi and even the M-21/24 sniper rifles. In some cases, these rifles are found to be imported directly from the US.

If you want I can provide further links. But I trust it should be easy to make a google search.

Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA)

mikhail

Country flag
Sorry for the very late reply, but yes, militants do use Ak-74 rifles. Maybe not so in the North (I couldn't find a source to back up my claims about J&K) but most definitely in the North East.

@mikhail

The following are excerpts from SATP.

June 3: State Police will seek custody of the six persons including four GNLA militants, who were arrested by the Assam Police along with a huge consignment of arms and ammunition from Gorchuk area of Guwahati on June 2, DGP N Ramachandran said . Four GNLA militants include one Pintu Marak, who is the brother-in-law of GNLA Commander-in-Chief, Sohan D Shira .The consignment of arms and ammunition included one AK 74 assault rifle, one Berretta .32 pistol, 25 shells, 400 rounds of AK 74 ammunition, 500 rounds of 9 mm pistol ammunition, 20 rounds of ammunition of .32 Berretta pistol.

June 2: SFs arrested four GNLA militants including Pintu Marak, brother-in-law of GNLA 'commander-in-chief' Sohan D Shira, and two Nagaland-based arms smugglers from the Guwahati city's Tetelia area. SFs recovered one AK-74 (grenade launcher) rifle, 25 grenades, one Barrette pistol and more than 900 live ammunition from their possession."The militants confessed that the consignment was procured from Myanmar and was being taken to Garo Hills through Nagaland and Assam. The weapons were concealed in secret chambers built inside the vehicle," Guwahati SSP Apurba Jibon Barua informed the media.

The ASEAN smuggling route makes it possible for the millitants to have access to quite a vast spread of weapons. It is quite common to find the American M-4s, Uzi and even the M-21/24 sniper rifles. In some cases, these rifles are found to be imported directly from the US.

If you want I can provide further links. But I trust it should be easy to make a google search.

Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA)
okay buddy i admit that i was wrong when i mentioned that the N.E. militants don't use AK-74 rifles.anyways it seems that these tangos are armed with sophisticated weapons.i wonder how our security forces manage to fight these tangos without even a proper level-III BPJ in North East but we have to admit that inspite of all the odds against them they have done an incredible job in checking these tangos till date!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
@sydsnyper

It is the choice of IA to go for 5.56.

AK-74 is a weapon, not a caliber as you seem to misunderstand. The caliber that the AK-74 is chambered to fire is 5.45x39.

I believe the reason to go for 5.56 rather than 5.45 is that we bought M-4 variants a long time back and we already have lots of ammunition types and factories set up. The logistics train is already complicated, so they must have decided that 5.56 will do the job - there would be no sense in suddenly switching to a 5.45 mm weapon.

And IA has a heavier 5.56 round than other countries, tumbling and effect on target are more.
Good answer, go SSJ3

sydsnyper

Country flag
New Italian round...

15 « December « 2011 « Daily Bulletin

with bores and a hollow core, these rounds are supposed to be more accurate and greatly reduces muzzle flash......

Question is - Is this really such a unique discovery and even if it is, what is stopping anyone else copying it....

Global Defence

New threads

Articles