Western Wish List???

Crusader53

India continues to purchase more and more Western Military Hardware by the day. What would the members like to see India purchase next and why???

debasree

Country flag
what a rubish post,dont waste urs energy what west wants from us concentrate what we getting from west.

Oracle

I would love to see US share technological expertise with India in building nuclear powered ACs. They are the best in the world and we are yet to build one, or I guess even plan for one.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
what a rubish post,dont waste urs energy what west wants from us concentrate what we getting from west.
I think that is exactly what LF meant when he started the post ...

p2prada

If Russia or our own industry cannot provide then we buy from the west. That's been the norm.

Currently Russia or DRDO cannot provide us with EMALS CATOBAR systems on Carriers, carrier capable AWACS like Hawkeye, also certain types of radars for theatre level requirements, especially weapons locating radars and let's not forget LPDs. So US, France and Israel fulfill those needs until we can build our own equivalent systems.

Other than that Russia provides us with purely strategic weapon systems like Carriers and Nuclear Submarines along with access to critical systems like GLONASS. That is set to slightly change with the MRCA dea(may), but it is not going to be particularly significant beyond that. We may only buy technology of lesser significance from the west compared to Russia or DRDO.

warriorextreme

Country flag
first of all i thought it is thread about how western countries like america want to colonise asian countries for their oil :)

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Asia countries and Oil? Apart from the middle east and a little bit of SE Asia, there are not that many economical oil reserves in Asia.

Vladimir79

Professional
India continues to purchase more and more Western Military Hardware by the day. What would the members like to see India purchase next and why???
I would like to see India blacklist every Western arms dealer. How is that?

mayfair

Asia countries and Oil? Apart from the middle east and a little bit of SE Asia, there are not that many economical oil reserves in Asia.
Central Asia..Siberia..Sakhalin...these are proven oil reserves. Myanmar has huge oil and gas deposits off its coast.

Crusader53

Do we really need threads like these?

Why not??? I am sure if I had said a Russian Wish List you would have had no problem coming up with many examples. Sorry, your bias is showing yet again.....

Crusader53

I would love to see US share technological expertise with India in building nuclear powered ACs. They are the best in the world and we are yet to build one, or I guess even plan for one.

You can bet the US and France will give India a great deal of assistance with its current Carrier Program.

Crusader53

If, you don't care to have a free and respectful debate with some members of the forum. Feel free to go to another thread............

p2prada

first of all i thought it is thread about how western countries like america want to colonise asian countries for their oil :)
Indian wishlist from the West would be a more apt title.

This one is misleading.

Oracle

You can bet the US and France will give India a great deal of assistance with its current Carrier Program.
Have India requested for any assistance yet? I guess it is being built indigenously. I also guess building a nuclear powered AC would not be that tough considering our defense industry did come up with the Arihant, with help from Russia and France. I might be wrong though.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Indian need direct and Indirect involvement of Western countries like France and other east block countries like Poland and Slovaks..

More collaboration are needed in defense sectors both private and Gov, Directly we need those hardware which are not available in our country and help in supporting Indigenous programs ( Dhruv for example )

Infantry upgrade Should be as per Western Standard but as per our environment too, Though i want my Rifle to be Indian or Russian..

Arty is already taking shape of western caliber, Tanks in IA needed to be calibrated as per NATO rounds that is 120mm Single Ammo..

US can help India via joint training / Exercise in form of Infantry, Armour, ECM warfare etc..

Presently both countries held annual Joint Exercise over India..

DCN and Russian are involve in our Naval programs for long time, US may not like to get involve..

Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
The Pentagon's $27 billion 'near term' Indian wish list

A U.S. Embassy cable titled 'Scenesetter For USD(P) Flournoy's Visit To India' sent on October 29, 2009 to the State Department under the name of Ambassador Tim Roemer presents a list of military equipment that the United States should try and sell India. Against each item, a dollar value is mentioned.

Near term sales opportunities include:

Indian Air Force

Sensor Fuzed Weapons (SFW) — LOA expected shortly for 510 SFW for the IAF. LOA had been on hold pending EUM resolution (FMS, 379M USD)*.

Harpoon Missiles — LOA for 20 air-launched Harpoons passed to the IAF who requested the paragraph containing EEUM requirements be contained in a classified annex similar to EUM text. DSCA has accommodated the change and we expect a revised LOA shortly (FMS, 74M USD).

C-130J — We expect the IAF to amend the existing FMS contract for C-130Js to add six additional aircraft in 2010 (FMS, 800M USD)*.

C-17-USAF/IA is actively working with the IAF to develop an LOR for 10 C-17s. We expect the LOA to be signed in 2010 (FMS, 4B USD)*.

F-125IN Jet Engines — Honeywell is offering the F125IN engine as an upgrade for the IAF Jaguars. This competition for 306 engines is expected to take place in 2010 (DCS, 4.3B USD).

GE-414 Engines — GE is offering to provide 148 engines for the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA). Competition in 2010 (DCS, 800M USD)*.

Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft — The Boeing F-18IN and the Lockheed F-16IN are among the six competitors to produce 126 IAF fighter aircraft. Flight trials have begun and the IAF technical evaluation is due to MOD in the summer of 2010 (FMS, 10B USD).

Heavy Lift Helicopter — The Boeing CH-47 Chinook is competing to provide the IAF 15 helicopters (DCS, 1B USD).

Attack Helicopter — The Boeing AH-64 Apache is competing for a contract for 22 helicopters (DCS/FMS, 1B USD).

Indian Navy

Network Centric Operations Prototype — Raytheon was the low bidder for this system, but Israeli competitors have requested a review of Raytheon's bid. Although Raytheon was some 20M USD below the next lowest bid, Raytheon is concerned the Indian Navy will be forced to reissue the RFP (DCS, 29M

USD).

Multi-Role Helicopter — Sikorsky (S-70B) and Lockheed (MH-60R) are competing to provide 16 helicopters for the Indian Navy. The announcement of competitors moving forward to flight trials is expected momentarily (FMS, 1B USD).

Indian Army

M-777 Light Weight 155MM Howitzer — LOA in development for 145 M-777 155MM Howitzers (FMS, 900M USD).

Javelin Anti-Tank Guided Missiles — The Indian Army is actively developing an LOR for 9,000 Javelin missiles. We demonstrated these missiles during exercise YUDH ABHYAS (FMS, 1.4B USD)*.

Patriot PAC3 — In 2008 the Indian Army sent the Office of Defense Cooperation (ODC) an RFP for a Medium Range Surface to Air Missile modeled on the Patriot. The USG did not respond and the Indian Army cancelled the RFP because they wanted the Patriot. Currently the ENDP process is ongoing for a classified briefing requested by the Indian Army. We believe an offer to sell Patriot would be well received by the Indian Army and taken as a sign that the US has made a political decision to offer India advanced military technology (FMS, 2B USD).

[NB: FMS stands for foreign military sales, a system of sale in which negotiations are handled directly between the US government and the purchasing country. Asterisked items have since been finalized or are actively in the process]

[Extract from cable 232002: secret, sent by U.S. Embassy on October 29, 2009]

IDRW

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The Pentagon's $27 billion 'near term' Indian wish list

Sensor Fuzed Weapons (SFW) — LOA expected shortly for 510 SFW for the IAF. LOA had been on hold pending EUM resolution (FMS, 379M USD)*.

GE-414 Engines — GE is offering to provide 148 engines for the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA). Competition in 2010 (DCS, 800M USD)*.

Network Centric Operations Prototype — Raytheon was the low bidder for this system, but Israeli competitors have requested a review of Raytheon's bid. Although Raytheon was some 20M USD below the next lowest bid, Raytheon is concerned the Indian Navy will be forced to reissue the RFP (DCS, 29MUSD).

M-777 Light Weight 155MM Howitzer — LOA in development for 145 M-777 155MM Howitzers (FMS, 900M USD).

Javelin Anti-Tank Guided Missiles — The Indian Army is actively developing an LOR for 9,000 Javelin missiles. We demonstrated these missiles during exercise YUDH ABHYAS (FMS, 1.4B USD)*.

[NB: FMS stands for foreign military sales, a system of sale in which negotiations are handled directly between the US government and the purchasing country. Asterisked items have since been finalized or are actively in the process]

[Extract from cable 232002: secret, sent by U.S. Embassy on October 29, 2009]

IDRW

This are important..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles