Was Lord Buddha a beef eater?

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Man is the only animal that rejects/accepts food based on arbitrary principles.
Man is the only animal that can comprehend nature, makes sense we make rules to preserve the balance.

That being said, beef ban on religious grounds is idiotic when cows are dying on te street by ingesting plastic bags and getting roadkill.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Man is the only animal that can comprehend nature, makes sense we make rules to preserve the balance.

That being said, beef ban on religious grounds is idiotic when cows are dying on te street by ingesting plastic bags and getting roadkill.
Dogmatic rules on food don't make sense, scientific do.

I don't know how can food be polluted if touched by a low caste, or considered okay if its halal ?

I asked a Sikh theologian why Sikhism has banned "Halal" meat ? He said it was culturally relevant at the time. Muslims didn't allow non-Halal meat to be sold, and you had to be a Muslim to buy Halal meat, so it was an injunction given to rise up against muslim tyranny. Today is a different time so it is okay for a Sikh to eat Halal.

DingDong

Country flag
Dogmatic rules on food don't make sense, scientific do.

I don't know how can food be polluted if touched by a low caste, or considered okay if its halal ?

I asked a Sikh theologian why Sikhism has banned "Halal" meat ? He said it was culturally relevant at the time. Muslims didn't allow non-Halal meat to be sold, and you had to be a Muslim to buy Halal meat, so it was an injunction given to rise up against muslim tyranny. Today is a different time so it is okay for a Sikh to eat Halal.
What we are witnessing in India is a battle of ego and identity. I can present one particular case when one of the girls in one of my co-worker's family ran away with a Muslim guy to marry him. Feeding beef was part of the ritual of her conversion to Islam. The boy and his family received monetary gifts from the community for this great achievement (Love Jihad).

Muslims associate beef eating with their religious identity and in more than one occasion it is used as a tool to mock and annoy Hindus. Out of all the major religions Hinduism is the least dogmatic, but when certain communities and people start associating beef eating with Human Rights, Minority Rights, Secularism etc etc the Hindu Right is bound to react.

This is a lot like the debate which started recently about whether "Tajmahal is a Temple or a Mosque".

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
What we are witnessing in India is a battle of ego and identity. I can present one particular case when one of the girls in one of my co-worker's family ran away with a Muslim guy to marry him. Feeding beef was part of the ritual of her conversion to Islam. The boy and his family received monetary gifts from the community for this great achievement (Love Jihad).

Muslims associate beef eating with their religious identity and in more than one occasion it is used as a tool to mock and annoy Hindus. Out of all the major religions Hinduism is the least dogmatic, but when certain communities and people start associating beef eating with Human Rights, Minority Rights, Secularism etc etc the Hindu Right is bound to react.

This is a lot like the debate which started recently about whether "Tajmahal is a Temple or a Mosque".
And she still stayed with the guy or was she already secular (i mean beef eater)?

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
So, tomorrow if someone wants to eat human meat, then all the seculars will support them?

What a way to show themselves as seculars.....

When MUSLIMS eat beef, why don't they eat pork? What is the good that a cow did and what is the sin committed by a pig?

This it self shows that if a muslim is hurt it is communal and if a hindu is hurt then it is secularism....... This is what even gandhi propagated, saying if a muslim kills a hindu or a sikh, they have to accept their death in the hands of a muslim and should not kill muslims....

I see the same thing being repeated. This shows that the sickulars are trying to end SANATHANA DHARMA and bring the so called barbaric SHARIA and convert everyone to ISLAM......

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Buddha had eaten beef ??

May be... Where he was born and brought up was not a flourishing and rich agrarian region and food might have been supplemented by animal meat as necessity.

But he never killed cows and did preach non violence.

Buddhist in India, Nepal, Sikkim and Bhutan even today do not slaughter cows themselves but do eat beef if the cow is dead or they themselves have not killed it. The sin of cow slaughter goes to someone else and not the eater of the beef.

That is the hypocrisy that has been built around animal slaughter by Buddhists .. they would not kill but eat.

However, Muslims slaughter the animals in the name of Allah by reading the Kalama and doing halal in the name of their God and religion. That is akin to many staunch Hindus offering their cooked meals to God before they themselves eat it. Where Islam originated, animal meat was the major source of the food. Halal is a method of collecting blood and then utilising it as part of food. In Jhataka major part of the blood will be spilled and lost. Where animals and their meat is the main diet every part of it must be used. For example Salami in the west..are example of it. Many tribal cook and eat up the blood, the skin, hoops, horns and heads.

The luxury of vegetarianism can only be sustained in rich agrarian and fertile plains of India and not in the deserts of Arab or Persia, in Nepal, Bhutan, Sikkim or Tibet. However, non vegetarianism in rich fertile India is a matter of cultural choices /influences, western and Islamic influences and economic status.

Historically, slaughter houses came up in India as Commercial ventures to meet the requirements of the British troops for whom the staple diet was beef. Since Hindus would not run those the Muslims gladly undertook such business. It is another matter that prominent Hindus as Kapil Sibal allegedly (as came in the press) run slaughter house for export in todays India. and make fast buck.

Is any one aware of Muslims invaders establishing cow slaughter houses to meet their requirements.

On economic considerations, India has emerged as the largest beef exporting country.

So why defame the poor Buddha ?? How could he prevent his followers not eating beef when they were initially "Srawans" surviving on begging from all including beef eaters and large number of his followers were beef eaters?

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

Truckload of Bull Shit! Who said beef eating is associated with Muslim Identity? In my community beef is not eaten and actually called poor mans meat and considered "dirty". We dont eat beef at home. Its mostly chicken or goat meat.

Count the number of muslims who eat beef and other communities who eat beef. Numbers will surprise you.

DingDong

Country flag
Truckload of Bull Shit! Who said beef eating is associated with Muslim Identity? In my community beef is not eaten and actually called poor mans meat and considered "dirty". We dont eat beef at home. Its mostly chicken or goat meat.

Count the number of muslims who eat beef and other communities who eat beef. Numbers will surprise you.
Why not visit "say" Delhi's Tughlakabad area for starters? Looking curious ask the locals what "Bade ki Biryani" means while pointing at the banner of one of those shops. If that doesn't feel like an adventure, try searching for "Bade ki Biryani" outside one of those special clusters.

Not sure about the place you come from, but in my personal experience, beef is literally a part of the Muslim identity in parts I belong to. Beef eating is associated with both "assertion of unique identity" and "mocking".

I have absolutely no issue with beef eating or beef eaters, I am just trying to explain from personal experience why it has become such an emotive issue. Oh BTW, the story of elopement and conversion and beef eating I told is true, it happened in a certain place of Nashik (Maharashtra). The family was showered with goodies and money for the feat.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Why not visit "say" Delhi's Tughlakabad area for starters? Looking curious ask the locals what "Bade ki Biryani" means while pointing at the banner of one of those shops. If that doesn't feel like an adventure, try searching for "Bade ki Biryani" outside one of those special clusters.

Not sure about the place you come from, but in my personal experience, beef is literally a part of the Muslim identity in parts I belong to. Beef eating is associated with both "assertion of unique identity" and "mocking".

I have absolutely no issue with beef eating or beef eaters, I am just trying to explain from personal experience why it has become such an emotive issue. Oh BTW, the story of elopement and conversion and beef eating I told is true, it happened in a certain place of Nashik (Maharashtra). The family was showered with goodies and money for the feat.
Eating beef is not a muslim identity.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Eating beef is not a muslim identity.
I know many Hindus who eat beef, surprisingly many of them are staunch Hindutvadis too.

Even if the OP's story is partially true, bahut mirch masala added to make it beefier :rofl:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

True, cow slaughter and eating beef was never a question of Muslim identity in India . Ruler from Babur to Auranjeb banned cow slaghter in India.

However, after the British came they instigated Muslims to insist on beef eating as a matter of religious right. Over the period, some Muslims do take it as a matter of their religious right to eat beef. Engineered riots on Cow slaughter have been common feature of the past.

CHAPTER I - INTRODUCTION

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I know many Hindus who eat beef, surprisingly many of them are staunch Hindutvadis too.

Even if the OP's story is partially true, bahut mirch masala added to make it beefier :rofl:
Islam came from Arabia and in those places there are no cows. Goats, sheep and then camels is what was available there. How did cow become muslim identity? People write anything.

Vikramjeet

Buddha banned ten animals whose meat was not to be eaten so when some clueless posters are hallucinating about 'Islam being dogmatic but Buddhism liberal on diet' it is plain nonsense. If you are a Muslim, you can eat horse, if you are a Buddhist you can not. Both are dogmatic. Cows were not inviolable as per Siddharth Gautam. However, religions evolve, later day Mahayan Buddhism gained ground and Mahayan Buddhism took a very firm stand against meat eating in general and beef in particular so much so that a plate once used for meat can not be used by a Mahayan Buddhist. Japan banned cow slaughter from 600s to 1800s due to this only.

Primitive Vedic Indians also ate beef in ritualised contexts but in later day that is around 200 BCs, beef started becoming taboo and by time of Harsha , beef eaters were treated as untouchables a thing that continued till very recently.

Vikramjeet

True, cow slaughter and eating beef was never a question of Muslim identity in India . Ruler from Babur to Auranjeb banned cow slaghter in India.

However, after the British came they instigated Muslims to insist on beef eating as a matter of religious right. Over the period, some Muslims do take it as a matter of their religious right to eat beef. Engineered riots on Cow slaughter have been common feature of the past.

CHAPTER I - INTRODUCTION

Even a diehard Islamic apologist can not dare say this. So Aurangzeb who after demolishing temples used to kill cows at same spot so that Hindus could not rebuild temple at same spot now becomes 'cow protector'?

Vikramjeet

Cows being immune from killing was certainly strongest point in 'Hindu identity'. If there was one thing which united all Shaivas, Vaishnavas, Shaktas, ritualists, it was idea of cows being sacred. Hindus hated Muslims mostly for this only.

Vikramjeet

Buddha banned meats of horses, snakes, dogs etc. completely and this extract shows Buddhist approach to issue

"The Sutta-nipdta says: "as a mother will risk her life to
protect her only child, so one should develop in one's mind a
boundless love for all living beings, for the whole world,
above, beneath and on all sides, with infinite loving-kindness"
(Sn 143-152). Here Buddhism preaches respect not
only for human beings, but for all living creatures. With this
principle in mind, how can one eat meat? Why did the Vinaya
rules not make vegetarianism compulsory?
It is true that Buddhist monasticism laid stress onuniversal
love. Monks were not allowed to kill animals (Pacittiya rule 61,
Vin IV124, nuns' Pacittiya 142), or to use water in which small
creatures were living (Pacittiya rule 62, nuns' Pacittiya 143).
They had to expel any novice who killed animals (Vin 185). In
several sermons, the Buddha spoke against fishermen and
fishmongers (A III 300; S IV 308; UD 51-56), and against
butchers (A V 288; M I 39, 387, II 203; S II 254-256)."
220). One who mistreats animals is not an Ariya, a "noble" (Dhp 270), whereas
one who has compassion for all living beings deserves to be
called an Ariya.

Why then was there no total ban on eating
meat for Buddhist renouncers?
The reason was the principle that monks and nuns had to
obtain their food through begging or being invited to eat in
lay households. They were not to ask anything of their donors,
or to express their preferences. Thus they had to accept
what was given to them, and could not influence what kinds
of food they received.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Even a diehard Islamic apologist can not dare say this. So Aurangzeb who after demolishing temples used to kill cows at same spot so that Hindus could not rebuild temple at same spot now becomes 'cow protector'?
Sir I have quoted a well reputed source ... that is all about it.

Mr Dharampal the founder of the cow save movement and spent his life for that cause also says that.

OK, May I ask you why Hindus sell their cows when she is old and infirm? Does one sell his / her mother when she is old and non fertiliser ?

What a plight of that "mother" in the streets of the cities and the towns ? Hindus just abandon her when she no longer delivers milk to be sold in the market ? or just to eat paper and plastic or etc..

Do Muslims in India breed cows to be slaughtered and then sold in Arab markets...

Hypocrisy of highest order....

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Buddha banned meats of horses, snakes, dogs etc. completely and this extract shows Buddhist approach to issue

"The Sutta-nipdta says: "as a mother will risk her life to
protect her only child, so one should develop in one's mind a
boundless love for all living beings, for the whole world,
above, beneath and on all sides, with infinite loving-kindness"
(Sn 143-152). Here Buddhism preaches respect not
only for human beings, but for all living creatures. With this
principle in mind, how can one eat meat? Why did the Vinaya
rules not make vegetarianism compulsory?
It is true that Buddhist monasticism laid stress onuniversal
love. Monks were not allowed to kill animals (Pacittiya rule 61,
Vin IV124, nuns' Pacittiya 142), or to use water in which small
creatures were living (Pacittiya rule 62, nuns' Pacittiya 143).
They had to expel any novice who killed animals (Vin 185). In
several sermons, the Buddha spoke against fishermen and
fishmongers (A III 300; S IV 308; UD 51-56), and against
butchers (A V 288; M I 39, 387, II 203; S II 254-256)."
220). One who mistreats animals is not an Ariya, a "noble" (Dhp 270), whereas
one who has compassion for all living beings deserves to be
called an Ariya.

Why then was there no total ban on eating
meat for Buddhist renouncers?
The reason was the principle that monks and nuns had to
obtain their food through begging or being invited to eat in
lay households. They were not to ask anything of their donors,
or to express their preferences. Thus they had to accept
what was given to them, and could not influence what kinds
of food they received.
All said and done ... but Budhist all around the globe including in India do eat all sorts of meat including beef... so it may be "sutta" or "pittakka" is immaterial... all exotic sea food is presented by Thai Buddhists sold in their exotic and open markets to be relished and devoured..

Matter is a matter of importance for following Madhya marga - not in discarding it but in consuming it..

Simple_Guy

On their arrival at Pava, the Buddha and His disciples were invited by the son of the village goldsmith, whose name was Cunda, to a meal called Sukaramaddava or boar's delight. Some scholars believe it was a special delicious dish of mushrooms with that name, while others believe it to be a dish of wild boar's flesh.
Shukar is Sanskrit for pig, and from that we get the Hindi word suar. So it can be said that Buddha ate pork, but cows were protected from ancient times so no beef.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I have lived in places far colder than your State. I landed in Canada at -28 degree celsius temperature. Yes fat is needed in cold climate. However butter and vegetable oil can be used for fat. Meat is NOT necessary.

What about altitudes and low pressures? Sikkim isn't all about Gangtok my friend. There are much much harsher temperatures just north of Gangtok. Let's just say Nathu La is probably the most hospitable pass in winters in a region with far more hostile climate just a few Kms around that place. :)

Yes Canada is colder than our main towns but when you add the altitude, thin air to the mix, it is a game changer.

We also use Yak milk, yak butter and cheese to keep ourselves warm.

It is necessary in a place which is not arable beyond a point. You have to live in the Himalayas to talk about it, friend.

Much different from Canada, Europe or Russia.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles