US: 10 dead in shooting during 'The Dark Knight Rises' show

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Russian MPs suggest allowing public use of firearms shortly after Colorado shootings

Following the shooting spree in a Colorado cinema, Russian legislators have drafted a bill which would allow public use of firearms. The law's sponsors hope to curb crime rates, while opponents say legal air-guns already cause enough damage.

-The principle behind the drafted bill allowing the private use of handguns is "my home is my castle," so any invasion of private space could be met with loaded barrels.

Aleksandr Torshin, who drafted the bill, says pistol owners might get divided into several groups. Some would be sanctioned to use weapons to protect their homes only, while others would be authorized to take handguns in their cars. The most privileged group would be permitted to carry pistols anywhere. This third category could include postmen, ambulance staff and social workers.

To have the right to use handguns, Russians would have to prove they are not mentally ill, have no criminal record, are not addicted to alcohol or drugs and undergo special training.

Torshin and his supporters think more guns would bring down crime rates. It has also been suggested that Russia's GDP would benefit from a gun sales boom and the industry would become more competitive given the surge in demand. The average cost of a pistol is around $300, while the number of potential pistol buyers is as high as 23 million, according to Torshin's estimates.

Opponents dispute the logic underpinning the bill. MPs say that air-guns, which are already allowed in Russia, are more than enough for self-defense. A rubber bullet fired from such a weapon can break a skull and inflict a deadly wound.

Experts also doubt the new law would help to discipline the public. Air-guns are quite frequently used in street rows instead of self-defense, so making a stock of firearms available to the public would only criminalize society, they point out.

"I am totally against this initiative," Veniamin Rodzyansky, a member of the Public Chamber, told RT. "We remember the case of the football fan Egor Sviridov. He was shot dead with a non-lethal gun."

"This whole debate has a single cause, namely that society feels unsafe. It wants justice and it's up to the government to provide this protection. To provide it, and not to sell it to people for money," added Rodzyansky.

A 100-page draft law was released Wednesday, while the upper chamber of Russia's Parliament listened to Torshin's report on Tuesday. Russia's government has already called the bill "unnecessary and ill-timed", but the legislators are still to pass their judgment. If the initiative is approved, the draft will get a full hearing in one of the autumn sessions.
More @ Source = RT

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
America is awash with guns (not just self-defense pistols and revolvers, but assault rifles!). This is bound to happen, and will definitely happen again and again ad infinitum until American law enforcement agencies can come up with the something like in the movie Minority Report (read the minds of would-be criminals before they commit the criminal act). In fact, without any intention of wishing ill to anyone, this may happen again this year in the US. Appalling but preventable (at least in scale) if America will only be stricter with gun ownership. But I guess the NRA lobby is simply too much for American politicians. So they're doomed to always be on edge in public places as some Rambo-like American can anytime appear near them and start spraying automatic gun fires indiscriminately at people. :scared1:

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
BTW, I don't believe that owning gun can really protect you against determined or crazy attackers. Can you use your gun if you're shot in the back? Or while driving or parking our car? Or while coming out of movie theaters after a good movie?

The easily accessible guns are the more chances that a lot of these guns will fall in the wrong hands (people who are crazy as against professional criminals).

And granting that some modicum of personal defense should be available to the masses, I think assault rifles are overkill and unnecessary. You really need an M16 or AK47 to defend yourself? From shooters who will shoot you when you least expect it? Crazy.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
BTW, I don't believe that owning gun can really protect you against determined or crazy attackers. Can you use your gun if you're shot in the back? Or while driving or parking our car? Or while coming out of movie theaters after a good movie?

The easily accessible guns are the more chances that a lot of these guns will fall in the wrong hands (people who are crazy as against professional criminals).

And granting that some modicum of personal defense should be available to the masses, I think assault rifles are overkill and unnecessary. You really need an M16 or AK47 to defend yourself? From shooters who will shoot you when you least expect it? Crazy.
There is evidence that in US jurisdictions where citizens are allowed to carry concealed weapons, crime rates are lower than where strict gun control exists.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
There is evidence that in US jurisdictions where citizens are allowed to carry concealed weapons, crime rates are lower than where strict gun control exists.
I haven't read John Lott's book and hence I do not know the details of the positive correlation between gun ownership and reduced crime. However I must point out that there's also evidence showing a correlation between gun related fatalities and legislature, as in states with stricter gun control laws have lesser gun related deaths. I also find it interesting that crime rates across the board have been reducing in the US over time with the exception of gun related homicides. We also know that crime rates can be heavily culled through implementation of sound policy as in the case of New York City, where clearly gun ownership wasn't part of the solution.

Although I live in an area which is very averse to gun ownership, I don't particularly have a problem with having guns for defensive purposes in a home setting. However one does not need a semi automatic assault weapon in order to defend one's property.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
31000 Americans died from gun related violence last year vs 17 Americans killed in terror strikes

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
31000 Americans died from gun related violence last year vs 17 Americans killed in terror strikes
"war on guns" will be obamas next warcry after he gets re-elected. :pound:

ewald will be up in arms!!

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
"war on guns" will be obamas next warcry after he gets re-elected. :pound:

ewald will be up in arms!!
1. The NRA will benefit from whatever Obama attempts.

2. Gun control is not a formula for political success in any case.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles