War Animals.

mki

Hi all.

Here I like to ask about the use of animals in our defense armed forces so far I haven't heard about it except couple of Labradors in Siachine ... certain animals are smart enough that were used and can be used even in today's modern warfare...

Some are:

combat dogs.. most likely German shepherd.

as we all know they can be used for search and rescue, but more then this the can be used for scouting and sentry duty and particularly modern day anti-terrorism and urban warfare.....

Monkeys: monkeys can be used in particular eastern theater, and in jungle warfare, as in thick jungle drone have hard time to track.

Dolphins: dolphin can be use for scouting where machinery can not be reached in peace time, like costal and near costal area of pakistan ( paki water).

here are some links...

War Dog - German Shepherd

Military dolphin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
War pig - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the first century BC, Lucretius[1] mused that early humans may have attempted to launch wild beasts, such as lions or "savage boars," against the enemy, but with catastrophic results. War pigs are pigs reported to have been used in ancient warfare as a countermeasure against war elephants. According to legend recounted in the "Alexander Romance" by Pseudo-Callisthenes,[2] Alexander the Great learned about this "secret weapon" against war elephants from Porus in India.[3]

Pliny the Elder reported that "elephants are scared by the smallest squeal of the hog".[4] Aelian[5] confirmed that elephants were frightened by squealing pigs (and rams with horns), and reported that the Romans exploited squealing pigs (and rams) to repel the war elephants of Pyrrhus in 275 BC. Procopius, in History of the Wars,[6] records that the defenders of Edessa suspended a squealing pig from the walls to frighten away Khosrau's single siege elephant in the sixth century AD.

Historical accounts of incendiary pigs or flaming pigs were recorded by the military writer Polyaenus[7] and by Aelian.[8] Both writers reported that Antigonus II Gonatas' siege of Megara in 266 BC was broken when the Megarians doused some pigs with combustible pitch or resin, set them alight, and drove them towards the enemy's massed war elephants. The elephants bolted in terror from the flaming, squealing pigs, often killing great numbers of their own soldiers.

pmaitra

Good thread!

I will add pigeons from my side.

Not very relevant today, but they were excellent postmen - err - postbirds!

bhramos

Country flag

The Animals' War is currently on show at the at Imperial War Museum North. Here a German messenger dog leaps a trench on the Western Front in 1916.

Elephants were used by the Fleet Air Arm in India during World War II. They were ideally suited to manoeuvring large objects in the Far East where there were few good roads.

A sergeant of the Royal Army Veterinary Corps bandages the wounded ear of Jasper, a mine dog, 1944.

hitesh

I'll file a complain to PETA for Cruelty against animals :sad: .This is our war don't involve poor animals into this :rolleyes:

Last edited:

pmaitra

Do these count?

Soviet Space Dogs - not exactly war dogs, but risked a lot indeed!

Returned alive, and celebrated.

Laika, didn't survive.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I'll file a complain to PETA for Cruelty against animals :sad: .This is our war don't involve poor animals into this :rolleyes:
1. Most probably they got in some arty or air attack..

2. That is not related to War..

3. Some other place again nothing to do with Military..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
All in a day's work, huh? Somewhere North of Zojila Pass.

They love drums and drums of Army RUM..

Without mules over these places daily logistics for troops is almost zero..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles