Vishwaroopam and the public riots

SPIEZ

Country flag
This is my first at a descriptive narrative. So please bear with me.

-----------------------------------------

The release Viswaroopam has seem such a hype, that was never heard of before. The first controversy was the simultaneous rather premier release in DTH. Bringing the movie directly to home audiences. Perhaps Kamal understood that the release in theater's might have caused controversy. Jokes apart, the next controversy was that the movie showed Muslims in a bad light. The third one was, that the movie's TV contract wasn't given to leading TV channel, known to support the ruling party.

All controversies aside, Kamal has done a great job. After watching this movie one must have utmost respect for Kamal the artist. Kamal's usual self directed stuff are always exaggerated and are frankly boring or simply bad, for example Hey Ram, Mumbai Express.

But controversy is not new for Kamal. Even before this his movies have seen a host of conspiracies. Be it Manmadan Ambu, which caught the Hindu ire, as a result a song was deleted. Or Virumandi, originally titled Sandiyar, which lead to protest from the respective castes. If at all this has lent a hype to Kamal's movies.

A word about the riots that happened. Tamil Nadu has known to be pretty secular. The movie was released without any protests in other centres where there some communal disharmony without any hassles. So the cause of riots certainly looks suspicous.

And for all those who protested, free speech or not, all protesting Muslims have clearly meant that they in no way support the radical movements that has sprung in the other parts of the world,especially our nearest neighbors. If anything at all this protest must be seen as a positive. It is a clear indication that they do not support the extremism, that has surfaced in the name of religion. A major positive for secularism in India.

About the movie, Kamal has diminished the line between Hollywood movies and Indian movies. Although in some parts the Computer Generated Images appear obvious, in most parts he has done justice. His portrayal of Afghanistan is like never before, even better than many western movies. I watched the highly edited version, so couldn't understand some sequences of the movie.

-------------------------

Also on a personal note, I watched the movie with three Muslim friends.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
But what's the movie about ? Did it show muslims in bad light ?

prahladh

Respected Member
It did show RAW in bad light in one scene.
But I don't know which scene offended our Muslim brothers.

Phenom

And for all those who protested, free speech or not, all protesting Muslims have clearly meant that they in no way support the radical movements that has sprung in the other parts of the world,especially our nearest neighbors. If anything at all this protest must be seen as a positive. It is a clear indication that they do not support the extremism, that has surfaced in the name of religion. A major positive for secularism in India.
How did you come to that conclusion. :confused:

No,

The protest was because the film showed a few Muslims as terrorists, most of the protesters don't want Muslims to be shown in bad light. After this, there is already opposition for Singam 2 which has a Muslim bad guy (not a terrorist just a villain)

JBH22

How did you come to that conclusion. :confused:
The protest was because the film showed a few Muslims as terrorists, most of the protesters don't want Muslims to be shown in bad light. After this, there is already opposition for Singam 2 which has a Muslim bad guy (not a terrorist just a villain)
So these organisations will dictate what characters should look like?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Is the movie worth watching or not ? I dont give a shit about the politics and hype behind it.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Spoiler Alert!

Vishwaroopam Plot Summery
It shows how an Indian Muslim RAW agent infiltrates Al-Qaeda and helps US in WoT in Afghanistan. Then how the same agent helps CIA to foil a vengeful Al-Qaeda attempt to explode a dirty bomb in US.

Obviously Kamal Hasaan is the RAW agent
A Mullah Omar kind of role played by Rahul Bose.

The film ends with a promise of Vishwaroopam II - "India" coming soon.

BTW... Very graphic scenes... not the usual Kamal Hasaan type crappy CGI

SPIEZ

Country flag
Spoiler Alert!

Vishwaroopam Plot Summery
It shows how an Indian Muslim RAW agent infiltrates Al-Qaeda and helps US in WoT in Afghanistan. Then how the same agent helps CIA to foil a vengeful Al-Qaeda attempt to explode a dirty bomb in US.

Obviously Kamal Hasaan is the RAW agent
A Mullah Omar kind of role played by Rahul Bose.

The film ends with a promise of Vishwaroopam II - "India" coming soon.

BTW... Very graphic scenes... not the usual Kamal Hasaan type crappy CGI

Dude, you just spoiled the movie watching experience :rofl:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
I gave a spoiler alert, didn't I? If people does not want the experience to be spoilt, they do have an option to not click! Democracy! Fundamental right of choice! etc etc...

:fyeah:

Dude, you just spoiled the movie watching experience :rofl:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles