USA shows its true colours, sells F16s to Pakistan; Envoy summoned

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
India is "disappointed" that the United States has approved the sale of eight F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan and summoned the US ambassador to New Delhi on Saturday to convey its "displeasure".

"We are disappointed at decision of the Obama administration to notify the sale of F-16 aircrafts to Pakistan. We disagree with their rationale that such arms transfers help to combat terrorism," the ministry of external affairs said on Saturday. US ambassador Richard Verma was summoned to the ministry's South Block office on Saturday morning where he met foreign secretary S Jaishankar over the matter.

India reacts strongly to US decision to sell 8 F-16 jets to Pakistan, summons envoy

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
One fails to understand the rationale behind Modi GoI insistence on developing better relations with the Yankees, given the fact that they clearly are not our partners or allies. They are the hands which feed Pakistan, the snake.

sachin458377

Country flag

NEW DELHI:
India, disappointed with Obama regime's notification to sell F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan, has decided to summon US envoy Richard Verma to lodge protest over the issue.
"We are disappointed at the decision of the Obama Administration to notify the sale of F-16 aircrafts to Pakistan. We disagree with their rationale that such arms transfers help to combat terrorism. The record of the last many years in this regard speaks for itself. The US Ambassador will be summoned by the Ministry of External Affairs to convey our displeasure," the MEA emphasized in a strongly worded statement on Saturday. The deal is valued at $ 699 million.
On several occasions in the past under the UPA government and during earlier governments Delhi had expressed its displeasure over F-16 sale to Pakistan which it thinks could be used against India.
This decision by the Obama administration comes in the backdrop of serious differences between US Congress and government on the sale of F-16 jets to Islamabad.
As late as last Tuesday Senate Foreign Relations Chairman Bob Corker wrote to Secretary of State John Kerry he would block the Obama administration's subsidized sale of up to eight F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan. In a letter on Feb 9, Corker spoke about Islamabad's relationship with the Haqqani network.
Last month other US Congressmen had also opposed sale of F-16 jets to Islamabad. "I don't know how an F-16, with all of its hardware on there for combat can be used for humanitarian aid. If they were buying C-130s ... I could see those being used for humanitarian aid. But F-16! It's not really humanitarian aid," Congressman Ted Poe had said. "Those F-16s and the military equipment that we are providing Pakistan are being used against their own people, just like they did against the people over there in Bangladesh," said another Congressman Dan Rohrabacher.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...-envoy-richard-verma/articleshow/50969823.cms

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
What indian government can do to stop the supply?????
Nothing.

All GoI can do is protest and make our side of the argument vociferously shouted and put on the record.

Obama is a tool of American security establishment that drafts long term policies for different regions. Obama let Pakistan off the hook even after receiving body bags of his own solders and sheltering Osama for the same great games they think they can play to check every nation Including India.

Country flag
Pakistan will always be an obstacle in India USA defense ties reaching any higher levels .
USA will always gift or claim to sell weapons to pak. India can always buy from others or best option develop indigenous weapons. I don't think USA will ever stop gifting weapons or giving aid. India needs to purchase keeping in mind USA about to gift to pak. If Hillary elected I expect a lot more weapons to fight terror will be gifted to pak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnantS

Country flag
Come again, did I not read some arguments right here on this board that since India and US relations are at new level we should buy off their F-18, F-35 (in other words subsidize Pakistan's purchases)?

AnantS

Country flag
Pakistan will always be an obstacle in India USA defense ties reaching any higher levels .
USA will always gift or claim to sell weapons to pak. India can always buy from others or best option develop indigenous weapons. I don't think USA will ever stop gifting weapons or giving aid. India needs to purchase keeping in mind USA about to gift to pak. If Hillary elected I expect a lot more weapons to fight terror will be gifted to pak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whether Hillary or Trump, State dept has a very consistent policy towards Pakistan since Cold war, I dont see them changing, especially when everybody in state dept is dreaming about cold war 2.0 for rejuvenating its mil industrial complex and returning back to cold war era economic prosperity. Even episode of 9/11, and continuous pounding of American forces by Pakistani sponsored terrorists often using US donated weapons, could not change American Policy of petting the Pakistan. That should tell you on US state dept's threat list, India ranks higher than Pakistan

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Let them buy it, as it will always be an inferior jet against Indian Upgraded Mirage,MIGs and flanker even with the Blk 52 standard.

Just don't let Russia to sell them SU 35 with China acting as a Dalal.Because the day SU 35 entered pak service, all of our edge which we made since early 2000 would be gone and MKI would be left obsolete.

pmaitra

What can India do to stop a deal between two sovereign nations? India does not have the clout over the US to stop this anyway. Ultimately, India needs to build its own capability to field world class fighter jets.

datguy79

I think people are overreacting a tad bit here. This sale barely moves the needle in terms of India losing any conventional advantage over Pakistan.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
I think people are overreacting a tad bit here. This sale barely moves the needle in terms of India losing any conventional advantage over Pakistan.
so we sit down and do nothing ?

US forcing india to leave pak- FA project....
it's just the opposite
see below pls

What indian government can do to stop the supply?????
Nothing.
All GoI can do is protest and make our side of the argument vociferously shouted and put on the record........
sorry
dont agree

there is quite a fair bit india ca do about it , only question for me is; , WILL THEY ?

recently i have been listening to zbigniew brezinsky , who is current or recent NSA chief for usa

i heard him say that soon china will join usa at center-stage with india waiting in the wings and PERHAPS a revived russia .....he places india at a higher level than russia medium tern , not short term and he place the European union far below even russia given the same mid-term time frame

secondly he was asked questions from the audience at one of the centres of strategic studies .....he acknowledged and of his own accord included india plus japan and others in an against china defense group

soon china is going to show their prowess in the SCS ...plus with russian help toward, china, then the usa would be in v deep trouble plus usa's own economic problems

my takes is that it is time for india to talk tougher with usa ...... WE WONT HELP THEM WITH SCS coalition ....if they continue with this type of sales to pack..... ideas to such effect

if namo and goi cant or wont deliver this type of tougher language to usa ambassador verma and others, ...then ....... we are subdued

BUT ........ they did call usa ambassador in, and i do not have COMPLETE info on what was spoken to him ...so let's see from the outcome and later news information

contrary to what someone ELSE wrote above , we are actually being pushed to cooperate better with the russians in PAKFA, to counter these f 16's given to pack

we are being pushed away from the usa and towards Russian and other sources of arms and TOT, with this kind of usa policies .....we must let them know that and that we are serious that we cannot cooperate with the usa if they keep doing this

we will also suspect usa in all other negotiations.... we also will go slow on commercial ventures

is that what they want ? ....they should consider other ways of help in pack "fight against the very terrorists they created " than giving f16 ...what a joke of a policy usa authors

@angeldude13@Abhijat@Ancient Indian @anupamsurey@aliyah @Alien@angeldude13 @Abhijat@Ancient Indian@anupamsurey @aliyah
@Alien @Aravind Sanjeev @A chauhan @asingh10 @asianobserve
@Bahamut @BATTLE FIELD@bose @Bornubus @brational @blueblood
@Blackwater@Blood+ @bhai-117 @Bangalorean @bengalraider @cobra
commando @Chirag @Chris Jude @Chinmoy @Cadian@DingDong @ersakthivel @FRYCRY @Gessler @garg_bharat @guru-dutt@Hari Sud@hit&run @HeinzGud @indiandefencefan@I_PLAY_BAD @Indian Devil @Indibomber @Jangaruda @jackprince@Kunal@Kshatriya87 Biswas@LETHALFORCE@laughingbuddha @mhk99 @maomao@Navneet Kundu @Neil @Nicky G @OneGrimPilgrim@pmaitra @parijataka
@PaliwalWarrior @Pulkit @Rowdy@Razor@Rashna @[email protected]
@Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Srinivas_K @sunnyv @sgarg@sabari @Sameet2
@saik @sorcerer @sydsnyper @Sridevi @SREEKAR @Screambowl
@Sylex21 @TejasMK3@The enlightened @tejas warrior @tharun @thethinker @tsunami @VIP @Vishwarupa @Vishal Guts @Yusuf@Yumdoot @Zebra

Last edited:

cloud_9

Country flag
This doesn't change the equation in anyway but showing our displeasure with American policies is the right way forward.Brings back some reality to the fairytale relationship we had with US since 2005.

Bahamut

Well we all know that USA will not allow rise of a independent power as it threat to their harmony.They will continue to play the double game.In 10 years time when India has sufficient power they will say they have to counter the rise of India .Just like the use China to counter Soviet in cold war they use India to counter the rise of China and then one day they will say that India is threat to 'world security '.How does giving fighter plane comes in Aid.I can understand food,water and other non lethal technology but giving F 16 as AID is funny.

I_PLAY_BAD

Selling to Pakistan is an indirect move by USA to enrage India and make it commit a mistake of handing over its major defense deals to US companies. If we think that US is trying to keep up the steam between India and Pakistan then it is not entirely right. Every politics has a business behind it, every business has a politics behind it. USA is an epitome of Politics and business. India must not treat this as a big let down and proceed with its business as usual. It is actually a fact that Pakistan is a major benefactor of American as well as Chinese politics.
India must not heed into that and concentrate fully on economic sustainability and development which the present Government is not doing full-time.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles