US 7th fleet base in Bangladesh?

Zebra

Country flag
U.S. Will Lean on Technology As Asia-Pacific Pivot Continues: Panetta

May. 31, 2012 - 09:11PM |
By MARCUS WEISGERBER

ABOARD A U.S. MILITARY AIRCRAFT — The Pentagon needs to develop new equipment that is geared to the Asia-Pacific, a vast region that also will likely see an increase in the number of troops based there.

DoD also needs to "invest in new technologies that will help us build a stronger power projection" in the Pacific region, U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said early June 1 local time during a briefing with reporters during a flight to Singapore.

Panetta is scheduled to give a major policy speech that outline U.S. operations in the Pacific on June 2 at the Shangri-La Dialogue, a gathering of top-level, regional defense officials held annually in the city state.

Panetta is also scheduled to make stops in Vietnam and India during his nine-day trip to the Pacific, a region that DoD has placed a greater focus on in a new military strategy released in January.

"The purpose of this trip is to define the new defense strategy for the region, particularly the emphasis on the rebalancing to the Asia-Pacific region," he said. "We have a strong presence now in the Pacific, but we'll continue to strengthen presence over the next five to 10 years."

The United States now has about 330,000 troops in the Pacific and "we're going to continue to strengthen that for the future," Panetta said.

"The likelihood is that there will be increased personnel going into the region in order to perform different roles," he said. "When you look at the proportion of forces that we have in the world, I think it's fair to say that a higher percentage, a higher proportion of those forces are going to wind up in the Pacific."

Earlier in the day, Panetta met with Adm. Samuel Locklear, the head of U.S. Pacific Command, to discuss implementing the new strategy.

Hawaii will remain the hub for U.S. military operations in the Pacific, Panetta said during a speech at Pacific Command headquarters.

There, he told troops that they are "on the front lines of what the United States really cares about in terms of the future."

"More than ever, Hawaii remains that key center for operations throughout the Asia-Pacific region," he said.

There are a number of "key, shared principles" that are "critical to achieving" the goals of the defense strategy, Panetta said.

The Pacific needs to be a "rules-based region that relies on rules in international order," he said. DoD also wants to build partnerships "and try to modernize our alliances and partnerships in the region to build on their capabilities" with countries in the region, including China.

DoD also wants to strengthen its presence in the region, particularly though rotational deployments, which would be similar to the arrangement the Pentagon has with Australia to deploy Marines there.

The Pentagon "working on" an arrangement like this in the Philippines and "elsewhere," Panetta said without naming additional countries.

U.S. Will Lean on Technology As Asia-Pacific Pivot Continues: Panetta | Defense News | defensenews.com

pankaj nema

Country flag
Chittagong JUST DOES NOT add up

The more you look at the map ; you will wonder how Chittagong can be useful

File:Location Burma (Myanmar) ASEAN.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Myanmar too has a very attractive and lengthy Coastline which
is ends very close to the Straits of Mallaca

If really Myanmar wants to dump China and embrace USA then this is the best oppurtunity

Uncle Sam is looking for a new HOUSE for its multi billion dollar warships :ranger:

kickok1975

Looks like this US 7th fleet really makes our Indian friends paranoid. It's a process of shock → worry → self comfort → joyful. As long as they "think" it is meant to contain China they would feel much relieved

7th fleet has been stationed near China for half century to contain her. I don't see it go to India Ocean will do much the course rather than expanding their influence to Indian Ocean to potentially contain another future power.

Country flag
Bangladesh is not an ideal location for the seventh fleet, Sri lanka maybe a better
location or possibly independent Baluchistan?

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
7th fleet being stationed? Unlikely and makes no sense why. Some assets being docked? Quite possible.

If the answer to the latter is a yes, sure India would have been involved somewhere, there is no way on something as sensitive as this the US wouldn't have taken India onboard.

Should it worry us? If the country's higher ups, both politicians and the armed forces chaps, are okay with it, one would imagine the larger interest of the country would have been looked into.

Will this be in India's benefit completely? India would have hardly figured for one, India's say remains rather limited, at worst India would have just been informed, at best there would have been some sweet talk, sugar coated, ego messaged and then the news. Yes, it benefits us to the extent it brings a check on the Chinese activity which otherwise remains largely unchecked, but is that the end of it? There is a lot more, and a lot of things might not be in our best interest, at worst, if tomorrow things start to go bad with the US, we would be wondering how foolish could the then politicians and the heads of the armed forces be who gave a nod in a yes for such a thing to happen. Forget things getting worse with theUS, you are practically allowing one more country enter the space, which would only reduce your bargaining power with the host country and imagine, this is what we consider as our backyard.

About BD, MY and growing US influence and what happens to China? Let's get real, if we are trying to look at everything from the shades of the zero-sum game, nothing of the sort is happening, neither are the BDs and MYs as juvenile. Yes, China's influence will be checked, but what you would have is both these countries, BD and MY, keeping their interests would extract whatever they can. The era of these countries acting as colonies, if ever it was like that, is over. Look at how even after all the public rhetoric, China and the US have cooperated on Iran, and how as a result China has extracted some very good deals. China will never be forced out of BD, and MY, in the scheme of things one more player would have added to the mix.

Country flag
USA has been the Indian Ocean for 6 decades -Diego Garcia
what difference will this make?

Country flag
Naval base today. How long before a missile defence shield is setup?
If it is it will probably have indian involvement? USA will not spend billions for Bangladesh.
what good will a missile shield be against SLBM's?

trackwhack

If it is it will probably have indian involvement? USA will not spend billions for Bangladesh.
what good will a missile shield be against SLBM's?
This will undermine our strategic interests. I am out of this thread if everyone prefers to blatantly ignore the obvious.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
This will undermine our strategic interests. I am out of this thread if everyone prefers to blatantly ignore the obvious.
This thread sickens me and people ignoring the white elephant sicken me further.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Do you think the Indian govt did not ok this? That should be more sickening.
If it did then it is batshit insane and needs to be toppled. On this point only id want it to lose elections apart from other reasons. But national security takes presidence over everything.

Last edited:
Country flag
If it did then it is batshit insane and needs to be toppled. On this point only id want it to lose elections apart from other reasons. But national security takes presidence over everything.
If true I am sure the govt agreed long back when they were doing Naval exercises with US.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles