Why are a majority of Scientists from South India

pmaitra

LTTE is from the South. Manmohan Singh has a PhD.

What a silly thread.

Blackwater

Some research seems to point that some communities are more developed in other skills, nothing conclusive AFAIK.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

chal singh tu meri gaal samaj ta gaya wa

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Going in Gym and doing your exercise and having balanced diet all that require brains too ( Math & Science )..

Smjha ab..
Different sets of skills.

Environment, genetics all play a role

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

cloud

Country flag
North Indian are more interested in Money(check any IITs etc, they have many north Indians almost everyone goes for big corporate jobs), Same with south Indians too. But a few people (only talking about lets say top 10 in class :p ) in NITs etc do choose to go for Defence PSUs(here Good NITs are mostly from south except from Surat, probably this also makes a little difference). In north people join research institute to get a Govt job and steady income rather then interest for work. I'm from north, studied and working in south for past 10 years.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Some people are more adept to desk jobs and jobs that does not involve too much of physical labour.

It become a part of the psychology to attain skills that contribute to such a job quest.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
seafood...............................................lol.
Raw seafood and that is why the Japanese are such great innovators in the science and technology field! :pound:

Tolaha

Please give me the answer. Why almost all scientist (missile, aerospace) are from the south?
Do we have any statistics that back this claim? Not saying you are wrong but just that a discussion would be more fruitful if we get the basic doubts out of the way!

Offices of ISRO are spread out in many different parts of the country. Regarding IISC, it was started by the Tatas inspired by the vision of Vivekananda in the beginning of the 19th century. The reason it was established in Bangalore was because the Wodeyar (Maharaja of Mysore) was enthusiastic about such an institution and had also donated a huge track of land for it to get started. While the number of engineering institutes are high, a top class premier scientific and technological institute right in the heart of South India will have given easy access and may have inspired many to take up degrees in Research. This would create a ready pool of qualified folks who could be picked up by R&D companies. This Institute may have been the reason for more scientists coming from South India. Ofcourse, all these theories are based on an assumption that there are indeed more scientists coming from these parts.

Tolaha

Indian Institute of Science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After an accidental meeting between Jamsetji N. Tata and Swami Vivekananda on a ship in 1893 where they discussed Tata's plan of bringing the steel industry to India, Tata wrote to Vivekananda five years later:[8][9]

" I trust, you remember me as a fellow-traveller on your voyage from Japan to Chicago. I very much recall at this moment your views on the growth of the ascetic spirit in India... I recall these ideas in connection with my scheme of Research Institute of Science for India, of which you have doubtless heard or read "

Impressed by Vivekananda's views on science and leadership abilities, Tata wanted him to guide his campaign. Vivekananda endorsed the project with enthusiasm, and Tata, with the aim of advancing the scientific capabilities of the country, constituted a Provisional Committee to prepare a plan for setting up of an Institute of research and higher education. The committee presented a draft proposal to Lord Curzon on 31 December 1898.[10] Subsequently, Prof. Sir William Ramsay, a Nobel Laureate, was called on to propose a suitable place for such an institution who suggested Bangalore as the best location.

The land and other facilities for the institution were donated by H.H. Sir Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV, the Maharaja of Mysore (a Princely State now called State of Karnataka), and Tata himself. The Maharaja donated about 400 acres (1.6 km2)[11] of land worth 2 billion US dollars today.[12] Tata gave several buildings towards the creation of IISc.[13]

The constitution of the Institute was approved by the Viceroy, Lord Minto, and the necessary Vesting Order to enable it to function was signed on 27 May 1909.[14] Early in 1911, the Maharaja of Mysore laid the foundation stone of the Institute, and on 24 July, the first batch of students were admitted in the Departments of General and Applied Chemistry under Norman Rudolf and Electro-Technology under Alferd Hay. Within two months, the Department of Organic Chemistry was opened. With the establishment of the University Grants Commission in 1956, the Institute came under its purview as a deemed university.

At the time of the inception of IISc in 1909, Morris Travers, Sir William Ramsay's co-worker in the discovery of the noble gases, became its first Director. For Travers, this was a natural continuation of his work on the Institute, since he had played a role in its founding. The first Indian Director was the Nobel Laureate Sir C.V. Raman. Raman was the Indian Science based Nobel Laureate

Victor Sierra

Country flag
ohh So the Scientists who are leaving DRDO & moving to private companies are south-Indians...

That means South-Indians are more interested into making money.

North-India...
Well it depends which state you are talking about. Almost every state is different unlike south-India which is full of brains.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles