Why are Chinese tourists so rude? A few insights

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Why are Chinese tourists so rude? A few insights

After almost every 'rude Chinese tourist' story, unfortunately, made SCMP.com's top-10 list, I decided to give the question some serious thought

Tourists holding umbrellas visit Tiananmen Square in Beijing. Photo: Reuters

hey are seen as pushy, loud, impolite, unruly, and they are everywhere.

And although destination countries welcome the tourism dollars the Chinese spend, they loathe the chaos and hassle some mainland tourists bring upon their cities and other tourists.

"Why can't they just behave?" people wonder, some aloud.

I have been asking myself the same question in the past months after reporting on the uncivilised, sometimes galling behaviour of some compatriots.

It seems that every time a "rude Chinese tourist" story is published on SCMP.com, it goes straight into the site's top 10 most read articles - one such article even managed to crawl back to the top months after it was posted. So I decided to give the question some serious thought.

I read up on the topic, talked to tourism experts and travel agents and chatted with some of these tourists who are now at the centre of public anger.

It soon dawned on me that the real question to ask is: "Why are the Chinese rude?"

Yong Chen, tourism researcher and post-doctoral fellow at Hong Kong Polytechnic University, said most "bad" tourists don't intend to be "bad" or "tourists", they are just being themselves - they are being Chinese.

Education makes a difference

Not every Chinese tourist is a rude one, and educated people are usually better behaved than those who have had a lower standard of education, said Chen.

This could be why middle-aged or older tourists who have been deprived of or received little education during China's politically tumultuous times tend to act more unruly. Many of them do not speak English, and some are not fluent Putonghua speakers. Their knowledge of the destination country and its culture is often at best outdated or non-existent.

This might explain the behaviour of a "rogue" mainland couple who recently visited Hong Kong with a group. They called the police and demanded HK$3,000 yuan in compensation after being made to wait two hours for their coach. The travel agency later said the coach had broken down and accused them of "blackmailing".

Disregard for customs and rules

Jenny Wang, a Beijing-based Maldives travel agent, said uneducated tourists usually turn a blind eye to local rules and customs.

A Chinese man who was recently vacationing at a Maldives resort flipped out after discovering that the restaurant where he wanted to eat was fully booked, Wang said. He yelled threats and slurs at Chinese staff until one member was in tears.

"You cannot reason with these kinds of people," Wang said. "They think they can do anything with their money."

But one thing many Chinese vacationers don't want to do with their money is tip - a custom in some places which many have ignored, Wang said.

Though most travel agents in China would educate their clients about tipping in a foreign country ahead of their trip, most people ended up tipping very little or none.

Some are not used to the idea of tipping, and they fail to understand that staff working at the Maldives resorts, who usually earn a meagre salary, rely heavily on tips, Wang said.

This has created increasing tensions between the Chinese and their hosts. Staff would naturally prefer serving guests from countries with a tipping culture. Other staff have gone after Chinese clients and asked openly for tips, a rare thing for them to do in the past.

Lawless for a reason

Students at Ewha University in Seoul, known for its beautiful campus, have recently complained about an influx of Chinese tourists, said the school.

Apparently taking photos on campus was not enough. Some camera-toting Chinese would also stride into libraries and take photos without the permission of students, according to media reports.

"As much as we want to keep the campus open to the local community," said a university representative, "we'd like to prioritise our students' right to study in a quiet and safe environment."

Ewha resolved the crisis by putting up multi-language signs advising tourists to stay clear of study areas.

It seems that thousands of years after Confucius admonished his students not to "impose on others what you yourself don't desire", the Chinese now act in quite the opposite way.

Such people, both overseas and at home, selfishly skirted rules for a reason, said Chen.

Living in China, where the rule-of-law doesn't exist, means everyone has to look out for their own interest. It also means people have little or no respect for laws.

This is bound to happen when ordinary folk are forced to watch their laws being violated every day by their leaders, Chen said, citing the Chinese idiom, shang xing xia xiao, meaning "people in lower class follow what their leaders in the upper class do".

How long do we have to put up with bad tourists?

China and its people are paying a price for the bad behaviour of their tourists.

A poll by the Public Opinion Programme of the University of Hong Kong recently found that the number of Hongkongers holding negative feelings towards Beijing and mainland Chinese is up by about 40 per cent since November.

Following that survey, SCMP.com conducted another online poll on Wednesday, headlined "What makes some Hongkongers dislike mainland China and its people?"

As of noon, more than 50 per cent readers blamed the negative feelings on "ill-behaved tourists".

"The Chinese government and travel agencies should take the initiative to educate our tourists," Chen said, urging co-operation from both authorities and private sectors.

While many argue that historically American and Japanese tourists were also criticised for their bad behaviour when they became wealthy enough and traveled abroad for the first time, Chen said the Chinese should not use this as an excuse.

In fact, the Communist Party's Central Guidance Commission for Building Spiritual Civilisation and the China National Tourism Administration have recently issued a 128-character-long rhyme to remind tourists of behaving in a "civilised manner" on the road. The topic has also been a big hit on China's social media, where bloggers discuss and criticise the uncivlised behaviour of their compatriots.

But many are not optimistic that the situation will change any time soon.

"Chinese tourists have a long way to go before they will be respected by the world," said Wang.

Why are Chinese tourists so rude? A few insights | South China Morning Post

The Chinese are rude since they cannot fathom the freedom that others enjoy in the countries they visit and so they want to soak themselves in this freedom as caged parrots set free soar wildly.

Then there is the Han cultural arrogance where they think that they can do no wrong!

They have experienced that money and privileges in China can open all doos.

Therefore, the nouveau riche amongst them feel that the same is applicable in foreign countries till they realise they are sadly mistaken!

The Chinese are very thrifty people, so why should they tip for services that people in the service industry are supposed to give for the money the Chinese are paying? Good logic, but not the custom in many countries though!

And their habit of hawking (taking up the phlegm and swallowing it or spitting it out) and loud voices do jar the people who are not used to it! And they spit a lot!

They just have to be put in their place and they are fine!

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Japanese hail Chinese student for saving boy from raging river | South China Morning Post
Yan was called everything from "heroic" to "selfless", and more than a few commentators said: "Chinese people are so brave."

Such a positive online response is rare in Japan, where the stereotype of the rude Chinese tourist is frequently propagated. And a territorial dispute between China and Japan over the Diaoyu Islands, called the Senkaku Islands in Japan, has done little to improve Japanese perceptions of Chinese visitors.
One Chinese does something praiseworthy but it can't be reported without bringing in the "rude Chinese tourist."

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Chinese are not a bad sort.

They are helpful.

But the majority have lost their head with easy and unaccountable wealth, wherein as tourists they are a pain in the wrong place of the anatomy!

and anyway, people do help those who are drowning.

One of the Ministers of Karnataka did so and saved a family from a sinking car.

But does that make all politicians as helpful as him?

Karnataka minister, staff jump into lake, save 6 in sinking car
http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...2182273_1_sinking-car-education-minister-lake

Last edited:

s002wjh

Country flag
i think any uneducated tourist will behave bad, not just chinese

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
chinese are arrogant people.
i really hate there loud accent.
last time i visited taj mahal i saw a couple of chinese girl talking in really harsh chinese accent and they even blocked the stairs.
they didn't moved an inch until a police man asked them to move there a&& to make way for the others.
they were so annoying that if i have carl gustav i would have used it on them ugly loud mouth chinese.
they should behave and talk quietly when visiting places like taj mahal which is actually a burial palace of two most famous love birds but hey they are chinese and they have to show there fake arrogance :sick:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
i think any uneducated tourist will behave bad, not just chinese
It appears that China has a surfeit of them.

That is why all are complaining around the world.

Surprising, that the Chinese who live outside China and are domicile of foreign nations are not of the same type.

Maybe the culture of Mainland China is rough and rude and the false notion money speaks is their mantra that leads to rudeness.and being crass and crude.

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
The new found money can transform even a simpleton into an arrogant person.
It's a whole different thing how they earned this money, those millions of chinese in sweatshops making products for westerners and making fellow chinese proud and rich with a bit of arrogance.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Literally "new rich" (pronounced noo-voh reesh), less literally "new money," this is the negative take on the Self-Made Man—or any character who unexpectedly came into money. The Nouveau Riche are characterized as rude and tasteless, and frequently contrasted with the refined manners of aristocratic characters.
How they made the money depends where they come from and when the particular work is set. If British, expect them to be from either Oop North (with wealth made from industry) or more recently, London/Essex (with new wealth from the financial sector). If American, expect them to be Hollywood California people with bleach-blonde Valley Girl daughters, slovenly white trash who won either the lottery or a big-time settlement, obese Texan oil barons, cattle tycoons, or (if set in pre-Civil War times) a cotton-pickin', slave-whippin' Fat, Sweaty Southerner in a White Suit. If black, expect a flashy character from a Glam Rap video. Especially unsympathetic depictions may give them ties to organized crime - or otherwise contempt towards the social class they used to belong to. Common accessories for this class include fur coats, gaudy jewelry, obnoxiously color-coordinated suits, and gold teeth.

Apply it under the nouveau riche Chinese environment and you have the answer!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Ray said:
The Chinese are very thrifty people, so why should they tip for services that people in the service industry are supposed to give for the money the Chinese are paying? Good logic, but not the custom in many countries though!
When I first got to Guangzhou I needed wifi so I found a Starbucks and on my cup read... "Tipping is not a city in China." The culture makes them selfish, the only people they care about are their immediate family and themselves. If you aren't one of those they will watch you die on the street and not lift a finger to help you.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
When I first got to Guangzhou I needed wifi so I found a Starbucks and on my cup read... "Tipping is not a city in China." The culture makes them selfish, the only people they care about are their immediate family and themselves. If you aren't one of those they will watch you die on the street and not lift a finger to help you.
I presume that is because of their turbulent history, where it was full of strife, turmoil, continual wars and conquest and subjugation of those who they captured and converted into Han and then, facing humiliation at the hands of foreign powers, throughout history who treated them as dirt and even making them face humiliation of wearing pigtails and so on! The Japanese from such a small group of islands, make them eat crow.

In such an environment, it is natural that the psychology of self preservation paramounts..

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
"Tipping is not a city in China."
Beijing is!

Big bribes are required to get things done and that is, in a way, is tipping in a grand scale! :)

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I have had good experiance with chinese tourists in switzerland. Nice people they were!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I have had good experiance with chinese tourists in switzerland. Nice people they were!
I watched Chinese poop on the side walk and spit on my shoe in their own country. They certainly aren't going to show better conduct in other countries.

no smoking

Country flag

Because we the new one just getting rich and those who worked in australian tourisem long enough still remember the same rudness from Japanese in last 60s and korean/taiwaneses in last 80s.

The factor that makes worse is there are too many of Chinese tourists out there.

Surprising, that the Chinese who live outside China and are domicile of foreign nations are not of the same type.
Well, that means they can learn as much as Japanese, Korean and others.

Maybe the culture of Mainland China is rough and rude and the false notion money speaks is their mantra that leads to rudeness.and being crass and crude.
My friend, it is natural thinking from those who just jumped out of poverty.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Because we the new one just getting rich and those who worked in australian tourisem long enough still remember the same rudness from Japanese in last 60s and korean/taiwaneses in last 80s.
Maybe so.

But then the Chinese claim that they are a great civilisation with immense culture.

Don't you think the Chinese tourist should live up to that claim?

Or is it another propaganda that the civilisation and culture is great?

Make up your mind.

The factor that makes worse is there are too many of Chinese tourists out there.

W
ell, that means they can learn as much as Japanese, Korean and others.
Maybe.

But the Chinese who are domiciles of foreign countries have mixed with 'not so great civilisations as China's'!

And yet they are more civilised than those who live within the framework of what is claimed to be China's great civilisation and in China!

My friend, it is natural thinking from those who just jumped out of poverty.
Not if they claim to have heritage, fine manners, a great civilisation as their background.

s002wjh

Country flag
chinese are arrogant people.
i really hate there loud accent.
last time i visited taj mahal i saw a couple of chinese girl talking in really harsh chinese accent and they even blocked the stairs.
they didn't moved an inch until a police man asked them to move there a&& to make way for the others.
they were so annoying that if i have carl gustav i would have used it on them ugly loud mouth chinese.
they should behave and talk quietly when visiting places like taj mahal which is actually a burial palace of two most famous love birds but hey they are chinese and they have to show there fake arrogance :sick:
so you judge 1billion for a couple of chinese teenager !!!. all the chinese i meet in the state are friendly and polite, and its not just from my experencie but from my co-worker etc too

s002wjh

Country flag

i disagree i went to china before, people i know had chinese live in their home for week before. and from my experenice and others they are friendly and polite, of course everything has exception. there are rude indian tourist too, but i don't judge ALL indian due to few.

Tolaha

When our desis start conquering the world tourist spots in significant numbers, their behaviour and the subsequent response, probably might just be a few degrees lesser than that of the Chinese.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
i disagree i went to china before, people i know had chinese live in their home for week before. and from my experenice and others they are friendly and polite, of course everything has exception. there are rude indian tourist too, but i don't judge ALL indian due to few.
I don't disagree with your experience, they are great if you are close to them and you stay with them; more so, if you have a U S passport.

But tourists are a different kettle of fish.

I am sure there would be horrid Indian tourists.

However, the Chinese tourists are taken to be the most lousy kind so far as manners are concerned. Even the Chinese govt has found it embarrassing and gave directions how to behave,

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
thanks for the Info Zoom, Musharaf has admitted that Korean Tech was crucial and so has Benazir. Only the people living under a false illusion would say its fully Indigenous.

I liked the Recent Cruise missile, Babur of pakistan. I mean its a potent weapons system, all the more because of the Tomahawk.
Most lousy kind? not necessary. People who have acquainted with Indians would understand that they talk aloud and like playing music with the phone speaker on while they are taking a walk. That is the most exotic scene in my campus, every time we walk by an Indian student, we learn a new Hindi song.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

Global Defence

New threads

Articles