Venetian Independence Movement

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Too many separatist movements in Europa lately ?

---

Inspired by the nationalist aspirations of Scotland and Catalonia, pro-independence campaigners will hold a mass rally in the heart of the lagoon city on Saturday, calling for an urgent referendum to be held on the issue.

Indipendenza Veneta, a newly-founded pro-independence movement, says it expects several thousand people to turn up for the rally.

They will be ferried across the Grand Canal in gondolas to deliver a "declaration of independence" to the headquarters of the Veneto regional government.

It may sound fanciful, and it will be fiercely resisted by Rome, but activists want to carve out a new country in north-eastern Italy which would comprise Venice, the surrounding region of Veneto and parts of Lombardy, Trentino and Friuli-Venezia Giulia.

The "Repubblica Veneta", as it would be known, would encompass about five million people.

Mass rally in Venice to call for independence from Italy - Telegraph

IBSA

Country flag
Does the historic Republic of Venice turning back again???

This way, soon or later Republic of Genoa will claim independence too. :p

panduranghari

Wonderful news. I hope even more countries break up or demand separation. I even hope Euro breaks up. I hope Salmond (scottish MP) will now demand separation from the UK after these comments.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Wonderful news. I hope even more countries break up or demand separation. I even hope Euro breaks up. I hope Salmond (scottish MP) will now demand separation from the UK after these comments.
The green party has joined the scottish indepedence movement.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Venice was not only an independent republic for over 1,000 years, it was also a major economic power and controlled its own maritime empire.

Venetian territory at its greatest extent:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
WTF is wrong with Europe? Suddenly every tom dick and harry is demanding independence?

They really should have respected Asian country's territorial integrity rather than encouraging separatism in other countries. Now they are getting Karma back. :D

In the end, only France, Germany, Poland and Russia will be standing as the largest countries in Europe if this continues.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Venice actually should ally with the Netherlands to learn how to keep the city afloat. I am not joking.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
WTF is wrong with Europe? Suddenly every tom dick and harry is demanding independence?

They really should have respected Asian country's territorial integrity rather than encouraging separatism in other countries. Now they are getting Karma back. :D

In the end, only France, Germany, Poland and Russia will be standing as the largest countries in Europe if this continues.
Germany has not been one country for so many years.

mikhail

Country flag
but now they are and they are one of the richest state of entie EU!

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Are We Becoming Medieval? - Victor Davis Hanson - National Review Online
A tourist mecca like Venice now boasts that it dreams of breaking away from an insolvent Italy. Similarly Barcelona, and perhaps the Basques and the Catalonians in general, claim they want no part of a bankrupt Spain. Scotland fantasizes about becoming separate from Great Britain. The Greek Right dreams of a 19th-century Greece without Asian and African immigrants who do not look Greek. Belgium increasingly seems an artificial construct, half Flemish, half French, with the two sides never more estranged. These days Texas and California do not even seem like two parts of a united nation, just as Massachusetts is growing ever more distant from Wyoming.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles