Volkswagen's improbable 75-year run

Son of Govinda

Bottom Line - Volkswagen's improbable 75-year run

Few manufacturers have had more humble origins or had less of a chance of surviving. Yet, as Volkswagen celebrates its 75th anniversary, the German maker now has a solid shot at dominating the automotive world.

While it is no longer a one-model company, Volkswagen AG has become an industry powerhouse covering every segment of the market, from such high-mileage econoboxes as the VW Up! to playthings for the ultra-rich with models like the Lamborghini Aventador and Bentley Mulsanne.

Such a range would have been hard to imagine when the company was founded by the legendary Ferdinand Porsche in May 1937. Better known for his high-performance sports cars, Porsche was charged by Adolf Hitler to develop a small, affordable car for the German masses. It was to be known as the Volkswagen, or People's Car. It wasn't until several decades later that the original model came to be known as the Beetle.

The new company was headquartered in Wolfsburg, an old castle town an hour from Berlin, but the assembly line barely got into operation producing the 990 Reichsmark coupe before production was shifted to support the Nazi war machine. And there the story might have ended had it not been for British Army Maj. Ivan Hirst.

He was assigned to the devastated town shortly after the war ended and given the task of trying to put the VW plant back to work. Buried under the rubble Hirst found a surviving Beetle, painted it green and convinced British occupation forces to place an order for 20,000. Within just a few years, demand was booming. And desperate for foreign currency, the newly privatized Volkswagen started shipping some of the little cars abroad.

The first to reach the U.S. arrived in 1949. It was a sort of anti-car, anything but the sort of big, heavy – and gas-guzzling – models that American buyers were shopping for in ever increasing numbers. Yet the Beetle resonated with a small community and by the '60s it became a symbol of the American counter-culture.

Soon, U.S. sales were nudging a half-million annually. But the German maker was about to face some new competition from Japan and, unable to match the mileage and quality of makers like Toyota and Honda, and unwilling to design products specifically for the States, sales steadily dwindled even as the VW line-up expanded. By the early 1990s, Volkswagen seriously considered abandoning the U.S. market.

It decided to stick it out but shifted attention to other markets, including China where it is today locked into a bitter battle for dominance with General Motors. It also went on a buying spree, adding new brands like Spanish Seat and Czech Skoda, as well as Italy's Lamborghini and Britain's Bentley.

Collectively, those and Volkswagen AG's other brands generated a hefty 8.39 million sales in 2011, making the company the world's second-largest automaker, behind only General Motors but ahead of the previous year's leader Toyota, which was hurt by Japan's devastating earthquake and tsunami. While Toyota has a good chance of regaining its lead in 2012, Volkswagen officials have declared a goal of becoming the automotive world's king-of-the-hill before the end of the decade. And their soaring profits should provide the additional product needed to get there.

Meanwhile, the German maker has shifted course in the U.S. After long ignoring the market and having closed its Westmoreland, Pa., plant more than two decades ago, Volkswagen last year opened a new plant in Chattanooga, Tenn., to build a version of the midsize Passat sedan designed specifically for the U.S. The payoff came quickly, with booming demand suggesting that VW just might meet a goal of tripling U.S. volume – including the Audi brand – to 800,000 annually.

Today, the maker has one of the broadest line-ups in the automotive world. And that includes what is only the third-generation Beetle. The little coupe will never again match the demand of decades past, company officials admit, but it is an iconic symbol of VW's unlikely success and ability to rise from the ashes.

Blackwater

VW are not known for there reliability and toughness.this is honda of Europe.

VW owns Skoda, Seat, Audi, Porche, Lamborghini and Britain's Bentley.
...am i missing something???

They all bloody share same engines,gearbox and spare parts

sob

Mod
Country flag
You missed Bugatti, Ducati, Scania and MAN.

pmaitra

Perhaps in Europe VW are what you said they are, but please don't put Honda is the same category. I would swear by a Honda. Many others would.

Coming to VW, they are not a luxury or performance brand, but unlike BMW, they still hold together after two years.

I have a friend who is a tower, and has been in this business for the last several years. He tells me that he has never towed a Mercedes, but the brand he has towed the most is BMW.

BTW, VW diesels are smooth as condensed milk! Love 'em.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
So Hitler did leave a likable legacy?

Like it or not, the Beetle was a very reliable car.

Last edited:

pmaitra

So Hitler did leave a likable legacy?

Like it or not, the Beetle was a very reliable car.
Indeed.

Also, no coolant headaches. Air cooled, simple engine, low maintenance, and pretty robust, is maintained properly.

Well, not quite the new ones. :lol:

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Worldwide Ford is known for its toughness and reliability!!

The drive and ride quality is unmatched.

Btw, congrats VW!

Blackwater

Perhaps in Europe VW are what you said they are, but please don't put Honda is the same category. I would swear by a Honda. Many others would.

Coming to VW, they are not a luxury or performance brand, but unlike BMW, they still hold together after two years.

I have a friend who is a tower, and has been in this business for the last several years. He tells me that he has never towed a Mercedes, but the brand he has towed the most is BMW.

BTW, VW diesels are smooth as condensed milk! Love 'em.

read the redsssssss:frusty::frusty::frusty:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles