Western Wish List???

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Central Asia..Siberia..Sakhalin...these are proven oil reserves. Myanmar has huge oil and gas deposits off its coast.
I am not counting Russia or Central Asia (Russia back-door) as a "Asian" country where we are discussing US power projection. Rest of the "reserves" are not economical - which was my point.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
For all those "US-haters" and "anti-Yanks" out there, you do realize that USA is still miles ahead of any other country in terms of technology development - right? Especially in defense? You do realize that after 60 years of asinine politics (from both sides, but mostly from the US conservatives), India is finally being recognized as a trustable partner by the USA and vice versa - right? This is the opportunity where India should try to gather cutting-edge technology from the USA by tech-partnerships, licensing and outright technology buyouts, rather than feeling insecure, shivering in potential "US-imperialism" and general di*k measurement principles.
As for me, I live in the USA presently, I have lived here for years. I have lived elsewhere too (Europe, India). In all places, I have been involved in some form of science/ technology development, although strictly civilian (non-military). I can vouch from my experience, USA is still the best place for technology development and the best source of technologies.
Or you can close the doors to the best source and try to spend years and years and partnering with Russians (who have their own agenda and a 15 year backlog in technology development).
The choice is India's guys - but the choice is NOW!

Last edited:

AOE

The person who posted above me is right. Relations between the US and India have had their fair share of hiccups, but both sides actually have shared mutual interests and it's time to get over the anti-Americanism. Most of you wont know that in 1962 when China attacked India, the Kennedy administration actually started to seriously talk about coming to Indias aid if a repeat of that same border war happened, and would possibly even nuke China. Did the Soviet Union at any point make such dedication to protecting Indias sovereignty as a democracy and growing world power? I doubt it.

Of course, Kennedy was assassinated, and the Nixons/Kissingers would later sabotage relations in 1971, followed by Indias nuclear testing and leaning towards the Russians politically which prevented both India and the US developing stronger relations. All of that is in the past now, and you share a common enemy in the present; an arrogant, unreasonable, opportunistic CCP that given the chance, would lay waste to all of its rivals and democratic enemies in a second; including India. It has and will always fear the American military machine, which would end its dream of world domination/subjugation. This is the kind of friend India needs, and it wont diminish Indias role on the world stage, or prevent it from becoming a great power. In fact it will greatly enhance both. Americas 'friendship' with Pakistan is a superficial one, you can even hear that if you go onto the defense forum of Pakistan, or even see that countries actions in relation to terrorism in reality.

The alternative is you can depend on Russia; a country that aligns itself with China and North Korea against America. Russia has dropped back in development for nearly two decades, it has a fledgling and corrupt democracy, and has only served its own economic interests for over a century now. If you thought that the US might never come to your aid if a war with China breaks out tomorrow, well relying on Russia to help you is far less likely. Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

A US-Indian economic and military alliance is one of the biggest fears of China. The PRC already has its influence blocked off in the east with Taiwan, South Korea, and Japan. It is losing its grip in parts of South East Asia, and sees India as the only potential enemy in South Asia. It can't and will not attack the above countries because the US will sail air craft carriers and a whole fleet near China like it did in the mid 90s during one of Taiwans elections, and this is why China attacks India; not just because it's testing Indias reaction, but also Americas.

Have a good, long, hard think about what has been said. The diplomatic situation may not be perfect, but it does make some sense given the complexity of alignments in Asia at present. Use your head, not your pride, and know that we are all in the same boat.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Tech advance yes, Beneficial for us not very much!
Seems US is too concerned of not repeating the same thing with Chinese..

1. US denied TOT on Javelin made IA look for Spike..

2. US M777 failed in several category still we have to buy coz their is no other..

3. US weapon locating radar were purchased but and soon proved to be expensive, Which made us to make our own WLR..

4. C-17 & C-130 have no cismo also C-17 price negotiation are getting cloudy again..

5. Still there are many DRDO & ISRO labs are on blacklisted on US papers..

Positive:

1. Agreements are done for much needed LCA engine..

US don't trust India so does India don't trust US ( GOV TO GOV ), The only Reason India having some share with US is because of mutual objectives..
Both Nation are still not in that friendly level what many think..

The Main objective of INDIA from US defense Industry is to Gain Technical knowledge via TOT for its Own Defence Industry, Its obviously US denied such things on most occasions BUT India`s request are too Obvious when looking up to its newer Rival..

SHASH2K2

For all those "US-haters" and "anti-Yanks" out there, you do realize that USA is still miles ahead of any other country in terms of technology development - right? Especially in defense? You do realize that after 60 years of asinine politics (from both sides, but mostly from the US conservatives), India is finally being recognized as a trustable partner by the USA and vice versa - right? This is the opportunity where India should try to gather cutting-edge technology from the USA by tech-partnerships, licensing and outright technology buyouts, rather than feeling insecure, shivering in potential "US-imperialism" and general di*k measurement principles.
As for me, I live in the USA presently, I have lived here for years. I have lived elsewhere too (Europe, India). In all places, I have been involved in some form of science/ technology development, although strictly civilian (non-military). I can vouch from my experience, USA is still the best place for technology development and the best source of technologies.
Or you can close the doors to the best source and try to spend years and years and partnering with Russians (who have their own agenda and a 15 year backlog in technology development).
Agree completely with you . USA has invested a lot of money and manpower to maintain that lead in defence and civilian technologies. Any country at USA position will try its level best to maintain its lead. Its upto us to get the best possible technology . We should be going for USA made products if they are the Best and we will gain some technological or tactical advantage out of them. We may be friends but each country will try to protect its own intrest . What we need to care is to protect countries interests while dealing with USA and get best possible deal. Anyone expecting USA or any country to give complete TOT of any cutting edge technology is a fool.

AOE

I agree, I think it is foolish to ask the US for a constant supply of cutting edge technology especially since some of Indias relations come into question; such as getting close to Iran, Vietnam, and Russia. You can be a country that projects power and influence on the world stage and still be on good terms or an alliance with the US, just take a look at England, France, Germany, and other European countries. The US doesn't fear a rising global power in the dictionary sense, it only fears one that espouses tyrannical and anti-democratic/capitalist/western views. The vast majority of Americas enemies in the last century have been fascist, communist, colonialist, and theocratic states.

natarajan

10 b2 bombers
2 nuclear powered carriers(help)
4 nuclear powered cruisers(help)
100 f22 fighters
also i would like us to do like china violating mrtc
by providing 1000 tomhawk missiles(range min 3500km) but in indian name,like pakistan get missile paint in green color

-enough for now lol

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
According to me, India should go for setting up its own strong satellite imaging and communication system(including spy satellites,stronger live GPS) and must lay more emphasis on tactical communication which help may be taken not only from West but our partner Russia or Israel can also help us if required.

SHASH2K2

According to me, India should go for setting up its own strong satellite imaging and communication system(including spy satellites,stronger live GPS) and must lay more emphasis on tactical communication which help may be taken not only from West but our partner Russia or Israel can also help us if required.
I think we are doing good in beefing up our satellite surveillance capability .We already launched an SAR satellite built with help of Israel and are in plan to launch more in coming day. Hope Glonass become functional soon and then it wil be time to launch our own navigation system.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
I think we are doing good in beefing up our satellite surveillance capability .We already launched an SAR satellite built with help of Israel and are in plan to launch more in coming day. Hope Glonass become functional soon and then it wil be time to launch our own navigation system.
But still we are not that much capable in this field that we have nothing else to do. And also I dont hear any progress on GLONAS. God knows when it will complete.

Tactical communication still lacks in our forces.

Zebra

Country flag
Western wish list .

Hi,
1)Gotland Subs - hard to detect them and India must need some thing like this small but effective.
2)Swedish 155 mm 52 cal. Guns . No need to say any thing about this.
3)Gripen JAS 39 NG- Low operating cost , easy to maintain and operate. Effective- see first kill first aircraft .

I think it will OK for the time being.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles