US raises concern over India's 'business environment'

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Raise concerns. What else they can do? US does not have too many wealthy trading friends anyways.

--

Giving an example of India's national solar mission which requires domestic sourcing of contents, Sanchez said, "my concern is that many of the policies designed to protect Indian industries will only hurt them in the end".
Why wouldn't they worry about policies which screwed US economy?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Well, we Indians think GoI is not doing enough for domestic industries. Damn no one is satisfied in the world. Tough place this world :D

Reactions: nrj

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Weren't yanks themselves protecting there own industries just last year ?

Falcon

How hard it is for them to understand that we would like to have technology growth in India, not import growth. If we keep importing everything, what happens when suddenly they get upset and stop trading with us. They have done that in the past and those fears would always be there in India minds.

trackwhack

You know whats really scary - If the government is bribed into opening up the agricultural sector and deregulating it. We're fucked. Monsanto is gonna come in and then we are up shits creek.
Another major worry I have is deregulation of retail. Will Walmart's entry flood our market with cheap Chinese plastic. God its scary.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Same thing was said when we does started to open up. Result is more Indian companies buying western ones than the other way around. India has competed where it had to.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
You know whats really scary - If the government is bribed into opening up the agricultural sector and deregulating it. We're fucked. Monsanto is gonna come in and then we are up shits creek.
Another major worry I have is deregulation of retail. Will Walmart's entry flood our market with cheap Chinese plastic. God its scary.
That would indeed be disastrous for our poor farmers and round the corner shop keepers.

It should never be allowed.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Same thing was said when we does started to open up. Result is more Indian companies buying western ones than the other way around. India has competed where it had to.
We never made tv's, cars, mobiles etc so it was fine.

But tesco and the like are not welcome.

Country flag
Obama started the protectionist policy by attacking outsourcing and reducing H-1 visa numbers.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
That would indeed be disastrous for our poor farmers and round the corner shop keepers.

It should never be allowed.
Actually no. It would be good. Farmers will get to sell direct to these people and the middle men will. E cut to reduce costs. Farmers will be better off.
The friendly neighborhood kiranawala will never go out of business and that has been proved already despite so many malls flooding in.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Actually no. It would be good. Farmers will get to sell direct to these people and the middle men will. E cut to reduce costs. Farmers will be better off.
The friendly neighborhood kiranawala will never go out of business and that has been proved already despite so many malls flooding in.
The farmers in uk are already moaning that since these mega corporations now are entirely there buyers so they dictate prices which results in farmers not making any profits.

trackwhack

The disaster cited is if Agriculture is deregulated Yusuf. Read up about Monsanto and how patents on genetically modified seeds have changed agriculture in the US. Well, in the US its still ok even though a lot of farmers eventually had to sell out and seek alternate careers. But in India we have 700 million farmers. Do the math.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The farmers in uk are already moaning that since these mega corporations now are entirely there buyers so they dictate prices which results in farmers not making any profits.
Don't know about UK but India is too big a place. Demand and supply will take care of the price.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Well I was talking about retail sector. Do lead me to a source on deregulation of agriculture that helps me understand that.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
we have reached a stage where outsiders are telling us what needs to be done. what a shame!

is someone in the government even listening?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
US itself is indulged in protectionism from last 3yrs & now teaching others about opening up market?

Don't need these salesman to tell us if we should open market & in which sector. I'd prefer slow growth over bubble market which will eventually blow out in these volatile economic times when everyone is approaching each other for bailouts.

This guy is telling us what will hurt us in the end, he should first go over US policies which screwed them in the end.

Hows Plaza accord working out now?

trackwhack

Well I was talking about retail sector. Do lead me to a source on deregulation of agriculture that helps me understand that.
:)

Well I am not going to do the donkey work, thats what google is for. But I will summarize

1) In 1980 the first lab created "lifeform" was patented. Diamond v. Chakrabarty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2) Monsanto started as a company that created seed variants that were genetically modified. Mosanto seeds were resistant to a herbicide called Round-up. Basically round-up killed everything but the monsanto crop. Since there were no other plants sucking nutrients from the soil, yields went up. So far so good.

3) Trouble started when Monsanto patented these seeds. So as a farmer, I cannot save seeds for the next generation. Every year I have to buy new seeds from Monsanto. Monsanto keeps records and does audits on farmers who try to save seeds and then takes them to court and the farmer basically is fucked.

4) Trouble further \escalated when farmers who do not use Monsanto started getting pulled into lawsuits - This is how it worked
Assume you and I are farmers and we have farmland that shares a common border. Lets suppose you use Monsanto seeds and I use regular seeds. When the crop grows,, obviously there is going to be cross pollination. Hence my crops are going to get cross - pollinated with Monsanto genes. Now I save the seed for the next year. And Monsanto comes and audits my crops (for the record, they dont need permissions to come into MY property and audit MY crops). They will obviously find that my crops have Monsanto genes. And their record shows I did not buy their seeds. They will take me to court stating I saved seeds from a previous harvest or from another farmer who grew Monsanto crop in a previous harvest. So I go to court and say I did not and that it was because my seeds cross pollinated and I cannot do anything about it because I am not GOD and cannot control nature and tell the bees which pollen to use to pollinate my crops. You know what the court says. The fucking court says, it is my responsibility to ensure that my seeds are not cross pollinated with Monsanto genes and that I have to pay Monsanto for violating their fucking patents. Yes, believe it. Thousands of farmers have lost their land, their money and basically have had to settle out of court for large sums of money that they are not allowed to disclose. So basically what the US justice system and government have said to American farmers is - you buy seeds from Monsanto and farm or don't farm. Find another job.

Now there may be some who say so what. This is so what.
1) From over a 100 varieties of corn that was cultivated in continental USA a 100 years back, there is now one single variety that is cultivated. God forbid, there isn't a genetic mutation that wipes that species out. Fearing this there are people who have started their own seed repositories just in case.
2) Monsanto have already captured 95% of the market in Soy and Corn in the US. Their policies have resulted in massive consolidation of farmland and today 98% of all farmland is owned by corporations. Just 2% is owned by your average Joe farmer. Due to this and agricultural subsidies, the government basically decides the price of farm produce. To avail subsidies you have to meet a minimum threshold in terms of total output. If as a small farmer you dont meet the threshold and hence , cant make a net profit, you only option is to sell out. So agricultural consolidation was forced rather than opted for.

Now I dont ever see these things ever happening in India, but imagine if it does. Where are you going to find employment for 700 million displaced farmers?

But dont believe all I say. Do read up and arrive at your own conclusions. I am a little biased because I plan to retire in a year and start farming myself. :)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles