What If Multi-cal Rifle Tender Fails?

What If Multi-Cal Rifle Tender Fails ?

• Total voters

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Rifle 5.56mm Mk 1C is Excalibur ..

5.56MM MK1C is Excalibur with P-rail and 20rnd Mag, The older model is already inducted in IA ..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
A more modified variant, Perhaps some features from MICWS ..

=================>>

The Rifle 5.56mm Mk 1C is superior to INSAS 1B1 in terms of weight, reliability, compactness, and aesthetics and has a provision for mounting of accessories like Reflex sights / optical sights, etc. OFB can manufacture such rifles at the rate of 1,00,000 nos. per annum.

This information was given by Minister of State for Defence Rao Inderjit Singh in a written reply to Shri Rahul Shewale and others in Lok Sabha today.

DM/NAMPI/RAJ

I thought induction of excalibur is in its final stages. Why release a press release as if they are starting the development now ? Just asking u know...

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
I didn't know about Brig. Ray's demise. He is still shown in the member's list as 'Admin' last seen on Sept 25, 2015. Staff members may consider posting an obituary.
@Kunal Biswas @pmaitra

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I didn't know about Brig. Ray's demise. He is still shown in the member's list as 'Admin' last seen on Sept 25, 2015. Staff members may consider posting an obituary.
@Kunal Biswas @pmaitra

He remains! Obituary was posted after his demise last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) in association with Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), User & Directorate General Quality Assurance (DGQA) has undertaken development of a single barrel Rifle of 5.56 x 45 Calibre.

The salient features of Rifle are:

Mass : <4 Kg

Firing Mode : Single shot & Automatic

Magazine Capacity : 20 rounds

Range : 450m max.

Butt : Foldable.

Provision to mount international optical sights, Under Barrel Grenade Launcher (UBGL), Fore Grip etc. Following are the list of trials conducted on 5.56 mm Assault:

• Night firing carried out;

• Reliability Test, Dispersion Test & Accuracy Test have been carried out;

• User Assisted evaluation of 5.56mm Assault rifle 5.56mm Mk 1C for zeroing, accuracy & reliability.

The Rifle 5.56mm Mk 1C is superior to INSAS in terms of weight, reliability, compactness, and aesthetics and has a provision for mounting of accessories like Reflex sights / optical sights, etc. OFB can manufacture such rifles at the rate of 1,00,000 nos. per annum.

This information was given by Minister of State for Defence Rao Inderjit Singh in a written reply to Shri Rahul Shewale and others in Lok Sabha today.

DM/NAMPI/RAJ

http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=137795

EXCALIBUR = INSAS MK1C

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
A more modified variant, Perhaps some features from MICWS ..

=================>>

The Rifle 5.56mm Mk 1C is superior to INSAS 1B1 in terms of weight, reliability, compactness, and aesthetics and has a provision for mounting of accessories like Reflex sights / optical sights, etc. OFB can manufacture such rifles at the rate of 1,00,000 nos. per annum.

DM/NAMPI/RAJ

I think it's a further modified. It says it can use a for grip, probably has a rail on the bottom.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Has anyone noticed 1B1 fore-grip on Excalibur ..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
with quad rail you can change what ever you want to. add three side or four sides P rails.

You guys notice the new sniper rifle made by OFB, this one has range of 1000 meters and it has provision for silencer on it. This is first time OFB has made sniper rifle, first in India. Next version will have range of 1200 meters.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
As predicted here, Government and Army now going for Excalibur / Advance Version of 1B1 which was actually ready since 2006 ..

Last edited:

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Since the multi caliber requirement is dropped, "MCIWS", might not be multi caliber anymore, but single caliber.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Since the multi caliber requirement is dropped, "MCIWS", might not be multi caliber anymore, but single caliber.
Not necessarily, tender is dropped not GSQR(if there was one).

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Not necessarily, tender is dropped not GSQR(if there was one).

There was, the army isnt looking for a multi caliber rifle anymore, nor is there a requirement for it.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
There was, the army isnt looking for a multi caliber rifle anymore, nor is there a requirement for it.
Fundamental question..

Wouldn't mean they have to re-issue GSQR Officially. In past 2 years I am sure that none of us in this forum have heard of such a change. At least there is no such news in public domain.

Maybe this is the reason, DRDO never complete their projects on time. Changes in requirement at drop of a hat(quite literally in this case).

Can someone else confirm what @Shaitan is saying...

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Fundamental question..

Wouldn't mean they have to re-issue GSQR Officially. In past 2 years I am sure that none of us in this forum have heard of such a change. At least there is no such news in public domain.

Maybe this is the reason, DRDO never complete their projects on time. Chances in requirement at drop of a hat(quite literally in this case).

Can someone else confirm what @Shaitan is saying...

It was even mentioned by this guy on his facebook as early as DefExpo. I posted it here, cant find it anymore.

He mentioned the multi caliber assault rifles, MoD said the army doesnt want that requirement anymore.

Some of the rifles in the running may have that feature, sure, but I dont think it'll be a end all be all requirement like before.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
He mentioned MKC1 is trialing, AAR 5.56 will join soon.

To my question to the Def Min on the 28th Mar 16, on the future of ARDE's Multi Cal Aslt Rifle. He replied that army does not want the multi caliber any more. The results during trial of 5.56 Aslt Rifle are very encouraging so far.....

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
It was even mentioned by this guy on his facebook as early as DefExpo. I posted it here, cant find it anymore.

He mentioned the multi caliber assault rifles, MoD said the army doesnt want that requirement anymore.

Some of the rifles in the running may have that feature, sure, but I dont think it'll be a end all be all requirement like before.
If indeed what you say is true, that army dropped the requirement itself and there by not supporting the development itself. Then there is serious need for rethinking on how future "operational requirements" are issued and handled by IA.

I would rather hope, DRDO won't stop the R&D on multi barrel, even if they are delivering only single barrel for operational purposes. Who knows IA would ask for multi barrel again couple of years down the line.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles