Violence at Maruti Manesar plant: One dead, 40 injured

sob

Mod
Country flag
Today morning my Father was sharing an incident of his with the Shiv Sena union at Pune.

during protracted negotiations over the wage hike, the local union controlled by SS, called in 2 people from Mumbai to handle the negotiations. According to my Dad they were the most professional and reasonable Union leaders he had met in his 30 years career spanning from Rajasthan, Bihar and West Bengal.
The first thing that the leaders assured the management was that there would be no slow down, and definitely no violence at the plant, irrespective of the outcome of the meeting. Needless to say the negotiations were over on the same day.

But looking at Manesar area it seems it is in grip of some very militant labour union leader.

arya

Country flag
thanks god they did not touched paint shop department

guys think what will happen if they start fire in paint shop department how many life will be lost in that case in NCR

just think about how dangerous condition will be if they make fire in paint shop

pmaitra

Re: Maruti Suzuki Manager burned to death by workers

Japs mad, want workers work for free, but why Indian manager should die?
Bhai, Japanese are not mad, and I hope you are not keeping past Japanese atrocities on the Chinese at the back of your head.

The problem is with Suzuki. They are not the best known Japanese brand in North America. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and to some extent Mitsubishi and Subaru, are leading Japanese brands. Suzuki gets the hype in India not because they make good cars, but because they make cheap cars. The Gypsy, however, was an exceptionally good car. The company has been stuck in a time warp since the days of the 3-cylinder engine which took much of the orient by storm. That hype has over-lived it's due. They had better learn from Honda and Toyota how to evolve. Most of their recent products have been minor rehash of the same design philosophy. Still, better than Hindustan Motors.

Zebra

Country flag
Manesar violence a shocker, but will not shift plant: Maruti.....

PTI | Jul 21, 2012, 05.21PM IST

NEW DELHI: Maruti Suzuki today declared a lockout at the violence-hit Manesar plant, stating it cannot risk life and safety of its employees. "There is now a lockout. To me, what is more important is safety of my colleagues than producing some cars to make some money," Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) chairman RC Bhargava said at a press conference here. .......

Stating that Maruti wants a complete investigation into the rioting, RC Bhargava said that the production will not start till 'causes' are resolved......

full article: Manesar violence a shocker, but will not shift plant: Maruti - The Times of India

Scalieback

Professional
Indian Industry on the Turn?

India: Boss Beaten And Burned Alive By Workers
Industrial unrest is on the rise in India as staff do more hours for effectively less pay - and this row spiralled out of control.

One of India's leading carmakers has been forced to shut down a key factory after rioting workers beat up a senior executive with iron rods before leaving him to be burned alive.

Human resources manager, Awinash Kumar Dev, was set upon after a labour dispute spiralled out of control.

Workers attacked the 51-year-old in the company's conference room with bars they had taken from the factory floor.

Police say they broke both of his legs before spraying thinners – an inflammable liquid - into the room and then setting it on fire.

A post-mortem of his charred remains showed he suffered multiple fractures but the pathologist believes he would have been conscious as the fire engulfed the building.

His wife and son have been left traumatised and are being treated for shock.

At least 40 other managers were also injured in the riot, including two executives from Japan.

Most of them are being treated in hospital with one senior executive on a life support machine.

The riot happened on Wednesday night after negotiations over the suspension of a worker broke down.

The company claims the worker was suspended after he assaulted his supervisor that morning but the workers' union at the car plant has given a different version of events; it claims the supervisor abused the employee, who has been named as Giya Lal, and made "casteist comments".

A spokesman for Maruti Suzuki, Puneep Dhawan, said the plant in Manesar in the north Indian state of Haryana has stopped production for the foreseeable future because of the extensive fire damage.

"The plant is burnt in sections. You cannot make any cars," he said.

It is not clear whether the factory – which makes more than half a million vehicles every year - will ever be reopened.

Industrial unrest is increasingly common in India.

The rising cost of living means workers often have to work longer hours for effectively less money.

In 2008 a mob of disgruntled workers at Graziano Trasmssioni India killed the chief executive by staving in his skull with hammers and metal bars.

Maruti Suzuki has also experienced labour disputes in the past.

Last year, three strikes stopped the production of tens of thousands of cars.

The police say they have now arrested 88 Maruti Suzuki workers on charges of murder and property damage.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Singur to Manesar frying pan
- Worker on the run after trying to rebuild life post-Nano

Manesar, July 20: Singur native Shankar Ghosh (name changed on request) suffered his first disillusionment when the Nano factory, where he had trained, left Bengal four years ago.

The second, he says, came soon after he got a job at Maruti Suzuki's Manesar plant in 2010 and discovered the workers had to "work like dogs and face inhuman treatment".

Now the young man is on the run after Wednesday's violence, hiding at an undisclosed location from where he spoke to this correspondent over his cellphone.

He said employees at the Manesar plant — who worked eight-hour shifts: 7am to 3pm, 3pm to 11pm, or 11pm to 7am — faced a "standing order not to spend too much time in the toilet". If they spent longer than five minutes, they received a tongue-lashing from supervisors.

"Anybody caught chatting with co-workers faced a salary cut. We were not even supposed to talk to colleagues while having lunch or dinner. Such was the pressure that we would rush back to work without finishing our meal," Ghosh said.

"We had to work virtually non-stop: we got only 20 minutes' break for lunch or dinner. It was inhuman. I was far happier as a trainee at the Singur Nano plant before it closed down."

Maruti Suzuki managing director and CEO Shinzo Nakanishi, who termed the clash a "bad dot" in the company's history and called it the biggest challenge in his career, made a reference to employee relations today.

Asked if there was a communication gap with the workers, he told PTI: "If there has been a lack of communication with the workers, then we need to improve it."

The company had said in a statement on Thursday that the problem at the unit, by any account, was not an industrial relations issue over wages or working conditions. "Rather, it is an orchestrated act of mob violence at a time when operations had been normal over the past many months," the statement had said.

Ghosh, a resident of Beraberi village in Singur, had undergone a course on automobiles at the Industrial Training Institute before receiving hands-on training at the Tata Motors' Pune and Singur plants. He had had high hopes then, like many other young men in Singur and Bengal.

Ghosh was shattered when, after he had worked for seven months at the Nano factory's engine shop, Mamata Banerjee's land agitation forced the small-car project out of Bengal. After brooding for two years, he travelled the 1,640km to Manesar to find a job.

He said he still was a casual worker at Manesar despite the training he had undergone.

Maruti Suzuki has just over 1,000 permanent workers in a workforce of around 3,200, the majority being contractual and casual workers or trainees, most of them in their 20s. Ghosh said he received a salary of Rs 7,000 while the permanent workers were paid Rs 18,000 upwards.

"I live in a nearby village and spend Rs 2,000 on rent. I would have had to shell out another Rs 2,000 had I not shared the room with a co-worker," Ghosh said.

He would not say whether he was part of the workers' band that allegedly vandalised the plant and set some offices on fire, causing the death of a general manager.

"Please don't ask me anything about it. We are very scared. The police are looking out for us and may implicate me in the case," he said before disconnecting his cellphone.

Singur to Manesar frying pan
Maybe the Japanese system of 'discipline' is not suited to Indian conditions.

Japanese eat frugal meals and can finish it in 20 minutes.

Indian food is elaborate and it is such that if eaten fast, it leads to indigestion.

Notwithstanding, what has happened is disgusting and unacceptable.

amitkriit

Maybe the Japanese system of 'discipline' is not suited to Indian conditions.

Japanese eat frugal meals and can finish it in 20 minutes.

Indian food is elaborate and it is such that if eaten fast, it leads to indigestion.

Notwithstanding, what has happened is disgusting and unacceptable.
When the anger is suppressed for too long such things happen. I have met Japanese people. Unlike the American managers who adopt to the local conditions really fast (that is why American Businesses grown so fast), Japanese live in their own wonderland. Instead of accepting the locals and their habits they try to convert them into Japanese.

We need stringent, balanced and practical labour laws, no matter what our Industrialists say, working condition is appalling and exploitation is still rampant. We cannot let the Industrialists do whatever they want for the sake of growth and investment.

pmaitra

Very interesting discussion:

Last edited by a moderator:

Predator

Manesar unrest: Maruti losing Rs 70 crore per day - India - Haryana - ibnlive

Meanwhile, the police said it has identified most of the workers who instigated the violence. "No further arrests have been made so far but we have identified majority of the workers who instigated other workers and committed the crime," DCP Gurgaon Maheshwar Dayal said.

He said most of them are union leaders and executive members of the workers union who were having negotiations with management officials prior to the incident.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
If this is true, then there has to be someone in the political class involved with the Maoists. The Maoists want a stranglehold on any village, town, or city, that they can come by, and so do the politicians. It is a nexus.

Without the involvement of a part of our political elite, this Maoist insurgency would have been crushed long time back.
i doubt about poltical involvement , because our polticans arent stupids they know about what maoist objectives are . seocnd present congress leadership in Haryan gov is pro-industralist . i donot think they would easily torelate such thinks

anoop_mig25

Country flag
MY question is china is a communist nation . but we donot see strike there all though we see riots but not strike . also chinese workes works in more harsh conditions then indian plus less pay(i assume it , if wrong plz correct it) . then who come there is no strikes.

Also i want to know which unions are there in mansear with violent streak . are they related to Moaist any way?

mahesh

Country flag
i was wondering to invest in maruti shares, i have to wait for a bit longer to accumulate at lower prices :p
but bad news for one of the automobile industry getting another hit :(

parijataka

Country flag
MY question is china is a communist nation . but we donot see strike there all though we see riots but not strike . also chinese workes works in more harsh conditions then indian plus less pay(i assume it , if wrong plz correct it) . then who come there is no strikes.

Also i want to know which unions are there in mansear with violent streak . are they related to Moaist any way?
Does not look like Maoist violence. The striking Maruti workers are apparently mostly local young men from Haryana CM Hooda's home district Rohtak newer recruits unlike the older workers who are docile imports from UP-Bihar.

Violent Maruti workers are from Hooda's Rohtak
According to the police, the workers, who have all gone underground, considered themselves above the law. "Many of the young workers who perpetrated the violence on Wednesday are from Rohtak district. Many young men from Rohtak were hired at the Manesar plant after Hooda became the CM. They know that in the end nothing will happen to them," said a worker, who is employed at a nearby site of the company.

"The management should understand that these people are not the old lot of workers from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar who would accept anything from the company. Most of these workers are young men aged between 20 and 23 years," the worker added.

The Hooda government had recently given 700 acres of land to Maruti in Rohtak for developing a research and development facility, which would provide employment to 40,000 workers.

pmaitra

i was wondering to invest in maruti shares, i have to wait for a bit longer to accumulate at lower prices :p
but bad news for one of the automobile industry getting another hit :(
You have raised a very god point.

PRC is a de jure communist country and a de facto capitalist hell hole and a slave labour camp.

They do have labour riots in PRC. See these articles:
China fears job riots - CNN.com
More than 1,000 workers riot at factory producing toys for McDonald's, US-based labour rights group reports | China Labour Bulletin
Riots in southern China | Reuters
China Cracks Down in Wake of Riots, Bombings - Bloomberg
'Mass suicide' protest at Apple manufacturer Foxconn factory - Telegraph

Read the way workers are treated in PRC; quite similar to the way workers are treated in many Indian factories.
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/china/30812-foxconn-chairman-calls-chinese-workforce-animals.html
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...-workers-threaten-mass-suicide-xbox-plan.html
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...ectronics-factory-under-suicide-scrutiny.html

Now the question is, are we going to follow the same path that PRC has taken, and exploit workers in these slave labour sweat shops? Right now, that is the case with many Indian factories, so we might as well say "Hindi-Chini Bhai Bhai." Moreover, why spread this paranoia about Maoists having a nexus with the workers? We should welcome the Maoists, especially since we want to support industries that exploit workers just like Mao's PRC does.

pmaitra

Four reasons behind Maruti Suzuki's Manesar problems

Analysis by Economic Times.

The Missing India connect

Since 2007, two important changes have happened at Maruti. One, Shinzo Nakanishi, the current MD of Maruti Suzuki, took over the reins from Jagdish Khattar. RC Bhargava, who was a director, was made chairman. Two, Maruti and the India market are also becoming increasingly important for Suzuki Motors. Till recently, Maruti contributed more than half of the parent's profits.

As Maruti's contribution to Suzuki has increased, the latter's tendency to control India operations has increased. Agreed, it has an Indian chairman but Bhargava is 78 years old. It does have many senior Indian executives who have been 'lifers' at Maruti. But insiders who will speak on the condition of anonymity say the Japanese voice counts and often tends to dominate crucial decisions. Culturally, Indians and Japanese are far apart. Their sense of discipline, punctuality, employee connect too are very different. Some loss of connect with Indians is expected.
[HR][/HR]
Leaner, Meaner Pressures

The challenges of running manufacturing outfits have surged. Costs and wages have increased and sales are poor & volatile. Doing business is difficult. Doing profitable business is even more difficult. Every company is figuring out ways to bring down costs and improve productivity. Most have contract labour to bring in flexibility and reduce costs. At Maruti's Manesar factory, 40% workers are on contract and their salary could be half of the regular workers. Maruti is among the better pay masters.

Amid all this, competitive intensity in the marketplace for Maruti has never been as severe. Being a volume player, the only way for it to survive and flourish is to churn out more and more cars. All this has translated into relentless pressure to improve productivity and margins at all levels. For Maruti, this pressure is particularly high. Not surprisingly, the Manesar plant, that churns out two top-selling models in the Maruti stable — Swift and Dzire — is at the heart of all the strife.
[HR][/HR]
Young & Restless Workers

In Haryana, young blue-collar workers have seen dramatic changes around them. Land prices have surged as Gurgaon has become a commercial hub. Overnight, people have become rich and their lives have transformed simply because they made a killing selling their land. Such changes have re-calibrated worker expectation who have seen their sleepy little hamlet transform into a city of high rises and malls in a decade.

They are less tolerant and fairly aggressive in their expectations and how they want to achieve it. Poor wage hikes and raging inflation [I said this in post #16] have queered the pitch further, resulting in an impatient, militant workforce, which believes in aggressive posturing. Sonu Gujjar, the leader of the labour unrest at Maruti plant last year, represents that generation. In his 20s, Gujjar organised a concall with analysts to put forth the workers' point of view and made headlines.
[HR][/HR]
Return of the Red Flag

From its peak in the 1980s, trade unions have been on a decline in India. Trade union bodies across the board — from Citu to AITUC — have been seeing a steady decline over the years. It does not help that a large percentage of workers in Indian factories are foot-loose contract workers. Over 90% of the Indians are employed in the unorganised sector where the trade unions have been finding it difficult to make inroads. They have made many efforts to spread their network among white collar workers like BPO employees, but with little success. Expectedly, they are tapping into every possible opportunity they can get to grow their base. Their involvement in Maruti's labour unrest signals that.
Four reasons behind Maruti Suzuki's Manesar problems - The Economic Times

pmaitra

Labour unrests across the world

Worker protests have forced many companies to their knees in the past.

Flint Sit-down Strike, 1937-38
Soon after the Great Depression, a 44-day strike caught General Motors off guard. The strike forced GM to recognise United Auto Workers as the sole labour representative. GM had to increase pay by 5% and adjust wages to American living standards.

Great Bombay Textile, 1982
About 250,000 mill workers and more than 50 mills went on strike for a month due to the rigid stance from both government and union. Many mills moved outside the city and the strike collapsed eventually, yielding nothing for workers except joblessness and majority of mills closing down permanently.

Daewoo Strikes, 90s and 2000s
Now-defunct Korean giant faced many strikes over layoffs and better pay. In 1999, workers went on a two-month strike over layoffs of 6,800 out of 18,000. In 2010 again, workers demanded reinstatement of the workers and recognition of the union.

SangYong Motors Strike, 2009
Workers occupied the South Korean plant after a proposed lay-off. The employee strength had decreased after takeover by China's Shanghai Automative Industry Corporation. The 77-day strike ended only after police raided the plant using helicopters. An agreement was reached over wages and reinstatements. Company filed a lawsuit for $45 million against the union and claimed $258.6 million in damages.

UPS Workers' Strike, 1997
In order to reduce cost, UPS which controlled 80% of the packaged delivery in the US, hired huge number of cheap part-time employers. After 15 day strike, they agreed upon an increased pay for both part-time and full-time workers, also to upgrade 10,000 part-timers to full-time status. The strike cost the company $650 million.

Dunlop Strike, 2009 and ongoing
Tyre-maker Dunlop's plant in Chennai are demanding uniform compensation to all employees, irrespective of experience. The management has suspended operations alleging indiscipline among workers and safety concerns. Now their demand is to reopen the plant with the full workforce. Talk continues but plant remains shut.
Source: A bumpy ride ahead for Maruti? - Hindustan Times

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The problem could also be because:

1. Expecting the civil work force to become regimented robots with very little leeway for 'private moments'.

2. Huge disparity in wages of the permanent workers and the contract workers.

3. No recreation facilities worth the name.

4. Contract workers have no stake in the Plant activities and profits.

5. Very little job security because of the 'hire and fire' policy.

pmaitra

The problem could also be because:

1. Expecting the civil work force to become regimented robots with very little leeway for 'private moments'.

2. Huge disparity in wages of the permanent workers and the contract workers.

3. No recreation facilities worth the name.

4. Contract workers have no stake in the Plant activities and profits.

5. Very little job security because of the 'hire and fire' policy.
First of all, a company that runs on 1,000 permanent workers in a workforce of around 3,200, cannot survive in the long run. This policy clearly shows the management is looking for robots. If at all, the management needs to be referred to a psychiatric hospital. Least said about their management skills or work ethics.

Secondly, if Suzuki, which BTW is one of the forgettable brands in Japan and the West, wants the India workers to be like Japanese workers, then they must ensure India workers earn the same percentage of Indian managers as Japanese workers do w.r.t. Japanese managers.

Thirdly, last time there was an agreement between the management and the union, it did not involve the workers. The union was not the workers' union, but one that was foisted on them by the management. This is unconstitutional and illegal.

Fourthly, Suzuki has proven to be a very irresponsible employer, that does not provide Provident Fund, Health Benefits, Recreation, etc., to a cast majority of it's workers (around 67%).

Finally, Shinzo Nakanishi should be booted out of India and asked to setup a slave camp in PRC. PRC is better suited for the kind of slave labour that Suzuki is looking for.

I fail to understand why in the name of industrialization, Indian states are inviting such inhumane conditions. This is a very similar case as with Honda. What will Haryana achieve with a high per capita income if its workforce is treated like slaves?

Now I hear Modi is courting Suzuki. Well, good luck to the workers there. My advise to the workers would be, if any supervisor makes a casteist remark, take it lying down.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles