US 'taken aback' by HMS Astute

Neil

Country flag
The United States Navy was 'blown away' by the performance of HMS Astute during sea trials in the Atlantic recently, the ship's commanding officer has said.

Commander Ian Breckenridge, 45, led HMS Astute through four-and-a-half months of sea trials off the US east coast and said the submarine had demonstrated "tremendous capability".

"We met and surpassed every expectation. She is just better than any other submarine I have ever been on," he said.

During the trials, Astute took part in simulated battles with American Virginia Class submarine USS New Mexico, deep dived, and fired her Tomahawk missiles and Spearfish torpedoes. HMS Astute sailed 16,400 miles during the deployment.

The success comes after a series of operational setbacks during the submarine's sea trials to date, with Astute becoming grounded on a shingle bank in late 2010 and later damaged by a tug sent to recover her. The attack submarine also suffered a failure of support systems in February 2011.

"Astute is still on trial and she is first of class, which always brings its own problems, but we are beginning to look beyond those problems and see the promise," said Commander Breckenridge, who previously served on HMS Superb and HMS Tireless.

"We fired off four Tomahawks, aimed at a corner of Eglin Air Force Base to test for accuracy, and we fired six Spearfish torpedoes, including the first salvo firing by a British submarine for 15 years.

"Our sonar is fantastic and I have never before experienced holding a submarine at the range we were holding USS New Mexico. The Americans were utterly taken aback, blown away with what they were seeing."

Second in class HMS Ambush was launched in 2011 and is set to begin sea trials later this year. The UK is to receive seven Astute class submarines overall.

US 'taken aback' by HMS Astute - Defence Management

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
It looks like it took a long time for it to be built and commissioned!!

Austin

So are you saying Astute cant do 20 knots ? Any link if that is the case ?

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
So how will French Barracuda-class fare against the Astute and what new can you expect from them ? I think they will be armed with Submarine launched version of Storm Shadow.

Hindu @Armand2REP

Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
"We fired off four Tomahawks, aimed at a corner of Eglin Air Force Base to test for accuracy..."
I never knew Eglin AFB was an impact zone. :wat:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
So how will French Barracuda-class fare against the Astute and what new can you expect from them ? I think they will be armed with Submarine launched version of Storm Shadow.

Hindu @Armand2REP
It will be 10 knots faster, slightly quieter and not have the design flaws of BAE that somehow forgot how to design submarines.

Last edited by a moderator:

Austin

It will be 10 knots faster, slightly quieter and not have the design flaws of BAE that somehow forgot how to design submarines.
I doubt it will be 10 knots faster and more quiter , is there any thing there to back your claim ?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I doubt it will be 10 knots faster and more quiter , is there any thing there to back your claim ?
A K15 150MW reactor on a 4700t boat... yeah it will be fast just like the Papas of the Soviets. The stealth features of the submarine are classified.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
India should also build futuristic nuclear attack submarines more advanced than Barracuda and Astute class submarines. Recently I heard Russia is doing R&D on fifth generation nuclear submarines.

Link
en.rian.ru/military_news/20130319/180112651.html"Ž

Austin

A K15 150MW reactor on a 4700t boat... yeah it will be fast just like the Papas of the Soviets. The stealth features of the submarine are classified.
That still does not explain how did you arrive at 10 knots faster then Astute.

Do you know the thermal effeciency of K15 reactor and the hydrodynamic effeciency of Baracudda design to arrive that that figure.

Does DCN claim that it is 10 knots faster then Astute ?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
"Our sonar is fantastic and I have never before experienced holding a submarine at the range we were holding USS New Mexico. The Americans were utterly taken aback, blown away with what they were seeing."
No Americans actually quoted in the article.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
That still does not explain how did you arrive at 10 knots faster then Astute.
Because the same reactor powers the 13,000t Triomphant class SSBN 10 knots faster than Astute's 19 knots. It is a safe margin, it can probably go twice their speed.

Do you know the thermal effeciency of K15 reactor and the hydrodynamic effeciency of Baracudda design to arrive that that figure.
That is classified, I do know the same reactor powers a submarine 3 times bigger at speeds well beyond Astute. Barracuda will be a race horse.

Does DCN claim that it is 10 knots faster then Astute ?
DCNS isn't allowed to claim its top speed, it is classified.

Austin

You are assuming too many things there including that Astute can do only 19 knots.

These data will be more reliable if it comes from DCN

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles