US, China heading towards Cold War?

ice berg

I think if you will check none of those people were from China when they earned a Nobel Prize.

The Honorable Sir Charles Kuen Kao, GBM, KBE, FRS, FREng (born 4 November 1933) is a Chinese -born American and British physicist

Roger Yonchien Tsien (born February 1, 1952) is a Chinese American biochemist.

Daniel Chee Tsui is a Chinese -born American physicist

Steven Chu is an American physicist and the 12th United States Secretary of Energy

Yuan Tseh Lee (born November 19, 1936) is a Taiwanese -American chemist.

Samuel Chao Chung Ting (born January 27, 1936) is an American physicist who received the Nobel Prize in 1976,

Chen-Ning Franklin Yang (simplified Chinese: 杨振宁; traditional Chinese: 楊振寧; pinyin: Yáng Zhènníng) (born October 1, 1922)[1] is a Chinese-American physicist

The Honorable Sir Charles Kuen Kao, GBM, KBE, FRS, FREng (born 4 November 1933) is a Chinese -born American and British physicist

More history lessons? Lets see now 8 Chinese either born in US or that emigrated to the US has won Nobel Prizes for medicine, physics or chemistry, but no one in China has won a Nobel prize for medicine, physics or chemistry.. Israel has been in existance for less time then China, only have six million people compared to 1.5 billon chinese and have won ten nobel prizes. Thats right you all did win one Nobel prize,, that guy is still in prison.
So now you are telling us the citizenship determines the probability of Nobel Prize?:laugh:
Is that writen in your application for green card? If you become an american citizen, then your chance of becoming a Nobel Prize winner magically increase?

Quite a few of them received their education in China. Without those educations , they wouldnt contribute at all in US universities. Is that hard to understand for an average joe?:p You gonna take credit for that as well?

Regardless their place of birth, or when they changed their citizenships, they all contributed to the world of science. Unlike some average joe.

Israel? You got be kidding me.
Israel was supported by US with billions of dollars each year. Most of them received their higher education in other countries before they migrated to Israel. You gonna take credit away from those countries?

For better part of the 50s, 60s and 70s, China had to direct her resources to fight US, the soviet etc.
In case you still havnt figured that out, it means less money to build your country including your education system.

If you can barely feed your population, where is the incentives to create Nobel Prize winners?
And when did Nobel Prize become a measurement of a societys contribution to the world anyway?

I know it is hard for an average joe to understand this. As most of your cyllabus is about US history, (short as it is) But the chinese civilization has existed far longer than 60 years. :lol: And their contribution to the world is not measured solely by number of nobel prizes. :rofl:

You need more history lessons?

Last edited:

average american

So now you are telling us the citizenship determines the probability of Nobel Prize?:laugh:
Is that writen in your application for green card? If you become an american citizen, then your chance of becoming a Nobel Prize winner magically increase?

Quite a few of them received their education in China. Without those educations , they wouldnt contribute at all in US universities. Is that hard to understand for an average joe?:p You gonna take credit for that as well?

Regardless their place of birth, or when they changed their citizenships, they all contributed to the world of science. Unlike some average joe.

Israel? You got be kidding me.
Israel was supported by US with billions of dollars each year. Most of them received their higher education in other countries before they migrated to Israel. You gonna take credit away from those countries?

For better part of the 50s, 60s and 70s, China had to direct her resources to fight US, the soviet etc.
In case you still havnt figured that out, it means less money to build your country including your education system.

If you can barely feed your population, where is the incentives to create Nobel Prize winners?
And when did Nobel Prize become a measurement of a societys contribution to the world anyway?

I know it is hard for an average joe to understand this. As most of your cyllabus is about US history, (short as it is) But the chinese civilization has existed far longer than 60 years. :lol: And their contribution to the world is not measured solely by number of nobel prizes. :rofl:

You need more history lessons?
Wel lets look at the facts, most of them were educated mainly in the USA if not born here of Chinese parents. So far the county of China has never produced a Nobel Prize winner for science, every Chinese (8) that has won a Nobel prize has become an american to do it. (Of course 8 is pretty piteful when you consider about 20 percent of the worlds population is Chinese.)

China's scientists have so far failed to win a Nobel Prize. Political interference,
certain aspects of cultural heritage, and a problematic value system have arguably
been major contributing factors. This essay examines the ways in which these factors have
operated, and discusses why there is a growing 'Nobel Prize mania' in China today.

CHINESE SCIENCE AND THE 'NOBEL PRIZE COMPLEX'
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~chinaus/publications/Minerva-2004.pdf

Last edited:

no smoking

Country flag
@ no smoking, one more from the Chinese, :rolleyes:

US Pivot to the Asia-Pacific and Its Impact on Regional Security

Zhu Feng
June 25, 2012

Regional security in East Asia is in transition. The United States has recently launched the first wave of its "Obama offensive." From Honolulu to Bali, and from Australia to the Philippines, the United States reasserted its high-profile leadership role of the Asia-Pacific region while vowing to tie China down to the rule of law as a responsible stakeholder. To this end, President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hilary Clinton have coordinated their offensive. They announced the establishment of a new military base at Darwin Port in northern Australia, ushered in the Manila Declaration promising a security guarantee and economic partnership with the Philippines and pushed for a new framework based on multilateral resolution to the South China Sea issue at the East Asia Summit in Bali in an effort to address US concerns over the freedom of navigation. This offensive is obviously grounded in a strategy of persuading and even compelling China through strong US engagement in the region. Despite repeated denials by US government officials of any intention to contain China, the Obama offensive has touched off a media frenzy of "strategic encirclement" of China. It now appears that the US-China relationship might be headed towards the brink of a new Cold War.

full article:
US Pivot to the Asia-Pacific and Its Impact on Regional Security — The Tokyo Foundation

(Zhu Feng is a professor in the School of International Studies and the deputy director of the Center for International and Strategic Studies at Beijing University.)

Center for International and Strategic Studies,Peking University
First you have to understand the difference between chinese scholar's view and chinese leaders' view.
Second, you have to understand wht is the difference between real opinion and propaganda.
Third, when you see "The Tokyo Foundation", you will know this article is not better than a joke: no one takes it seriously.
Even a chinese tabloid may carry more value than that.

Zebra

Country flag
First you have to understand the difference between chinese scholar's view and chinese leaders' view.

Second, you have to understand wht is the difference between real opinion and propaganda.

Third, when you see "The Tokyo Foundation", you will know this article is not better than a joke: no one takes it seriously.

Even a chinese tabloid may carry more value than that.
If so then, please, enlighten me.

ice berg

Wel lets look at the facts, most of them were educated mainly in the USA if not born here of Chinese parents. So far the county of China has never produced a Nobel Prize winner for science, every Chinese (8) that has won a Nobel prize has become an american to do it. (Of course 8 is pretty piteful when you consider about 20 percent of the worlds population is Chinese.)

China's scientists have so far failed to win a Nobel Prize. Political interference,
certain aspects of cultural heritage, and a problematic value system have arguably
been major contributing factors. This essay examines the ways in which these factors have
operated, and discusses why there is a growing 'Nobel Prize mania' in China today.

CHINESE SCIENCE AND THE 'NOBEL PRIZE COMPLEX'
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~chinaus/publications/Minerva-2004.pdf
I dislike to repeat myself. So this is my last post.

From your own article:
In 1957, for example, Chen Ning Yang and Tsung-Dao
Lee, while working at the Institute for Advanced Studies in Princeton
and at Columbia University, respectively, were awarded the Nobel Prize in
Physics for disproving the law of conservation of parity. At that time, both
held passports issued by China's Nationalist (Kuomintang)

Maybe get your facts right first?

Some of the answers are already adressed if you bother to read your own article:
"The low level of Nobel Prize-relevant research in China is partly due
to a lack of investment."
China was a backward country when the commies took over. They were dirt poor.
With 99 percent of population lacking basic educations.Hell, most of them didnt even have access to clean water or enough food. How you gonna be able to produce world class scientists, if they lack the basic infrastructures?

US citizenship is not a magic doorway to become a Nobel Price winner. Many of those you mentioned received their education in China before they went aboard. There is no way you can separate their earlier educations and work from the work they did in US. Did you not use of the language, logic skills and knowledges that you learned during your earlier days when you conducting higher education or doing research? Is the connection here lost to an average joe like yourself? Do I really have to explain to you like you are a child? I really dislike to talk to an adult this way.

There is no correlation between green card and success in science. Got it?

I also suggest you read your own article:
"For example, the scientific community has long recognized that important
disciplines other than physics, chemistry, and physiology and medicine
are not mentioned in Nobel's will.
In any case, simple
numbers of laureates do not necessarily reflect a country's scientific
wellbeing. Awarding the Prize to scientists working in India has not appreciably raised the general level of science and technology in that country"

Read it a couple times and look again at your own post.

Last edited:

average american

Back to the real world people from the USA either born there or immigrated there have earned 331 Nobel prizes, People from China that did not leave China have earned only one nobel prize in spited of there being 1.4 billion Chinese, and only 316 million americans 1/5th. Then there is the fact that China Nobel prize winner is still in prison. People like you who are insecure may become defensive and hostile when some challenges their prejudice an opinions. Of course if you were raised in China, with all their censorship you never got use to people have a differant opinon from the offical version.

no smoking

Country flag
If so then, please, enlighten me.
Simple, if you want to talk something significant, do you prefer to talk face to face or send the message through third party?

So, if there is really some worry hold by Chinese gov or this guy, the paper should published in a chinese paper or US paper.

huaxia rox

Back to the real world people from the USA either born there or immigrated there have earned 331 Nobel prizes, People from China that did not leave China have earned only one nobel prize in spited of there being 1.4 billion Chinese, and only 316 million americans 1/5th. Then there is the fact that China Nobel prize winner is still in prison. People like you who are insecure may become defensive and hostile when some challenges their prejudice an opinions. Of course if you were raised in China, with all their censorship you never got use to people have a differant opinon from the offical version.
1 the current situation is clear......not just Nobel prize my us friend.....compared to the us prc is no match in any aspect at this point of time....leave alone nobel prize winners.......

2 i would like to talk about the trend of development 1st.....u know everything is developing......back in 1950s african americans cant even sit close to u in a bus my white guy friend.....but what about now??? likewise prc has a range of problems but it doesnt mean we wont solve that in the future.....we r confident of dealing with a couple of issues and we need some time......after 20 years if u and me got a chance and come to this forum again maybe we will both have some new finds about prc and the us......

3 back to the topic.....new cold war or not is not what needs to be concerned too much so long as hot war is not taking place as far as i m concerned.....of coz the us is most powerful country at this point but it doesnt mean the us can wage war where ever and when ever they like otherwise iran and north korea have already gone down without the need of the US warnning them that much........

4 prc is weaker militarily and economically compared to the us as i ve said....and prc doesnt have territorial dispute with the us unlike india here so prc has no intention of having any sort of war with the us....how ever that doesnt mean we have no bottemline on taiwan issue......in some rare situation in which the us occupies taiwan or makes prc not able to control taiwan if they suddenly go independent i think a conflict will surely take place......

5 so whats your opinion as an american.....u expecting a cold or hot war between the us and prc??...... or actually nothing apart from keeping doing business and complainning each other for some minor issues every now and then??

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
5 so whats your opinion as an american.....u expecting a cold or hot war between the us and prc??...... or actually nothing apart from keeping doing business and complainning each other for some minor issues every now and then??
In my opinion, its the same between India and China - there will be no war or conflict - there will just be business and complaints. You prick our ass once, we retaliate. Then we prick your ass once, and you retaliate. This will keep happening for the foreseeable future - the next two decades at least. After that things may change, but that is still a long way off.

huaxia rox

in the forseabale future most likely yes......but in the long run i dont agree.....india has land issue with prc......cpc power sometimes can act and sometimes is like a coward........i dont know what they will do about the issue so i think its unpredictable.......

for india....when BJP takes power in the next eclection maybe nothings gonna happen.....but if they can luckily keep in power for another 2 decades we dont know what they will do about the dispute......

Zebra

Country flag
Simple, if you want to talk something significant, do you prefer to talk face to face or send the message through third party?
:shocked: :confused:

Dude, it is a deadly bouncer bowl, even I can't play a hook shot. :D

Anyway, PM it to me.

OR

PM it to the Mod/ Admin. I don't think they will mind it.

But inform me when you PM it, so that later on I can request them for it.

Is that OK for you?

So, if there is really some worry hold by Chinese gov or this guy, the paper should published in a chinese paper or US paper.
Check post #99, the first article is from the same guy and it is from a US news paper. The third article is also from US.

btw, What is wrong with Japanese papers?

Last edited:

average american

I doubt if the USA would go to war over Taiwan, I think we are bluffing there. There is not the fesr of China there was of the USSR and that was because of a expansive communist ideology that had spread over eastern europe, asia, and into south america. China is seen as more a competitor then an enemy.
I see a much more chance of a cold war between the west and Islamic countries then I do China, especially if there is some kind of Muslim brotherhood of a number of countries. We will prepare for a war with China because just in case we are wrong.and they are or will be the strongest threat. If you can take on the big dog in the pack, its easy to take on the little dogs.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles