US Pilots on IAF performance During Cope India 2

arkem8

Country flag
To understand how the exercises bring value, these are the transcripts of two pilots Moose and Ragin who flew in Cope India the second one. Their posts were removed later but archived by then.

Quote:Ragins

As far as what is posted on the internet regarding news stories and who beat who, you can make your own decisions. I would venture to say that the stories of the outcome of the exercise were already written before we flew 10.5 hours across the South Pacific to get there. What really happened there? Both sides had set of notional missiles with notional ranges. Guns kills were based on aspect and range with no regard to stability of WEZ or tracking solutions. Both sides fought hard, but also had integrity for the debrief and no-one tried to skirt around the facts. Sometimes the IAF killed the Vipers and sometimes the we killed the IAF...but a lot of the operations were not designed as IAF vs USAF. Most were mixed configs on both sides.

We got some gun footage and so did they. They made some mistakes and so did we...that's what happens and you learn from it. But, throughout the entire exercise, there was not one safety incident. The USAF lost no fighter sorties due to maintenance the entire two weeks and the IAF only lost one. For two weeks of training, both sides got more out of their training than they probably would in two months.

Quote:Moose69

We started off on the first day with mixed formations doing fingertip flying, which was really cool. Next was some BFM, ACM, and Tactical intercepts. Then came the BVR Air Combat Tactics with us flying in mixed LFE formations with Su-30s, Mig 29s, Mig-27s, Mig-21 Bisons, and Mirage 2000s. The last phase was HVAA (High Value Asset) OCA and DCA. We did get into close combat with every jet they had and it was awesome... Their Sus and Migs really have a lot of power and it was impressive to see how they handled in BFM. The SU-30 was soooo easy to spot those because it makes the F-15 look like a Viper. One thing to note on the BFM strategies was that their pilots would do maneuvers that we had not really thought of before...I am not saying that we didn't know how to react to it, I just mean that when we saw them do a certain maneuver we would think "wow, I never thought of doing that before"....so it was good learning on both sides.

Lets start with the Bison in WVR and BVR...thse are all on the unclass side of course. There were never any true 1v1 BFM against Bisons because, lets face it, it's an old airframe and can in no way turn with the Viper. There were, however, some TI to ACM with Fulcrums and Bisons together. Now keep in mind that we were fighting with fictitious weapons, and the Bison felt it had the best advantage to blow through a WVR engagement and "light the candle". On the LFE side, they did openly (because I was in an integrated "package" with them) stick with the floggers as strikers. I thought the fact that they would also do TI and 1v1 ACM with Fulcrums was interesting too.
Now the Fulcrum, I thought, has the most powerful engines as a ratio of aircraft size. Everytime one would take off it would do a slow climb at high AOA and then power out of it, a few times it looked as if it was going to stall at any moment...it was truely impressive to watch. The guys who had incentive rides in the fulcrum were impressived with it's power and maneuverability. It is a large aircraft and was not too difficult to spot in the air unless they were using haze or the sun to their advantage. Their engines tended to smoke significantly.

As for BFM, we were all impressed with how the Fulcrum performed...very close to the viper.

The Su-30 can perform very well, especially with an experienced pilot who knows his airplane. Their squadron commander was an outstanding pilot whom we all respect deeply. If the Su-30 ever gets into WVR without being spotted (you can see the guy a looong way off), then you are going to have your hands full.

I am sure that they are impressed with the USAF F-16s but whether or not we were there to sell them Vipers is way above my pay-grade. As for the MKIs, they only did BFM for a few days and then split. The MKI is the pride of their fleet and the SU-30ks are eventually going away. There were only a couple of pilots that flew against them and from what I am told it handled nicely. I am not sure of what I can talk about in that area.

The Mirages are great in BFM because they are hard to see. Their delta wings give them a good instant turn capabililty too. I would say that in a BVR arena it is essential to have the aircraft on your radar if you want to do anything...In the dogfight arena.....if you don't have visual on the aircraft then you have already lost.
I don't think I can get into details about radars but the Mirage seemed like a pretty nice jet in all arenas.

As for flying hours, one of the Flanker pilots told me openly that he gets about 200 hours a year in the front seat...Their higher ranking dudes fly in the back seat and act as Mission Commanders.
I would feel comfortable against the MKI only in BVR...the thing has thrust vectoring for crying out loud

Having flow in mixed formations now with all of their jets i would say that they are very capable and probably the best air force in Asia. Some of their planes are old but the skill of the IAF pilots make them hold their own. I do think that the Viper holds up very well with most of them, however, because we are downright hard to see and our maneuverability is awesome. Getting slow with some of these jets is not advised.

Quote:Ragins

One question that I would like to address is that of the MiG-29 vs the Mirage. I had the priviledge to fly against the Fulcrum in ACM and the M2000 in BFM. I would say that the Fulcrum has the exclusive reign of power, but would not weight that in excess of the M2000's ability to point it's nose (which is quite impressive...trust me). However, we did not get the chance to fly with the MiG-29s in BVR combat. The M2000s could hold their own quite well (in combat as well as on the golf course). Once again, I think it is a good example of the real question being of pilot, techinique, and above all else reaction making the real difference.
From a BR guru....Enjoy

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
So in the end they both are telling that the decision making capabilities and the tactical overtures made by the IAF were much better than what the Viper pilots expected.

And they have almost gauged the capability of almost all the aircraft that they will be facing in the next 25 years of air combat. Well thats the truth.

Shirman

Country flag
So in the end they both are telling that the decision making capabilities and the tactical overtures made by the IAF were much better than what the Viper pilots expected.

And they have almost gauged the capability of almost all the aircraft that they will be facing in the next 25 years of air combat. Well thats the truth.
Well i guess things also change very quickly......India immediately addressed the Data link situation by employing Isreali IAI made ODLs......

Last edited by a moderator:

Shirman

Country flag
^^^^ By the way also want to add to the above post that the Americans including this Air major dude from the above video were pretty much pissed off with the French mainly b'cause for their maneuvers......:p The french really scooped lot of Info of American tactics from their exercises by employing ''sensors" on their planes.......

I wanted to know from @ Armand2REP and @haloweene which were those sensors on rafale this above air major is talking about.........

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
very old story and drama....

Fighting a swordman with Russian dandas... exercises are conducted based on equality and not disparies. No one will learn anything..

Shirman

Country flag
very old story and drama....

Fighting a swordman with Russian dandas... exercises are conducted based on equality and not disparies. No one will learn anything..
Well Sir any experience against F-16 is worth its value be it U.S., Thai, or Singaporean.....As for F-15s well u never know if Pakis have f-15s donated by Saudi sheikhs in any future wars with our beloved neighbour

halloweene

^^^^ By the way also want to add to the above post that the Americans including this Air major dude from the above video were pretty much pissed off with the French mainly b'cause for their maneuvers......:p The french really scooped lot of Info of American tactics from their exercises by employing ''sensors" on their planes.......

I wanted to know from @ Armand2REP and @haloweene which were those sensors on rafale this above air major is talking about.........
Spectra has recording capabilities (Elint, Sigint)

Btw, this officer is retird and talking to other retired officers...

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles