US may operate surveillance drones from Andamans

WMD

Off course India can't be part of NATO.
No we don't need to be MNNA.

What we are taking about is the emergence of NATO like organization in Asia with countries like US, Aus, Japan India as the principle states. It is imperative that India works in this direction
NATO is a military alliance. The major threat perceived by NATO is Russia. Russia is also a major ally and strategic partner of India.
A similar alliance to counter PRC in Asia will also have US at its core. Pakistan is also a major ally of US in Asia, but has a strategic relationship with China, as well as its biggest military customer. So its role becomes conflicted in case of such an alliance.
An alliance with NATO allies is unfeasible for India because of all the above reasons.
International co-operation between countries is good but that does not merit a US base in Indian soil.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
As if US cares that much for the Indian cause. In a hypothetical scenario of a war between India and China, expect lip service from such an alliance.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
We lost our independence in foreign policy the moment we banked (rather bowed) upon the US to take action against terrorists after 26/11. It is one thing to garner international support, quite another to run to one country to ask them to prosecute the terrorists in Pak. It was a disgrace and blew off the charade of our independence in foreign policy. No other respectable country would tolerate an attack on their soil and not retaliate themselves. So, anyone stating that we need to preserve independence in foreign policy is really asking too much from this govt.

But that apart, it is unlikely the USN would station its assets in Indian territory, no matter how important they may be. Primarily because they don't need to. The IN and USN have a very well established co-operation understanding amongst each other, for the mutual benefit of both parties. The IN is sharing the data gathered near the Malacca Straits by its underwater hydrophone listening stations, the ASW patrols by ships and MPAs with the USN.

In turn the USN is analysing the data received from IN platforms and matching them with the data captured by their sensors, providing a clearer picture of the intrusions by PLAAN subs into IOR. This sharper picture is being shared with the IN.Also, it is understood that some additional data too is being shared, what though one can only speculate.

Some might suggest that USN is not required and IN can do this role themselves, especially with the arrival of the P8i. The answer to that is NO. The USN has conducted extensive sub patrols inside Chinese waters even, tracking and stalking PLAAN subs and ships. Alongwith this the ASW patrols by the USN and the SOSUS grid and the hydrophone network they have in SCS, they have generated accoustic signatures of pretty much every PLAN ship and sub that has been deployed. The IN simply does not have such an extensive database. It has to rely on the USN for positive identification of the Sub.

This will change in time, as our own database gets better and more accurate.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Yeah right. And then we slave for the US. Get over your patronizing of the United states, the only vile nation to have used nukes, twice, when it was not even necessary.
The sound you just heard was this thread going totally off the rails. :rolleyes:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
What would be the actual benefits and costs for India? What could India get out of the deal? Some posts in this thread address these questions and they would be a good subject for an article for DFI/Security Analysis.

average american

Deep down, and afraid to admit it, the only way India can contain Chinese expansion, or defeat China in a conflict or war is if it has the USA as an ally.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Deep down, and afraid to admit it, the only way India can contain Chinese expansion, or defeat China in a conflict or war is if it has the USA as an ally.
Or India can let China and US fight it out and deal with whomever remains standing...

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Okay, lets just hold our dogs. We and US are not alliance. We just have teamed up against Chinese.
The second Chinese threat is neutralized we won't be in the same side.
Lets not rush in a relationship like Pakistan and think our way through.
As Mr. W.G.Ewald suggested lets make sure this US-China rivalry last as long as possible.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Buddy, you really need to study the Geography of Indo-China border.
US present or not doesn't make much of difference there.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
with all due respect sir,do you really think that millions of Indians will be willing to lay their lives in case of a nuclear war?i mean,these are the ordinary people who are more concerned about earning their livelihood than they care about the nation!i mean if you think that DFI is the only platform to judge the patriotism of the common Indians then i must say that you have failed to understand the common masses of India.hell yeah there are thousands of nationalists like you and me in this country but our percentage is insignificant when compared with the total population of this country.the larger section of our population don't want to get involved in any kind of a war and beleive me they don't give a hoot about the national security!
lastly what make you think that the G.O.I. will have the gut to nuke our enemies!
Even 10% would take the count in the millions but since im optamistic im thinking atleast 1/4th ie 25% will come forward when the need arises.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Even 10% would take the count in the millions but since im optamistic im thinking atleast 1/4th ie 25% will come forward when the need arises.
For the heck of it, let's do some calculations:
1200 M people. Lets leave the women out for now and a bit over 50% is male in India: So lets assume 650 M. Around 2/3 will be fit for military service => 430M.
Depending on the seriousness of the war, b/w 10% and 50% of the above will fight. So, that's b/w 40M and 210M. Take the minima, i.e 40M.
My question how will we arm these many people :notsure:
Or am I doing some shitty math ?

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
For the heck of it, let's do some calculations:
1200 M people. Lets leave the women out for now and a bit over 50% is male in India: So lets assume 650 M. Around 2/3 will be fit for military service => 430M.
Depending on the seriousness of the war, b/w 10% and 50%% of the above will fight. So, that's b/w 40M and 210M. Take the minima, i.e 40M.
My question how will we arm these many people :notsure:
One would assume all wouldn't be on the front lines simultanously, more like replacing fallen soldiers immediately. But obviously we need more weapons, one of the reasons we should be self dependent atleast in basic arms and ammunation.

Reactions: WMD

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
One would assume all wouldn't be on the front lines simultanously, more like replacing fallen soldiers immediately. But obviously we need more weapons, one of the reasons we should be self dependent atleast in basic arms and ammunation.
Need: Private sector, indigenous industries, right to bear firearms...

p2prada

Singapore's in the American pocket. Why would they need Andamans?

desicanuk

Thanks but ---- off. The US has no business half way around the world from where they are.
Typical anti-American rant of a lefty!!Get off your high horse.Put India ahead of your outdated China friendly ideology.The way things are moving we need Uncle Sam and Japan to fend off PRC!!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Americans are almost everywhere with permission, Mainly working around with us..

desicanuk

Yeah right. And then we slave for the US. Get over your patronizing of the United states, the only vile nation to have used nukes, twice, when it was not even necessary.
We would be better off slaving for US than your buddies in PRC.As for patronizing of a foreign power you conveniently forgot the communist Congress's Treaty Of Friendship with the former Soviet Union!!Damn your ideology.Put Indian interest ahead of everything.Learn something from the Chinese.

desicanuk

Never!

USA or for that matter any country can never be allowed to have a base on Indian soil. It goes against the very fabric of India.

We need security now ? fu.k off, worst comes to worse we have nukes and hundreds of millions Indians willing to lay down there lives for India.
What fabric?If there is any its in tatters and about to dissolve under the present leadership.This kind of unpragmatic stance will sink India faster than Titanic

Global Defence

New threads

Articles