What do your Screen Name and Avatar mean?

Country flag
Lethalforce is the name I have used since I started participating on forums along with my Narashima avatar. There is a story behind this when I was a medic in Desert storm in the briefings we were told "we will complete the mission using all the lethal force available to us", and that is where I got it.

Country flag
Screen name: a small but noticeable trace of some quality that might become stronger; "a spark of interest"; "a spark of decency". (google searched for definition).:namaste:

Avatar: I dunno maybe its because i like mythology or maybe its because i find it cool.:becky:
This is Icarus in your avatar???

jatkshatriya

NAME : JatKshatriya, my name is jai and i am a Kshatriya(Kshatriyas were the warriors,one of the 4 varnas of the Hindus;of warrior descent).Now people will say it shud hv been Jai Kshatriya, right but actually i piced this name JatKshatriya frm somewhere, i liked it alot.
AVATAAR : the avataar shows a sketch of Rajput dressed in traditional Rajputi clothes holding a sword, well thats actually my own portrait, below the portrait is the traditional Rajput symbol with the saying "Glory to the Brave"

captonjohn

Country flag
Screen Name: captonjohn
Reason: During 1971 Indo-Pak war INS Vikrant a single most powerful aircraft carrier in indian navy played a major role to turn that war into our victory. INS vikrant entered in battlefield and changed the direction of war in its favor no matter how much enemies are in front of it. That INS Vikrant had the code name of "CaptainJohn".

Reason: Because he was an dominating emperor who achieved victory over half of globe which nobody could achieve at that time. He born to win, wherever he enter in battlefield, it witnessed glorious victory achieved by Napoleon. He had a quality to influence people, he determines his each action by advance. He had the habit to make a proper battle strategy for each possible situation in advance because he knew the fact that in battlefield you won't get enough time to think and he had the problem with instant decision taking power. Of course he was not a saint but he had a ability to lead the mob and influence them to do what he want. It represents my will and ego both.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
My name is AV thats short of my name original name avi , avatar i had was a dancing penguin was very cool but i lost it now have to do with this ghost , this ghost signifies i am always around in a hidden way watching you all
I used to think it is the ghost of that dancing penguin.......

My screen name is my original name.......and the picture is of my pet........

pmaitra

Thank you everyone for responding. Just as I expected, everyone had some thoughts behind their screen names and avatars. All the posts hitherto were interesting to read. Now, some details about Samuel Langhorne Clemens' noms de plume Mark Twain:

Mark Twain
Samuel Langhorne Clemens

Pen names: Twain used different pen names (pseudonyms or "noms de plume") before deciding on "Mark Twain". He signed humorous and imaginative sketches "Josh" until 1863. Additionally, he used the pen name "Thomas Jefferson Snodgrass" for a series of humorous letters.

He maintained that his primary pen name came from his years working on Mississippi riverboats, where two fathoms, a depth indicating "safe water" for the boat to float over, was measured on the sounding line. A fathom is a maritime unit of depth, equivalent to two yards (1.8 m); "twain" is an archaic term for "two". The riverboatman's cry was "mark twain" or, more fully, "by the mark twain", meaning "according to the mark [on the line], [the depth is] two [fathoms]", that is, "there are 12 feet (3.7 m) of water under the boat and it is safe to pass".

Twain claimed that his famous pen name was not entirely his invention. In Life on the Mississippi, he wrote:
Captain Isaiah Sellers was not of literary turn or capacity, but he used to jot down brief paragraphs of plain practical information about the river, and sign them "MARK TWAIN," and give them to the New Orleans Picayune. They related to the stage and condition of the river, and were accurate and valuable; ... At the time that the telegraph brought the news of his death, I was on the Pacific coast. I was a fresh new journalist, and needed a nom de guerre; so I confiscated the ancient mariner's discarded one, and have done my best to make it remain what it was in his handsâ€"a sign and symbol and warrant that whatever is found in its company may be gambled on as being the petrified truth; how I have succeeded, it would not be modest in me to say.

Twain's version of the story regarding his nom de plume is not without detractors and has been called into question by biographer George Williams III, the Territorial Enterprise newspaper and Purdue University's Paul Fatout. These sources claim that "mark twain" refers to a running bar tab that Twain would regularly incur while drinking at John Piper's saloon in Virginia City, Nevada.

Source: http://www.marktwaininstitute.org/pen-names.html

amoy

Why can't I see my Avatar in posts?

It's a bank note Y50 with Chairman Mao's portrait on it.

And yes I'm a money worshipper.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Why can't I see my Avatar in posts?

It's a bank note Y50 with Chairman Mao's portrait on it.

And yes I'm a money worshipper.

Because you've probably set it as your profile pic, and not your avatar.

P.S. Aren't we all?

Rage

DFI TEAM
Rage, I've been told I had the most notorious temper in the past, from smashing walls to kicking people with steel toed boots (worn especially for the event) during steal-time at soccer. Funnily, DFI and yes, a very special girl I once knew, helped cool me down.

No idea what my avatar is, but it looks like the cover to an album with some potentially cool discography.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Armand means 'of the army' and 2REP was my unit. My avatar represents my misplaced hope of selling this damn plane. lol

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Were you employed at Rafale, Armand ??

You mean Dassault? No... I just love the Rafale and I have a large chunk of my portfolio in Thales which provides 2/3rds its cost. It is such a beautiful and advanced piece of engineering. The French are proud of the machine, but not happy with its lack of sales.

amitkriit

Screen name: means nothing, carries my name.
Avatar: Means I am a thinking primate, smarter than a normal monkey.

pmaitra

No....why do you ask ?
I looked up and I found this: The Importance of Being Earnest

The first two paragraphs in the article are quoted below:
The Importance of being Earnest, A Trivial Comedy for Serious People is a play by Oscar Wilde. First performed on 14 February 1895 at St. James's Theatre in London, the play is a farcical comedy in which the protagonists maintain fictitious personae in order to escape burdensome obligations. Working within the social conventions of late Victorian London, the play's major themes are the triviality with which it treats institutions as serious as marriage, and the resulting satire of Victorian ways. Contemporary reviews all praised the play's humour, though some were cautious about its explicit lack of social messages, while others foresaw the modern consensus that it was the culmination of Wilde's artistic career so far. Its high farce and witty dialogue have helped make The Importance of Being Earnest Wilde's most enduringly popular play.

The successful opening night marked the climax of Wilde's career but also heralded his downfall. The Marquess of Queensberry, father of Lord Alfred Douglas, an intimate friend of Wilde, planned to present Wilde a bouquet of spoiling vegetables and disrupt the show. Wilde was tipped off and Queensberry was refused admission. Soon afterwards the feud came to a climax in court, and Wilde's new notoriety caused the play, despite its success, to be closed after just 86 performances. After imprisonment, he published the play from Paris but wrote no further comic or dramatic work. The Importance of Being Earnest has been revived many times since its premiere, and adapted for the cinema on three occasions: in The Importance of Being Earnest (1952), Dame Edith Evans reprised her celebrated interpretation of Lady Bracknell; The Importance of Being Earnest (1992) by Kurt Baker used an all-black cast; and Oliver Parker's The Importance of Being Earnest (2002) included material cut during the original stage production.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
But what does it have to do with person in my avatar ? i dont get it.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles