Uniform Civil Code

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Yusuf, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Well i started this thread to understand the UCC, and why it was important for some to implement and others not to.

As far as im concerned, yes im not an authority on Sharia, just like most of the members on this board who think Sharia is irrelevant in todays world. Only if we have in depth knowledge we can say it is or it is not. What i know is what i have studied about.

2. Samudra

Samudra New Member

The last time I was in India I had ordered a book written by Arun Shourie. It's called 'A Secular Agenda' - I wasn't able to get it. I'd think that would be a good read.

3. Yusuf

Would try that. But then though Shourie has been good journo, he now belongs to the BJP. So his neutrality should be put to question. Wonder if there are any apolitical,unbiased reads?

4. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

The Sharia has been Mis intrepreted over the years by lunatics for their own use. I feel it has become Draconian. I personally dont mind UCC, whats the big deal I feel.

I feel India is not Truly secular, because it supports Religions, be it Islam with the Haj Subsidy or the others. Equality should be there, that will be the basis, no need of UCC, I say give the Pilgrims among Hindus some deal like the Muslims gets and try to make everyone feel they are not being neglected.

5. Yusuf

Why subsidize anything at all? Im not a subsidies person. In fact in our community,we go via international passport and not the ones issued by the Haj committee that subsidizes.

6. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Well, not all can afford to go to Haj, as you know a number of muslims are poor in this country. It is indeed a positive discrimination, if it could be applied to others as well or scrap it as a whole.

7. ahmedsid

Yeah, me too against Subsidies, but if they are needed then it should be equal. Even not many I know use the Subsidy. India is a country of diversity, we should try to take everyone along smoothly.

8. Yusuf

People link subsidizing Haj with the Amarnath yatra. Its not a match as the Haj subsidy will be a lot more than Amarnath Yatra.

9. Flint

Flint Senior Member Senior Member

if GOI starts subsiding hindus the coffers will go empty.

10. Yusuf

Thats right. So end all subsidies. How much are they subsidizing anyway? What percentage?

11. ahmedsid

Offtopic:
    Let me tell everyone clearly that Its stated that If a Muslim cant go for Haj because of lack of Money, he need not go. A Haj is permissible only when one is Healthy and Wealthy. Actually many people go for Hajj on Wheel chairs, which is actually not permissible, I believe such people should sponsor others.

UCC is mooted by people claiming that there is inequality, Muslims are backward, they should be helped not Used. Which Party has done this?

Amarnath Yatrees can be helped out by Govt I believe, it wont empty the coffers will it Flint? I dont know, just asking.

12. Flint

It'll be political suicide if anybody does it. Once its done it cannot be undone - that's true for most such things.
    Look at reservations for example - when they were first introduced there was a deadline (2 decades I think) to revoke them. They never got revoked. Infact they are still being extended by this administration to include more and more 'disadvantaged' groups.

But IMO its a minor issue, the much more important issue for muslims is to wean them off the more backward aspects of Islamic law.

13. Flint

It will open the proverbial Pandora's box - first Amarnath then Kumbh Mela then Vaishno Devi then Rameshwaram then Jagannath etc. etc will keep going on.

14. Yusuf

The backward aspects on Islamic laws dont apply to India do they?

15. Vinod2070

Vinod2070 मध्यस्थ Stars and Ambassadors

Why do you think they don't apply to India?

16. afriend

afriend Regular Member

Well.. its always good have a uniform civil code.. So that there is no discrimination against different sect.. if you have different laws for different people.. how can we say we are secular..!!!! If muslim marries twice its ok.. if hindus marry twice its polygamy..!! I dont get that logic..!!! Uniform civil code doesnt take away any rights from the people.. but provides equal and more rights to its citizen.. i believe this is one step towards being a TRUELY secular nation.. and throwing out the devisive laws..!!!!

17. ahmedsid

There is no such Backward law I believe, its only the Misintrepetation of Laws, be them religious or otherwise. The Muslims in India are backward because there is no true genuine voice for them, and all the parties have used them. Its time for them to rise up, but then there is a limit to how much you can help someone doesnt want to help himself.

18. ahmedsid

friend, ask any Good Islamic Scholar and he will tell you that Marrying more than one was made Legal in Islam to Rehabilitate Widows, who were Social Outcasts in Arabia during the advent of Arabia. Not only that, their numbers were rising due to the wars and feuds going on in the Dark Ages. Its not applicable now in a Society where there is equality, but still Widows find it hard to live by, but this Marrying twice thing has been utilised by Man for his own pleasure.

Then, the Hindus and Christians have their own laws which says they cant marry more than once, so why would they be bothered about a Muslim Law? If they want to marry more, then they are welcome to become Muslims LOL

19. ahmedsid

All Said and Done, I am for the Uniform Civil Code, but why is there so much of Voices against it? Some Elaborate?

20. afriend

afriend Regular Member

Well exactly..!!! One more reason for advocating UCC. You know people tend to interpret these personal laws in their own way..!!! ;) ...