US diplomat in row over 'skin dirty & dark like Tamilians' remark

Param

What i think about the Tamil people is that,they dont care about what his original background is,or where he comes from,as long as he has completely surrendered to the Tamil culture,to the Tamil language,to become one among them,being them,they will leave no stone unturned to make you at home.If somebody genuinely loves them,they love him back twofold.Other wise there is no way to explain the phenomenon like MGR(a Malayali Nair),Rajnikanth(a Marathi Gaekwad)and many others....I dont think Tamils should give this up,it hasn't harmed them at all.
But when you see that this trend does not exist any where else in the country it's a bit worry some.
Besides the names that you mentioned had larger than Life images. And the people who are the most influenced by this larger than life image are the poor and the poorest of the poor.
You may not know that the educated middle class in the 70's & 80's often preffered the DMK but the poor were very staunch supporters of MGR's AIADMK.

S.A.T.A

In Kerala almost every person from palakkad is considered to be,unless he demonstrates its otherwise,a half Tamil and should necessarily have that Palakkad Iyer accent.Palakkad accent was immortalized by Bhaghyaraj in the character of Palakkad madhavan,in the movie 'Andha Yezhu Naatkal'.Its a movie that can still create a laugh riot.

S.A.T.A

But when you see that this trend does not exist any where else in the country it's a bit worry some.
Besides the names that you mentioned had larger than Life images. And the people who are the most influenced by this larger than life image are the poor and the poorest of the poor.
You may not know that the educated middle class in the 70's & 80's often preffered the DMK but the poor were very staunch supporters of MGR's AIADMK.
Thats because MK did not have MGR's charisma,not a certian jayalalitha for a sidekick : ) ...I dont think the MGR phenomenon will happen again,Rajinikanth has already come to terms with that.Tamil people also have lost that innocence,where they internalized the larger than life image of a hero,with a bull whip and a golden heart.probably for the good.

Phenom

What i meant was such comments by western Diplomats and leaders against colored people are not new.I was only suspecting the timing of this report and the publicity it is getting.
If it received no coverage then people would say the national media doesn't care about Tamils. My point is there is no conspiracy behind the media coverage to this incidence. Even I don't believe she meant to insult Tamils, if she did, she would not have made the comment in front of a largely Tamil audience. But still what she said was wrong, even-though it was just poor phrasing of words.

The only thing this incidence shows is the poor quality of US foreign service, She is the vice-consulate in Chennai and she still manages to put her foot in her mouth.

Param

What i think about the Tamil people is that,they dont care about what a individuals original background is,or where he comes from,as long as he has completely surrendered to the Tamil culture,to the Tamil language,to become one among them,being them,they will leave no stone unturned to make you at home.If somebody genuinely loves them,they love him back twofold.Other wise there is no way to explain the phenomenon like MGR(a Malayali Nair),Rajnikanth(a Marathi Gaekwad)and many others....I dont think Tamils should give this up,it hasn't harmed them at all.
The harm has already been done. I do not want to openly talk about it here since it will create more hatred.And it is not just limited to Tamilians in India.
I am not referring to anyone in particular.
When outsiders start gaining a foothold and increase their influence in almost every sphere you slowly loose your clout and influence.Identity policy is not irrational, it often has a just cause and purpose.

We ( us Indians) do not live in utopia. What is visible is not always true.All linguistic, ethnic groups are not exactly living in perfect harmony and love for each other. There are hidden agendas, jealousies and hatred that the common man does not see being executed by the vicious ones.

I will just give the example of the SL issue_
A large number of people in my state think that it is one particular national party and its dead leader who are responsible for the mess in SL post 1987.They even believe the sense of revenge of one particular family was responsible for the 2009 genocide.

That cannot be far from the truth. Ofcourse the Tigers were a brutal outfit, but some people used exaggerations to justify their destruction at the cost of Tens of thousands of lives.They did not bring the war to an end but instead put an end to the resistance of a minority because of its ethnic links with millions in TN.

Politicians are public figures who often become shock absorbers.The ones in the background pushing files and influencing decisions hardly get noticed.

Who were they? They are the ones who influenced very decision made from 1987 to 2009. Also called the ****** Mafia, with its stranglehold on the corridors of power in our country.Look at the list of senior diplomats and senior most bureaucrats, all of them come from the same group. Most Goddamn successors and predecessors in the past decade belong to this group.

The latest appointment to the US of a lady is a fine example.
should I even talk about the Foreign office?
The Mafia is so influential that even prominent politicians get shunted.

Alas TN and Tamils outside the country have been victims and unfortunately many have not even realised this.

I have worked in only a couple of MNCs in the South. And I have seen the same brand of people in the workplace.They have the same attitude, same behaviour and the same stranglehold in the management.
But not all of them are bad, many are very good people.

I am only saying this so that Tamilians do not become naive.

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I have to say, Tamilians are probably the most closely-knit ethnic group in India (based on my experience). They have a sense of community and unity that I wish other Indian ethnic groups had.

I mean, put a Telugu guy from Telangana and a Telugu guy from Andhra in the same room and within five minutes they'll have an excuse to kill each other.

pankaj nema

Country flag
It looks like that the diplomat wants to be thrown out or is looking for an excuse to return home

Either she apologises and takes back her statements or she should be thrown out

sanjay

dark skin is not particular to Tamils - lots of people from other parts have equally dark skin

and plus Tamil is a language - not every Tamil speaker is dark-skinned

shaka

^^^ what are you trying to say?

America should have some self respect and should call her back. Give Americans few days, if they don't do it then India should give her 7 days to pack her bags.

Really Indian people have lost their self respect being under 1000 years of foreign rule. Actually i respect the American more that she has the guts to come to a foreign country and spit on their face. Want proof, Indian diplomat in US should try calling white people "white t****" or black people "black n******" and see what happens.

Sorry for ranting

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
^^^ what are you trying to say?

America should have some self respect and should call her back. Give Americans few days, if they don't do it then India should give her 7 days to pack her bags.

Really Indian people have lost their self respect being under 1000 years of foreign rule. Actually i respect the American more that she has the guts to come to a foreign country and spit on their face. Want proof, Indian diplomat in US should try calling white people "white t****" or black people "black n******" and see what happens.

Sorry for ranting
I agree with what you are saying, but India has not been under foreign rule for 1000 years. That imaginary fact is itself a product of foreign rule.

Param

I have to say, Tamilians are probably the most closely-knit ethnic group in India (based on my experience). They have a sense of community and unity that I wish other Indian ethnic groups had.

I mean, put a Telugu guy from Telangana and a Telugu guy from Andhra in the same room and within five minutes they'll have an excuse to kill each other.
No we are not the most closely knit ethnic group in India. Have you heard of the Tamil Crab story?

Have you observed Malayalees and their sense of community? Inside and outside India?

S.A.T.A

We Malayalis too have a similar story,except the humble frog takes the place of the exotic crab.Iam surprised,i thought the crab/frog story was made up exclusive to instruct the world on the nature of gods of own people.

S.A.T.A

@param
If you are referring the current dominance of Kerala bureaucrats on the top of the pecking order in the Babudom,they are there because of their hard work,bit of luck,because Empanelment are based on seniority.Furthermore the domination of senior bureaucracy by certian state cadre,is a cyclical thing,the Kerala cadre domination,with Home Secy G.K Pillai,cabinet secy Chandrasekhar,Foreign secy Nirupama Roa,Principal secy to PM TKA Nair,is all set to end,with all the top honchos have already or are set to retire.There is already talk about Kerala handing over the baton to West Bengal.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles