US to break China Internet firewall

A.V.

US in new push to break China Internet firewall

WASHINGTON (AFP) – The United States plans to pump millions of dollars into new technology to break through Internet censorship overseas amid a heightened crackdown on dissent in China, officials said Tuesday.

State Department officials said they would give 19 million dollars to efforts to evade Internet controls in China, Iran and other authoritarian states which block online access to politically sensitive material.

Michael Posner, the assistant secretary of state in charge of human rights, said funding would support cutting-edge technology that acts as a "slingshot" -- identifying what countries are trying to censor and throwing it back at them.

"We're responding with new tools. This is a cat-and-mouse game. We're trying to stay one step ahead of the cat," Posner said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/uschinai...Npbm5ld3B1c2h0

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
This is so twisted. First, US companies such as Cisco make tons of money selling network censorship and civilian monitoring technologies, and now it wants to spread an antidote. It is evidence that US is getting directly involved in destabilizing China.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Does that mean I don't have to activate my proxy software everytime I try to visit ***falungong.com?

prototype

This is so twisted. First, US companies such as Cisco make tons of money selling network censorship and civilian monitoring technologies, and now it wants to spread an antidote. It is evidence that US is getting directly involved in destabilizing China.
Well I think this is how business work,first create the virus,then create the antidote,money from both side.

A.V.

It could get very messy for the US and the sponsored guys on either side can play the game to dirty levels

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Does that mean I don't have to activate my proxy software everytime I try to visit ***falungong.com?
No, it means increased policing. Things were better with the firewall. Your government saw it as an "install and forget" solution (at least that's what Cisco pitched to it), evident from the fact that it's easily penetrable even today, using proxy software. Now that the US going to make it even easier for Chinese to evade the firewall, the government will take notice, and come up with tougher measures to protect the system, and tougher consequences for trying to evade it (or teaching others how to).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles