Why are 96.7 % of Indians studying engineering?

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Has OP's level of ******ry been decided yet?

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
The truth is that most Indians are extremely risk averse. They cannot handle any degree of uncertainty over their future, and hence end up being miserable by jumping the gun. Also, most Indians are extremely docile and obsequious to their parents.
It's called "filial duty'. This word used to have some meaning in western culture, but over the centuries, it has all but disappeared, and when the word "family" is used in the western context, it now only means the husband, wife and their kids. Parents, siblings etc are not considered your "family". It is a ridiculous notion and goes against all logic. How can those who are related to you by blood not be your family and an unrelated person, your spouse, be the most important from the legal point of view?

Indian values are thankfully, still grounded in stories such as that of Shravan (link below FYI), although day by day, they are also getting eroded due to copycatying western "culture". .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shravan

I have even heard some young Indian professionals comment that their parents are a "liability". Shame on such individuals.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
I told people in india I was studying philosophy and they laughed at me. I hate them ever since. Why you make fun of it is not right.

Free Karma

I have a legit question, cause I really dont know:

What will you for money after studying philosophy? I'm guessing teaching, or research? I've never really seen any jobs that ask for philosophers.

There was a movie taken on this a few years ago, where there was a guy who does M.A in Tamil, and is actually a brilliant student. But in the end he sees that his friends who were not really good have gotten far more money position etc (IT,call center workers), and he starts to wonder if he made thw wrong choice in taking an arts degree. The movie does not have a happy ending.

Or you could do a language degree and start writing songs/punch dialogs for movies!!:taunt1: or maybe even get into political parties :D There are many options to go in, but the chance for high success is low, and most of the jobs are low paying govt jobs.

Last edited:

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
I have a legit question, cause I really dont know:

What will you for money after studying philosophy? I'm guessing teaching, or research? I've never really seen any jobs that ask for philosophers.

There was a movie taken on this a few years ago, where there was a guy who does M.A in Tamil, and is actually a brilliant student. But in the end he sees that his friends who were not really good have gotten far more money position etc (IT,call center workers), and he starts to wonder if he made thw wrong choice in taking an arts degree. The movie does not have a happy ending.

Or you could do a language degree and start writing songs/punch dialogs for movies!!:taunt1: or maybe even get into political parties :D There are many options to go in, but the chance for high success is low, and most of the jobs are low paying govt jobs.
There's more to life than money. Cliche but true.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Why is your avatar a picture of Nietzsche? TAKE IT OFF
I studied Philosophy in uni myself. But I didn't get a degree in philosophy, as it would have been useless. :lol: You can follow your interests while also being practical about your future. Of course, my case was different though. I wasn't a spoiled rich kid and actually wanted to achieve something in life. ;)

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
I studied Philosophy in uni myself. But I didn't get a degree in philosophy, as it would have been useless. :lol: You can follow your interests while also being practical about your future. Of course, my case was different though. I wasn't a spoiled rich kid and actually wanted to achieve something in life. ;)
What did you achieve? And I'm not a spoiled rich kid. My parents are middle class. Your assumptions have no rational basis.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
What did you achieve? And I'm not a spoiled rich kid. My parents are middle class. Your assumptions have no rational basis.
My achievements are not for public consumption. ;) But what will take you 2 degrees and 8+ years to achieve, I did in 4. Enuff said. If your parents are middle class, then all the more reason to not get a useless B.A.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
My achievements are not for public consumption. ;) But what will take you 2 degrees and 8+ years to achieve, I did in 4. Enuff said. If your parents are middle class, then all the more reason to not get a useless B.A.
Doctors are idiots. You have no achievements.

shankyz

Country flag
People fighting like kids here : Mine is better :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
A b c d e f g h i j k l m n ****** q r s t u v w x y z

Global Defence

Articles