Was Lord Buddha a beef eater?

amoy

It is enlightening to debate which diet is better for health, veg or meat, high protein or low"¦ etc. etc.

But put eating meat as "uncivilized" or veggie as superior is simply unfounded.

~Tapa talks: Orange is the new black.~

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
It is enlightening to debate which diet is better for health, veg or meat, high protein or low"¦ etc. etc.

But put eating meat as "uncivilized" or veggie as superior is simply unfounded.

This coming from a hardcore meat nation(biggest Pork eating nation) is not surprising where anything which moves is eaten.

Strangulating a terrified helpless animal, tearing up his legs, pulling out his intestines and internal organs might be a considered "civilized" thing in 1st world China but not for everyone. :dude:

amoy

This coming from a hardcore meat nation(biggest Pork eating nation) is not surprising where anything which moves is eaten.

Strangulating a terrified helpless animal, tearing up his legs, pulling out his intestines and internal organs might be a considered "civilized" thing in 1st world China but not for everyone. :dude:
My respect for your diet is as much as yours for helpless animals.

To each his own. Don't make a fuss.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
My respect for your diet is as much as yours for helpless animals.

To each his own. Don't make a fuss.

There are enough stories of eating human babies in China so don't discuss further whether its helpless animals or humans.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
btw whats this Buddha and not Buddh? Buddha sounds like Old Man.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
One thing I do not like with Islam is that is too intrusive even on diet. I say let people eat what they want to eat from the plants and animals here on earth (made by God?). So kudos to Buddha for not being narrow minded on diet.

DingDong

Country flag
Don't give me ideas... ;-)

Anyway I found this Lund University study:
Success of us Humans lies in our flexibility and extremely high stamina compared to most mammals (dogs also have similar characteristics, no wonder they became man's best friend). Talking about stamina, although chitah can sprint at 100 kmph, it can sustain it's speed for only a few meters and for few seconds, cheetahs have a succes rate of 50% in their hunts. Packs of dogs can stalk and chase their preys for miles and for hours/days which results in success rate of more than 80% and that is how they became our hunting companions. Lions have a success rate of meagre 30%.

Meat eaters cannot form large social groups because they require large areas for hunt (take top carnivours including lions for example). These small groups generally do not interact positively with one anothers and remain in conflict. In fact the carnivorous neanderthals (yep, neanderthals were true carnivours) lived in small groups, which became a great impediment in their success. Early Neanderthal weapons and tools were quite similar to those used by us humans but when era of inventions (wheel, fire, arrow, spears) dawned, the knowledge spread much faster in social Homo Sapience groups compared to the Neanderthals. Plus the smaller neanderthal groups were at great disadvantage in conflicts with the Humans who moved in numbers.

In short, carnivorous Neanderthals were at great disadvantage compared to us Humans who had almost everything on their menu. But being primarily vegetarian allowed us to form large social groups and moderated our behaviour.

pmaitra

And now those "Hunters" are going towards veggi while we the so called "ancient civilization" going towards more and more meat ie. back to past like our brute uncivilized ancestors cutting and tearing up animals and eating it.

We are such picchlaggo of others (read Whites) and follow anything which they do thinking they are better in everything. :dude:

Even having such large % of arable land(60% I guess) we are still running after meat stuff for all the wrong reasons.
As tribes learnt to cultivate, there was more food security, less chances of mass starvation, less pressure to go out and hunt wild animals, and these people became sedentary, had more time for arts and culture, and they built civilizations. Any wonder most of the ancient civilizations were on river valleys, like Indus, Nile, Tigris-Euphrates? :eyebrows:

pmaitra

btw whats this Buddha and not Buddh? Buddha sounds like Old Man.
Depends upon whether you use the halant, and also, the 26 characters of the Roman alphabet is not sufficient to represent a Sanskrit or Prakrit word.

sgarg

I would say there are very few places where diet would depend primarily on meat.

For example Antartica or very cold places where veggies are not grown easily or too costly to be imported.Even herbivore animals can live on vegetation so energy level is not the main constraint.If you notice then the biggest and most strongest animals on planet(Elephant/Rhino/Hippo/Giraffe/Buffalo/Gorilla etc and even biggest animals on earth ie. the Sauropods of Jurassic era) live on veg stuff.

Except that I guess it's not difficult to live on veg stuff. Western countries are way ahead in farming and plantation and can easily beat us in producing surplus.
Why live in very cold places?? There is no need. Humans tend to live in places where farming is possible. The so called non-vegetarians also eat mostly vegetarian food.

We friends used to live in one apartment in Delhi where 2 were vegetarians and 2 were non-vegetarians. The non-vegetarian ate meat a few times a months - like 4-5 times. Does anybody think 4-5 non-veg meals a month will make any difference to nutrition??

Meat is very expensive compared to vege foods. It is eaten for prestige rather than energy content.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
The channel was Headlines Today and our beloved RAJDEEP SARDESAI was the anchor....

This was NEWS TODAY AT NINE debate.......

You have answered your own question.

Rajdeep and his ilk usually bring back scratchers like some stupid intellectuals to brainwash people into believing crap.

No. Siddhartha Gautama nor any other Buddha EVER ate meat after attainment of enlightenment.

Buddha means enlightened one. This includes the thousands of gurus, rishis, munis, monks etc whatever you call them who had attained the path of universal wisdom through finding the divine in everything Nature gave, including within oneself.

Compassion is the cornerstone of this enlightenment and after that, he didn't eat any beef.

But one thing is for sure; third class losers like Sardesai definitely eat it.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Why live in very cold places?? There is no need. Humans tend to live in places where farming is possible. The so called non-vegetarians also eat mostly vegetarian food.

We friends used to live in one apartment in Delhi where 2 were vegetarians and 2 were non-vegetarians. The non-vegetarian ate meat a few times a months - like 4-5 times. Does anybody think 4-5 non-veg meals a month will make any difference to nutrition??

Meat is very expensive compared to vege foods. It is eaten for prestige rather than energy content.

Try living in northern part of my state. If you are from the plains, you'd freeze to death in winter. Here eating Yak meat is quite common as it is a source of fat, warmth and energy. We consume vegetables but we also eat non-veg. Though not like Europeans who just eat and breathe red meat.

sgarg

Try living in northern part of my state. If you are from the plains, you'd freeze to death in winter. Here eating Yak meat is quite common as it is a source of fat, warmth and energy. We consume vegetables but we also eat non-veg. Though not like Europeans who just eat and breathe red meat.
I have lived in places far colder than your State. I landed in Canada at -28 degree celsius temperature. Yes fat is needed in cold climate. However butter and vegetable oil can be used for fat. Meat is NOT necessary.

HeinzGud

Country flag

This is in India I think. People who live in colder areas eat more meat per meal. The type of food one eats depend on the locality of that person.

HeinzGud

Country flag
I assume you are also a Buddhist. How do your people justify eating meat (Living in the cold and harsh mountains rather than the plains), according to Buddhism of course.

DingDong

Country flag
This is in India I think. People who live in colder areas eat more meat per meal. The type of food one eats depend on the locality of that person.
I partially disagree. Most of the North Western states experience mild-to-cold temperatures for 3-6 months in a year. But in general these states consume much less quantity of red meat compared to several Southern states which have tropical climate.

Take Himachal Pradesh vs Goa or Uttarakhand vs Kerala for example.

I believe in India it is more about history and culture than weather.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
One thing I do not like with Islam is that is too intrusive even on diet. I say let people eat what they want to eat from the plants and animals here on earth (made by God?). So kudos to Buddha for not being narrow minded on diet.
Man is the only animal that rejects/accepts food based on arbitrary principles.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles