Vijit-m an insulting name

rcscwc

Tihar Jail
Banned
Coast guard inducted a ship and named it 'ICGS Vijit'.

Vijit means conquered, defeated, subdued. etc. Who selected this name? Why not Avijit, the unconqured?

Do our establishments have to be so secular as to NOT KNOW meaning of the words?

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Interesting.............It has to be a Panparag chewing babu who must have named the coast guard ship!

rcscwc

Tihar Jail
Banned
BABU? Where was the VIVEK and BUDHHI of the the Coast Guard and AND our NAVY?

Must have been a Babu? A Conjecture. Likely it was proposed from "below". Who diddit? It is anyway demoralising. Heard of an HMS Defeated or USS Conquered?

Last edited:

maomao

Country flag
They are dependent on the Vivek and Budhi of Babus......I think you dont understand how things work in India, if a babu gets angry a military official will not get promotion and his wife will give him a divorce if he cannot earn with all means......so how can you defy a babu or correct him on the mistake.....atleast corrupt top brass of the armed forces wont take such chances as they are retiring and indulging in corruption like a "Bukha Sand".

SHASH2K2

BABU? Where was the VIVEK and BUDHHI of the the Coast Guard and AND our NAVY?

Must have been a Babu? A Conjecture. Likely it was proposed from "below". Who diddit? It is anyway demoralising. Heard of an HMS Defeated or USS Conquered?
what stopped them to add just an "A" before Vijit. That would have become " Avijit " . one who has never been conquered.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Ummm doesn't Vijeet mean "the one who has conquered (his enemies)" i.e Jo Vijaya Ho Gaya hai ?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
This is downright stupid and even in this aspect, reflects the defense preparedness of our armed forces in the hands of corrupt democratic system that we follow unlike Europe and America. There is zero accountability from ministers and people knowing that problem is there, just talk about it and get on with their lives. So what do you expect? In fact I am not at all convinced by even such small indications that we are prepared to take punishment from a larger adversary, no matter what VK Singh, Naik or Verma tell on the news interview channels (since it is likely that ministry must have threatened to tell them or be fired).

maomao

Country flag
Avijit i know means who cannot be conquered and Vijit means Conquered, if dictionary is saying Vijit means the winner then nothing more can be said!

SHASH2K2

VIJIT mean victorious . http://www.goashipyard.co.in/NewsEventsDetails.aspx?id={0050-0100-0148-0128-0161-0192-0225-0256}
I thought its either Vijayi or Vijeta that means victorious . Looks like I need to buy a Hindi dictionary .

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
maomao said:
Avijit i know means who cannot be conquered and Vijit means Conquered, if dictionary is saying Vijit means the winner then nothing more can be said!
What if it's a case of Flammable and Inflammable ? :special19:

maomao

Country flag
LOL Babaji.......Ek aap "baba" hen doosre rahul "baba" hen.....Now you don't start like him....I expect much more from you!!:happy_2:

S.A.T.A

Vijit here represents 'one who has conquered' rather than 'has been conquered'(although it can be represented in that manner too)........My own name 'Sreejith' means one who 'has won or conquered fortune'(its a different matter that my life so far has had little to do with fortune or conquering anything remotely associated with it ),there are other such instances eg: Arjit,prasannajit........ etc

Last edited:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
What is in the name, specially if it has to be used against enemies, those who do not know its meaning but its presence :). I think Jain religious people object on Arihant name as well. They were interpreting Arihant differently, as it has nothing to do with hunting enemies or killing enemies. Our languages are perfect scripts but some time extensively/over detailed.
Jis ke rahi bhavana jaise prabhu murat dekhi tinh jaisee...something like.

rcscwc

Tihar Jail
Banned
Goa shipyard is an athority on Hindi language? ridiculous.

Vijit does mean CONCQUERED, possessed by force [ like prize ship, or war booty etc], defeated, subdued etc.

Vijeta, Vijayi mean the VICTORIUS.

It is NOT.

See entry for VIJETA विजेता
Unconquerable---> अजेय

Hard to conquer ---> दुर्जय

Killer of enemies: अरिहन्त. Jains do not have monopoly on a word.

श्रीजित ---.> glorious Victor or victor of glory. Like Indrajit: Victor of Indra or the One who Defeated Indra. This Meghanad, son of Ravana.

A lot is in name. Ever heard of a Kutta Singh? i never did.

http://dict.hinkhoj.com/shabdkosh.php?word=विजेता

Last edited:

vinay535

sirji,
i guess you are getting confused between names of living and non living things
agar mai kahun mai vijit hun ( i am winner) and
mai kahun yeh mera vijit kshetra hai( this is my winning area)
it has 2 meanings

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles