Who has the most plastic surgery?

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
:shocked:
---------
A cut above

HAVING cosmetic surgery to enhance what nature gave you (or to keep her at bay) is increasingly common. In 2010 over 3.3m procedures were done in America, more than anywhere else, according to the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. These were split roughly evenly between "non-invasive" treatments, such as botox or facial peels, and "invasive" surgery. Chin implants ("chinplants") alone rose by 71% on the previous year. But when population is accounted for, South Korea tops the list. A 2009 survey by Trend Monitor, a market-research firm, suggested that one in five women in Seoul had gone under the knife. Beauty is beheld differently in different countries, and this is reflected in the demands made on surgeons' scalpels. There are seven times more buttock operations in Brazil than the top-25 country average, and five times more vaginal rejuvenations. In Greece, penis enlargements are performed ten times more often than the average.

Source: http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/04/daily-chart-13?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/dc/acutabove

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
South Korea, lol. I always get confused trying to identify their boys from their girls.

amoy

Many "beauty salons" or "cosmetic surgery" in China flag themselves as Korean. Some tourist agencies offer "surgery tours" to South Korea.

In Chinese there's a word recently coined "Han-Liu" (Korea Current) showing how influential Korean's take on 'beauty' and 'fashion' is.

Tolaha

Many "beauty salons" or "cosmetic surgery" in China flag themselves as Korean. Some tourist agencies offer "surgery tours" to South Korea.

In Chinese there's a word recently coined "Han-Liu" (Korea Current) showing how influential Korean's take on 'beauty' and 'fashion' is.
Many beauty salons in India call themselves as Chinese though they are run by Indians! Dont know if as much as the Korean influence in China... but the Chinese influence on our "aam junta" is quite visible in sections of a few cities.

amoy

Many beauty salons in India call themselves as Chinese though they are run by Indians! Dont know if as much as the Korean influence in China... but the Chinese influence on our "aam junta" is quite visible in sections of a few cities.
:rolleyes: wow that's quite telling. I used to think "beauty" is beheld differently in India from Chinese. Does calling themselves Chinese help business ? I doubt Hindi like Chini.

But Korean pop culture is very "in" in China.

Oracle

You're talking about Bangalore, aren't you? Just walk into one of them and you easily identify that those girls are either Nepali of from the NE. I have not seen them calling themselves as Chinese. Which location are you talking about?

@ amoy - Commom Indians don't hate Chinese. You have to admit the level of trolling Chinese do here, and hence the praises in return.

Last edited:

Tolaha

You're talking about Bangalore, aren't you? Just walk into one of them and you easily identify that those girls are either Nepali of from the NE. I have not seen them calling themselves as Chinese. Which location are you talking about?
Mumbai. Haven't you seen Agneepath? :D

I used to think "beauty" is beheld differently in India from Chinese. Does calling themselves Chinese help business ? I doubt Hindi like Chini.
Calling themselves "foreign" helps.

As for "Hindi like Chini", most people wouldn't think much about other countries. If not for 1962, most people wouldnt have bothered knowing China as well.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
South Korea, lol. I always get confused trying to identify their boys from their girls.
The East Asians (most of them) are generally hairless and have delicate bone structure.

Hence the difficulty.

amoy

The East Asians (most of them) are generally hairless and have delicate bone structure.

Hence the difficulty.
That's pretty over generalized, against a broad variety among East Asians. Northerners are relatively hairy as a 'cold-adapted' feature.

Iamanidiot

That's pretty over generalized, against a broad variety among East Asians. Northerners are relatively hairy as a 'cold-adapted' feature.
Actually I think what he says is true.Add to that they have a lesser amount of sweat glands when compared to Caucasians.They don't sweat as much as other people

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I agree it is generalised.

The Northerners are I think rougher to look also.

More larger boned.

Koreans are also less delicate.

niharjhatn

Apparently cosmetic surgery is so accepted that girls get it given as a 'gift' for their 18th/21st birthdays... :shocked:

amoy, what you say seems pretty true, I've got a couple of Chinese friends in Malaysia and they are pretty infatuated by Korean dramas on television.

Interesting in that shift - previously, Japan was a huge soft power, extending cultural influence all around the world really, in the 90's especially.

I think today so many of the young generation east asian guys have adopted the strange metro hairstyles and clothing it makes some look especially effeminate (again speaking from experience from Malaysia, but I daresay it somewhat extends to China as well, plus the little I have seen of Hong Kong in stop over flights).

But then you look at guys like one of my favourite actors, Toshiro Mifune... man that guy is a badass.

amoy

Ya, Japanese pop culture once was more influential in Chinese circle than Korean, with big names like Kurosawa, Takakura, and Kurihara . Japanese sitcoms on judo / samurai and post-WW2 toil were once quite inspirational for children like me :p We heard myths at school of spartan education in Japan such as cold-water bath in winter.

Ya, effeminate clothing and hairstyle - everywhere in China of youngsters - I'm wondering why?? Is it a copy/paste from Korean and Taiwanese pop stars, many of whom seem sissy prone (no offence) ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles