Vladimir Putin's visit to India - 2014

Otm Shank2

I think I have not dehumanized Indians. I think it is the other way round, I am being constantly accused of "evil west", NATO, EU colonialistic etc. I am constantly blamed for being nazi symphatizer, US puppet, NATO vassal, Russo phobic, Finns are called drunks, women beating is common, Finland is called "insignificant", I am supposed to support Russian aggression of Ukraine, or I am called propagandist.

Now I give credit to Putin for being so popular in India and even that is bad?
Calling you names is wrong. I respect honest debate. You did that when you first joined. You mentioned Christianity as a pillar of success of europe. meet resentment with Christian love like dostoevsky wrote about. ;-)

A good friend irl of mino Timo is 75 % finnish descent and german/swedish. I know a little about Finnish sentiment of course no where close to understanding your people because you really are a one of a kind culture. Everything from cuisine to your geopolitical situation to ethnic make up is peerless.
I know The winter war was one of the greatest struggles for freedom in modern history and Finlands love for germans is not for their beliefs but prgmatic help. scandanavians didnt colonialise india you should remind them but you constantly evoke being european, even in north America european is synonymous with colonialism. As I said meet the ignorance of finns with good faith and facts... And speaking down/ being passive aggressive when stating things isnt good faith

Finland AND India are BOTH seen as insignificant to north america and western europe/English sphere. its not wrong both countries are battlegrounds for western and russian interestts so neither has to fight them at home. dont take it personally Vietnam, Ethiopia, poland, spain etc didnt...

DingDong

Country flag

I hope you show him how open and working your democratic system is. Maybe also show how different religions and ethnic groups live side by side peacefully. Tell him that it is what also Russians European neighbors want. Nothing else. Ok, you have your own border problems, but at least you could try. Also tell him how you have dealed with your past and have come to terms with UK also.
There is great difference between your and our worldview. The western democracies never had any issue while dealing with the military dictatorships and the absolute monarchies. India doesn't need to care about the internal dynamics of Russia, because our engagement is on government-to-government level, we simply don't care about the internal politics of Russia or it's relation with it's neighbours. Western people are victims of their governments' propaganda.

We Indians are deeply indebted to Russia, Russia stood by us when no other country did (A friend in need is a friend indeed). The western world imposed sanction on us after the Nuclear Test, we haven't forgotten. But our relation with Russia is no longer something which we would jealously protect, pragmatism has set in. Our foreign relations will remain completely transactional in nature.

Nazi is not an emotive word in India, we simply don't care about either Hitler or the Nazis. Swastika symbol can be found in every Hindu household. Arya and Aryan is a common Hindu word/name.

Very little is known or discussed in India about Eastern Europe. When we talk about Europe, we talk about Western Europe. Forgive our ignorance, but that is the current situation.

This is the biggest misconception that we have come to terms with the UK. We haven't forgotten our past, we haven't forgiven "them" either. Like One forum member said, we are just waiting for the right moment and when that moment comes, we will surely have our "sweet" revenge. Distaste and mistrust for anything western is deeply ingrained in the Indian psyche. Even an act in good faith can be easily misinterpreted.

The relations come first. The joint projects are an outcome of friendly relations, and not the other way round.

Russians will treat us well if we treat them well.

Russians are emotional people like us (I think all Slavs are emotional) and friendship has a lot of weight for Russians. Russians generally feel very comfortable with Indians.

I feel that a lot of people still value Russian friendship. Russia will continue to have a special place in India.

I think Russian cooperation in defence, energy, and space fields will continue and the value may increase in future.
Russians are generally very rude and racist towards Indians. People-to-People interaction between India and Russia is extremely limited. I think Indians fit better in company of Americans or Canadians than Russians.

Last edited:

jouni

Calling you names is wrong. I respect honest debate. You did that when you first joined. You mentioned Christianity as a pillar of success of europe. meet resentment with Christian love like dostoevsky wrote about. ;-)

A good friend irl of mino Timo is 75 % finnish descent and german/swedish. I know a little about Finnish sentiment of course no where close to understanding your people because you really are a one of a kind culture. Everything from cuisine to your geopolitical situation to ethnic make up is peerless.
I know The winter war was one of the greatest struggles for freedom in modern history and Finlands love for germans is not for their beliefs but prgmatic help. scandanavians didnt colonialise india you should remind them but you constantly evoke being european, even in north America european is synonymous with colonialism. As I said meet the ignorance of finns with good faith and facts... And speaking down/ being passive aggressive when stating things isnt good faith

Finland AND India are BOTH seen as insignificant to north america and western europe/English sphere. its not wrong both countries are battlegrounds for western and russian interestts so neither has to fight them at home. dont take it personally Vietnam, Ethiopia, poland, spain etc didnt...
I try not to evoke too much bad feelings when I post. I have had quite a few heated debates with some of the members here. But I think that they have been respectful from both sides. Although for occasional reader they may seem otherwise. I enjoy a good debate, it is good workout for your brain when you have to manage with your wit and knowledge, instead of cheap shots or disrespectful behaviour.

Finland is firmly in the western camp, we have very good relations with Russia also. Our wars were "clean" wars,there are no debts to pay. also we do not have the sufferings of occupation like former eastern European countries, so we can be bridge builders between west and Russia.

Last edited:

Sylex21

India should be a nation too busy doing things to have time to worry about ego when it comes to Russia. I was a bit confused about Russia's recent cooperation with Pakistan, but some research made it seem quite reasonable from a Russian perspective and useful to them. It can't hurt to maintain already good relations with a country as powerful and important in the world as Russia, especially considering the cost to India would be so little.

From a Russian perspective the changes in India's policy have to be a bit threatening not to mention while Russia is putting on a strong front currently, it is suffering economically. India replacing Russia with the USA as it's top weapons supplier, inviting Obama to be the chief guest at the Republic day parade and other recent events must surely have cast a few doubts in Russian minds. Don't really feel now is the time to "put the ball in Russia's court", better that India take a proactive stance on cementing ties with Russia and dispelling any insecurities they might have.

While Russia growing closer to China to balance the West is natural, India can play a role there as well. A Russia not closely allied to a strong India, is more and more likely to need to lean/depend on China for more and more issues. Better India help at times, so Russia will be forced less often to seek China's help/support in matters.

India should try to develop as many relaxed relations with USA, Russia, China, as possible. Then India can just focus on trying to transform its economy into a powerhouse. India didn't have any part in creating the Western Alliance and has no strong need to get involved in actively supporting it. India has enough in common with the West culturally, democratically etc... that it doesn't really need to be part of a new Anti-West alliance either. Sometimes it pays to be the man in the middle.

Last edited:

jouni

Why the need to be antagonistic? I'm sorry you have a prejudice for Russians but not everyone needs to feel your sentiments

Indians respect and appreciate(d) Selfless Russian aid and help to their people.

Russia has given India cutting edge technology, enormous economic and protected indian sovereignty with Russuan lives and never thrown it in india's face

In comparison finland gives india pennies and signed pieces of papers *promising* almost average technology. Yet you have dozen of sanctimonious posts on dfi talking down, dehumanizing indians with racists stereotypes and defend it by some imagined right to do it because of finlands donated pennies.

please gain some perspective. youre becoming a european chauvinist.
About technology, I dont know what technology was promised. I think all high tech "aid" is based on co-op, not giving. We have separate development aid e.g. building wells of schools or donating medicine etc. I think Finland has given about 20 million euros aid to India in recent years.

pmaitra

About technology, I dont know what technology was promised. I think all high tech "aid" is based on co-op, not giving. We have separate development aid e.g. building wells of schools or donating medicine etc. I think Finland has given about 20 million euros aid to India in recent years.
Can you please give details of this alleged 20 million "aid?"

I am interested in knowing whether this money was simply given away, or it was loaned with interest. If it was loaned with interest, then it is not aid. It is a way to make profit. Even World Bank gives out "aid," but it is not really an aid, but a loan.

pmaitra

From a Russian perspective the changes in India's policy have to be a bit threatening not to mention while Russia is putting on a strong front currently, it is suffering economically. India replacing Russia with the USA as it's top weapons supplier, inviting Obama to be the chief guest at the Republic day parade and other recent events must surely have cast a few doubts in Russian minds. Don't really feel now is the time to "put the ball in Russia's court", better that India take a proactive stance on cementing ties with Russia and dispelling and insecurities they might have.
Very pragmatic comment.

I keep hearing all this talk about "red-lines," and "ball in Russia's court." For the past decade or so, Russia has already lost a chunk of India's defense deals to its enemy, the US. How have they benefited from India? They benefit a lot more from PRC. We can continue to think that the ball is in Russia's court, but Russia has nothing to lose, and will pursue its interests with whoever that benefits them. Russia is not the USSR, and we need to get over the mentality of getting from Russia several times more than we give back.

Meanwhile:
A full list of Indian companies allowed to export meat and dairy products to Russia is expected by the end of the year, says Deputy Economic Development Minister Aleksey Likhachyov.

Within a few weeks, Russian experts will inspect and certify a number of food processing plants in India, RIA quotes Likhachyov as saying.

"Four companies have already been certified. Rosselkhoznadzor [Russian Federal Veterinary watchdog] has planned a series of inspections in order to permit access to products of particular companies," Likhachyov said after a meeting of the Russian-Indian working group on priority investment projects.
Source: http://rt.com/business/200047-russia-india-meat-milk/

India imports a lot more from Russia than it exports. It is time for Indian companies to boost exports to Russia, pay off the Soviet era debt, and capture more of the Russian market, now that US, and its vassals have been blocked out of Russia's food market.

no smoking

Country flag
Very pragmatic comment.

I keep hearing all this talk about "red-lines," and "ball in Russia's court." For the past decade or so, Russia has already lost a chunk of India's defense deals to its enemy, the US. How have they benefited from India? They benefit a lot more from PRC. We can continue to think that the ball is in Russia's court, but Russia has nothing to lose, and will pursue its interests with whoever that benefits them. Russia is not the USSR, and we need to get over the mentality of getting from Russia several times more than we give back.

Meanwhile:

Source: India and Israel to supply meat and dairy to Russia — RT Business

India imports a lot more from Russia than it exports. It is time for Indian companies to boost exports to Russia, pay off the Soviet era debt, and capture more of the Russian market, now that US, and its vassals have been blocked out of Russia's food market.
First time see an Indian speak as a mature and independent power instead of a nation with the attitude of "the whole world owes a lot to me".
Very impressive.

pmaitra

First time see an Indian speak as a mature and independent power instead of a nation with the attitude of "the whole world owes a lot to me".
Very impressive.
You missed those numerous posts where I defended the pragmatism of PRC copying foreign military hardware. :)

prohumanity

Country flag
Folks...At G-20 ..the gang of bullies (G7) attacked Vladimir Putin..who is the only world leader who has balls to stand up to the bullies who think they can subjugate and crush other nations economies by sanctions, food embargoes and creating civil wars in their neighborhoods. Weaker the bullies become..more aggressive they become as they are insecure and see the beginning of the end of their ugly hegemony over world. Putin is the symbol of resistance against western bullying and therefore, the rest of the world looks at him with admiration and hope. The paid, presstitudes of western media are vomiting poison against Putin and proud Russian nation 24/7 and still they are not very successful in demonizing him. Smart people can see thru this dirty propaganda to mislead world.
As for Russian people, a few of them I have met in the past and I found them very knowledgeable, smart and courteous human beings. They have this sense of justice and not all about selfishness and greed.
India's choice should be crystal clear ..a long time, reliable, time tested friend can not be and should not be abandoned for a new, selfish friend who has a track record of decades to undermine and support India's enemy, Paki to keep India from taking its due place in world order. This new selfish,greedy friend is reaching out now because he wants to make profit from a rising India but I can say he can not be and should not be trusted as Zebras can not change their stripes. Indian civilization believes in loyalty to friends and mutual respect . And, Don't make a mistake...RUSSIA is a true friend and has always been a true friend. It will be historic blunder to lose such a friend. I know Modi, Rajnath Singh, Sushmaji ..can not be fooled easily ..they are wise and seen the past decades and the turbulence India went thru while Paki was being used to threaten and intimidate a great nation like India. There is nothing to fear...West is now an old, grumpy, frustrated man who can not stop his old habits of bullying and threatening other nations ...but MULTI-POLAR world order is UNSTOPPABLE.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Fighting sanctions, Russia opens up for business with India

Cornered by Western sanctions, Russia is selling resources at rock bottom prices to other parts of the world. India is in a position to do the same when Russian President Vladimir Putin comes for his state visit this week — if New Delhi negotiates properly.

"Everything is on offer, but India has to determine what it wants," says Nandan Unnikrishnan, senior fellow and head of Eurasian studies of the Observer Research Foundation.

Russia struck a deal a few days ago with Turkey for natural gas that the European Union spurned, but Ankara got a 6% discount on the already low EU price — some reports say final price was lesser.

Beijing had earlier forced Moscow to accept gas prices that Russia rejected a few years ago. China has also received a 25% price reduction in potash shipments, a key fertiliser ingredient. India and China are the primary importers of Russian potash.

The biggest deal Prime Minister Narendra Modi seems set to strike with Putin, say a number of sources, is for diamonds. Here, New Delhi's success lies not in prices but in concluding a deal in the first place.

The Putin state visit is expected to lead to Alrosa, the Russian consortium that is collectively the world's largest diamond producer, agreeing to directly deliver rough diamonds to Indian firms, many centred in Gujarat. Direct shipments would save Indian firms somewhere in the region of `70 to 80 billion a year, say industry estimates.

"Putin will attend the World Diamond Conference as part of this," says Tatiana Shaumian, head of the Centre for Indian Studies, in Moscow's Institute of Oriental Studies. "The diamond trade has a great future between the two countries."

It helps India's gem industry has grown large enough for Alrosa to pay attention. "In the past, when state-owned MMTC was the main buyer, the offtake was in the $100 million region. Today, we are probably capable of over one billion dollars," Unnikrishnan said.

India has also sought lower potash prices. However, these waters have been muddied by a breakdown of a Russian and Belarussian duopoly. India will be looking for a longer-term agreement and possibly equity shares in some of the smaller Russian potash firms.

Fighting sanctions, Russia opens up for business with India - Hindustan Times

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Russia may set up 20-24 nuclear energy units in India: Envoy

NEW DELHI: Less than two months before Barack Obama's presence in Delhi as the
Republic Day Chief Guest, Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin would unveil on Dec 11 a grand
vision document to meet India's energy needs and boost trade and investment ties
across wide-ranging sectors including a deal on sovereign fund notwithstanding a
recent veiled threat from US official of the risks of doing business with
Moscow.

The fast changing geo-political scenario has seen Delhi getting closer to US
while Moscow has reached out to Islamabad, raising speculations of a
Russia-China-Pakistan triangle in a new world order. But what could be music to
India's ears two days ahead of Putin's arrival, Russian Ambassador to India
Alexander Kadakin today dispelled India's fears on military sales to Pakistan.

"The frame work agreement which was signed with Pakistan does not envisage any
immediate supply. It is just a framework agreement which we have with many
countries. Never ever will Russia
do anything to the detriment to the security of India, a close and old friend,"
Kadakin assured.

Kadakin also took potshots at the western powers, saying the Summit is taking
place "against the background of a burdened international milieu, when we face
increasing pressure of the US and their allies, trying to force our country to
succumb its state sovereignty and act against our own national interests". He
was quick to add that Russia was not jealous over invitation to Obama for the
Republic Day celebrations. "India is rich fiancee with many bridegrooms,"
Kadakin quipped.

Amid this keen to maintain a balance in its foreign policy, and refusing to be a
party to Western sanctions against old ally Russia, the Narendra Modi government
is taking a pragmatic approach to boost its economic and strategic interests.
Putin's maiden to visit to India for the annual summit since the change of guard
in Delhi would see energy cooperation topping the agenda that could go a long
way in meeting energy needs of this country. The vision document that will be
unveiled during Putin's 20-hour-business like visit will be guiding principle for
cooperation over the next decade.

Besides, road map on nuclear
energy that could see Russia setting up 20-24 nuclear plants in India,
stakes in oil fields will also be offered to Delhi, Kadakin informed. Russia has
world's highest oil reserves. The Ambassador said Russia was also expecting from
the Indian side the name of the new site for another "cascade of nuclear power
units". Besides to further expand defence ties, Russia is keen to set up defence
service centre in India for supply of spare-parts for defence equipment bought from Moscow.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...units-in-India-Envoy/articleshow/45414168.cms

[MOD Edit: Must add link or give credit.]

sorcerer

Country flag
Interview of Vladimir Putin to the Indian Information Agency PTI

Before his upcoming visit to India on 10th and 11th of December 2014, Russian President Vladimir Putin gave an interview to the Indian Agency Press Trust of India.

QUESTION: Your upcoming visit to India is the first one since the government headed by Mr. Narendra Modi came to power; however, you have already met with him several times on the sidelines of international events. What results do you expect from the summit, primarily as far as Russian-Indian political, trade and economic relations are concerned?

PRESIDENT OF RUSSIA VLADIMIR PUTIN: As the President of the Russian Federation, I have been to India five times. I particularly remember my visit in October 2000, when we signed the historic Declaration on Strategic Partnership with the Indian partners.

With regard to my contacts with Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi, that is true, we became acquainted on the sidelines of the BRICS Summit in Brazil this July. We also had meaningful conversations in Brisbane (Australia) in November at the meeting of the Heads of State and Government of the BRICS countries and during the G20 summit.

I note with satisfaction the commitment of the Indian leadership to searching for new promising areas of cooperation. I am convinced that the common aspiration to further develop our bilateral relations will help to achieve significant results at the upcoming Indian-Russian Summit.

We look forward to discussing specific steps aimed at strengthening the privileged strategic partnership between Russia and India. We will devote particular attention to expanding trade and economic links and boosting mutual investments. Serious preparatory work has been done during the past sessions of the Inter-Governmental Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific, Technological and Cultural Cooperation and the Indo-Russian Forum on Trade and Investment (New Delhi, November 5, 2014). Joint strategic projects include the construction of new units for Indian nuclear power plants, promotion of Russian Sukhoi Superjet-100 and MS-21 aircraft to the Indian market, introduction of the GLONASS system in the sectors of the Indian economy. Our priorities include building a butyl rubber plant, helicopter manufacturing, creating "a smart city" on the basis of Russian technologies, organizing assembly of industrial tractors.

We attach particular importance to the development of military and technical cooperation that is one of the main components of our strategic partnership. We will discuss in detail the current projects in this most important sphere related not only to the export of ready-made equipment but to close technological and industrial cooperation as well.

Furthermore, we will exchange views on current international and regional issues and on deepening foreign policy coordination in order to further strengthen security and stability in Eurasia and in the whole world.

Of course, we will discuss in substance how to give a new impetus to the bilateral ties in the humanitarian sphere, increase contacts between the citizens of our countries.

QUESTION: India has traditionallyregarded Russia, and the USSR in the past, as a reliable "friend for all times." However, lately in India concerns have been raised about a sort of intensification of military and technical cooperation between Russia and Pakistan. In this light, do you think it would be appropriate to say that military and technical cooperation between Russia and India can be transformed?

VLADIMIR PUTIN:Our countries have been maintaining military and technicalcooperation for many decades. Moreover, I would like to emphasize that India is a reliable and time-tested partner.

If some transformations take place, it would be a completely different kind of transformations. As I have already noted, the high level of bilateral cooperation and trust allows us to start a gradual transition from the traditional producer"‘consumer modelto joint development and production of advanced weapons systems. We already have examples of such effective cooperation, by which I mean the production of high-precision up-to-date BrahMos missiles and creation of a multifunctional fifth-generation fighter aircraft.

As for Pakistan, we have held talks on Russia's possible assistance aimed at improving effectiveness of counter-terrorism and antidrug operations. In my view, this kind of cooperation serves the long-term interests of all countries of the region, including India.

QUESTION: Russia and India are successfully cooperating in the field of energy. India is planning to expand this cooperation, including through participation in the development of oil and gas deposits in the Eastern Siberia. What is Russia's position on this matter? What would it be realistic for India to expect? In your opinion, what are the prospects of supplying Russian natural gas to India through a pipeline?

VLADIMIR PUTIN: Historically, Russia has exported most of its hydrocarbons to the West. However, European consumption is increasing too slowly, while political, regulatory and transit risks are on the rise. At the same time, the economies of Asian countries are growing rapidly. Thus, we are naturally interested in diversifying the destinations of our energy deliveries.

We expect to secure ourselves a role of a reliable energy supplier to the Asian markets. At the same time, we intend to boost economic growth in Russia's Eastern Siberia and Far East regions and build new infrastructure there.

In view of the fact that Russia currently implements large-scale energy projects, we are interested in attracting new investments and technologies, including from India. As a good example of our mutually beneficial cooperation with Indian partners I could cite, in particular, the Sakhalin 1 project. A government oil and natural gas corporation ONGC is participating in it through its subsidiary, the ONGC Videsh Limited (OVL), which is a major Indian investor in Russia. Under the Sakhalin -1 project, over one million tons of oil is supplied to India annually.

The issue of participation by the OVL in hydrocarbons exploration in the Arctic is being actively discussed. This May, at the Saint Petersburg International Economic Forum, a memorandum of understanding was signed between Rosneft and OVL relating to cooperation on Russia's Arctic shelf within an international consortium. Gazpromneft is also interested in networking with Indian oil and gas companies with a view to implementing Arctic projects.

As far as Russia's natural gas supplies to India are concerned, that issue needs thorough consideration. A preliminary analysis has shown that the cost of pipeline transportation may significantly exceed that of liquefied natural gas supplies. So this is largely the question of commercial feasibility.

For the time being, Russian liquefied natural gas transportation seems the best choice. Let me remind you that last year the Gazprom Marketing and Trading Company already delivered to India two LNG shipments totaling 0.11 million tons in all. A long-term agreement on LNG supplies signed between the Gazprom Group and India's GAIL in 2012 entered into force in June 2014: it provides for the delivery of 2.5 million tons a year for the period of 20 years. India will start receiving LNG shipments as early as in 2017, or, in case the deadlines are shifted, by all means no later than in 2021.

We hope that our increased cooperation in the energy sector will contribute to India's sustainable and progressive social and economic development and help improve the quality of life of Indian people.

QUESTION: Russia is a long-standing partner of India in the domain of peaceful nuclear energy. What specific agreements are you planning to implement in the short term? What problems arise in this regard?

VLADIMIR PUTIN:Nuclear energy cooperation is one of the pillars of our strategic partnership. We concluded two inter-governmental agreements in this field in 2008 and in 2010. The Road Map for the Serial Construction of the Russian designed Nuclear Power Plants in the Republic of India, which was signed in 2010, is currently being implemented.

The work on two energy units of the NPP "Kudankulam" is proceeding as scheduled. In October 2013, the first energy unit of that NPP was connected to the Indian power grid, and this June that unit reached its full capacity. The second energy unit is being prepared for commissioning.

Documentation to start construction of the second stage of that NPP has been nearly finalized. A general framework agreement for building the third and fourth energy units was signed in Mumbai this April.

I must stress that today NPP "Kudankulam" is the world's only nuclear power plant which meets all the "post-Fukushima" safety requirements.

Apart from building new energy units of the NPP "Kudankulam", we await the decision of the Indian government to allot a site for construction of a new Russian-designed nuclear power plant.

Our resources enable us to build up to 25 energy units in India. According to experts, however, even these units may not meet the needs of dynamically developing economy of India. This is why we intend to discuss the prospects for further development of our cooperation in the domain of nuclear energy during the upcoming meeting with Indian Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi. The policy document "Strategic Vision of the Strengthening Russian-Indian Cooperation in the Field of Peaceful Uses of the Atomic Energy" is also being prepared to be signed. Alongside with new energy units' construction, it provides for the exchange of the results of activities in the field of science, technology and innovation.

QUESTION: Russia and India are planning to increase their trade turnover. What can be said about the prospects of establishing a free-trade regime between our countries?

VLADIMIR PUTIN:Russia and India have a huge potential of bilateral trade and economic cooperation. Alongside with that we have recently noted some decrease in bilateral trade due to unfavorable macroeconomic situation in the world. Last year's trade turnover amounted to 10 billion dollars, which is one billion less than during the previous year. It is important to reverse this trend.

A particular emphasis should be made on the development of high-technology areas of cooperation, namely nuclear energy, military and technical cooperation, space research, aircraft and automobile production, pharmaceuticals industry, chemical industry, information technologies and nanotechnologies.

We place great hopes in the Joint Working Groups on Strategic Cooperation and on Priority Investment Projects, being the new mechanisms established during the meeting of the Inter-Governmental Commission in November.

India expressed an interest in concluding a free-trade agreement with the Customs Union of Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan. The experts of the joint group, which is being formed under the Eurasian Economic Commission, will decide what steps should be taken and identify categories of goods for which the markets may be opened and those for which it would be still too early.

Obviously, not everything depends on a trade regime. There are some areas to be improved, I mean logistics and securing favorable financial conditions for implementing deals. The issue of a possible transition to payments in national currencies is also quite relevant.

QUESTION: Has the change of government in India this May influenced the progress of the Russian-Indian special and privileged strategic partnership?

VLADIMIR PUTIN: Relations between Russia and India have never been susceptible to momentary developments. At all historic times, regardless of political and public leaders, our countries remained reliable partners in deepening our multifaceted bilateral cooperation.

For example, we signed the above-mentioned Declaration on Strategic Partnership 14 years ago with Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, who led the government headed by Bharatiya Janata Party. A great role in elevating our relations to the level of special and privileged strategic partnership was played by the previous government formed by the Indian National Congress.

I am convinced that we will continue this fruitful work together with the new government in order to expand our multifaceted and mutually beneficial contacts, especially given the fact that as far back as he was the Chief Minister of Gujarat state Mr. Narendra Modi visited several times the Astrakhan Region, which has since established fraternal relations with that Indian state. Thus, today, we are happy to see friendly India to be led by a reputable political leader, who has already made a significant personal contribution to the promotion of the Russian-Indian cooperation.

Interview of Vladimir Putin to the Indian Information Agency PTI - News - Politics - Russian Radio

Last edited:

prohumanity

Country flag
There is no reason NOT to believe President Putin when he says that Pakistan was offered some weapons suitable for counter terrorism operations. I believe it. Mr.Putin is a straightforward man who don't talk in complex ,diplomatic jargon..he is a straight shooter, bold and frank.
Russia India relationship is based on trust,reliabilty and mutual respect for several decades. It's not easy to damage this relationship by paid media propaganda.

sgarg

My personal experience has been exactly the opposite of what you just stated.

I agree with @sgarg.
I never had a bad experience with Russians. Maybe experiences vary with people.

Indians are also lacking in inter-personal skills. Dealing with foreigners is an art which has to be taught.

Different nationalities behave in a different way. We need to know what to expect.

Last edited by a moderator:

DingDong

Country flag
I never had a bad experience with Russians. Maybe experiences vary with people.

Indians are also lacking in inter-personal skills. Dealing with foreigners is an art which has to be taught.

Different nationalities behave in a different way. We need to know what to expect.
My previous job forced me to interact with various nationalities. We don't need to know what others expect, we don't need to change to please others. We just have to be what we are.

As far as Russians are concerned, they are one of the most racist people on Earth. They are racist even towards the Europeans and liberally use the word "black", just ask any neighbour of Russia.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
My previous job forced me to interact with various nationalities. We don't need to know what others expect, we don't need to change to please others. We just have to be what we are.
As far as Russians are concerned, they are one of the most racist people on Earth. They are racist even towards the Europeans and liberally use the word "black", just ask any neighbour of Russia.
Absolutely hit the nail on the head - we MUST be what we are - and we are a great nation - IF we will
clean up our political system - which i feel Namo has begun to do .... so we have to keep at that and not
start relaxing too soon .

As for the ruskies - personally, i feel they have improved a great deal since the soviet days - it's
kinda controversial - in soviet days the system was great to us , not the people
nowadays the russian system is not so thick with india but the people as individuals are more friendly
and indeed respectful

as for black , the word is "CHERNO" - and they call kazakhs, Uzbeks, Turkmen and Afghans as vlack
and some turkmen actually look v european but still are considered black

As for india - we are talented people - so we need to get rid of that nehru -gandhi image of being
a hopeless nation - that is my only dislike of gandhi ( for nehru however , the list goes miles as someone
else on this forum had written )

Once you show a russian you are talented or monied , their attitude changes 180 degrees ....
so too with most people , really.

But what s all the above to do with state to state relations ? little or nothing
The whole world knows that india as a nation is mighty rich and has buying power

Russian tech on the other hand is not quite as good as usa's but still is good
enough to get the job done and comparatively less expensive plus TOT and licence
to manufacture on rather good terms .

Heck without russian tech 1971 war would have been pretty different and chicoms would
have eaten our northern borders and arunachal by now

so putin should still be v welcome - we can still use the relationship - it is valuable
just dont get suckered into lousy deals eg PAKFA deal need to be cleaned up ...and fast .

nevertheless you wrote a good post and i liked it .

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
The relations come first. The joint projects are an outcome of friendly relations, and not the other way round.
Russians will treat us well if we treat the well.
Russians are emotional people like us (I think all Slavs are emotional) and friendship has a lot of weight for Russians. Russians generally feel very comfortable with Indians.
I feel that a lot of people still value Russian friendship. Russia will continue to have a special place in India.
I think Russian cooperation in defence, energy, and space fields will continue and the value may increase in future.
Russians are generally very rude and racist towards Indians. People-to-People interaction between India and Russia is extremely limited. I think Indians fit better in company of Americans or Canadians than Russians.
hope im not gonna repeat too much what i written above

generally we are moving or already moved into a world where money counts a lot more than before and
people are moving across borders - international capital and people movements

in that sense i disagree with @sgarg totally because the cold war days are over and relationships
do not hold the same strategic significance as they did in those days
todays it is the economic needs which are paramount
so what Russians or indeed anyone else is singing - is the same tune - " what can you do for me " .

or perhaps " what can we joint venture together - and what's it worth "

when you get that figured out - whoever it is , russian, chinese , whatever could be your
best or at least your very good friend
that is how it works especially in nation to nation contact and its effects goes down to the individual level

granted , it may be a bit more difficult for russians as they have been so isolated by their commie past
their interaction with the rest of the world was restricted for so long .....we need give them more time

for example those Russians who have migrated to western europe or usa are v different
from those you'd meet in the interior of russia ! wouldnt you say ?

Last edited by a moderator:

DingDong

Country flag
The deterioration in relation is quite apparent. Putin's visit has hardly drawn any media attention in India. India has discovered her pride, she won't take it lightly if any country adopts "carrot (Energy) and stick (Pakistan)" against us, and there will definitely be consequences, but we are practical enough to sign deals which are beneficial for us.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles