Who is the most Evil individual from the 20th century ?

Most evil of the 20th Century

• Mao Zedong

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Joseph Stalin

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • Adolf Hitler

Votes: 26 20.2%
  • Winston Churchill

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • Henry Kissinger

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Hirohito

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Jinnah

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Pol Pot

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Idi Amin

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yahya Khan

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
30 million died in bengal famine alone
Amartya Sen in his book "famines & poverty" conclude that it was more of a hoarding problem rather than an inflationary and supply side problem as claimed by Madhushree Mukhreji.
But recent disclosures about Kenya Mau Mau rebellion shows the true picture of self-proclaimed and huminatarian British Raj. More research is needed on this front. Although, I would still not put the entire blame on Churchill for this since it was a natural calamity aided by Hitler/Japan's aggression. The role of Churchill came after these two incidents in denying the supply of rice/grains to Bengal.

ejazr

Ambassador
Add Jinnah... sare fasaad ki jad... the sepratist of the century responsible of division of India.... we are STILL facing issues he created while others ended.
Well Jinnah would not have been able to accomplish anything without British overt and covert support. Infact, Wavell who was the penultimate viceroy of India had already worked on and approved a partition plan down to which districts would go where which was later used as a blueprint in 1947.

If anything Lord Wavell and Churchill had a greater share of realising the partition than Jinnah.

I would recommend the book by ADC to lord mounbatten Narendra Singh Sarila - In the shadow of the great game. Its a critica book to understand the British politics behind the partition. To know more about their schemings, I would also suggest Facts are Sacred by Bacha Khan's son as well which is available online.
Facts Are Sacred by Wali Khan

Both of these authors based a major portion of their work on declassified documents from the British India office as well as US documents.

lemontree

Professional
I voted Hitler as the most evil for the wave of destruction started by him.
After Hitler comes Stalin, who was a vicious dictator.
Mao was not evil, but his mistakes for development were monumental blunders.

Jinnah comes next in line for perpetrating the communal carnage in the sub-continent.
Yahaya Khan, Tikka Khan, Idi Amin and Pol Pot were butchers in uniform.

LalTopi

Yes, you are right. The Japanese also carried out large scale massacres in territories they controlled. However, instead of going ballistic, what you could do is post references to support your claims. That way, your points carry a lot more weight and become more credible than posts that are unsupported.

Here are two examples:
The Rape of Nanking (book) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nanking Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will add Hirohito to the list.
I think this should be Hideki Tojo, the military dictator at that time.

LalTopi

The death toll in the Bengal famine was 3 million. Nevertheless I would vote for Churchill as the most evil. The reason is that all the others have already been exposed and recognised as evil, but the Europeans and North Americans and Australia still think Churchill as some kind of hero. Really, the Brits still think colonialism was some kind of great tea party. Churchill should be voted as the most evil, if for anything to publicise the atrocities he got away with.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The death toll in the Bengal famine was 3 million. Nevertheless I would vote for Churchill as the most evil. The reason is that all the others have already been exposed and recognised as evil, but the Europeans and North Americans and Australia still think Churchill as some kind of hero. Really, the Brits still think colonialism was some kind of great tea party. Churchill should be voted as the most evil, if for anything to publicise the atrocities he got away with.
Please elaborate on why he is evil to you...

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Winston Churchill for me. I didnt know if there was a poll and with just reading the title i knew it had to be Churchill. Bloody bastard.
Ohh..common..There is a difference between letting people die in famine and sending them for execution to gulags..In the former case, people can help each other, community supporters might get in, people might migrate and you are free to find a way out. In the latter case, you have one and only one option i.e. death, no matter what you do.

People might come and blame Mr. Gandhi for it as well. He started Quit India Movement when British were in a topsy-turvy situation and Churchill got pissed off. So, the reason behind your reason is Gandhi!!

I know Churchill was one big racist, but he is nowhere in the league of big brother(Mao,Stalin,Hitler).

Nagraj

But ejazr the document looks a bit unreliable . are u sure these can trusted and the author has not left out anything to prove his point and twist facts in the process???
just asking so that i become sure before investing time reading them!
Well Jinnah would not have been able to accomplish anything without British overt and covert support. Infact, Wavell who was the penultimate viceroy of India had already worked on and approved a partition plan down to which districts would go where which was later used as a blueprint in 1947.

If anything Lord Wavell and Churchill had a greater share of realising the partition than Jinnah.

I would recommend the book by ADC to lord mounbatten Narendra Singh Sarila - In the shadow of the great game. Its a critica book to understand the British politics behind the partition. To know more about their schemings, I would also suggest Facts are Sacred by Bacha Khan's son as well which is available online.
Facts Are Sacred by Wali Khan

Both of these authors based a major portion of their work on declassified documents from the British India office as well as US documents.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Ohh..common..There is a difference between letting people die in famine and sending them for execution to gulags..In the former case, people can help each other, community supporters might get in, people might migrate and you are free to find a way out. In the latter case, you have one and only one option i.e. death, no matter what you do.

People might come and blame Mr. Gandhi for it as well. He started Quit India Movement when British were in a topsy-turvy situation and Churchill got pissed off. So, the reason behind your reason is Gandhi!!

I know Churchill was one big racist, but he is nowhere in the league of big brother(Mao,Stalin,Hitler).
I talked completely from Indian context.

I still take offence to declaring him a saint who let millions die but not called a criminal for it while Hitler is a criminal who killed millions in gas chambers. while hitler sure was criminal, its just that Churchill gets away because he was the PM of the empire and on the winning side of WWII. I am sure the millions who lost their lives because of him may still have their ghosts roaming.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
I talked completely from Indian context.

I still take offence to declaring him a saint who let millions die but not called a criminal for it while Hitler is a criminal who killed millions in gas chambers. while hitler sure was criminal, its just that Churchill gets away because he was the PM of the empire and on the winning side of WWII. I am sure the millions who lost their lives because of him may still have their ghosts roaming.
Definitely, he is no saint. But had it not been him, but his predecessors like Neville Chamberlain many more would have rotten in the concentration camps/gulags.

Since the thread is to name the most evil person of the century, I just thought we should not get biased due to the Indian connection.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Definitely, he is no saint. But had it not been him, but his predecessors like Neville Chamberlain many more would have rotten in the concentration camps/gulags.

Since the thread is to name the most evil person of the century, I just thought we should not get biased due to the Indian connection.
you will get different answers from different countries.

I may well call hitler a saint and a hero for supporting Netaji Bose in his efforts against the British. The Japanese were good for us for the same reasons.

Jews hate Hitler for obvious reasons. Stalin was a tyrant for Russians.

Churchill can never be good for India.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
The British contribution to the war effort was pitiful compared to that of the Americans and Soviets, who were the ones that actually won the war.

It would not have made a big difference whether or not Chamberlain was the PM. Poland and France would have still been invaded, Russia and America would eventually have both been involved.

It is impossible to have such a poll and expect an 'objective' answer. Just as Jews would call Hitler the most evil person due to their historical experiences, and Ukrainians Stalin due to theirs, Indians should also answer the question based on their own historical experiences.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Stalin was a tyrant for Russians.
Stalin is still revered by many Russians.

He is hated mostly in the former minority republics of the USSR, especially Ukraine and the Baltic states, and also in Poland.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Voted Churchill. He surpasses Hitler because Hitler had a rage against jews and deep psychological reasons to go after them.
What did we do to earn the wrath of Churchill? Where do we figure punishable even in the remotest sense. He is a cold blooded murderer of millions in the famines of India. He had a war to fight and so he thought Indians can live without Roti Chaawal :mad2:

Last edited:

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Voted Churchill. He surpasses Hitler because Hitler had a rage against jews and deep psychological reasons to go after them.
What did we do to earn the wrath of Churchill? Where do we figure punishable even in the remotest sense. He is a cold blooded murderer of millions in the famines of India. He had a war to fight and so he thought Indians can live without Roti Chaawal :mad2:
Churchill was not alone to punish us. First, blame the nature which caused the famine. Second, blame the hoarders who did earn profits at the cost of people's life. Third, blame ourselves that we were not able to help our own countrymen. In earlier famines due to the likes of Vivekanand and others we did respond very well to the famines. Its only after all our safety mechanisms have failed that we expected the British support and that is where Churchill failed us.

The British contribution to the war effort was pitiful compared to that of the Americans and Soviets, who were the ones that actually won the war.
Well, the war of Britain was the first decisive turn in WW2, which made Hitler turn attention to USSR. And no one can deny the role Churchill played in this turnaround minus the historical luck that a German mistakenly bombed London and turned the course of war as Hitler got mad and started bombing London instead of strategic targets.

Churchill can never be good for India.
No denial to this fact.

It is impossible to have such a poll and expect an 'objective' answer. Just as Jews would call Hitler the most evil person due to their historical experiences, and Ukrainians Stalin due to theirs, Indians should also answer the question based on their own historical experiences.
I am sorry if I thought we could be objective in this analysis.

balai_c

^^^ British rule is synonymous with famine, starvation and death of Indians to the tune of millions. Madhusree mukherjee's book on Churchill shows the gory details of how the Raj actively prevented intervention of powers like USA ,and even Netaji from alleviating the hunger of those poor starving Indians. I know that sacks of rice and other food grains were transported to war front in Europe. Millions of our ancestors were dying from hunger, literally. Rotten corpses were a common site those days. I cannot describe the pain of dying from hunger. Trust me , it is a million times worse than dying from bullets of a firing squad ,or hanged. There was a famous playwright, Bijon bhattacharya who wrote many plays on the theme of famine of 46. When I was studying in 12th grade, one of those plays were a prescribed course of our Bangla syllabus.

Pardon me , but like yusuf said earlier, it is kinda hard to keep a straight face and be objective when talking of guys like Churchill. At least as far as Indians are concerned, he is at par with Hitler, more or less evil personified.

trackwhack

pmaitra, I told you there was no need to go beyond the top 5. The others are just too insignificant when compared to the top 5. In fact even Kissinger does not have a vote (!) so its down to the top 4.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles