US urges Pakistan to hold dialogue on Balochistan

KS

Bye bye DFI
WASHINGTON: The US has urged Pakistan to "really lead and conduct a dialogue that takes the Balochistan issue forward", says the US State Department.

State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland addressed the issue in a "twitter-briefing" that the department holds every Friday, allowing people from around the world to tweet their questions to her.

"This was a very popular question on our feed, so we wanted to make sure that we answered it today," said Ms Nuland who focused on the violence plaguing Balochistan instead of tackling political issues raised in most of the tweets.

"The United States is deeply concerned about the ongoing violence in Balochistan, especially targeted killings, disappearances and other human rights abuses," she said.

"This is a complex issue. We strongly believe that the best way forward is for all the parties to resolve their differences through peaceful dialogue."

The State Department official noted that the US took the allegations of human rights abuses very seriously and had discussed these issues with Pakistani officials. "And we also urged them to really lead and conduct a dialogue that takes this issue forward," she concluded.

While her answer may not satisfy Baloch nationalists who had sent most of the questions, it would still irk Pakistani authorities who do not want the Balochistan issue to be discussed at international forums.

Washington-based Baloch nationalists are hoping that Ms Nuland's response would set an example and encourage other governments and international organisations, such as the United Nations, to address the issue.

The question that Ms Nuland responded to came from Pakistan from a person who identified himself only as "Cadet 1081" and asked: "Pakistan is committing genocide of the Baloch nation, why does the US not intervene in Balochistan and make us get our freedom?"

While Ms Nuland confined herself to addressing the issue of human rights violations, other respondents did not. "Pakistan is not killing Baloch people. Only the followers of Balach and Hyrbyar want freedom," wrote Mr Spirit 110.

"Pakistan is killing innocent Baloch people and the world is blind. It is our right to be free," wrote Behuman.

US urges Pakistan to hold dialogue on Balochistan | Newspaper | DAWN.COM
Democracy is coming to Balochistan :troll:

SpArK

SORCERER
Expect

1. Pakistan army reaction.
2 Gilani reaction telling its internal.
3.kayani going to China- a statement.
4 Chinese funny guy coming to Isloo- statement, photo shoot, hugging.
5 3 blasts for convoys or attacks in afghan border.
6.Imran announces new rally.
7 US going :fu:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Pakistan cannot hold any dialogue with the Balochis since that will open up a Pandora's box with the Balawaristan nationalists of the Gilgit, such as the Balawaristan National Front, who are seeking to define a separate identity for Gilgit, Baltistan, the people of Waziristan, those wanting Sindhu Desh, the ones wanting Pakhtoonistan and the one wanting Saraikistan.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
More than seeing genuine interest of the US about the plight of Baloch people, I see it as a pressure tactic to make Pak fall in line.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The US has a lot of interest in Balochistan.

It is important because it allows the US to use the Jundallah against Iran, the vast mineral resources still to be tapped, access to the Gwadar port and so on.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Actually I was waiting (like it were a prophecy :D ) when the US would openly utter the B word to Pakistan. Want to see how aggressively Americans pursue this and where it takes the bilateral relations. Americans have been meddling in Pakistan for years and now that Pakistan is no more a virgin, I think the yank's hesitation is completely gone. :rolleyes:
How will China take this gaze of uncle Sam? They are extremely resource hungry.

Regards,
Virendra

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
^^ Sometimes I get the feeling that in their hearts, the Chinese would be happier to see Balochistan as an independent republic. :lol:

Look at the amount of drama around Gwadar - so many years, so much wasted ink. End result is nowhere in sight.

The Chinese are basically looking for returns and money. All this instability, violence and security problem in Pakistan is making them hesitate to invest in their taller-deeper friend. They would actually benefit from a sane and stable independent Baloch nation.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Chinese themselves has been at the wrong end of the stick in Balochistan.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Among the desi Islamist mindset populace of rural areas, I wonder how the loads of cheap Chinese laborers would work with 0 incidents.
PoK & Baluchistan both places don't fare very well in employment rates.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
I don't recall the name of the magazine/journal/news site, was it time, or foreign policy, or the week, or some other, where they highlighted the international news you missed out on in 2011, and balochistan was listed as one and it was clearly stated, there will be more concerted effort to up the tempo on this issue, one will hear more about this issue and so is happening.

Since the start of this year, this is the 2nd or the 3rd time I am hearing the name balochistan being mentioned in the western capitals by senior officials, last time it was one of the European capitals and it seems the trend will only catch on.

This is the only real advantage I see of an attack on iran, which is, if the US, Israel and NATO have something designed for sistan & baluchestan province, where post the initial attack on iran, the whole province bursts up in flames and a decisive war of independence gets fought, then Pakistan is in for deep-deep trouble because the same fire catching up in balochistan wont take much time and there will be an all out support for them.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Let the Games begin! :)

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
The US has a lot of interest in Balochistan.

It is important because it allows the US to use the Jundallah against Iran, the vast mineral resources still to be tapped, access to the Gwadar port and so on.
May be unhindered access to Afghanistan if Baluchistan gets independence or autonomy !! Denial of Gwadar port to China !!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
And Clear the area between Balochistan and Afghanistan and the world is yours fof the US!

noob101

I don't recall the name of the magazine/journal/news site, was it time, or foreign policy, or the week, or some other, where they highlighted the international news you missed out on in 2011, and balochistan was listed as one and it was clearly stated, there will be more concerted effort to up the tempo on this issue, one will hear more about this issue and so is happening.

Since the start of this year, this is the 2nd or the 3rd time I am hearing the name balochistan being mentioned in the western capitals by senior officials, last time it was one of the European capitals and it seems the trend will only catch on.

This is the only real advantage I see of an attack on iran, which is, if the US, Israel and NATO have something designed for sistan & baluchestan province, where post the initial attack on iran, the whole province bursts up in flames and a decisive war of independence gets fought, then Pakistan is in for deep-deep trouble because the same fire catching up in balochistan wont take much time and there will be an all out support for them.
I wonder why Iran hasn't supported any kind of armed rebellion in Balochistan, IIRC 1.5 million baloch people live in Iran and a most Baloch people identify themselves more with Iranian culture than with Punjabi dominated Pakistan. I agree with you that it is a very under reported news story and that if tensions between Pakistan and the US diminish then as usual you can expect the US to bring to light all the bad things about Pakistan

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles