What military equipment would YOU like to see in the Indian Armed Forces

pmaitra

Here is what I propose:

• Keep the INSAS platform, but do not linger with the first generation INSAS but keep introducing newer versions, such as Kalantak or Excalibur while gradually phasing out or surplussing the old ones.
  • Kick the 20 round magazine out the window and make the 30 round magazine standard for INSAS assault rifles.
  • Introduce drum magazines for the LMG.
  • Do not make the mistake of introducing full-auto capable rifles en masse. That is recipe for disaster. The average rifleman should have single shot and triple burst and nothing more and the troop support person should have the INSAS LMG with either 30 round magazine or a 75+ round drum magazine.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Here is what I propose:

• Keep the INSAS platform, but do not linger with the first generation INSAS but keep introducing newer versions, such as Kalantak or Excalibur while gradually phasing out or surplussing the old ones.
  • Kick the 20 round magazine out the window and make the 30 round magazine standard for INSAS assault rifles.
  • Do not make the mistake of introducing full-auto capable rifles en masse. That is recipe for disaster. The average rifleman should have single shot and triple burst and nothing more and the troop support person should have the INSAS LMG with either 30 round magazine or a 75+ round drum magazine.
I second that. Also

Add Picatinny rails to the existing models of the INSAS rifle.

SPIEZ

Country flag
7) QUICK REACTION 4X4 ARMORED PERSONAL CARRIER

Fitted with Anti-Tank missiles, and modified to withstand IED ( with the addition of V SHAPED HULL). Additionally can also be fitted with HMGs or other weapons system as per OpFor.

pmaitra

^^

BRDMs (above) and BTR are not known for good armour. Moreover, they have an inherent weakness in cross country performance. That is why, with BTR-T, they moved onto tracked locomotion.

I prefer the BMP-2 platform for Nag (NAMICA) better.

SPIEZ

Country flag
^^

BRDMs (above) and BTR are not known for good armour. Moreover, they have an inherent weakness in cross country performance. That is why, with BTR-T, they moved onto tracked locomotion.

I prefer the BMP-2 platform for Nag (NAMICA) better.
I was referring to a modified BRDM2, in fact just an up armored 4X4, something like the French VAB

Just to ensure the quick movements of troops along path which would be difficult for the larger tracked vehicles to go.

Although I definitely know none of these will even be considered by the MOD, this is just our way of giving the troops what we could if possible.

pmaitra

^^

You are right. Wheeled vehicles have higher mobility and higher speeds, such as, in cities and roads.

When it comes to armour, look at some of the posts by Kunal where there are some really nice domestically made vehicles if carrying troops is the requirement. However, from the looks of it, I think BRDM will offer better protection.

Check from here onwards: http://defenceforumindia.com/indian-army/5240-india-s-armoured-vehicle-thread-14.html

P.S.: BTRs and BRDMs did not do particularly well in Afghanistan and Chechnya.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
With the increasing threats of IEDs I would not suggest either BTRs or BRDMs. Russian mine protection is $#!T not fit for a modern army. The BTR-80 armour is holed like Swiss cheese...

VAB can withstand 12.7mm AP and level 4 mines. They have been hit over a dozen times in Astan and the only ones getting killed are sitting in the turret. With the addition of WASP remote turret that is eliminated.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
A part from what you guys discuss, this is in addition, Remote control weapon station, which can use our weapon, like INSAS LMG with drum mag. for anti terror operations by RR on every jeep and light truck.

for regular army operations MMG with belt feed, for Jeep and light truck, this can be added in future to network centric operations and Battle field management system, giving real time into to HQ.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

JBH22

With the increasing threats of IEDs I would not suggest either BTRs or BRDMs. Russian mine protection is $#!T not fit for a modern army. The BTR-80 armour is holed like Swiss cheese...

VAB can withstand 12.7mm AP and level 4 mines. They have been hit over a dozen times in Astan and the only ones getting killed are sitting in the turret. With the addition of WASP remote turret that is eliminated.
Biased analysis in the sense that the Russian operations in Chechnya cannot be compared to Astan where the former conflict Russians met dedicated,well organised force that used powerful or multiple shots from Rpg-7,Rpg 22 no APC in the world can withstand that.

Additionally French suffered in the Kapisa valley in Astan to where gunner as u mentioned where sitting ducks for shooter in the VAB.
The BTR-82A incorporates the lessons learned during this campaign also APCs are not expected to withstand 12.7mm rounds and its definitely not the case for the French VAB

You don't need to be an expert to see that this tin box will get knock off with a single well placed RPG round

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Last edited:

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
i would definately like to see nuclear ssn,icbm,asat weapons,bmd, modernized tu-160 blackjack in our arsenal

Last edited:

natarajan

stryker 1000 (Armored personnel carrier)
HEMTT 300 (tactical truck)
M120 mortar 750
Bradley Fighting Vehicle 500
M88 Hercules 300 (recovery vehicle)
M113 500 (Armored personnel carrier)
Protector USV 200 (unmanned surface vehicle)

Artillery :

M777 howitzer 1000
CAESAR 250
cargo aircraft :

CH-47 Chinook 100
C-27J Spartan 10

attack heli :

LCH -400
apache - 300
Eurocopter Tiger - 200

Air Defence Vehicle :

S-300V
RBS 70
AN/TWQ-1 Avenger 500 (air defense missile system)

100 % soldiers with
Insas
20 % soldiers armed with
FAMAS
SPECTRA helmet

Tanks :
arjum mark II 1000
Leopard 2 500

DURO III 500(It can be used as ambulance to carry injured army men)

Iron Dome 500 (rocket interceptor)

With these stuff in our army,china wont try for conventional war even two front war:taunt:

Will post for airforce and navy in next posts

Last edited:

jackhammer2

Country flag
Here is what I propose:

I think it would be stupid not to add auto fire as in peace times our soldiers always doing all these COIN ops and auto is a must for such jobs we can have 3burst but will be used by soldiers in war time only.

Don't you think these Drum mags are actually heavy and also disturbs the whole centre of mass of the weapon I think a better option will be to add a casket mag instead of a drum.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I think it would be stupid not to add auto fire as in peace times our soldiers always doing all these COIN ops and auto is a must for such jobs we can have 3burst but will be used by soldiers in war time only.
Peace or war your rifle stays the same, Three round burst saves ammo, the only reason IA use AKM is for M43 bullets..

Don't you think these Drum mags are actually heavy and also disturbs the whole centre of mass of the weapon I think a better option will be to add a casket mag instead of a drum.
The best way is to have a LMG which accepts both Mag and Drum, Otherwise there are LMG and GPMG in a squad..

methos

Country flag
Ok, I would like to see the IA get its hand of this one. I saw in Discovery long back. Was very impressed with this system.

Javelin is a fire-and-forget missile with lock-on before launch and automatic self-guidance. [...]
Wikipedia claims that India ordered the Javelin. Javelin is good, but it is not excellent, and Discovery channel probably tells only half of the truth. Javelin has a top attack mode and therefore it is capable of penetrating most likely all tanks. The warheads per se are not very strong. It is also a very expensive system.
Contrary to US tests done by the manufacturer, where it achieved a hit probability of 94%, it does achieve just ~50% in field. The main sight (TI) is not pre-cooled, which means that the launch unit will need 2 to 4 minutes until it is ready for firing - not ideal when you are ambushed.
OTOH Javelin is one of the very few systems of it's generation, with SPIKE-LR being it's greatest concurrent (SPIKE has better penetration and a slightly longer range, while also being a top-attack fire&forget ATGM). Possibly Tigrat-MR would have been the best choice, but it was canceled. IMO older SACLOS systems like Kornet or MILAN ADT-ER should be prefered ATM, as they offer similar (or even better) hit probability and greater range and penetration for a fraction of costs. They won't kill a tank frontally, but from the sides they can take out any existing MBT.

Exoskeleton suits for covert operations

Advanced Cyber Army

Better equiped soldier ( F-Insas )

Plasma weapons

Anti-satellite missiles

UCAV's

Defence Shields
I think you forgot energy shields and phasers...

5)ANTI TANK WEAPONS

a) rpg 29
in large numbers equipped with most available forces

b) VEHICLE PORTABLE ANTI-TANK MISSILES
should be made available for every tank and IFV in the IA.

lots more to come ....

I suppose you chose the HOT image because it illustrates the idea of a tube-launched missile good? HOT does have a rather low penetration (80 cm), no tandem warhead and is quite heavy. India has NAG, which should offer superior performance to the early HOTs at least.
The RPG-29 has become a "mythical" weapon because it was able to penetrate the armour of the Challenger 2, M1A1/2 and Merkava III/IV, but just in some regions. IMO the RPG-29 has a significant drawback: the projectile is housed inside the barrel. This limits the warhead caliber to just 105 mm. This design has only a very limited possibility to increase performance (by using new explosives and other liner materials), so I would prefer a RPG allowing different sizes of warheads, like the German PzF-3.

VAB can achieve STANAG 4569 Level 4 when fitted with German MEXAS armour (also used on Fuchs, Stryker, LAVs etc.) and additional mine protection. Without it it can be penetrated by anything larger than a 7.62 mm ball round.

Additionally French suffered in the Kapisa valley in Astan to where gunner as u mentioned where sitting ducks for shooter in the VAB.
The BTR-82A incorporates the lessons learned during this campaign also APCs are not expected to withstand 12.7mm rounds and its definitely not the case for the French VAB
[...]
You don't need to be an expert to see that this tin box will get knock off with a single well placed RPG round
Actually many of the later APCs are designed to survive HMG fire. Older ones (VAB, Fuchs, LAVs and the Stryker) can be fitted with different types of applique armour, most commonly MEXAS and AMAP from the German company IBD Deisenroth Engineering. With this they can survive HMG rounds (12.7 mm and 14.5 mm). MEXAS used on them consists of an outer steel layer, ballistic cover, Aluminium oxide ceramics, a backing and the steel hull. This forms the "thin boxes". RPGs will not knock them off (thats not the way HEAT projectiles work), but easily punch through them. Some of the latest APCs like the Boxer and the Patria AMV are protected against 30 mm APDS (frontally at least).

stryker 1000 (Armored personnel carrier)
HEMTT 300 (tactical truck)
Bradley Fighting Vehicle 500
M113 500 (Armored personnel carrier)

[...]
attack heli :

LCH -400
apache - 300
Eurocopter Tiger - 200

[...]
DURO III 500(It can be used as ambulance to carry injured army men)
The Stryker and the Bradley are not really good vehicles. The M113 is outdated and is being replaced in most armies or upgraded. Having 3 types of heavy attack helicopters is also rather funny... why three types?
The DURO III has been criticized in German forums and media. It is not very good as ambulance, at least not in Afghanistan - they proved to be to vulnerable to Taliban weaponary and not mobile enough.

____
IMO India should get a good IFV first.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Well, I already get my wish for Rafale. I would also like to see MMRT, Fennec LUH, Mistral LPD, Marlin AIP, Snecma cored Kaveri, AASM, Scalp EG, Miatri VL.. maybe A400M.

Zebra

Country flag
Well, I already get my wish for Rafale. I would also like to see MMRT, Fennec LUH, Mistral LPD, Marlin AIP, Snecma cored Kaveri, AASM, Scalp EG, Miatri VL.. maybe A400M.
Caesar , self-propelled 155mm , 52 calibre artillery .

natarajan

Instead of mentioning just say what you have in army,navy and airforce in indian armed forces lol

Lets look for indian navy

ssn :
akula II 3
rubis 6

ssbn :

arihant with k-15 4
arihant with k-4 6

submarines :

amur 9

total 28+9 scorpene =37

LHD :

Mistral-class 5

LPD :

Foudre-class -3

Frigates :

Horizon class frigate -5
La Fayette-class -5

Cruisers:

USS Cape St. George 3
Kirov class 1

littoral ships :

Freedom class 3

aircraft carrier :

70k tonne nuclear carrier with f-35c

aircrafts :
E-2 20

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Instead of mentioning just say what you have in army,navy and airforce in indian armed forces lol
There is plenty more France makes, but it isn't a fit for India. This stuff will largely be bought.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles