US cannot accept China military power

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
so, that is what your education told you?....en,it shows me exactly how "great free medias" and "west educaiton system" brainwash people!

have you really read any book written by Marx? have you really studied the history of communism?

BTW,
He's saying that during the cold war the western media portrayed Russians as Commies; and Commies as scum of the Earth. Chinese are not getting the same treatment from the media (western)

pmaitra

Gorbachev was popular BEFORE he broke up the Soviet Union. It was not because of his views of managing the soviet union, but because he was a very likable PERSON - he routinely would respect Americans for what they were, and even did simple things like talk to and joke with the people driving him around (when he visited the US) as well as the common citizens of the US - something unheard of among previous Soviet leaders. What was even more impressive was that this was in a period of heightened cold war tensions after the relative stability of detente in the 70's.

The point you were implying was that China > USSR as China hasn't collapsed yet - however, as I stated, the context was FAR different - China has no satellite states under its control to speak of (except Tibet and Pakistan, LOL! and the CCP's attempts to steal AP). The Kremlin's inability to continue its control over their satellite states is what ultimately led to the break up of the Soviet Union.

The US - implied by you as China's biggest rival - has a unique relationship with China, not only from economic ties, but think of the generations of Chinese who have been migrating to the US for a century, as well as all of those that migrate their permanently today, or go to study etc.

This was not the case in the Cold War era, where Russians = Commies and Commies = scum of the Earth.
I beg to disagree. Gorbachev is still popular in the west. He is hailed as the usherer of democracy in the Eastern Bloc. The fact is that the west likes Gorbachev only because he single handedly destroyed the state machinery of the USSR. The west also likes Yeltsin because he completed the unfinished task of completely dismantling the USSR.

FYI, even Putin likes to crack jokes once in a while, when he visits foreign countries.

I will have to agree with badguy2000 here.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Gorbachev and Yeltsin are among the two most hated people in Russia. Just go ask any Russian.

pmaitra

Gorbachev and Yeltsin are among the two most hated people in Russia. Just go ask any Russian.
Absolutely.

Here is some interesting news:

GORBACHEV SLAPPED AGAIN.

Presidential candidate Mikhail Gorbachev was slapped in the face today in Volgograd by a woman said to be a supporter of the radical Working Russia movement. (Itar-Tass, UPI, May 9) This is the second time in as many weeks that the former Soviet president, whom many Russians blame for the breakup of the USSR, has been hit in the face by a member of the public.

Source: http://www.jamestown.org/single/?no_cache=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=21604&tx_ttnews[backPid]=210
With Yeltsin, there are some apologists, but his popularity soon plummeted within a year after the RSFSR gained independence from the USSR.

Now, to get back to PRC, the west will definitely hail anybody who (if and when) manages to dismantle the PRC, even if his actions brought miseries to the common Chinese.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
West will like everyone who has ruined Russia's might dude. There is simply no reason why Russians would do the same. Yeltsin practically gifted Russia in the hands of mafia. Gorbachev made the road for this and it took a man like Putin to put Russia in one piece overcoming every damn odd. LOL!

Explains why West loved the two former leaders. :D

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
West will like everyone who has ruined Russia's might dude. There is simply no reason why Russians would do the same. Yeltsin practically gifted Russia in the hands of mafia. Gorbachev made the road for this and it took a man like Putin to put Russia in one piece overcoming every damn odd. LOL!

Explains why West loved the two former leaders. :D
West loves those who betray there own and do there bidding!!

Like saudi royal family who wouldn't last a year without backing from the yanks or any other puppet dictator in middle east.

Why look for endorsement from west in the first place ?

niharjhatn

I beg to disagree. Gorbachev is still popular in the west. He is hailed as the usherer of democracy in the Eastern Bloc. The fact is that the west likes Gorbachev only because he single handedly destroyed the state machinery of the USSR. The west also likes Yeltsin because he completed the unfinished task of completely dismantling the USSR.

FYI, even Putin likes to crack jokes once in a while, when he visits foreign countries.

I will have to agree with badguy2000 here.
Are you disagreeing with the fact that Gorbachev was popular in the West? Gorbachev popularity in the West soared during the 1980's, before the USSR was dismantled in the early 90's.
Gorbachev himself did not seek to end communism in Russia, in fact, his actions were described as a final attempt to 'save' communism. Russia was in no state, especially after Afghanistan, to maintain its military might, continue technological advances, and try to improve living standards. Russia's satellite states were also vey dependant on Russia to provide supplies.
Some historians describe the reason for the end of Cold War as Russia going bankrupt over trying to keep up with the US militarily, and the evidence certainly presents itself to me in a similar manner. Russia was having a hard time matching the armament production and development of the West, and would have gone bankrupt chasing a similarly dramatic SDI program as Reagan did.
BTW, I compared views of Gorbachev to previous Soviet leaders, not Putin, who entered a vastly different playing field of International relations.

niharjhatn

so, that is what your education told you?....en,it shows me exactly how "great free medias" and "west educaiton system" brainwash people!

have you really read any book written by Marx? have you really studied the history of communism?

BTW,
LOL what are you talking about? That was the view of the west in relation to the USSR during the cold war - wtf does Marx have to do with it?

Forget the media, read some of the literature produced by civilian authors of the US and you will always find commentary on the USSR and communism - even in children's comics, such as Calvin and Hobbes, and of course, big name authors, like Tom Clancy, and then see the popularity of those literature. See LurkerBaba's post as well.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
you should know better. when an official chinese newspaper say China is going to do something it typically happens. but fine, that wasnt my point. read again if you missed it.
Oh really? Last year CCP announced they were going to be dropping housing prices by as much as 40%, so everybody get ready. Guess what... it never happened. Housing prices are still on the rise and at double digits. They don't have the guts to drop prices because it will cause a banking crisis.

simple fact, China has let the yuan appreciate before under its floating peg system.
Yuan didn't appreciate, the US dollar fell due to quantitative easing. PBOC couldn't afford to drop it that low to keep up or inflation would sky rocket. CCP isn't as flexible as you think.

so in summary, no, China is very stable with 1 party gov. China's inflation hardly proves anything for instability especially when China purposely keeps its currency undervalued. raising interest is NOT the only way to combat inflation. the reserve ratio DOES fight inflation because it reduces how much money is in circulation and is NOT the only way China fight inflation.
So in summary, no. China is not very stable with a 1 party government. It has tied its hands on the amount of monetary policy methods at its disposal because it is so fragile, any major shock will bring down the exporters living on the margins or the property bubble which is now the new impetus of growth in China. The value of the currency all depends on how much the property values are real or inflated. When CCP says it is up to 40% over valued, you know you have a problem. The quai is probably at or slightly above its real value. Raising interests rates is the only meaningful way to combat inflation if raising reserve requirements does not stop banks from lending. There is so much hidden lending going on, 2010 is going to exceed 2009. Reserve requirements has been the only thing PBOC has done the past couple years, now they moved 25 basis points when they need to move 300-400.

any questions "professional" economist let me know.
Sure, where did you get the idea that China's inflation is not a large factor in its stability equation? Everyone in China knows this, including the Frenchy in GZ.

JustForLaughs

Oh really? Last year CCP announced they were going to be dropping housing prices by as much as 40%, so everybody get ready. Guess what... it never happened. Housing prices are still on the rise and at double digits. They don't have the guts to drop prices because it will cause a banking crisis.

Yuan didn't appreciate, the US dollar fell due to quantitative easing. PBOC couldn't afford to drop it that low to keep up or inflation would sky rocket. CCP isn't as flexible as you think.

So in summary, no. China is not very stable with a 1 party government. It has tied its hands on the amount of monetary policy methods at its disposal because it is so fragile, any major shock will bring down the exporters living on the margins or the property bubble which is now the new impetus of growth in China. The value of the currency all depends on how much the property values are real or inflated. When CCP says it is up to 40% over valued, you know you have a problem. The quai is probably at or slightly above its real value. Raising interests rates is the only meaningful way to combat inflation if raising reserve requirements does not stop banks from lending. There is so much hidden lending going on, 2010 is going to exceed 2009. Reserve requirements has been the only thing PBOC has done the past couple years, now they moved 25 basis points when they need to move 300-400.

Sure, where did you get the idea that China's inflation is not a large factor in its stability equation? Everyone in China knows this, including the Frenchy in GZ.
1. not the same thing

China's banks can tolerate housing price drop between 30% to 40%
http://www.china.org.cn/video/2010-05/12/content_20024686.htm

unless you are talking about something else

President Hu Jintao said Monday that China would continue to allow its currency to appreciate,
http://www.economyincrisis.org/content/china-pledges-allow-currency-appreciate

"China has a history of allowing its currency to appreciate before a major international event," Dariusz Kowalczyk, senior economist at Credit Agricole CIB in Hong Kong told MarketWatch.
http://www.nuwireinvestor.com/artic...hest-level-in-18-years-against-the-56753.aspx

"The RMB has appreciated by 21 percent since 2005 and the gradual and measured growth of the currency is the right policy for China," Sakakibara said."

http://www.china.org.cn/opinion/2010-04/03/content_19742171.htm

i think i have enough to prove China has in fact allowed appreciation.

3. your logic is horrible. by definition, a 1 party state is more stable because they are not threatened by other parties. while there are limits to what CCP can do, the recession fully proved China is quite fine compared to other countries. good so you realize now RR DOES work. your so called "if" and "hidden lending" needs links. especially since Chinese banks are state owned, i find it amusing you claim they are breaking their own rules.

4. anyway, you spend most of your reply bringing up erroneous side factor like hidden lending and when i bring up other method besides interest or even interest itself you say it is not enough. degree wasnt even the point, it was whether or not.

5. inflation is a big problem for China but it doesnt threaten China's stability any more than raising interest is the ONLY way to fight inflation or that the ONLY way China is fighting inflation is RR. like i posted, other countries have either worse inflation or similar inflation trends as China. so if China's stability is in question due to inflation others are worse as proved already by the world recession.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles