Why China blocks popular Internet sites

Simple_Guy

Malaysia Chronicle

I recently climbed the Great Wall of China. The sight was simply too awesome not to upload it onto my Facebook. But I was immediately blocked from doing so. Welcome to the Great Firewall of China.

According to Wikipedia, more than 2,600 websites have been blocked in China. But there are always exceptions. For instance, Hong Kong and Macau are excluded from the blockade because they are special administrative regions where most Chinese laws do not apply.

Apart from Facebook, other notable social media sites blocked include Twitter, YouTube, Wordpress, Picasa, Blogspot, Vimeo, Scribd, and the giant search engine Google.

But Wikipedia is not blocked. Instead it has a Chinese edition. The Chinese Wikipedia started a decade ago and has over 700,000 articles to date. Microblogging in China has also seen a quantum leap with 309 million people microblogging last year notably using Weibo, or China's version of Twitter.

If China has allowed and encouraged such exponential growth in social media and internet development, why does it need to firewall foreign sites?

The answer may be from a suggestion offered by a young staffer of Jike.com, the fledging two-year old state-cum party funded search engine, when I visited its impressive office in Beijing's financial district: "Google dominates the field, that's internet hegemony."

Simple_Guy

Chinese Internet censors failed to block US sleuths

China's best-known censorship engineer, Fang Binxing, said he was retiring. The Harbin-born computer scientist is widely decorated by the Communist Party establishment for his work on Internet security, including proposing and organizing the construction of a national infrastructure network to secure information, according to his biography on the university website.

The censorship system, which has come to be known as the Great Firewall, blocks certain foreign Internet content from Chinese users. The world's largest Internet population can't see newspaper stories critical of China's top leadership, details of abuse tracked by human rights groups and social networking sites like Facebook.

The controls have made Mr. Fang unpopular among the swelling ranks of China's digitally savvy class. When he spoke at one college, students pelted him with eggs and shoes. Even his simple greetings on a microblog have sparked massive verbal abuse.

Mr. Fang is facing a fresh line of criticism in the wake of allegations by former U.S. defense contractor Edward Snowden that American intelligence agencies regularly compromised Chinese servers.

In recent days, before Mr. Fang's resignation, some Internet commentators wondered whether he used some U.S. telecommunications equipment in building the firewall and whether such items made Chinese serves vulnerable to U.S. intelligence gathering.

Simple_Guy

Defence Forum India is also blocked in China. Tried it by a China proxy

nimo_cn

Country flag
Defence Forum India is also blocked in China. Tried it by a China proxy
Bullshit, dont flatter yourself, i have no problem accessing DFI through my cellphone.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

nimo_cn

Country flag
popular American Internet have been proved to be spy tools of NSA, they should be blocked for the sake of national security.

bose

Country flag
China should ban the internet itself, it solves all the problems no criticism and no corrupting of Chinese youth...

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Bloddy hell indian to has blocked one the famous website >no point in camparison

Simple_Guy

Bullshit, dont flatter yourself, i have no problem accessing DFI through my cellphone.
I'll take your word for it but I tried it with 4 chini proxies but no dice.

Chinese proxies are useless, like chini hardware is useless?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
China blocks internet sites in consonance with their policy of ensuring 'harmony' and 'law and order'.

Any site that excites the Chinese to think differently from the official Communist Chinese Party line would be promoting disharmony and serious law and order problems that may unseat the Communists from ruling China.

Obviously, that would not suit the Communist rulers to lose all their power, privileges, perks and pelf!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Xi and his hirelings won't have problems to do exactly that what you seem to suggest you are doing! ;)

Let us see any Chinese from China writing anything critical of Xi, the Communist Party or of China from their cell phones or any form of communication on a foreign forum!

Last edited:

t_co

China blocks internet sites in consonance with their policy of ensuring 'harmony' and 'law and order'.

Any site that excites the Chinese to think differently from the official Communist Chinese Party line would be promoting disharmony and serious law and order problems that may unseat the Communists from ruling China.

Obviously, that would not suit the Communist rulers to lose all their power, privileges, perks and pelf!
Actually, here you're displaying crass ignorance. The roots of China's internet policy lie with two key drivers:

1) Economic protection of domestic internet firms
2) National security

1 is probably the most important, as the payments from those internet firms to Party Central are what keeps the "broad consensus" against foreign internet firms in place.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Actually, here you're displaying crass ignorance. The roots of China's internet policy lie with two key drivers:

1) Economic protection of domestic internet firms
2) National security

1 is probably the most important, as the payments from those internet firms to Party Central are what keeps the "broad consensus" against foreign internet firms in place.
Indeed. the Communist Govt blocking internet site is ever so altruistic!

Go tell that to the Marines!

Propaganda that you show is a way over the top!

What is national security?

It is just what I had said.

The cyberspace cannot physically invade and take over territories of China, or can it?

But it sure can open up the Chinese mind to freedom and democracy and that is dangerous for the Communist Party's stranglehold over China!

nimo_cn

Country flag
Indeed. the Communist Govt blocking internet site is ever so altruistic!

Go tell that to the Marines!

Propaganda that you show is a way over the top!

What is national security?

It is just what I had said.

The cyberspace cannot physically invade and take over territories of China, or can it?

But it sure can open up the Chinese mind to freedom and democracy and that is dangerous for the Communist Party's stranglehold over China!
In a modern world, national security is not just about territorial security, cyberspace is also an increasingly important frontline.

If not, why is Indian intelligence bureau proposing to block Chinese instant message application wechat?

Can wechat physically invade and take over the territory of India?

What are you afraid of? Fearing that it will open up Indian mind to a prosperous and dynamic China?

American Internet companies have been proved to be deeply involved in a program attempting to spy the whole world, there is nothing wrong in banning a spy.

bennedose

There used to be a cartoon about former Karnataka chief minister Deve Gowda and his family. The legislature building in Bangalore has the words "Government's work is God's work" and the cartoon says "Government's work is Gowda's work"

A similar thing can be said of the Chinese government, "National security" of China is synonymous with the security of the Chinese Communist Politburo. Gowda was removed. But the ChiCom party cannot be removed. That would be the collapse of national security in China

Reactions: Ray

nimo_cn

Country flag
Xi and his hirelings won't have problems to do exactly that what you seem to suggest you are doing! ;)

Let us see any Chinese from China writing anything critical of Xi, the Communist Party or of China from their cell phones or any form of communication on a foreign forum!
But I am not Xi, i am just an ordinary Chinese frequenting an ordinary Indian site.

I dont have to be critical of Xi to prove anything to get the recognition of this forum, Xi is doing a good job as i see it.

amoy

BBC News - EU concern over Der Spiegel claim of US spying

The head of the European Parliament has demanded "full clarification" from the US over a report that key EU premises in America have been bugged.

Martin Schulz said that if this was true, it would have a "severe impact" on ties between the EU and the US.

The report, carried by Germany's Der Spiegel magazine, cites a secret 2010 document alleging that the US spied on EU offices in New York and Washington.

Fugitive ex-CIA analyst Edward Snowden leaked the paper, Der Spiegel says.

Mr Snowden - a former contractor for the CIA and also the National Security Agency (NSA) - has since requested asylum in Ecuador.

According to the document - which Der Spiegel says comes from the NSA - the agency spied on EU internal computer networks in Washington and at the 27-member bloc's UN office in New York.

The document also allegedly refers to the EU as a "target".

It is not known what information US spies might have got, but details of European positions on trade and military matters would have been useful to those involved in negotiations between Washington and European governments, the BBC's Stephen Evans says.

no smoking

Country flag

Why any Chinese need to express their anger in a foreign forum with a foreign language when they have plenty of domestic forums to cry out in Chinese. It will make more senses to them to critisize their leader or CCP in the language both can understand such as Chinese?

I don't see any india coming to Chinese forum to critisie Indian gov in Chinese.

Simple_Guy

China blocks Google services for common people, but does business with the American hegemon.

28Tbps undersea fiber backed by Google, China Telecom, NEC goes live. The 8,900 kilometer fiber cable system connects Japan, China, Singapore and the Philippines

In September 2011, Google acquired 15 hectares (150,000 square meters) in Taiwan to construct a facility that is to go live this year. It also said it acquired smaller plots in Hong Kong and Singapore that month to build data centers.
Computerworld

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Why any Chinese need to express their anger in a foreign forum with a foreign language when they have plenty of domestic forums to cry out in Chinese. It will make more senses to them to critisize their leader or CCP in the language both can understand such as Chinese?

I don't see any india coming to Chinese forum to critisie Indian gov in Chinese.
You don't see Indians because very few know the Chinese language.

In fact, there are very few foreigners in the Chinese forum since Chinese is not an international language like English.

In an English language forum, no matter in which country, there are a whole lot of posters that include the natives as also many many foreigners.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles