US Offers Stinger Missiles To India

Immanuel

Country flag
I think Stinger remains the most combat proven and effective MANPADS out there, it has been upgraded over the years and it's very light weight of just 14kgs, the newest F block 2 version has a range out to 7600 m and should knock quite a punch. Due to volumes produced it should be pretty economical to buy and locally produce as well. Mistral and RBS-70 aren't truly manpads and requires a little set-up which takes time which could mean death during war.

I think instead of just buying it may be we should have a joint development with the US or Russia to develop new MANPADS based on the Strela or Stinger. Take the best features and develop something new with even lower weight with heavy use of composites where possible.

I think in this day and age we shouldn't just be buying something off the shelf, if resources are put into it, I am sure we could have a system ready in a couple years for testing, 3 years down the line they could be tested extensively and put into production.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I think instead of just buying it may be we should have a joint development with the US or Russia to develop new MANPADS based on the Strela or Stinger. Take the best features and develop something new with even lower weight with heavy use of composites where possible.
Greater range seems to be the focus of future upgrades.

Man-portable air-defense systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fourth generation missiles, such as the U.S. Stinger Block 2, and missiles believed to be under development in Russia, Japan, France, and Israel could incorporate focal plane array guidance systems and other advanced sensor systems, which will permit engagement at greater ranges.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles