US seeks to export Afghan war to split Pakistan

Country flag
PressTV - US seeks to export Afghan war to split Pakistan: Webster Tarpley

An analyst says the main purpose of the US war in Afghanistan was to export it across the border to break up Pakistan, Press TV reports.

The comments came after former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf admitted that his government had agreed "a few" times to the United States launching drone strikes inside the South Asian country. The unpopular drone strikes, according to the nonpartisan public policy group New American Foundation, have an estimated death toll of at least 1,990 people in Pakistan, including hundreds of civilians.

Press TV has conducted an interview with Webster Tarpley, author and historian from Washington to further discuss the issue. Tarpley is joined by Jihad Mouracadeh, political commentator from Beirut. The following is a rough transcription of the interview.

Press TV: How significant is it that Musharraf has admitted that he had given the US the OK to carry out the attacks in the first place in Pakistan.

Tarpley: Well I guess this has become a big political issue inside Pakistan for understandable reasons. I regard this entire policy as appalling and indefensible; it has gone on much too long. The Afghan war is a war that should have never occurred and it's now gone on for 12 or 13 years. It's high time that it simply ended and there's no reason to wait for 2014. It would be important to stop these useless and senseless killings as soon as possible.

What we are dealing with of course is the ultimate bankruptcy of a foreign policy.

The calling card of the United States around the world is now the predator drone that kills people without warning from the sky and these are civilians, women, children, innocent bystanders and so forth.

We know that [US President Barack] Obama every Tuesday conducts a terror-Tuesday session in the White House, where he goes through what used to be called proscription. He has an alleged list of targets that people that the US intelligence committee tells him have to be killed and he decides about killing them.

Part of this is inside Pakistan and it is an issue because people who are in the areas that are hit by the drones feel that the central government in Pakistan has betrayed them by allowing these things to go on, which of course is what they have done. So, part of the strategy has nothing to do with the alleged killing of terrorists, but it has to do with trying to breakup Pakistan, which was the main purpose of the US presence in Afghanistan from the very beginning and of the surge in 2009 to try to export that Afghan civil war into Pakistan and to break up the country.

Press TV: Can you hear me Mr. Tarpley?

Tarpley: Vaguely. I'm having trouble with the audio.

Press TV: Basically our guest outside of Beirut has said that this is the cost that this is the price that has to be paid; your take sir.

Tarpley: I believe that we've actually had this debate before about conspiracy theories. I don't look for conspiracies, I simply am an empirical observer and I just try to observe what's happening. The thesis that the United States is in Afghanistan in order to deprive al-Qaeda of a base or staging area is perfectly absurd. The United States has supported the creation of what amounts to an al-Qaeda staging area which is now extended to all of Libya.

The United States with Secretary [of State John] Kerry of skull and bones and the lead is doing everything possible to deliver the nation of Syria into the hands of various versions of al-Qaeda. So that doesn't hold up.

In particular whatever the Afghan war was at the beginning in 2001 with the West Point Speech by Obama in December 2009, it fundamentally changed its character and it became even more markedly an attempt to take that long running Afghan civil war and push that into Pakistan.

Again [the US is] trying to exacerbate the divisions among the Pashtuns, Baluchis, Punjabis, Shins and the other groups like the Waziristan and tribal areas with the goal of breaking up Pakistan. If you don't see that that is the constant of foreign US policy, I don't know what to tell you because Sudan is divided into two parts and Iraq as the defector has been divided into three parts, Serbia has been carved and other countries are in the process of being broken. Libya may end up broken at the end of this and Syria may end up broken. So, the ultimate US policy is the destruction of the nations' state.

Mouracadeh So, may I ask you sir what is the constant of al-Qaeda sir? What is the constant of the regime in Syria? What is the constant of the former leader [Libyan dictator Muammar] Gaddafi? Can you just tell me, what is the constant of [former Iraqi dictator] Saddam Hussein? Just go on tell me, why do you talk about one constant and don't talk about the other?

Press TV: Did you understand the question?

Tarpley: I don't know if I've understood the question.

Press TV: He [Mr. Mouracadeh] wants to know what's the consequences. He's asking the consequences.

Mouracadeh I'm afraid not, no, I did not. No, I am just saying that the gentleman in Washington just said that the United States has certain constants that meant to destroy the whole area. I'm saying what is the constant of the people who are fighting the United States? In particular, al-Qaeda, what is the constant of al-Qaeda? Can he explain this to us?

Tarpley: The origin of al-Qaeda as I think is widely known is that it is the Arab legion created by the United States.

Mouracadeh Not the origin of al-Qaeda. What are they doing right now?

Tarpley: It varies. But it's the Arab legion created by the United States in Saudi Arabia during the Soviet presence in Afghanistan, who were designed to fight the Soviets.

Mouracadeh In 1979; it is 30 years later. Yeah, can you please tell me what is the constant of al-Qaeda right now?

Tarpley: Right, well, what we find today is the United States using al-Qaeda as essentially this kind of infantry and that is what we see in Libya and that is what we see in Syria, so that is what I think is the current form that this takes.

Mouracadeh For what purpose sir?

Tarpley: Again, the goal of the US policy is the destruction of the modern state; the mini state, micro state, failed state, rump state, war lords; but, to destroy political units that are big enough to defend themselves, fight back and say no.

Press TV: Mr. Tarpley your take on that, it seems that killing is relative I guess what our guest is saying. Tell me what your perspective is on what our viewer has said. That he said that it would just drive me crazy to imagine my woman and children just being killed by these drones. And basically we don't see this outrage that perhaps we should be seeing internationally when Afghans lose their lives and when Pakistanis are losing their lives; your take sir.

Tarpley: Well certainly in Pakistan this has become a cause of tremendous public outrage and I think every bit of it is fully justified. We have to look at the harvest of hate that is being sown against the United States in the world and I shudder to think what the implications of that are for the future. My only recommendation can be to stop this right now. The great principle of international relations is reciprocity; whatever you do to the other guy the other guy will eventually find a way to do to you. Let us not go down this road once again.

The presence of the US in Afghanistan after we've looked at the original 2001 reasons and the West Point 2009 reasons, right now it comes down to the political inertia of the Obama regime. In other words Obama's weakness as a leader, the weakness of his constituency, his inability to impose his will on the Pentagon.

Can anybody see a reason why these killings should go on? From 2013 into 2014, why should this presence be extended, more people bereaved, more people killed and maimed - there is no reason for it.

It's just that Obama because of his, certainly his lack of statesmanship, is unable to tell the Pentagon 'Well it's going to end now' rather than 12 or 18 months from now because certainly there were people in the Pentagon and the CIA; [former CIA director] General [David] Petraeus perhaps even more than any other, who wanted this to go on even longer.

They wanted more troops and more time and the futility of this I think is one of the great leading facts of the world today. This has to end, there is no purpose, killing is futile under these circumstances and it should be terminated at once.

Press TV: Mr. Tarpley it seems that a new version of the old west basically just taking them out as [former US President] George W. Bush said smoke them out of their caves. Your take on this, if everyone starts getting this type of perspective, what type of world are we looking at. Are we looking at one set of laws that the United States and its allies can provide and another set of laws for the others because there are many countries that would say that a lot of what the United States is doing in their respective countries are actually terrorists in nature themselves.

Tarpley: Right now it would appear that the drone violence and drone killings are a one-way street. The United States inflicts this on others and we've got a new basis, there's a new killer drone base in Niger, there's a new base in Djibouti in the horn of Africa. Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somali and Yemen all of these countries are all under attack.

Mouracadeh What about Mali?

Tarpley: But, here's the problem and the ones from Niger can fly certainly into much of Africa; this is not going to be a one-way street, other countries are developing drones quite quickly and eventually this will get into that area of reciprocity, which is what we need to avoid, I would suggest.

Mouracadeh How about Mali, have you tried Mali?

Tarpley: What we have is an international anarchy. I would compare it to what you had before World War I. 1914 is the great year of international anarchy.

Mouracadeh Who are the anarchists? You are the anarchist.

Tarpley: If the idea is that the drones can be used to kill anybody anywhere in the world that is the form of international anarchy that we've never seen and again we must turn away.

Press TV: Mr. Tarpley what about what he [Mr. Mouracadeh] has just said.

Tarpley: Concerning, if we want to talk about Mali, by all means. The tragic situation in Mali is a direct consequence of the destabilization of Libya. As long as you had Libya you had an element of law and order and military pacifications and stability for that huge ocean of sand.

Mouracadeh You had law and order under Gaddafi?!

Tarpley: Under Gaddafi yes indeed. Under Gaddafi that was a much more stable area.

Mouracadeh Yes. Law and order, you are responsible for what you are saying.

Tarpley: The people that are doing the killings in northern Mali are terrorists who have armed themselves out of the weapons dumps of Gaddafi, after the fall of Gaddafi. They've taken advantage of the chaos in Libya to spread that into Mali, but also notice the attempt to spread it into Algeria, which was I think an attempt to destabilize Algeria; a one country that was not interested in allowing any kind of destabilization after their terrible experiences in the mid-1990s.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
may be they do

while our goal is merger of afghanistan with Pakistan.

i guess we are much possible succesful so far when compared to the america.

NOTE:merger of only the region closer to pakistan

Country flag
may be they do

Your Government is helping to break Pakistan in half so this is highly unlikely.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Imran will be the biggest pushover in Pakistani history if he is elected 'US
will easily break Pakistan in half.
USA cant win against odd 20k taliban with more than 1 lac troops deployed and trillion dollar cost.

fact is USA has not won any war since world war 2.
be it vietnam,afghanistan or iraq.badly lost.

hope we cease relations with USA.we will think about them breaking pakistan later.

first priority should be to end relation with USA so to bring peace in pakistan i mean less terrorist activities in pakistan

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The headline itself made me laugh and call it a joke. Someone has lots of time on his hands to come up with such CTs

Country flag
USA cant win against odd 20k taliban with more than 1 lac troops deployed and trillion dollar cost.

hope we cease relations with USA.we will think about them breaking pakistan later.

first priority should be to end relation with USA so to bring peace in pakistan i mean less terrorist activities in pakistan
US strategy is not to win but destabilize and break Pakistan.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Imran will be the biggest pushover in Pakistani history if he is elected 'US
will easily break Pakistan in half.
old govt is long gone
next month on this date Imran will be the PM of Pakistan
PAkistan Zindabad ! - Farhan Bhaisahib - im looking forward to Serdar Imran Khan taking hold and i hope he gets enough numbers in parliament to actually be able t govern ! - if he is forced into a coalition then it's not a real hand given to him

i have a feeling he will play fair with india
but wherther big brother will like it or not ? i dont know
my orediction, if IMran gets in , is that they will watch and if he isnt complaint, they will get mussharaf back in !

as for the lead article - that has been said by webster tarplçey for a few years now, but there hasnt been any of even the slightest movement on the ground correspondingly - i think we have to dismiss it as a minor error by tarpley - after all now one is 100% correct ?

Last edited:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
may be they do

Alright everyone. Mark your calendars.

Thou hast the prophecy spoketh by the knowing
And soon shall it be revealed on thy skies of Pakistan

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
US went into Afghanistan because al-qaeda was there, and because of attack on WTC 20010911.

Al-Qaeda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After the Soviet withdrawal, Afghanistan was effectively ungoverned for seven years and plagued by constant infighting between former allies and various mujahideen groups.

Throughout the 1990s, a new force began to emerge. The origins of the Taliban (literally "students") lay in the children of Afghanistan, many of them orphaned by the war, and many of whom had been educated in the rapidly expanding network of Islamic schools (madrassas) either in Kandahar or in the refugee camps on the Afghan-Pakistani border.

According to Ahmed Rashid, five leaders of the Taliban were graduates of Darul Uloom Haqqania, a madrassa in the small town of Akora Khattak.[114] The town is situated near Peshawar in Pakistan, but largely attended by Afghan refugees.[114] This institution reflected Salafi beliefs in its teachings, and much of its funding came from private donations from wealthy Arabs. Bin Laden's contacts were still laundering most of these donations, using "unscrupulous" Islamic banks to transfer the money to an "array" of charities which serve as front groups for al-Qaeda, or transporting cash-filled suitcases straight into Pakistan.[115] Another four of the Taliban's leaders attended a similarly funded and influenced madrassa in Kandahar.

Many of the mujahideen who later joined the Taliban fought alongside Afghan warlord Mohammad Nabi Mohammadi's Harkat i Inqilabi group at the time of the Russian invasion. This group also enjoyed the loyalty of most Afghan Arab fighters.

The continuing internecine strife between various factions, and accompanying lawlessness following the Soviet withdrawal, enabled the growing and well-disciplined Taliban to expand their control over territory in Afghanistan, and it came to establish an enclave which it called the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan. In 1994, it captured the regional center of Kandahar, and after making rapid territorial gains thereafter, conquered the capital city Kabul in September 1996.

After the Sudanese made it clear, in May 1996, that bin Laden would never be welcome to return,[clarification needed] Taliban-controlled Afghanistan—with previously established connections between the groups, administered with a shared militancy,[116] and largely isolated from American political influence and military power—provided a perfect location for al-Qaeda to relocate its headquarters. Al-Qaeda enjoyed the Taliban's protection and a measure of legitimacy as part of their Ministry of Defense, although only Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates recognized the Taliban as the legitimate government of Afghanistan.

While in Afghanistan, the Taliban government tasked al-Qaeda with the training of Brigade 055, an elite part of the Taliban's army from 1997–2001. The Brigade was made up of mostly foreign fighters, many veterans from the Soviet Invasion, and all under the same basic ideology of the mujahideen. In November 2001, as Operation Enduring Freedom had toppled the Taliban government, many Brigade 055 fighters were captured or killed, and those that survived were thought to head into Pakistan along with bin Laden.[117]

Blackwater

there strategy is indeed to win but they cant.

like in war they will also be defeated in the strategy of breaking pakistan

No US strategy is to keep you on ICU( drip).

what you think how much time USA need to kick your A.ss

Blackwater

terrorist activities due to your clash of own ideology of Pakistan.

interestingly IraQ,Afghanistan and Vietnam are pro American today:lol::lol::lol:

Iraq which has 2nd largest oil reserve after your papa saudi is in american control:lol::lol:

saudi and kuwait already sold to ameriki:lol:

Blackwater

may be they do

While goal is there but nobody is there to kick from paki side:shocked::shocked::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
While goal is there but nobody is there to kick:shocked::shocked::lol::lol::lol:
US might use a Paki leader as a football and kick it to have a goal and the end result would be emergence of Greater Afganistan.

Very interesting historic match it would be.

Afgans deserve their land back which is behind Durand Line occupied by Pakis. :afghanistan:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles