What if IA is deployed in Afghanistan?

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Once the US leaves and the afghan govt is thrown ...next is pakistan or us.

and i i think pakistan has a lot of people in taliban.

plus all the money spent in Afghanistan is gone.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Lets hope the IA is not sent to Afghanistan.But if it is then who should be sent there?

I think the best decision would be to send a PARA brigade which is based in Agra. It comprises parachute regiments non sf and all other componemts in airborne form like engineers, signals, doctors.

The strength would be around 3000 troops.

Also to be sent should be around 3 company of sf troops from the premier units on rotation basis to assist in operations.

We would need a good number of BMPs to operate too and also the newly inducted Apaches...how many i dont know.

Anything less than this will not have the power to support themselves independently.

Only after fast tracking the equiping and conducting proper exercises should this be done... otherwise there are chances of us bleeding initially.

What do we gain out of it?

We will gain a lot of war experience which will be much better than Kashmir and also help us in the long run.

Secondly,RAW will get a active independent foreign base to take care of Pakistan and start its proxy war from the other side with more intensity along with the help of afghans.

Also we could support afghan army against pakistan.

Things that wont work will be.. casualties for sure which will cause national sentiment to rise.

Muslims in India will get funds to attack civilians from taliban and they will do it for sure.

All in all i think if we go we can achieve a lot of things IF we carry it out as per plan.

Please share your views on tactics,politics,stratergy etc about it.
Late to the party but my view-

Firstly as of today India does NOT have the required force structure to make a large scale pro-longed military deployment of this kind possible outside of a UN mission where they lean heavily on the UN for logistics and local assets. This is a major area that CDS is looking into as part of the theatre command creation- they want to crate a dedicated force that is used for out of area contingencies.

An ideal expeditionary force for India would be along the lines of the IBGs- fully integrated an self contained with their own armour, air, arty, C&C etc.

Obviously a secure and stable Afghanistan is in India's interests so if it has to be done it will be done on an ad-hoc basis but I fear the results. Obviously these Indian forces would become an immediate target for the Pak-backed terrorists and these guys are like nothing the Indian military has ever dealt with before. They have huge swathes of territory under their control with 100+ KG IEDs being the norm, they have the manpower to make large scale attacks possible. Kashmir is a playground compared to this.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Once the US leaves and the afghan govt is thrown ...next is pakistan or us.

and i i think pakistan has a lot of people in taliban.

plus all the money spent in Afghanistan is gone.
This is basically domino theory.

Even that one failed.

And this would be the second time when taliban would take over afghanistan.

Country flag
Late to the party but my view-

Firstly as of today India does NOT have the required force structure to make a large scale pro-longed military deployment of this kind possible outside of a UN mission where they lean heavily on the UN for logistics and local assets. This is a major area that CDS is looking into as part of the theatre command creation- they want to crate a dedicated force that is used for out of area contingencies.

An ideal expeditionary force for India would be along the lines of the IBGs- fully integrated an self contained with their own armour, air, arty, C&C etc.

Obviously a secure and stable Afghanistan is in India's interests so if it has to be done it will be done on an ad-hoc basis but I fear the results. Obviously these Indian forces would become an immediate target for the Pak-backed terrorists and these guys are like nothing the Indian military has ever dealt with before. They have huge swathes of territory under their control with 100+ KG IEDs being the norm, they have the manpower to make large scale attacks possible. Kashmir is a playground compared to this.
I don't think India should deploy military in Afghanistan unless there's a secure logistics route. May be a well protected route from Iran whenever that happens and secure the southwest from Delaram. That too under UN flag as a peacekeeping mission.

This force can be used to relive US and Nato from the drug producing areas of Helmand, and focus on the North. Having Indian forces in the area will be a nightmare situation for Pakistan as, It would provide the Baluch freedom fighters with much needed support.

However all this looks a distant dream, both logistics and equipment wise. Talibans can launch rocket attacks and overwhelm the bases with huge numbers, to manage such attacks right kind of equipment, attack helicopters, drones etc would be needed in large numbers.

Raju Seth

India will not step on Afghan soil as long as we don't hold GB. Once we reclaim GB, we might step into the Northeast of Afg i.e the PanjShir and adjoint regions in an advisory role considering our experience working over there during Massoud days.
Untill then, we'll maintain low mil footprint in Afg and keep pursuing civvie reconstruction and supporting Afghan Forces through wares, training etc. As much as people believe in our abilities, it isn't feasible for us to step on Afg soil and evade IPKF-ish casualty figures.
But I believe in one thing, the Afghans will for sure benefit a lot from our expertise in dealing with unconventional militias. Even more than what they could ever get from the NATO nibbas hangin out there(barring tech, where we're improving). Only a revived Northern Alliance with overt Indian support (SF, training, supply) could ever contain the rakshasa called Taliban. Ruskies can be brought onboard to supply arms, spares and fix their Soviet-Afg scars. History has it that only Indians have managed to keep Afghan tribal militias at bay right from Rajput, Sikh, Maratha and British Indian Army days.
sure,alot of people have said it is a bad idea,we dont have enough choppers,supply lines are messy etc etc
All points are valid given current scenario & i completely agree on them

But if you want to increase capability ,we must goto afghanistan.
Only requirment will help in creating new plans,new equipments,new strategy etc.
We are creating a lot of weapons but they are poor....reason??, not battle proven ...why???...because we rarely go to any battle. but when war comes to us,all fail ,...forcing us to import.
But think over the time ,say in course of 10years,wouldnt going to afghan will change our focus on how we see central asia,wont we be investing & making ties with countries like uzebegistan,iran,tajakistan,turkmenistan etc

Wont mountains of afghanistan may help in launch of tank program,aircraft etc which can be used there.Later we can use this capability & experience in war with china(high alti again).Remember luh & lch both came only because of kargil war.Aircraft carrier became important only after 1971.

USA has most powerful army ,the reason for that is.... they ventured war into so many regions & climate ...that to win them they created more & more tech.

I dont need to add this,presence of IA on western front of pak will put pressure on them,they will reorient themselves to counter afghanistan as well like they do for india,which will put strain on already fucked up pak economy

PAK WILL BE LOOKING AT 3 FRONT WAR!!!!...india,afghan & sea(thanks to navy).

Regarding supply routes,well now we need to free baloch,even a inch taken from pak in baloch(something like Indian occupied baloch) will turn tables forever,pak army & politics will be divided into azad kashmir & azad baloch.any sign of weakness on any front means loosing of territory.A symbolic move for pak people that bangladesh can happen again,& no matter what they claim,pak is bitch of india.

No offense but indian armed forces & defence sector is working in their comfort zone that india is never going to fight a war,a illusion that we are too powerful for our neighbours to conquer & since we arent going to any war there is no need to be on our toes(low defence budget,poor production rate,for god sake our squadrons arent complete).Many are quoting casualities of IPKF,well IPKF happened even before naxallism,in true sense junglewarfare knowledge came to india only by fighting naxalites for "YEARS",in sri lanka you sent a force which was trained to fight full scale war like WW2 or indo pak wars into gureilla warfare,try to send cobra commandos now,result will be different.

Someone said ,bunch of taliban ranover a base,camp bastion & compare it to 4-5 days took to clear pathankot attack,do you know why it took us 4-5 days to clear handful of terrorist

Remember there was a time when it was believed no terrorist in their right mind will attack a military base full of trained soldiers but after pathankot & uri,i dont think this scenario can be ruled out.An illusion that military installation can be raided by only aircraft & large armies or a large concentration of terrorist blew up by what 8-10 terrorist.

Alas,indians can live in a dream that no one can touch us ,until someone wakes up & slap us again(mumbai,sea route) or indians can remove their panties & accept new challenges.

As per US policy,it is better to take war at enemy's door than to let enemy bring it at your home,people shielding lives of soldiers that we may loose in afghanistan should also think we will loose same amount of lives if we dont challenge new war zones.

India MUST GOTO afghan!!!

Raju Seth

At one side india claims to be growing regional power,a net security provider for south asia,but when a country ask for support ,turning it down would be a huge blow to indian power pack....what are we trying to imply??...We will say we protect you but when it comes to security,we hide under blankets....what if afghan ask china for the same & they agree,does indian planners have appetite to digest the fact that chinese now fly in afghanistan??

IndiaRising

Country flag
we should avoid punching above our weight and bringing about our utter ruin.
here Indian govt isn't even willing to go full-frontal inside PoK, yet people here believe Indian govt will commit resources to fighting inside a land-locked country filled with jihadi yahoos with no logistical routes in India's favor.

also, what would be our main goal going into Afghanistan? To see democracy prosper there? LOL

Fighting Taliban?? well we are going to do that anyways on the LoC as ISI will round up all the Jihadi groups operating in the Af-Pak corridor for that if US does leave.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles