US: Nine dead as White gunman opens fire on Black church

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
US: Nine dead as White gunman opens fire on Black church

by Thomas WATKINS

Washington (AFP) -- A white gunman was at large early Thursday after he shot and killed 9 people at a historic black church in downtown Charleston, South Carolina in a gruesome attack police called a hate crime.

Worshippers were attending a prayer meeting in the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church on Wednesday evening when the gunman walked in and opened fire, Charleston Police Chief Gregory Mullen said.

The shooting comes at a time of heightened racial tensions in America, after several high-profile killings of unarmed black men at the hands of white police in recent months led to riots and a national debate on race.

In Wednesday's shooting, eight people were killed inside the church, and another victim died at a trauma center shortly after. Several other people were wounded.

"At this point, we have nine victims in this hideous crime that has been committed," Mullen told journalists.

Police said the suspect was a clean-shaven white man in his early 20s. As of 2:00 am Thursday (0600 GMT), he remained at large and officers swarmed across the city to try to find him.

The shooting's designation as a hate crime means federal authorities will help with the investigation and could assist in an eventual prosecution.Officers also investigated a possible bomb threat after the shooting, but several hours later gave the all-clear.

The Holy City
Charleston is known locally as "The Holy City," due to its large number of churches and historical mix of immigrant ethnic groups that brought a variety of creeds to the city on the Atlantic coast.

"This is the most unspeakable and heart-breaking tragedy," Mayor Joseph Riley said.

"People (were) in prayer on a Wednesday evening. A ritual coming together, praying and worshipping God. To have an awful person come in and shoot them is, is inexplicable."

Officials did not immediately release the names or any details of the victims.According to its website, the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church it is the oldest such church in America's southern states.

"The only reason someone can walk in to church and shoot people praying is out of hate," Riley said. "It is the most dastardly act that one can possibly imagine.""We'll never understand what motivates anyone to enter one of our places of worship and take the life of another," South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley said in a statement.

Because of the shooting, Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush canceled campaign events that had been planned for Thursday in Charleston."Governor Bush's thoughts and prayers are with the individuals and families affected by this tragedy," his campaign said in a statement.

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton also tweeted her condolences."Heartbreaking news from Charleston - my thoughts and prayers are with you all," she wrote.

The incident once again brings to the fore the racial tensions that persist in many communities in America, more than five decades after the Civil Rights Act was enacted to outlaw racial and other forms of discrimination.

High-profile police killings of unarmed black men have prompted riots, as well as much soul-searching and national debate in recent months as America grapples with its troubled racial past.

Charleston is a popular tourist destination known for its cobblestone streets, Southern cuisine and nearby beaches and islands. The city is also known outside the United States for its namesake 1920s dance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@jackprince @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Rowdy @alphacentury @sydsnyper @anupamsurey @VIP
@Razor @brational @Bangalorean @Mad Indian @cobra commando @hit&run @Blackwater
@ersakthivel @OneGrimPilgrim @Vishwarupa @Srinivas_K
@pmaitra

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
They should keep their house in order first before pointing fingers at others.
Why is Mr Obama silent? Martin Luthar would have been really sad today.

Mr Obama should think 100 times before taking name of "Gandhi" telling India for communal harmony whereas his own country is burning with serious Racism and hate Crimes against minorities.

I saw a cartoon where Gandhi was hitting Obama with his danda, can anyone please post it?

Srinivas_K

Country flag
They forget the christ teachings, do exactly opposite and wonder about Indians and Gandhi !

Indians are peace loving no need for a certificate from anyone.

Mr Obama should think 100 times before taking name of "Gandhi" telling India for communal harmony whereas his own country is burning with serious Racism and hate Crimes against minorities.

I saw a cartoon where Gandhi was hitting Obama with his danda, can anyone please post it?

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Even Christians of America are not feeling safe under hindutva government of Modi. But duh ! what else can be expected under Modi's rule ?

Martin Luther King, Jr.
would have been shocked at the religious and racial intolerance that America has witnessed in recent years.
:tsk:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Even Christians of America are not feeling safe under hindutva government of Modi. :powah!: But duh ! what else can be expected under Modi's rule ?

Martin Luther King, Jr.
would have been shocked at the religious and racial intolerance that America has witnessed in recent years.
:tsk:

All these racial crimes and violence is a TIGHT SLAP on Obama and a reminder he should first clean his home.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
So now when's our PM's next visit to Ammerikkah?!
Shriman MODI should definitely troll Mr Obama about how Martin Luthar would be sad today to see US being the same RACIST LAND of WHITES.

MODI should teach him to try Swacchta Abhiyan of the hearts of RACIST WHITES of US which is filthy.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Shriman MODI should definitely troll Mr Obama about how Martin Luthar would be sad today to see US being the same RACIST LAND of WHITES.

MODI should teach him to try Swacchta Abhiyan of the hearts of RACIST WHITES of US which is filthy.

atleast an urgent phone-call for a ghutti is needed; ANI should then tweet about it as is the norm. we all will then have a field day over the heads of the fiberal teetar on twitter!

BTW, uncle sam should now officially be declared as the patron saint of psychopaths, grade-I morons, attention-and-fortune-seeking wh0res, and evanjihadis by the vatican.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
atleast an urgent phone-call for a ghutti is needed; ANI should then tweet about it as is the norm. we all will then have a field day over the heads of the fiberal teetar on twitter!

BTW, uncle sam should now officially be declared as the patron saint of psychopaths, grade-I morons, attention-and-fortune-seeking wh0res, and evanjihadis by the vatican.
MODI can troll Obama that he saw Martin Luthar in dream about the sad state of RACISM in US.

A 2 min phone convo to convey condolence for the victims.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Anybody knows what the 'SFJ' and other org have to say about these peaceful incidents in murica ? waise toh bade vocal hote hai when it comes to bashing India.

Simple_Guy

FBI director says mass killing was not terrorism

“Terrorism is act of violence done or threatened to in order to try to influence a public body or citizenry, so it’s more of a political act,” he said at a press conference in Baltimore. “Based on what I know so far I don’t see it as a political act. That doesn’t make it any less horrific… but terrorism has a definition under federal law.”

Twitter users slammed Comey for his statements, claiming that the Charleston shooting represents a long history of American security organizations downplaying domestic terrorism.

The recent discovery of Dylann Roof’s manifesto, seems to also confirm that he intended to commit an act of terrorism. The text, scraped from his website contains chilling statements.

“I have no choice. I am not in the position to, alone, go into the ghetto and fight. I chose Charleston because it is most historic city in my state, and at one time had the highest ratio of blacks to Whites in the country. We have no skinheads, no real KKK, no one doing anything but talking on the internet. Well someone has to have the bravery to take it to the real world, and I guess that has to be me.”

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
white christian terrorists are the worst scum of earth after muslim terrorist :lol:

pmaitra

This is a very sad event.

They are saying that the guy who carried this out wanted to start a race war. He did what he did in Charleston, South Carolina, and drove up to North Carolina, and was arrested at a place called Shelby. I have been to Shelby many times. Never been to Charleston though.

Charleston has a history of being a landing spot for slaves.

RIP to the victims.

pmaitra

Perhaps these pictures might answer your question?

upload_2015-6-20_23-58-52.jpeg

upload_2015-6-20_23-59-32.jpeg

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles