Why are 96.7 % of Indians studying engineering?

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Indians seem enamored with engineering so much so that it seems, almost all of them are either studying to be engineers or are already engineers. [Disgraceful expletives purged!] Can a will willed Indian engineer shed some light on this matter? Thanks.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Where did you get the figure of 96.7% from, your posterior?

Most Indians do either engineering or medicine because those are the best-paying jobs and come with the highest social prestige. And Indians are obsessed with money and social prestige.

On the other hand, people who study useless subjects like Philosophy will remain unemployable for the rest of their lives, save for menial jobs in fast food restaurants.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Where did you get the figure of 96.7% from, your posterior?

Most Indians do either engineering or medicine because those are the best-paying jobs and come with the highest social prestige. And Indians are obsessed with money and social prestige.

On the other hand, people who study useless subjects like Philosophy will remain unemployable for the rest of their lives, save for menial jobs in fast food restaurants.
Keep this kind of commentary to yourself. Most Indians are sheep and live like the sheep their whole life. Why would I want that kind of life? No thanks.
You did answer my question though. It is true that Indians are obsessed with prestige but engineering is not prestigious, especially not when every one else is doing it too.

kseeker

Retired
Indians seem enamored with engineering so much so that it seems, almost all of them are either studying to be engineers or are already engineers. Even my parents told me to study engineering but I told them to f*k off. Can a will willed Indian engineer shed some light on this matter? Thanks.

For most of the middle class Indian parents, it has become a perception that, only Engineers or Doctors can get better job than others. So they insist their children to chose between Engineering or Mediscinal studies in the first place.

Why are 96.7 % of Indians studying engineering?
Overall Indian literacy rate is around 74 % per se !

96.7 % Indians Studying Engineering :shocked: :fp: where did you get that figure ? :confused:

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
For most of the middle class Indian parents, it has become a perception that, only Engineers or Doctors can get better job than others. So they insist their children to chose between Engineering or Mediscinal studies in the first place.

Overall Indian literacy rate is around 74 % per se !

96.7 % Indians Studying Engineering :shocked: :fp: where did you get that figure ? :confused:
I made it up. I know, shocking right.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Wow ! a Philosopher on DFI ! :clap:

Well, what inspired you to ask this question about Indian engineers ?
Most of my extended family in india are pursuing engineering/ working as engineers even though it's clear that most of them have neither the aptitude nor the interest for it.

gokussj9

Country flag
Most of my extended family in india are pursuing engineering/ working as engineers even though it's clear that most of them have neither the aptitude nor the interest for it.
That sums it up pretty much. :lol:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sometimes one has to take drastic measures to lay down the law, so to speak.
Interesting is all that I can say.

I don't think it is correct to use foul words to your parents, no matter in which societal norms one has been brought up.

But you are entitled to your way of addressing your parents.

After all, if they accept such language, who are others to advise?

Not to criticise or otherwise, but it is true that I was a bit taken aback; and so I wondered.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Interesting is all that I can say.

I don't think it is correct to use foul words to your parents, no matter in which societal norms one has been brought up.

But you are entitled to your way of addressing your parents.

After all, if they accept such language, who are others to advise?

Not to criticise or otherwise, but it is true that I was a bit taken aback; and so I wondered.
Well I didn't tell them to F off at least not in those exact terms. But that is the no bullshit essence of what I said.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Interesting. Then I wish you luck in your career of working in restaurants. :p
I'll go to law/grad school and make fun of low class engineers instead. And for those who think it's because I couldn't handle the math, I'll have you know that I am a natural in math.

Last edited:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
US Visa, that's why :dude:

India is shitting out B.Tech + MBA robots by the minute.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Keep this kind of commentary to yourself. Most Indians are sheep and live like the sheep their whole life. Why would I want that kind of life? No thanks.
You did answer my question though. It is true that Indians are obsessed with prestige but engineering is not prestigious, especially not when every one else is doing it too.
Another kid with a bad attitude and identity crisis.

And a narrow minded philosopher too.

Just make sure that you don't chose to come to Gpvt. service please!!!! There're already an abundance of guys like you

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Here's a reality check for you, especially relevant given where you're located.

Of course, might be too late now, so sorry....and good luck with your "professional" :)pound:) degree.

Here's another:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles