Vedic culture and society

S.A.T.A

My experience on this forum so far suggests people peddle opinions as facts and very rarely indulge in academic courtesies like citing references for their claims.....

However In the other thread someone had claimed that only brahmins are considered as Dvija(or twice born). Well this may not be entirely true. Brahmins today undergo the Samskara of Upanayana, following which the person undergoing the ceremony is believed to be the have undergone a second, and superior, spiritual birth. To mark this initiation the individual wears a girdle.

Prof P. V Kane, in his magnum opus - History of the Dharmasastras, opined that Upanayana may have emerged as a singular institution during the period of the Dharmasastras. In the Apastamba Dharma sutra, Apastamba provides indication that all members of the first three varnas under went the rite. Apastamba suggest that, like brahmanas, the Kshatriya wear a sacret girdle made from a 'jna' used as a bowstring(vysyas a rope used in the plough)

Upanayana was, in old days, a prelude to the Brahmacarya stage (learning). While Brahmacarya would have been important for all the three varnas, at least during the period when institution of state was in its infancy and agriculture was yet to expand and attain sophistication. However around the time of the beginning of the common era, sophisticated state institution had emerged, the realm of these states had expanded and with it more lands were now available for agriculture.

With the emergence of new states and sophisticated farming, traditional form of education would have become inadequate to help the Kshatriyas and vysyas cope with the new challenges. Thus the two varnas may have begun looking within their groups for training and education and may have completely abandoned traditional mores of education. With this also disappeared traditional forms of initiation like Upanayana.

Shredder

Country flag
This is the thread to discuss Vedic culture and traditions.

Advise people to post comments with proofs - snippets from Vedic literature.

Hot discussion about horoscope and muhurat can be taken up here.
Thank you @garg_bharat

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
https://hindi.webdunia.com/hindu-religion/sixteen-sacred-rites-of-hinduism-112043000025_1.html
यज्ञोपवीत : यज्ञोपवित को उपनय या जनेऊ संस्कार भी कहते हैं। प्रत्येक हिन्दू को यह संस्कार करना चाहिए। उप यानी पास और नयन यानी ले जाना। गुरु के पास ले जाने का अर्थ है उपनयन संस्कार। आज भी यह परंपरा है। जनेऊ यानि यज्ञोपवित में तीन सूत्र होते हैं। ये तीन देवता- ब्रह्मा, विष्णु, महेश के प्रतीक हैं। इस संस्कार से शिशु को बल, ऊर्जा और तेज प्राप्त होता है। साथ ही उसमें आध्यात्मिक भाव जागृत होता है।

Adequately explained here :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvija

Also read Manu Smriti.

https://naidunia.jagran.com/spiritu...ra-must-be-chant-before-wearing-janeu-1712383

हिंदू धर्म में प्रत्येक हिंदू का कर्तव्य है जनेऊ पहनना और उसके नियमों का पालन करना। हर हिंदू जनेऊ पहन सकता है, बशर्ते कि वह उसके नियमों का पालन करे। ब्राह्मण ही नहीं समाज का हर वर्ग जनेऊ धारण कर सकता है। जनेऊ धारण करने के बाद ही द्विज बालक को यज्ञ तथा स्वाध्याय करने का अधिकार प्राप्त होता है। द्विज का अर्थ होता है दूसरा जन्म।

जनेऊ में मुख्‍यरूप से तीन धागे होते हैं। यह तीन सूत्र त्रिमूर्ति ब्रह्मा, विष्णु और महेश के प्रतीक होते हैं। यह तीन सूत्र देवऋण, पितृऋण और ऋषिऋण के प्रतीक होते हैं। यह सत्व, रज और तम का प्रतीक होते हैं। यह गायत्री मंत्र के तीन चरणों का प्रतीक हैं। यह तीन आश्रमों का प्रतीक है। संन्यास आश्रम में यज्ञोपवीत को उतार दिया जाता है।

तीन सूत्रों वाले इस यज्ञोपवीत को गुरु दीक्षा के बाद हमेशा धारण किया जाता है। अपवित्र होने पर होने पर यज्ञोपवीत बदल लिया जाता है। नया जनेऊ पहनने से पहले स्नान के उपरांत शुद्ध कर लेने के पश्चात अपने दोनों हाथों में जनेऊ को पकड़ें।

इसके बाद नीचे लिखे मंत्र का उच्चारण करें -

ॐ यज्ञोपवीतम् परमं पवित्रं प्रजा-पतेर्यत -सहजं पुरुस्तात।

आयुष्यं अग्र्यं प्रतिमुन्च शुभ्रं यज्ञोपवितम बलमस्तु तेजः।।

इसके बाद गायत्री मन्त्र का कम से कम 11 बार उच्चारण करते हुए जनेऊ या यज्ञोपवित धारण करें।

महिलाएं भी पहन सकती हैं जनेऊ

वह लड़की जिसे आजीवन ब्रह्मचर्य का पालन करना हो, वह जनेऊ धारण कर सकती है। ब्रह्मचारी तीन और विवाहित पुरुष छह धागों का जनेऊ पहनते हैं। यज्ञोपवीत के छह धागों में से तीन धागे स्वयं के और तीन धागे पत्नी के होते हैं। यज्ञोपवीत में पांच गांठ लगाई जाती है जो ब्रह्म, धर्म, अर्ध, काम और मोक्ष का प्रतीक है। यह पांच यज्ञों, पांच ज्ञानेद्रियों और पंच कर्मों का भी प्रतीक भी है।

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Jyotisha is primarily divided into Ganita and Phaliata.
You may start here and keep following :
Ganita has become very easy with computers but Falitarth is something which is very critical and needs a lots of experience and study.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Happy with the responses. Earlier I started a thread on Veda on a forum and I was the only one posting comments.

People are contributing means people are aware which is a big deal.

Even being aware of Veda is a big deal in the current time as most people are simply ignorant.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Sanjay Jagdish Sharma: I have house and am planning to construct hawan kundh, please guide me from where do I get details of construction hawan kundh as per rules so that no mistake occurs. Further I want to consult for my horoscope is there any good astrologer available with Ved Mandir who can help me solve my problem through horoscope.
Swami Ramswarup: Yes in Vedas it is advised that a Yagshala must be built along with the house. It must be outside the rooms in open air duly covered with a roof on pillar for protection from rains etc. But the walls must not be built. As regards horoscope you may consult locally, please. But according to Vedas it is meant for considering date of birth only, please. Otherwise future is built only by hard working and real worship of God.

https://www.vedmandir.com/questions-answers-older-questions-third-set/?highlight=horoscope#038;hilite='horoscope'

My Comment: The Rishi says that horoscope is ONLY for recording time of birth means it shows position of planets at the time of birth.

Last edited:

garg_bharat

Country flag
Kishor: If a girl with Sukra Shani Mangal Dos marriages a boy without the dosh, what will be the result?
Swami Ramswarup: To know the truth our ancient Rishis have advised to tally the matter with Vedas. Because in Vedas there is no mention of word manglik so you need not worry. The people who are not manglik are also suffering from the problems mentioned by you. Shri Ram married Sita after breaking the bow. And nobody saw Shri Ram¡’s teva or Anything. In Mahabhart Yudhisthar married Draupadi by piercing arrow in the eye of a fish (the eye was pierced by Arjuna the younger brother of Yudhisthar) and there was no teva and manglik etc. Savitri married Satyavan at her own wish and no teva or manglik etc. Pandu married Kunti and Madri without teva or manglik etc. Teva means janam patri made by pandit i.e., horoscope. So according to Vedas these are not required and self made story. So please do not worry about manglik etc. future is based on pious deeds, hard working towards a right path and God helps those who help themselves. The knowledge of Vedas emanates direct from God. So whatever, there is in Vedas that one is true/authentic. Our ancient Rishis like Patanjali in his yoga shastra sutra 1/7, have briefed that if the matter is not mentioned in Vedas as true one that will be considered unauthentic. As manglik matter/teva
etc., is not mentioned in Vedas. So being unauthentic needs no consideration. Death etc., is always due to the result of past lives/present lives’ deeds and
births and deaths are under control of God Himself. Because we are free to do good os bad deeds but result is awarded by God. So for a long happy life one should always do pious deeds according to Vedas for a long happy family life even one should listen Vedas, perform havan/Yajyen and practice of yoga philosophy and follow only religious eternal path discharging all moral duties faithfully. God is not only meant for one or two race. He is for entire humans being and even for universe. So why other races do not accept manglik matter etc. So no question of fear please. However, good qualities to pull on happy life are required from both sides.
https://www.vedmandir.com/questions...t/?highlight=horoscope#038;hilite='horoscope'

garg_bharat

Country flag
Rohit: Ek gadi adhi gadi aadhi mein puni ad tulsi sangat sadhu k harye kote aprad. Dear sir, madam please send us meaning in Hindi.
Swami Ramswarup: Muhurat ka matlab hee gadhee hai isliey jab ek muhurat time ka hota hai to usi prakaar aage kee gintee jaan lo.

Brahm muhurat

Brahma Mahurat starts in ushakaal which starts from 4:00 a.m. early in the morning uptil sun rise. Vedas tell that it is the most beneficial time to recite Gayatri Mantra or the name of God and practice of Ashtang Yoga Philosophy etc. At this time the mind does not suffer much disturbance or problems as compared to rest of the day. Rigveda especially tells that Brahma Mahurat makes man healthy, wealthy and wise if a person does the said worship in Brahma Mahurat. Apart from this, Vedas state several benefits of Braham Mahurat which cannot be explained here, being lengthy.
https://www.vedmandir.com/questions-answers-august-06-2015/?highlight=muhurat#038;hilite='muhurat'

Translation:

Muhurat is a unit of time. 'ghadi' and 'muhurat' are same.
Brahm Muhurat - 4AM till sunrise

garg_bharat

Country flag
Ramesh: Are there any lagna dates in vaishakh or jyestha?
Swami Ramswarup: According to eternal knowledge of Vedas every day, time etc., is always pious to do any pious deed like marriage, so you can arrange your marriage anyday. No doubt that in the present pandit etc., see teva and tell some lagan, muhurat or particular date but being against the vedic knowledge, no any learned accept it. We have to follow Vedas.

https://www.vedmandir.com/questions-answers-march-29-2012/?highlight=muhurat#038;hilite='muhurat'

My Comment:

Learned do not accept calculating a 'muhurat' as it is against Veda.
Any time is good for marriage as per convenience.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Falit jyotish or predictions of one's life events is a fraud. This fraud has come to India from Egypt.

I have had heated arguments about this with many astrologers.

As I said before, karma (or action, work) is basis of human life. Events can change due to actions.

garg_bharat

Country flag
My house is practically a Vedic books library. One room is devoted to Vedic books.
The people who are trying to teach me Manu Smriti need to study themselves. I got 'deeksha' in 2007.

However I am no expert. My knowledge is small and superficial. But I have been able to reject falsehoods due to grace of my Guru.

Vedic culture has been distorted by Pandits over the years. Why Islamic invaders were successful in India was due to Brahmin class stopping study and propagation of Veda.

Both Ramayan and Mahabharat were corrupted in Raja Bhoj's time. Greed overpowered truth as receiving money for Panditai became more important than genuine knowledge.

Vedanta has no meaning if you do not know what is in Veda. First study Veda, then Vedanta.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Falit jyotish or predictions of one's life events is a fraud. This fraud has come to India from Egypt.

I have had heated arguments about this with many astrologers.

As I said before, karma (or action, work) is basis of human life. Events can change due to actions.
फलानि ग्रहचारेण सूचयन्ति मनीषिणः ।
को वक्ता तारतम्यस्य तमेकं वेधसं विना ॥

This used to be the opening quote of famous Astrological Magazine which means knowledgeable people can only indicate the results of the movements of planets otherwise who except the God can can say for certain what will happen.

S.A.T.A

My house is practically a Vedic books library. One room is devoted to Vedic books.
The people who are trying to teach me Manu Smriti need to study themselves. I got 'deeksha' in 2007.

However I am no expert. My knowledge is small and superficial. But I have been able to reject falsehoods due to grace of my Guru.

Vedic culture has been distorted by Pandits over the years. Why Islamic invaders were successful in India was due to Brahmin class stopping study and propagation of Veda.

Both Ramayan and Mahabharat were corrupted in Raja Bhoj's time. Greed overpowered truth as receiving money for Panditai became more important than genuine knowledge.

Vedanta has no meaning if you do not know what is in Veda. First study Veda, then Vedanta.
Vedanta can be useful without the need for mastering the mantra or the brahmanas..

garg_bharat

Country flag
Vedanta can be useful without the need for mastering the mantra or the brahmanas..
Proof? Whatever you say needs a proof.

Veda is the final arbiter whenever there are two differing views.

Life cannot be based on easy way out.

S.A.T.A

Proof? Whatever you say needs a proof.

Veda is the final arbiter whenever there are two differing views.

Life cannot be based on easy way out.
The Mantra texts and the Brahmanas are usually related to the the rituals and are invoked during sacrificial rituals. The Aranyakas and the Upanishads on the other hand speculate on the true nature of the 'Atman' and 'Brahman' and hence form the bedrock of classical Indian philosophy. Plethora of 'Karikas and Bashyas(commentaries)' available from ancient times, have made their study, as an independent branch of knowledge, quite easy and accessible. Any student of Indian philosophy can pick up 'Gaudapada's karika on' Mandukya Upanishad' or Adiguru Sri Sankaracharya's Bhashya on ' Brihadaranyaka Upanishad' can deep dive into them, without having any priory knowledge of the Mantras or the Brahmanas...

cannonfodder

Country flag
Very basic question:

What do Vedic literature say about:
1. Polytheism
2. Nature worship
3. Atheism/Agnosticsm etc

Is it inline with monism or more inclined towards monotheism?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles