USSR planned nuclear attack on China

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Sir, of course, with due respects to your opinion, we can agree to disagree. The very fact that PRC has been issuing stapled VISAs to Indians from J&K and Arunachal Pradesh, is in itself, as per my humble interpretation, a hostile act; because it gives out the message that PRC does not recognise Indian sovereignty over J&K and Arunachal Pradesh and reserves the right to invade to claim these territories whenever the moment is opportune; and they have done that in the past in 1962 and attempted in 1983 (if I am not mistaken). If that is not enough, then repeated incursions by PRC forces into Indian territory should act as the icing on the cake.

Trade is fine. It is a necessity, not a favour or charity. We also have trade with Pakistan, albeit small. We also have cultural exchanges with Pakistan (Pakistanis coming to India to perform/act, not quite the other way around) and so many cricket matches and other sports. Yet, terrorism has continued unabated as much as has been border firing and shelling. Isn't that hostility as well? Trade and other paraphernalia have nothing to do with hostility, or the lack thereof.

I would not be fooled by these joint-COIN exercises. It is a very nice way to learn the tactics of a potential enemy's armed forces. Sorry, I am not going to be ecstatic about it.
First of all, please do not call me sir, as I am most likely a lot younger than you.
Second of all, I agree with everything you said, but I do not consider China either an enemy or an ally. Rather I consider them a potential enemy and a potential ally, since Sino-Indian relations have an equal chance (IMO) to either reach new heights or sink to new lows this century.

In my opinion, all China is doing is exploiting the passiveness of the GoI. They know that we are the only country in their neighborhood (and in the world, for that matter) that has the capacity to compete with them man for man, dollar for dollar in the future, and that is why they are trying to distract/destabilize India today, so we don't become a major competitor tommorrow.

There is nothing really wrong with this. Chanakya would completely understand and approve of China's actions, were he alive today. What we need to do, as a nation, is make it very clear to China that we are not going to tolerate their tactics. To this end, we should do whatever it takes. Militarize the border. Set up border guards to monitor activity. Open Tawang and Arunachal Pradesh to tourists so the whole world knows who is in control. If need be, we can give up our claim on Aksai Chin in exchange for Chinese recognition of the stats quo, and the withdrawal of illegitimate claims on AP. If China's support to Maoists and Pakistan doesn't end within the decade or two, we shouldn't hesitate to start openly supporting Taiwan, Japan, and Vietnam on their disputes with China, and start covertly supporting subversive movements in Tibet and Turkestan.

This is what Chanakya would have done.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles