What do you think about the Caste System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul83

Can you explain the caste system to me, also do the different castes look different like brahmins are white and sheduled castes are black etc. or do they look similar etc. and tell me what makes sheduled castes "untouchables" etc. and how they live, does untouchable mean you are not allowed to have any contact with them like touching their hand or like that. and would roma be perceived as untouchables. some genetic study showed them to be descend of untouchables.

European Roma descended from Indian 'untouchables', genetic study shows - Telegraph

Soul83

Yes you are descendants of untouchables. Your ancestors were banished from India for creating trouble.
do untouchables create trouble and why they are called untouchable is it forbidden to touch them or like that. sounds quiete evil, worse then racism in europe

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
do untouchables create trouble and why they are called untouchable is it forbidden to touch them or like that. sounds quiete evil, worse then racism in europe
it is forbidden to touch them for a higher caste. if you do, you have to go take a shower lol. they are not at all troublemakers but stigmatized by society, which is indeed an evil. i guess your ancestors were only one/several tribes of untouchables that became infamous but other untouchables are not generally considered criminals.

Soul83

it is forbidden to touch them for a higher caste. if you do, you have to go take a shower lol. they are not at all troublemakers but stigmatized by society, which is indeed an evil. i guess your ancestors were only one/several tribes of untouchables that became infamous but other untouchables are not generally considered criminals.
yes one tribe of untouchables, likely a ancestral group like the meghawal were proposed, a untouchable caste which are weavers and live in northwest india, they speak indo-european language
Meghwal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i think untouchables shouldnt be discriminated.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
yes one tribe of untouchables, likely a ancestral group like the meghawal were proposed, a untouchable caste which are weavers and live in northwest india, they speak indo-european language
Meghwal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i think untouchables shouldnt be discriminated.
Those people are found in my state (Jammu and Kashmir). Bhagat is a surname found in Jammu.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
@Soul83

The difference between untouchables of other states and my state is that the untouchables in Jammu often are light skinned- lighter than the brahmins of other states. Here is a untouchable kid from Jammu who participated in a reality show :

Piyush Bhagat

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Can you explain the caste system to me, also do the different castes look different like brahmins are white and sheduled castes are black etc. or do they look similar etc. and tell me what makes sheduled castes "untouchables" etc. and how they live, does untouchable mean you are not allowed to have any contact with them like touching their hand or like that. and would roma be perceived as untouchables. some genetic study showed them to be descend of untouchables.

European Roma descended from Indian 'untouchables', genetic study shows - Telegraph
Caste system is/was one of the evils of Indian society which is going away slowly. Now in India we have laws against such discrimination and in cities you would not find much of these discrimination.

Coming to the point whether it has harmed India or not. Yup it has indeed done so. Caste system had limited our workorce in the ancient times by specifying the occupation of the Indian people. Previously due to this caste system a Brahmin would only have to become a scholar. A kshatriya could only become a soldier. The worst was for shudras or the untouchables. In the Vedas there is a mention of a shudra boy`s tongue being cut off after he had recited a Vedic hymn. To be said precisely this was the punishment recommended for any non Brahmin who dared to learn the Vedas. Also women were also considered as low born. That was one of the reasons for upnayana or paite(in Bengail) thread ceremony. Fortunately we have now cast out our age old caste prejudices and now look upon everyone as our brothers and sisters. Even the Indian govt does its bit by reservations and oher protections.

On the wee bit caste discrimination that is still seen today(mostly in villages. Well the truth is that these caste discrimination is actually being created by political parties. They are nurturing such hostile and nation breaking ideas to further their own cause. For eg in UP, both Mayawati and the great Netaji Mulayalam(sorry Mully lovers) have created caste tensions so as to consolidate their vote banks. What India needs asap is to get rid of these leaders and create an equal,casteless society. I think that is one of the first steps that India can take towards becoming a superpower. It needs to put its own house in order before looking outside.

Last edited:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
@Soul83 the comparison b/w racism and casteism may not be quite accurate. While I admit that both were horrible and quite evil there is a fine distinction b/w them imho. Anyway it is a good thing that both have ended and the world is now a better place to live in. As you know there are many Dalit achievers in both science and arts(sadly many of those in science have achieved much in Amreeka).

Well there was one sc student from our college( a mondal) who ended up with a job in Microsoft and afaik he has now become an US citizen. I think he would best suited to judge and compare racism and casteism in US and India. Things are really changing in India and we are now being taught to love people of all religions,caste,creed etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles