What military equipment would YOU like to see in the Indian Armed Forces

Discussion in 'Defence & Strategic Issues' started by Yusuf, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Zebra

Zebra Senior Member Senior Member

I am afraid, that is what our last two governments wants.
    What was the reason that the grate UPA created mess in Indian defence then....!
    Even this govt is not in any kind of hurry.
    They both use the same modus operandi, buy it from Russians or forget it.

Correct me, if I am wrong.

Watch this........ http://asian-defence-news.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/chinas-economic-and-stock-market-crash.html

........"Go for appeasement ?

Nevertheless, the risks of Chinese “aggression” in key areas will continue to rise for as long as the Chinese economy continues to sink.
    Surrounding nations would do well to better understand Chinese actions, and either beef up defenses in potential flashpoints, or indeed play for an appeasement strategy which accommodates possible aggression from China that doesn’t pose a real threat to their core territories.

China has long stated that its economic rise was a peaceful one, but with its economy no longer rising so fast, will its promise of peace also disappear?"

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  2. I_PLAY_BAD

I_PLAY_BAD Regular Member

I think we have moved on from buying only from the Russians. We have found new sellers in US, Israel, Sweden, France. There is a bigger game happening in defense procurement. When you buy weapons from a country they see you as an ally. That was the secret behind India's Russian weapons obsession in the past and additionally cost factors. It is more of diplomacy than money. Now our resources increased we are looking for diverse vendors for our various needs. My worry is corruption and inability to channel our diplomatic clout to create more joint ventures in technological innovation and defence manufacturing. It is still work in progress.

3. bengalraider

bengalraider DFI Technocrat Stars and Ambassadors

in a fast food joint next to the imperial shipyard
    134 out of 238 million Americans pay income tax, the figure in the peoples republic of China is around 8% of the population. While there are losses that we need to stem urgently. We also have a clear need to increase the population paying tax to at least a quarter of our population.

Zebra likes this.
  4. bengalraider

One change to the above
    I humbly withdraw the proposal for 16 hamina class missile boats and add 16 skjold class missile corvettes instead. Cost remains unchanged.

5. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

that's what i wrote two and a half years ago and surprisingly it is the same today ........i'll simplify it to two major categories
    A. more indigenization so we can afford greater quantity
    - this applies to good quality products such as LCA

and

B. thermonukes - we will need it not only technologically but also as a political statement , that we CAN do it and who will or can try stop us ? so politically it will be a good experiment

secondly it will also force packland into a new arms spending at a time when their papa prchina is going through financial downward path

we dont have to actually test the stuff but merely make the public declaration that they have been inducted into the forces .....should give packland the scares and give india greater political breadth in security negotiations ...( the induction announcements have to be done in a credible way )

ref
    @angeldude13 @bose @brational @blueblood @anupamsurey @ersakthivel @Blackwater @bengalraider @cobra commando @DingDong @Hari Sud @Kunal Biswas @LETHALFORCE @mhk99 @Neil @OneGrimPilgrim @pmaitra @Rowdy @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Srinivas_K @sorcerer @TejasMK3 @Yusuf @jackprince @Bangalorean @indiandefencefan @aliyah @hit&run @VIP @Razor @Blood+ @Screambowl @Sylex21 @tsunami @Zebra @sgarg @Rashna
    @laughingbuddha
    @blue marlin

Screambowl likes this.
  6. bengalraider

@roma - While I agree with your suggestion that we should spend more on strategic programs. I'd also point out that in various cases in order to build up numbers quickly we shall still need to buy various items from any manufacturer we can get.

7. Rowdy

Rowdy Co ja kurwa czytam! Senior Member

A Logical and Strategic Brain

Zebra likes this.
  8. Zebra

:hippo:

They desperately needs it.

But they are aware of it....!
    I doubt. :biggrin2:

Rowdy likes this.
  9. Screambowl

Screambowl Ghanta Senior Member? Senior Member

Or do a cold test of agni series with actual weapon grade device without the fissile material but just conventional explosive and give the headlines. :)

10. blue marlin

blue marlin Regular Member

A. the lca is a failure but an excellent learning curve. you learn the hard way, but its the best way. the indigenous 5th gen fighter would obivoulsy benefit from this failure/lesson. even the akash missile, its obsolete but a great leaning curve. our bloodhound missile is even better. and thats 1950's tech. but you're getting there and thats all that matters.

B. thermonukes. you did in-fact test a thermonuke but it failed to go of properly. developing thermonucear weapons will result in very heavy international sanctions. it will send you back to 1947. i read an interesting article, from a Pakistani who works with the military and it says both india and pakistan are able to develop h bombs but with pakistan it wont develop such weapons under moral ethics.

11. no smoking

no smoking Senior Member Senior Member

LCA--Good quality product? Don't you think it is too early to tell before this plane get "FOC"?

Of course, politically!
    But militarily it make no sense when P5 is transfer their delivery devices back to conventional weapons;
    Economically, it is even stupid.

Pakistan will laugh their ass off. There is nothing better for them that India spend more on nuke instead of tank.
    Which one they fear most? The nuclear weapons that they know India won't use proactively or those fighters and tanks that can cross the border anytime?

Don't you think they will check the number of weapons deployed? The training of those regiments armed with these weapons? Even they don't, Americans and Chinese won't tell them?

12. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Why?

The Skjold-class corvette is a surface effect craft, much like the Soviet Ekranoplan. This is something India needs to explore, and they should be made in India, and India can make them in India.

13. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

Hindustan LCA, especially compared to some of the american planes ( F35 , costing 300 million ? ) is turning out to be rather quite a success, value for money , after all !

but even without the comparison, as india first attempt and under a former slow moving government i'd say the LCA is doing just fine , thank you ! ......now of course with better governance, things will pick up even better for LCA 1 A and MCA etc

as for thermonukes , i did specify that we wouldnt want to test , didnt i ? watch them paks .....they will sweat and skew all money towards defence yet again, to catch up with india :biggrin2: ..as for your last sentence linking packland with moral ethics ????, nice sense of humour !

ref @angeldude13 @bose @brational @blueblood @anupamsurey @ersakthivel @Blackwater @bengalraider @cobra commando @DingDong @Hari Sud @Kunal Biswas @LETHALFORCE @mhk99 @Neil @OneGrimPilgrim @pmaitra @Rowdy @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Srinivas_K @sorcerer @TejasMK3 @Yusuf @jackprince @Bangalorean @indiandefencefan @aliyah @hit&run @VIP @Razor @Blood+ @Screambowl @Sylex21 @tsunami @Zebra @sgarg @Rashna
    @laughingbuddha
    @blue marlin
    post Script; :
    clarification pls , nowhere did i call F22 or 35 failure, i merely considered LCA successful compared to f35 in terms of cost value ratio ......small distinction to be made ...otherwise many thanks for your post , it is well received .

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  14. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

@roma, F-22 cannot be called a failure. It has not been inducted in large numbers, not because it is a failure, but because it is exorbitantly expensive. Still, a little less than 200 is not a bad number. F-35 on the other hand is more of a money sink and less of a success.

Screambowl likes this.
  15. charlie

charlie Senior Member Senior Member

I think one more reason would be, who is going to challenge F22 as no other country pitched a 5th generation aircraft, it's some thing like B1 bomber it was introduced 8 years ahead of it's time and F22 is introduced 15 to 20 years ahead of it's time.

16. bengalraider

Why?We could make these but as i mentioned it makes no sense to spend sparse funds developing non strategic platforms from scratch when we can just buy the tech. We can wait to develop our own ekranoplanes Until we have developed all the strategic platforms we want.
    Because these babies are a proven design now and also because having a squadron of these babies would give us a very credible surprise attack naval weapon system. The Skjold class and the Visby are probably the most stealthy surface vessels on the market right now, this could become the core of a new surprise package on Karachi. i would spread these sixteen into four groups of four operating from various bases in Gujarat . In the time of a crisis these "wolfpacks" could make it to striking distance of Karachi , launch strike packages of the NSM(these also have a land attack capability which we could use to take out KANUPP) and make it back to their home bases all in a little more than 5-6 hours.
    P.S i plan to keep the Visby squadron in the Andamans.

17. Zebra

@ roma , for F-22 cost matter, take it in this way, let me put in my words.....and I took all these figures from wiki........

They originally planned for 750 birds. (production supposed to start from 1994 onwards)
    Even before production starts they started to reduce the numbers.
    In 1990 they make it to 648.
    Again in 1994, they changed the numbers, 442 now.
    In 1997 they reduced again, 339.
    In 2003 it become 277.
    Finally they end up by 183, in 2006.

In 2006 the total program cost was $62 billion.
    They spent $34 billion on actual procurement and $28 billion in research, development and testing.

18. blueblood

blueblood Senior Member Senior Member

@roma , LCA is not that big a success as a platform but is responsible for the creation of domestic manufacturing habitat which will bear its fruits in time to come.

19. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

@roma Thanks for tagging me in.

I am not here for fancy toys all I want best of the logistics and logistical support army can get. Another would be better gear, shoes, uniforms and other sundry items. Anything that can made life easier for the solider at borders. I won't mind an i-pad for each.

I remember seeing a slogan that we will at Lasa (something). To become an invasive offensive force or whatever they call it the level of such essentials has to go many folds high.

GPS guided drop off supplies, tracked artillery, mountain ready armored vehicles I can add to the list as well.

Communication; we are doing quite well by providing dedicated satellites, in 5 years we be best in that regard for all the branches, i hope we be able make communication devices at home to receive our own signals.

20. Screambowl

Screambowl Ghanta Senior Member? Senior Member

LCA is beginning and a base system on which we will further develop much advance technology.

F22 is highly advance fighter , and not a failure in terms of capability or technical aspects. Management of the project may be called as failure because it has not been yet inducted with full force or totally has changed the ideology of USAF,