Why Do Tibetans Self-immolate?

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Buddhist temples mostly. But you can probably find veg food in other temples as well. Agree the veg options in China is quite restricted if you are used to indian veg food. I don think there are many hindu temples in China.

Yah, I watch the Andrew Zimmerman show too. Never realized US has so much to offer either. Guess strange food isnt solely a chinese thing.
Actually after watching the series my views about China was changed a bit...before I thought it was only China and East countries having weirdest food but the Americas is no less at all.The bull balls,penis,insects etc etc is pretty common there and even considered delicacy.Moreover in France the cheese with live worms defecating inside is considered a delicacy.

What more is that in Americas MOST people are still extremely mis-informed that they would suffer from protein deficiency if they didn't eat animals.But some people who have learned better are getting back to Veg or even extreme the Vegan.

So come back to topic ir Tibetians self burning. :mad: :mad: :lol:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Sigh, Go there and see for yourself.

Or Google. To claim China has no diversity is one of the most ignorant statement I have heard on DFI, and trust me, I have heard alot.
I knew about China even before google came on earth but after TV/Net its became more clear and as I said there is no comparison of India and China when it comes to diversity based on People,Language,Religion,Philosophy,Colors,Faces,Dresses,Places,Geography,Architecture etc etc.

Accept this reality.... not sure why you are not accepting the truth and thinking its some insult to China.I am no way questioning your thousands years old civilization at all since it's a whole different thing.

ice berg

I knew about China even before google came on earth but after TV/Net its became more clear and as I said there is no comparison of India and China when it comes to diversity based on People,Language,Religion,Philosophy,Colors,Faces,Dresses,Places,Geography,Architecture etc etc.

Accept this reality.... not sure why you are not accepting the truth and thinking its some insult to China.I am no way questioning your thousands years old civilization at all since it's a whole different thing.
I am sorry, but it is hard to accept that"reality". Simply because it is not.

And I dont feel it is somehow an insult one way or another.

We are getting OT here though. Open a new thread and we can talk about it.

But first, I strongly suggest you do some search on internet first.

After all what is diversity and how do you compare two different cultures in this?

t_co

Yeah... I am not saying there is no veg food in China.I once went to a famous chain called "Mainland China" here to check out why there is so much hullabu about "Chinese Food".Me and my friend had hard time picking veg stuff.While my other friends had no issues at all and gobbled all types of animals.I had a sneak peak in the kitchen which was restricted and I saw same hands which was preparing non-veg was making veg food as well.So I had some baby corn and some similar stuff and ate lotta ice cream and sweets and avoided normal meal.
Speaking of vegetarianism... Chinese people have plenty of experience with avoiding meat for health reasons, but comparatively little experience with vegetarianism as a moral choice. I didn't have it growing up. I once dated an Indian-American girl; about eight months after we met, she invited me to meet her parents. I went to Costco and got a roast chicken and a bottle of Pinot grigio, because bringing wine and meat is the polite thing to do, right? Turns out that her father and sister were both vegetarians, and her father was also a non-drinker.

There is veg food in non-veg restaurants here as well but the same hands which makes non-veg stuff so its laced with non-veg often.

It's not just the TOI which I read(wrong guess you had about my news sources) but a LOT of resources which includes tv programs/news/sites on travel and food of all the countries.China is officially not a friendly place for veggies (including other eastern countries) where all types of animals(rats/snakes/bats/pigs brain/intestines) are roasted or even eaten alive as a delicacy :shocked: :scared2:
A lot of countries have strange eating habits. China/Vietnam/Korea is stranger than most, but not by much. Brave was the man that first tried a lobster or an oyster, and that's just among Anglo-American cuisine. The French eat snails (I've had them before--they're delicious); the Scots eat haggis ("sheep's heart, liver and lungs; minced with onion, oatmeal, animal fat, blood, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and encased in animal stomach"); and I cannot for the life of me understand how Northern Europeans eat fermented shark meat.

The Greenland shark itself is poisonous when fresh due to a high content of urea and trimethylamine oxide, but may be consumed after being processed (see below). It has a particular ammonia smell, similar to many cleaning products. It is often served in cubes on toothpicks. Those new to it will usually gag involuntarily on the first attempt to eat it due to the high ammonia content.[1] First-timers are sometimes advised to pinch their nose while taking the first bite as the smell is much stronger than the taste. It is often eaten with a shot of the local spirit, a type of akvavit, called brennivín. Eating hákarl is often associated with hardiness and strength.[2]
And that's not counting all the cultures that eat insects.

t_co

FYI, I think @Ray has an advanced case of sinophobia. Mods, you might want to look over the stuff he's writing.

Last edited by a moderator:

amoy

FYI, I think @Ray has an advanced case of sinophobia. Mods, you might want to look over the stuff he's writing.
my friend, it's "too simple, sometimes naive" , to say one is a sinophile (like Indian posters often mock Nehru), or the other is of sinophobia.

The Sino-India relationship is all defined by geopolitical conflict distinctively. Think about a cold fact - India has a pop. of 1.2mil, soon to over take China as the world's No.1. India is said to have a middle class of 0.2 or 0.3mil, but what abt the rest?? The contention for water, land, air, food, oil... in one word Lebensraum will just get more intensified than ever, and irreconcilable. India is an enemy state for China, or vice versa. That's why India will try by all means to undermine China. Tibetans in exile is no more than a chess for India to checkmate China (in futile though). India won't let go a chance to keep this issue (or they'd create other issues) heated for a leverage. If u play Go (Weiqi) u certainly would understand the jargon jiecai.

But as I wrote earlier the whole jiecai is waning, and Dalai is also a mortal. Tibetans in India would become a headache for India, rather than for China, as time goes by. Mark my word here.

China and the US - seemingly rivals - can and shall become amigo as Yin-Yang, but never will China and India Bhai-bhai. Why? Think harder.

Do browse for more insights on DFI and try to go beyond "personal liking" or "disliking".

t_co

my friend, it's "too simple, sometimes naive" , to say one is a sinophile (like Indian posters often refer to Nehru), or the other is of sinophobia.

The Sino-India relationship is all defined by geopolitical conflict distinctively. Think about a cold fact - India has a pop. of 1.2mil, soon to over take China as the world's No.1. India is said to have a middle class of 0.2 or 0.3mil, but what abt the rest?? The contention for water, air, food, oil... will just get intensified than ever, and irreconcilable. India is an enemy state for China, or vice versa. That's why India will try by all means to undermine China. Tibetans in exile is no more than a chess for India to checkmate China (in futile though as the whole thing is waning, and Dalai is also a mortal). India won't let go a chance to keep this issue (or they'd create other issues) heated for a leverage. If u play Go (Weiqi) u certainly would understand the jargon "jiecai".

Do browse for more insights on DFI and try to go beyond "personal liking" or "disliking".
But Ray isn't even saying the right things he should be saying if he wanted to hurt China.

Whenever I hear him speak, I keep thinking of a line from the Godfather: "Never hate your enemies, it clouds your judgment." Ray simply dislikes China, and it's definitely clouding what he thinks.

mikhail

Country flag
we run with 3000 pows on hold??? your pows can fly??? can your father ran like that? there is only one winner in 1962 war and in indian textbooks dont know what is written there............

at least we dont get kicked out by bangaldeshs or sri lankas and after any war we can make sure there is no cross LOC to behead our soldiers be it wars with the US/SK or soviet union or vietnam or india...........or sometimes parlimant ambush......
yeah the same way your coward army ran away from Vietnam:rofl:!i think you have forgotten about your a** wh**ping by the Vietnamese people:cool2:.tell me one thing if according to you china defeated us in '62,then why did the chini army ran with their tails between their legs and declared an unilateral ceasefire.afaik no superpower country intervened at that time,still your super powerful PLA ran away like a stray dogwithout even completing their primary objective which was to capture NEFA(present Arunachal Pradesh)!please don't give some lame excuse this time as we all know what a single company of our soldiers i.e.120 soldiers of Kumayon Regiment did to your PLA at the battle of Razing La.your army lost more than 10,000 soldiers in that entire war but we can never know the real casualty figure as china has a history of hiding evidences of its shameful defeat!n btw my father could outrun a 3-feet chini man on any given day:ranger:!

mikhail

Country flag
rather than an offical surrender to china by japanese???......you never know how to make the tiny uk surrender to you after killing raping and ruling my common wealth friend........
ask that old man in your avatar and he will also narrate the story of the mass surrender of PLA in front of the Imperial Japanese Army:rofl:!if it was not for the U.S.A. you would still remain as a Japanese colony!the only thing which you guys did was to run with your tails between your legs whenever you sighted an IJA soldier:rotflmao:!the real fighting was done by the U.S. Armed Forces and Japan surrendered only after the U.S. dropped those two nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagashaki otherwise it wasw beyond your capability to evn fight against the IJA let alone win the war:ranger:!you guys should forever be indebted to the U.S.A. for saving your a** from the mighty IJA in WW-2!

mikhail

Country flag
But Ray isn't even saying the right things he should be saying if he wanted to hurt China.

Whenever I hear him speak, I keep thinking of a line from the Godfather: "Never hate your enemies, it clouds your judgment." Ray simply dislikes China, and it's definitely clouding what he thinks.
first of all you are not even qualified to comment on Ray sir who is a retired Brigadier of the Indian Army!maybe its your tradition in china to bash and disrespect ex-military personnel but here in India our retired soldiers command huge respect from the common people and that's our tradition!but then again its about India we are talking about.:rolleyes:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
BG Ray gives as good as he gets from the 50-cent army, which is recently out in force. So do other Indians here. There is certainly room for cooler discussion all around.

Saying that, I do not hold myself up as a good example...

Overall, DFI is a benign forum to sort out nationalistic differences, especially since anybody here can give offense without even meaning to.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
first of all you are not even qualified to comment on Ray sir who is a retired Brigadier of the Indian Army!maybe its your tradition in china to bash and disrespect ex-military personnel but here in India our retired soldiers command huge respect from the common people and that's our tradition!but then again its about India we are talking about.:rolleyes:
True, but neither is BG Ray, VSM a shrinking violet. :)

ice berg

my friend, it's "too simple, sometimes naive" , to say one is a sinophile (like Indian posters often mock Nehru), or the other is of sinophobia.

The Sino-India relationship is all defined by geopolitical conflict distinctively. Think about a cold fact - India has a pop. of 1.2mil, soon to over take China as the world's No.1. India is said to have a middle class of 0.2 or 0.3mil, but what abt the rest?? The contention for water, land, air, food, oil... in one word Lebensraum will just get more intensified than ever, and irreconcilable. India is an enemy state for China, or vice versa. That's why India will try by all means to undermine China. Tibetans in exile is no more than a chess for India to checkmate China (in futile though). India won't let go a chance to keep this issue (or they'd create other issues) heated for a leverage. If u play Go (Weiqi) u certainly would understand the jargon jiecai.

But as I wrote earlier the whole jiecai is waning, and Dalai is also a mortal. Tibetans in India would become a headache for India, rather than for China, as time goes by. Mark my word here.

China and the US - seemingly rivals - can and shall become amigo as Yin-Yang, but never will China and India Bhai-bhai. Why? Think harder.

I would argue tibetans in India is already a headache for India. Those who are born in India are indian citizens. Thus their problem.

For good or worse, they are indians.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am afraid that is a wrong conclusion.

China has done great marvels and I will be the first to acknowledge the same.

India has also some greats.

But one must not merely harp on the great achievements.

One must debate and discuss issues that are contemporary with honesty.

That China is striving to be a superpower and well on its way cannot be overlooked.

But then the conversion from the Peaceful Rise to Aggressive Intent cannot be overlooked either.

But you all overlook the warts and deny the same.

Therefore, it is left to others to indicate the reality.

Is that being afflicted with Sinophobia?

Mods?

Most of my posts are with links.

So, what are you asking the Mods to do? Declare the links as incorrect?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I would argue tibetans in India is already a headache for India. Those who are born in India are indian citizens. Thus their problem.

For good or worse, they are indians.
There you go wrong again.

CCP is briefing you wrong.

They live here but are not citizens.

Citizens have the right to vote.

Tibetans don't!

I won't call them a headache.

I would say that they are not making things easier for India.

To that extent, you are spot on!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
DFI is a benign forum
@WGE

If it were not, as the Chairman, I could have unleashed a Cultural Revolution here and I have the right to do so! ;)

IThe Laogai is always there.

But have I banished anyone, even when they have gone personal?

No.

As Mao said, I also agree - Let 100 Flowers Bloom!

we must debate and get things off our chest and try to come closer as nations!

no smoking

Country flag
yeah the same way your coward army ran away from Vietnam:rofl:!i think you have forgotten about your a** wh**ping by the Vietnamese people:cool2:
Yes, the same we ran away from India. We were not seeking to destroy the country. After teaching a lesson, why shouldn't we retreat?

tell me one thing if according to you china defeated us in '62,then why did the chini army ran with their tails between their legs and declared an unilateral ceasefire.afaik no superpower country intervened at that time,still your super powerful PLA ran away like a stray dogwithout even completing their primary objective which was to capture NEFA(present Arunachal Pradesh)!please don't give some lame excuse this time as we all know what a single company of our soldiers i.e.120 soldiers of Kumayon Regiment did to your PLA at the battle of Razing La.your army lost more than 10,000 soldiers in that entire war but we can never know the real casualty figure as china has a history of hiding evidences of its shameful defeat!n btw my father could outrun a 3-feet chini man on any given day:ranger:!
Great, you should convince every indian with your theory: you guys should hold Nehru as the national hero for this great victory. Finally, an indian comes to the truth, why waste so many years on whinning.:cool2:

Impluseblade

I agree with you. Mikhail should celebrate 1962 victory every year.

Yes, the same we ran away from India. We were not seeking to destroy the country. After teaching a lesson, why shouldn't we retreat?

Great, you should convince every indian with your theory: you guys should hold Nehru as the national hero for this great victory. Finally, an indian comes to the truth, why waste so many years on whinning.:cool2:

t_co

China chose to pull back after winning all the battles of 1962 because of two reasons:

1) Holding onto too much territory would only have stirred up unnecessary feelings of revanche, much like those that exist between Pakistan and India today, or between France and Germany a hundred years ago. Diplomatically, it would have been counterproductive.

2) As soon as the PLA refrained from using the rout of the Indian 4th Infantry Division to exploit the operational-sized hole in the IA lines, the only option left for the PLA was to vacate. Putting PLA soldiers in a static situation where the IA had a better logistical grid behind them than the PLA did, without a wall of mountains to separate the two sides, would have led to an operationally unfavorable situation for PLA forces. The Indians could have concentrated more men and materiel with more speed on the other side, and sooner or later that PLA force would find its defensive situation untenable.

mikhail

Country flag

as if i care about what a two feet tall chini thinks about my country!well one thing is for sure you make that kind of a misadventure one more time and voila china will cease to exist from the world map:thumb:!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles